PDA

View Full Version : New Universal Remote

redm
12-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I've been getting a bit fed up with all these remotes so I'm going back to a universal controller. I don't have much to control, mostly I use my iPad or the Oppo remote. I've been comparing the current Harmony remotes, my original Logitech Harmony remote, and the URC series.

I need to control:

PS Audio P5 (to turn overall power on and off)
PS Audio PWD MK II (which I almost never change and powers up automatically)
MC C2300 which is pretty much volume control and input
OPPO BD-103 which is eject, navigate and play

I do not need RF (I don't want IR transmitters sticking on the front of my equipment)

Since I'm not doing anything with TV etc, some of the higher end remotes seem like a waste. The C2300 remote is not universal, not sure about the Oppo.

I've looked at the Harmony 650/700/One/1100 and 900. Also the entire series of URC's (most of which seem well out of what I need price wise)

I want a remote that supports the current equipment, I suspect the original Harmony I have will not support the newer equipment (can anyone confirm this)?

I eliminated the URC's because of the need for professional programming (even if I can do it myself I don't want to deal with a process designed for a professional installer) and because there seems to be better value at the Harmony end.

It seems for the very basic operations I need, the 650 is more then sufficient although I really like the 1's styling and limited physical buttons. I'm ok spending up to around $300 but I'm having a hard time justifying anything about the 650. Are there any reasons to get one of the upper end Harmony's that I may not be considering before I purchase a 650?

LordoftheRingsEE
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I use the Harmony 550 (the 650's predecessor), and it controls EVERYTHING, even the stuff made today!
...Paid fifty bucks for it, brand new, on sale. :)

redm
12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I use the Harmony 550 (the 650's predecessor), and it controls EVERYTHING, even the stuff made today!
...Paid fifty bucks for it, brand new, on sale. :)

Interesting, I wonder if my original Harmony would support the latest equipment today....

What are you controlling with your 550?

Josquin des Prez
12-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Harmony.

I have a One for the HT system, and a 700 — that is now discontinued I think — for the bedroom. Both work great.

They support the same devices, since the control codes are downloaded from the internet. They vary in other features (# of devices you can control, color vs BW display, etc, RF support, etc). If the devices aren't in Harmony's database, the control codes can still be learned.

Rilands
12-29-2012, 09:21 PM
I do not need RF (I don't want IR transmitters sticking on the front of my equipment)

Just an FYI - most of my Mc has a jack in the back for RF, so you don't need to stick those small transmitters on front. At least that's the case with my MS300, MX150, MCD871, & MC205.

Maybe not the 205. I think I have that triggered off the MX150. Can't recall.

LordoftheRingsEE
12-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Interesting, I wonder if my original Harmony would support the latest equipment today....

What are you controlling with your 550?

My Oppo BDP-103.
My Integra DHC-80.3.
My Sony BDP-S770.
My Samsung BD-UP5000.
My Samsung plasma HDTV (2011 model).
My Sony BDP-S570.
My Samsung BD-C6900.
My Rotel RCD-991.
My Toshiba HD-XA1 & HD-XA2.
My Denon DVD-3930CI.

And other components from a second room. ...Five more.

redm
12-30-2012, 12:56 AM
I tried the 1100. After the first update I'm now getting a region error and can no longer update it. I even tried safe mode. Going to return.

Also, the display on the 1100 is terrible. After using an iPhone for years, this thing is like using a palm Treo. Now I see why people buy URC!

Sent from my iPhone

MyPal
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Harmony 900 here :thumbsup: mostly. Not always trigger friendly for a lack of granular control over devices power on/off at the activity level. For example, I hate when sometime the tube amps turn off & on again when switching activities.

I have a 1000 too & never use it. The 1000/1100 series are impractical. They suck.

Be sure to visit the icon harmony website to download your favourite cable tv artwork! :banana:

trek737
12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Wish I had some experience with the Harmony remote but I went with the URC and I am very happy with its use.

Good luck with your decision...

Rilands
12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Wish I had some experience with the Harmony remote but I went with the URC and I am very happy with its use.

+1

Pyro
01-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Just an FYI - most of my Mc has a jack in the back for RF, so you don't need to stick those small transmitters on front. At least that's the case with my MS300, MX150, MCD871, & MC205.

Maybe not the 205. I think I have that triggered off the MX150. Can't recall.

Wow I guess it helps to read the manual. :sigh: Looks like I have a project now replacing those annoying IR transmitters and connecting up in the IR input on the back of my Mc's.

Pider
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM

I am almost ready to buy a Harmony 900. Tell us something about the URC, model you have, etc...... Please. Thanks.

AKA_Hyfi
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Harmony One here and it controls everything I have. I originally purchased an 880 but due to the docking/charging design flaw, after replacing it 3 times I convinced them to just give me the One and they did.

Amherst
01-19-2013, 08:04 AM
I am almost ready to buy a Harmony 900. Tell us something about the URC, model you have, etc...... Please. Thanks.

URC's progammimg interface is more diverse with much less of the limitations inherent in the logitec programming.

I think the remotes themselves are more robust (better built) and reliable also.

trek737
01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

URC's progammimg interface is more diverse with much less of the limitations inherent in the logitec programming.

I think the remotes themselves are more robust (better built) and reliable also.

+1

Love my URL MX-980 remote!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fits in my hand like a glove.
The buttons are big, easy to find and use.
Cool LCD screen to find everything with nice easy to read graphics.
Of course backlit.
Controls all of my lights in the room.
Has marco feature so when you hit the pause button during a movie the lights in the room come on say at 40% or what ever setting you prefer. Like wise when you hit the play button the lights go back down automatically.
Radio freq so you do not need line of site. I really prefer this instead of IR.:thumbsup:
Presets for your favorite tv stations with nice LCD graphic for each channel.
Solid and well built construction.

I debated which way to go before I bought a universal remote. I initially wanted a big touch screen remote because I thought it looked cool sitting on its stand in the room. But here is what I found out from the installers which helped me make my decision. Crestron is expensive and is great if you want to control the whole house but over kill for me. I just needed it for HT use. Control 4 is like a more affordable Creston but still more then I needed for just my HT. All of the guys that I talk with who do HT installs preferred a hand held remote compare to a screen like say Ipad, Crestron, C4 etc. Less cool but in my case more practical and easier to use. It fits easy in to your hand and you do not need two hands to operate it. Another words if your walking around with the remote you only need one hand with the buttons at a thumbs reach. Hard buttons were preferred over a touch screen. This is what they told me.

One disadvantage of the MX-980 is that you need to hire a pro to program it. I went with Best Buy and for a couple hundred dollars they set it up. They had to come out to the house several times because they did not set up all of the features. There were some other issues as well but in the end it all worked out and there was no additional cost for the follow up visits.

I highly recommend this remote. I believe Ivan uses them as well. Maybe he will chime in.

Best of luck.

Cheers

URC MX-980 Universal Remote and MRF-350 with Light Control | Home Theater (http://www.hometheater.com/content/urc-mx-980-universal-remote-and-mrf-350-light-control)

Pider
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I ended up with the URC MX-780. Like it thus far. Good feel in the hand, although the volume and channel buttons are not that easily found at night. Programming requires a computer, but once you get on to it, it's kind of fun.

The big test will be when Mel gets her hands on it. Will she use it? Stay tuned....!

(edit: got the unit via Ivan. Good service once again!)

LordoftheRingsEE
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
-- Mel, is that your cat? ;)