PDA

View Full Version : Premier 11 (EL34) - Advice Please

Vincenzo
12-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I just received a rather unusual Premier 11 - EL34, triode configured. I guess CJ didn't sell many of these, because I have rarely seen mention of one. A beautiful piece it is - these certainly do look better than photos reveal. This one is equipped with SED el34's, about 2 years old, I understand. I’m curious as to what brands of el34’s are being used by those of you with CJ el34 amps (if there are any of you out there).
I did bias the tubes right off the bat. But I notice that one or more of the bias LED’s does come on from time to time, stays on for a minute then goes away. After I first biased the tubes, one turned bright white, significantly brighter than the others – I dropped back the bias a little and it returned to normal. Too be safe I just ordered some new output tubes – but I’m wondering, is it normal for the LED’s to stay lit during warm up?

Masterlu
12-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Bump for input

ronenash
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM
It's perfectly normal for the bias LEDs to stay on during warm up. Don't worry about it.
As for the triod configured Premier 11A, you can have cj change it to pentode. It's a simple modification and worth it if you need more power.

Vincenzo
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks. So far there appears to be enough power at 30 watts triode, but with the present tubes it’s really hard to tell ultimately. Before I received the amp I did call CJ and they said it’s possible to convert to ultralinear – but not with el34’s – they would convert to 6550’s, thus making it a Premier 11a. Once I get the new tubes (genelex kt77’s) I’ll be able to evaluate, although when I told CJ about my 4 ohm, 90db speakers – which are not a particularly easy load I understand – the tech said that it would be no problem for 30 watts in triode mode.
This amp had the “C1” teflon cap upgrade (before I got it), so probably worth the extra expense of converting to 6550’s if need be.

ronenash
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
With the caps upgraded you should get world class sound once you have the tubes replaced. The input tubes are just as important as the output tubes and I would get these replaced as well if you are not sure about their condition.

Vincenzo
12-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Ronanash - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been wondering what the cap upgrade brings to the table, since I never heard the stock premier 11 (11a or sx). My only Conrad Johnson experience was with the MV-60, which inspired me to this purchase. It could be my imagination, but now after only 15 hour or so of listening, the sound seems to be improving - cleaning up quite a bit; a very big and bold sound. Is that possible? The amp was not being used for at least 6 months I understand.
In any case, I'll proceed with the input tubes next - I am hoping they have a little more life in them. By the way, Kt-77's are OK to use in this 11 in triode mode - any potential issues there?
Thanks!

ronenash
12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
The Teflon caps take 500 hours to get to their full potential. Some say it takes 1000 hours. That might be true but 90% of what they can accomplish is there at 500 hours. After not working for several month they will again take 100 hours or so to reach their best. From experience there are many people selling their gear because they did not wait for the caps to burn in and their gear did not sound at its best.
Be patient. You cannot know how much break in the previous owner put on the amp before selling it. Your wait will be worth it. The Pr11A is a great amplifier and will surprise you with its soundstage, transparency and detail once those caps are burned in.
There are several thread on AA talking about what to expect with Teflon cap break in time.

Hatzudokiseizo
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I just received a rather unusual Premier 11 - EL34, triode configured. I guess CJ didn't sell many of these, because I have rarely seen mention of one. A beautiful piece it is - these certainly do look better than photos reveal. This one is equipped with SED el34's, about 2 years old, I understand. I’m curious as to what brands of el34’s are being used by those of you with CJ el34 amps (if there are any of you out there).
I did bias the tubes right off the bat. But I notice that one or more of the bias LED’s does come on from time to time, stays on for a minute then goes away. After I first biased the tubes, one turned bright white, significantly brighter than the others – I dropped back the bias a little and it returned to normal. Too be safe I just ordered some new output tubes – but I’m wondering, is it normal for the LED’s to stay lit during warm up?

Hi, There are not many stages of Conrad Johnson, the EL34 tube!. I own the CJ Premier One b is with EL34 tube in operation. Incredibly easy in the mids and highs, it has a raw power! The positive thing is that the EL34 one has very large selection of tube brands, compared with the 6550th All in all, the EL34 is a tube top in terms of musicality, performance and price ... I do not want to do without. So this rarity deductibles carefully! Greets Chris:music::music:

Bugs762
01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Ronanash - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been wondering what the cap upgrade brings to the table, since I never heard the stock premier 11 (11a or sx). My only Conrad Johnson experience was with the MV-60, which inspired me to this purchase. It could be my imagination, but now after only 15 hour or so of listening, the sound seems to be improving - cleaning up quite a bit; a very big and bold sound. Is that possible? The amp was not being used for at least 6 months I understand.
In any case, I'll proceed with the input tubes next - I am hoping they have a little more life in them. By the way, Kt-77's are OK to use in this 11 in triode mode - any potential issues there?
Thanks!

The MV60 should be a pretty close comparison with a stock Premier 11, although I've never heard a Premier 11. I believe they the two amps share the same transformers and CJ said that the MV60 is "nearly" built to Premier standards.

One advantage to switching to 6550s is that you should also be able to run the new Tung Sol KT120s. If you search the forum you will find a lot of good comments on them. I have a MV60SE and run the KT120s and I very happy with them.

Your amp should be a real nice sounding unit with the cap upgrade.

Doug

jsli
01-04-2013, 07:54 PM
The new caps sound very different. They have more detail and bass control but don't sound as lush and ripe as the old caps.

ronenash
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
The new caps sound very different. They have more detail and bass control but don't sound as lush and ripe as the old caps.

Give them time....
How long have you been running them? 500 hours is what you need to get all the Teflon cap goodness to really shine.

jsli
01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Thank you! 4150 hours on mine.