PDA

View Full Version : Ed D. is no longer at c-j

Joe Appierto
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi y'all,

I called conrad-johnson a little while ago to order some parts and asked for Ed. The woman who answered the phone said that Ed was no longer with the firm and took my order.

He'll be missed. Just thought you'd like to know.

Rayooo
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
WOW, shocker! I wonder what happened. Hopefully he's enjoying whatever he's doing, wherever he's doing it! :yes:

Ed if you happen to lurk around here, THANKS for all the help over the years!

repman
12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Thats too bad he was a good man to deal with there. Thanks for the heads up Joe.

turntable
12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
That is a bummer for us.

I hope he has gone onto bigger and better things

Coppy
12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi y'all,

I called conrad-johnson a little while ago to order some parts and asked for Ed. The woman who answered the phone said that Ed was no longer with the firm and took my order.

He'll be missed. Just thought you'd like to know.

Hi folks,

Ed Dietemeyer is a long time veteran of the industry. Ed took such great care of customers for CJ and will surely be missed by all of us. Many of you may have known him in his previous positions.. at Theta Digital and elsewhere. After many years semi retired and in a part time position with Conrad-Johnson he has now fully retired. He seems not to have a personal e-mail but does stop by CJ occasionally. If you want to send along a congratulation or thank you, Melissa will be sure he gets it. Her e-mail is Melissa@conradjohnson.com. He will be in for a visit next week so you might want to send messages along soon.

Merry Christmas to All...
Bob

Coppy
12-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Here's a message from from someone else you may know, Tor Sivertsen, CJ's now retired national sales director on our friend Ed:

"Hi Bob
Lew told me that Ed had retired. I met Ed in the 1970s when I worked for Tandberg, and he worked for Audio Associates. Ed is a great guy, and he did a very good job for CJ. He is in his early 70s
Ed told me several years ago that he had problems with his eyes, and driving in the W.DC area is not the easiest place to drive in the first place.
I always said that Ed was an extremely gentle man. If a fly was sitting on his hand, he would not smack it, he would push it away. The time comes when we all would have to retire. I believe that Bill and Lew and us other
at CJ were lucky to have Ed working as many years as he did. He was perfect as CJ’s customers service person, and he will be missed by many, many. It will not be easy to find a replacement.
CES 2013 is coming up shortly, and Bill & Lew have to concentrate on this event first. And you know Bob that CJ has a great person in Melissa running the office.
Tor"

aldinohiend
12-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I am very sorry for ED, a man of great kindness and competence. He will be greatly missed!

nz022
12-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Been great having some one like you at the other end of the phone for so long.

You will be missed.

Congrats Ed...Enjoy !!!!!

sleepysurf
12-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Coincidentally, I had just emailed Ed last month, inquiring about the max current draw of the Premier 350. I (uncharacteristically) did not hear back, but figured he was probably off on vacation.

I've been struggling with a persistent ground loop hum that I have not been able to isolate, but which is eliminated with a cheater plug on my amp. Concerned about the long term safety of that "fix" I tried an Ebtech Hum X device, which works perfectly, but says not to use on components that draw more than 6 amps current. It didn't work quite as well on my CT5, so I'd prefer to keep it on the amp.

Unable to find published specs on the 350's current draw, I had emailed Ed.

Lo and behold, I just received this reply from Melissa. I don't think she'll mind my re-posting, as it provides some specs that other 350 owners might find helpful, and also reassures C-J owners that their superb Customer Service legacy will continue following Ed's retirement.

My apologies if your query has not already been responded to. It arrived a few days before our customer service representative retired and may have been overlooked in the transition, so I am responding now as we try to catch up.

The Premier 350 will draw 8.2 amperes at full power into an 8 Ohm load. We have no direct experience with the Ebtech product, so are unable to offer a recommendation. I might note, however, that your Premier 350 is unlikely to approach full power (at least not for more than small fractions of a second) unless you have uncommonly inefficient speakers or are in a VERY large room. The Premier 350 draws 1 ampere at idle.

Best wishes to Ed for a long and enjoyable retirement!

P.S. I'm starting a family/listening room remodel next month, and will be running a second 20A dedicated line, which will (hopefully) eliminate all residual ground loop hums. However, I'd still like to hear anybody else's experience using the Ebtech hum elimination products.

Coppy
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Sleepysurf... Here's a process that has worked for both my P350 and the LP140 monos. I had ground loop hum with both. The objective is to find the offending source component and isolate it's ground. Let's work back from the power amp. First, turn the on the power amp with nothing on the inputs. I'll bet there's no hum. Now, unplug everything from your preamp, hook it up to the amp and turn both on. If you've got hum, add the cheater plug to the preamp. Maybe your done and all is well... but if there's no hum, add each source back to the preamp, one at a time. Chances are you will hook one source up and the hum will return. You have now found the source of the ground loop hum. Put the cheater plug on that source item and enjoy your tunes hum free. In my case the hum was the my FM Tuner. Sometimes the source item MFG get a little loose with their ground connections and you get some reverse flow between components.

Good luck,
Bob

sleepysurf
12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks! Great tips, but I've already done all that. In my case, slight hum with amp alone, and more hum after CT5 connected (with inputs disconnected). Cheater plug on CT5 eliminates 75% of hum, and cheater on 350 eliminates 90%. Hum X on CT5 eliminates 85%, and Hum X on 350 eliminates 100%. Problem is partly due to my ML Summits being plugged into a separate 15A circuit, hence the plan to add another 20A dedicated line during my room remodel. If that doesn't fully eliminate the loop, I'll probably send my amp back to C-J to have it fully checked out.

Sleepysurf... Here's a process that has worked for both my P350 and the LP140 monos. I had ground loop hum with both. The objective is to find the offending source component and isolate it's ground. Let's work back from the power amp. First, turn the on the power amp with nothing on the inputs. I'll bet there's no hum. Now, unplug everything from your preamp, hook it up to the amp and turn both on. If you've got hum, add the cheater plug to the preamp. Maybe your done and all is well... but if there's no hum, add each source back to the preamp, one at a time. Chances are you will hook one source up and the hum will return. You have now found the source of the ground loop hum. Put the cheater plug on that source item and enjoy your tunes hum free. In my case the hum was the my FM Tuner. Sometimes the source item MFG get a little loose with their ground connections and you get some reverse flow between components.

Good luck,
Bob

Coppy
12-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks! Great tips, but I've already done all that. In my case, slight hum with amp alone, and more hum after CT5 connected (with inputs disconnected). Cheater plug on CT5 eliminates 75% of hum, and cheater on 350 eliminates 90%. Hum X on CT5 eliminates 85%, and Hum X on 350 eliminates 100%. Problem is partly due to my ML Summits being plugged into a separate 15A circuit, hence the plan to add another 20A dedicated line during my room remodel. If that doesn't fully eliminate the loop, I'll probably send my amp back to C-J to have it fully checked out.

Ah... the voltage differential is between the amps and the powered speakers... bummer.
Sounds like you've got it largely under control. Good Luck and a Merry Xmas.
Bob

microstrip
12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Coincidentally, I had just emailed Ed last month, inquiring about the max current draw of the Premier 350. I (uncharacteristically) did not hear back, but figured he was probably off on vacation.

I've been struggling with a persistent ground loop hum that I have not been able to isolate, but which is eliminated with a cheater plug on my amp. Concerned about the long term safety of that "fix" I tried an Ebtech Hum X device, which works perfectly, but says not to use on components that draw more than 6 amps current. It didn't work quite as well on my CT5, so I'd prefer to keep it on the amp.

Unable to find published specs on the 350's current draw, I had emailed Ed.

I had a similar problem with my premier 350 years ago. The solution given by cj was fitting a 47 ohm 7 or 11W power resistor between the ground point and the ground pin of the power connector. I think latest units already had this power resistor. It was long ago, please re-check with the factory about the proper values and types.

MrAcoustat
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
This was ONE of my favorite Conrad Johnson amplifiers and for ME quite a looker.

http://static.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/data/500/Conrad_Johnson_Evolution_2000.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkCk82WMMNesncj-i-_YNW3rCgeyyL06s3N29zstCGR3OZ-Zstlg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtc6lqUetcpKDI2-WYqWZxqohbcPoFVvCJ0h9WCXi2mi0trdXp

http://static.flickr.com/1100/1019043480_7c85633606.jpg

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4973/29bfwhwjpg.jpg

Rayooo
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
This was ONE of my favorite Conrad Johnson amplifiers and for ME quite a looker.

:yes::yes::yes: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

medward0
01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Ah... the voltage differential is between the amps and the powered speakers... bummer.
Sounds like you've got it largely under control. Good Luck and a Merry Xmas.
Bob

I've got a similar issue my CJ 250S amp and my REL, which is connected to the amp by a high-level connection (speaker posts). And, if I run my HT into the Theater In RCAs on the pre...well another ground loop.

I've tried all of the equipment on the same dedicated 20amp line and the same power conditioner and I still have hum.

The amp is where the hum comes from as far as I can tell, but I will try the troubleshooting steps above.

Didn't think to try floating the sub & HT grounds, but currently I'm floating the amp ground (med. quality power cord with the ground disconnected), which I don't like to do.

Haven't tried a cheater plug...I'm just now replacing all my power cords with Zitron Cobras and I'd hate to have a cheater on one of those as they have been a wonderful addition.

medward0
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM

What a beautiful amplifier!