PDA

View Full Version : CA200 in the house

Joe Appierto
12-14-2012, 02:48 PM
First off, I want to thank Lavon (and his predecessors :) ) for the CA200 -- it really is a very nice piece of gear.

Initial impressions are mainly all positive. Right out of the box, this integrated has excellent clarity, an extended and non-irritating high-end, and a neutral midrange that is almost spooky-good at capturing the singer and projecting her (so far only ladies have been played) presence into the listening room.

The sound stage is a little more narrow than I'm used to but projects well-layered images farther behind the speakers than previously. I understand it was lying pretty well dormant for the last couple of months, but as it settles in, the bass and dynamics which were kind of missing in action are beginning to form-up. Images are also beginning to come more into the listening room, too.

I've ordered some aftermarket fuses for the B+, B- rails and for the mains connector from The Cable Company that should arrive early next week. I'm hoping for good things to come of that.

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with the CA200, thanks again, everyone.

joeinid
12-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Congratulations Joe! Let her warm up and enjoy. It did a great job on my Nola speakers and on my Cornwalls. Please keep the updates coming.

'cisco
12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
You're welcome Joe....it was definitely a pleasure to do business with you...

Enjoy it friend.:thumbsup:

Joe Appierto
12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Thank you, Joe, I most definitely will.

Lavon, the pleasure was all mine.

turntable
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Great stuff Joe. Now you have 3 amps to play with.

What does are you getting?

Where are the pics for us to enjoy?

Pider
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Just remember, Joe. This is the "pass on" amp. You get to enjoy it for several months, maybe even a couple years, but then you must relent and pass it on.

:D

Joe Appierto
12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Shane, if this works out, I may divest myself of some equipment and simplify life, a little. The fuses are HiFi-Tuning, 4 Gold for the B rails and a Supreme for the mains connection. I really like the Gold in the Premier 140, thought it definitely brought the performance up a notch. I'm using Supreme fuses in both the Quad 989s and the CD25 player.

Here's a couple of pics, none yet on the rack, though.

http://xce.xanga.com/ad6f9a6274030284300336/o226826471.jpg

http://xf0.xanga.com/fd6f8af651133284300339/o226826473.jpg

http://x64.xanga.com/cd2f66fb74331284300340/o226826474.jpg

Pider, are you one of the predecessors I should thank? :)

joeinid
12-14-2012, 06:02 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

CDLehner
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I too have welcomed a CA-200 in recently!

Joe Appierto
12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Welcome aboard! How do you like it?

turntable
12-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Joe, Famous last words from an audiophile:D. Trouble there is always something that comes up that takes your fancy.

Amp looks sweet.

Funny you mention the fuses. Changed ova from the tubes to the ss prem350 and both channels were distorted. Checked the B fuses and two were kaput. Had to rush down to the local electronic shop and buy some 40 cent fuses.

Are the audiophile fuses any more robust than stk fuses?

Joe Appierto
12-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Actually, at least with the HiFi-Tuning fuses, no. As a matter of fact, if anything, because they're supposedly made to tighter tolerances, they may blow a little more easily. Stock fuses are supposed to have a 10% over current tolerance. I don't think that's the case with the HiFi-Tuning fuses. But, in my opinion, they do sound better.

ronenash
12-14-2012, 11:59 PM

The fuses are there to protect the amp, they should not be robust and should blow when they are driven beyond their spec. They do not blow for no reason. Either you were overloading the amp or there was some nasty power supply spike.
Good thing the fuses went and not the amp.

turntable
12-15-2012, 02:17 AM
The fuses are there to protect the amp, they should not be robust and should blow when they are driven beyond their spec. They do not blow for no reason. Either you were overloading the amp or there was some nasty power supply spike.
Good thing the fuses went and not the amp.

Hi Ron

To clarify, my question on robust had nothing to do with me blowing the fuse. It was a general question to Joe as he has used both.

Me blowing fuses was pure coincidence. I am pretty sure I know how my fuses blew. I have always got a slight buzzing noise from the speakers when using the prem350 - even when the mute is on.

I was speaking with my technician the other day and said it is probably a grounding issue. He gave me two rca blanking plugs and told me to put them into the rca inputs and turn on the amp. If buzzing was still coming through the speakers, it is the prem350 - if not try the next up stream item.
When I was swapping between tubes and ss, decided to do the test before hooking the amps up completely. Funny, I wondered why there was no buzzing. Obviously 2 of the 4 B fuses blew when I switched on the amp. I wonder why, as my tech said the blanking plugs would stop that.

Any ideas guys?
I should probably start a new thread to see if buzzing is normal with prem350 and how to fix it.

Cheers

joeinid
12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
I too have welcomed a CA-200 in recently!

Any updates or listening impressions Chris?

Joe Appierto
12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Shane,

Sorry I misunderstood you.

I do find the aftermarket fuses I've used to be more robust -- better dynamics and increased clarity. Not sure if one is the result of the other.

There'a also been a difference in the sound depending on which way I oriented the fuses. In one direction, the aftermarket fuses sound more midrangey while in the other, I get the effect I prefer. I think some listeners might like it one way, and others the opposite direction. On the third hand, there'll be some who hear no difference at all which is fine, too. All depends on a lot of factors.

ronenash
12-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Ron

To clarify, my question on robust had nothing to do with me blowing the fuse. It was a general question to Joe as he has used both.

Me blowing fuses was pure coincidence. I am pretty sure I know how my fuses blew. I have always got a slight buzzing noise from the speakers when using the prem350 - even when the mute is on.

I was speaking with my technician the other day and said it is probably a grounding issue. He gave me two rca blanking plugs and told me to put them into the rca inputs and turn on the amp. If buzzing was still coming through the speakers, it is the prem350 - if not try the next up stream item.
When I was swapping between tubes and ss, decided to do the test before hooking the amps up completely. Funny, I wondered why there was no buzzing. Obviously 2 of the 4 B fuses blew when I switched on the amp. I wonder why, as my tech said the blanking plugs would stop that.

Any ideas guys?
I should probably start a new thread to see if buzzing is normal with prem350 and how to fix it.

Cheers

If by buzzing you mean hum it can be taken care of by lifting the ground from the power amp and by organizing your signal and power cables in a better way. I have spend the better part of the day organizing my power and signal cables and it paid off. I routed the signal cables away from power cables. I attached power cables together into a loom with every cable breaking out of the loom to reach its destined components.

Takes time but no hum issues whatsoever.

nz022
12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the CA200.

I went from an all tube system centered around a Premier 11A /17LS to the simplicity of the CA200 and will never go/look back.

For me it created a better listening experience and eliminated a lot of extraneous effort required to maintain the tubes.

Joe Appierto
12-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Congrats on the CA200.

I went from an all tube system centered around a Premier 11A /17LS to the simplicity of the CA200 and will never go/look back.

For me it created a better listening experience and eliminated a lot of extraneous effort required to maintain the tubes.

Thanks, NZ022.

At one point in time, I had the Premier 11A paired with a 17LS also, and thought it was an excellent match-up. But as my addiction to things conrad-johnson grew worse, I graduated to the 16LS2/140. When I consider how much I've spent on tubes over the years, it gives me pause. Not that I haven't enjoyed it tremendously but I've spent way more than was rational. :yes:

So far the CA200 is settling in very nicely but I still catch myself glancing at the 140 to check the LEDs even though it's powered down. LOL

Maybe the CA200 will be my "cure". :scratch2:

Regards,

CDLehner
12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Any updates or listening impressions Chris?

Joe, it's a killer unit...no question. With no offense meant...but up against a Naim XS-2, I thought it was night and day better by comparison (I say by comparison, because the Naim sounds very nice of course...until you A/B it against the CA-200). It's very balanced; it's got that C-J refinement, but still some grunt when you need it. Not overly-warm, but smooth and musical of course. $6500 is a pretty step price for one box (though I agree with nz022...there is something to be said about the simplicity of a good "IA"), but for the ~$3k you get this for used...it's a steal.

I'm going to enjoy it for a while, of course; the only thing...in my system, mated with Compact 7s...is it might be too smooth. Harbeths certainly don't lend any edge to the sound; mated with the CA-200, it's smooth on smooth. Not unpleasant at all...but I might like a little grit, especially for Rock, lol. At some point, I might try an NAD M3.

I had this IA for a spell. Build quality second to none, and a lot of technology for the price. The sound...as I recall...was nowhere near as refined as this unit; and actually a tad sterile and bright with my Dyns (can't remember if that was with the Special 25s, or the C1 Sigs by that point). I wonder if it might brighten-up the otherwise beautiful-sounding 7s.

For now; absolutely no complaints about the CA-200. :no:

nz022
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Did you ever have the CA200 & Dynaudio 25s together?

nz022
12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks, NZ022.

At one point in time, I had the Premier 11A paired with a 17LS also, and thought it was an excellent match-up. But as my addiction to things conrad-johnson grew worse, I graduated to the 16LS2/140. When I consider how much I've spent on tubes over the years, it gives me pause. Not that I haven't enjoyed it tremendously but I've spent way more than was rational. :yes:

So far the CA200 is settling in very nicely but I still catch myself glancing at the 140 to check the LEDs even though it's powered down. LOL

Maybe the CA200 will be my "cure". :scratch2:

Regards,

I was totally annal about having extra tubes and must have owned 8-10 back up sets of matched quads along with many other misc. tubes. What's funny is I will still discover some stashed away where I didn't look when I sold them off.

CDLehner
12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Did you ever have the CA200 & Dynaudio 25s together?

If that's for me, no...but I would suspect that is a Dyn-o-mite pairing. :D

Seriously; the Special 25 is a knock-out of a speaker...but pretty persnickety IMO. Best audiophile, Rock speaker I can imagine. BIG, hit-you-in-the-chest Bass; Electric Guitar that bites and sizzles with energy. BIG, expansive sound-stage, etc. It's that "sizzle" that's the problem.

With less than stellar recordings, the 25 can be a little "edgy" in my opinion (read: fatiguing). By persnickety I mean...you have to system-match carefully (the 25 is very revealing of choices upstream), and pay attention to details like placement, room-treatments, etc. They were a tough fit in my room, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of them! :yes:

As for the system-pairing...a "smooth" but still authoritative unit like the CA-200 would be a very nice match I would think. Be fore-warned though; it's like dancing with the Devil, lol.

turntable
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
If by buzzing you mean hum it can be taken care of by lifting the ground from the power amp and by organizing your signal and power cables in a better way. I have spend the better part of the day organizing my power and signal cables and it paid off. I routed the signal cables away from power cables. I attached power cables together into a loom with every cable breaking out of the loom to reach its destined components.

Takes time but no hum issues whatsoever.

What's the best way to lift the ground on the power amp? Besides cheater plug?

ronenash
12-23-2012, 03:52 PM
What's the best way to lift the ground on the power amp? Besides cheater plug?

You can always break the ground pin on the power cable but I would not do it with high quality expensive cables. You can try it with the stock cable.

Puma Cat
12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Ron

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Shane,
I have no buzzing with my Premier 350, but it sounds like you have a ground loop problem. My LP70S buzzes, though, when I do not use a 69¢ cheater plug on my $750 Shunyata Black Mamba; how that's for irony? Using the cheater plug eliminates it completely.

Puma Cat
12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you, Joe, I most definitely will.

Lavon, the pleasure was all mine.

Congrats on the CA-200, Joe!

Coppy
12-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Shane,
I have no buzzing with my Premier 350, but it sounds like you have a ground loop problem. My LP70S buzzes, though, when I do not use a 69¢ cheater plug on my $750 Shunyata Black Mamba; how that's for irony? Using the cheater plug eliminates it completely.

Here's a post on ground loop hum I just made on another thread that may be helpful... better than isolating the ground on the big amp that may not be causing the problem:

Sleepysurf... Here's a process that has worked for both my P350 and the LP140 monos. I had ground loop hum with both. The objective is to find the offending source component and isolate it's ground. Let's work back from the power amp. First, turn the on the power amp with nothing on the inputs. I'll bet there's no hum. Now, unplug everything from your preamp, hook it up to the amp and turn both on. If you've got hum, add the cheater plug to the preamp. Maybe your done and all is well... but if there's no hum, add each source back to the preamp, one at a time. Chances are you will hook one source up and the hum will return. You have now found the source of the ground loop hum. Put the cheater plug on that source item and enjoy your tunes hum free. In my case the hum was the my FM Tuner. Sometimes the source item MFG get a little loose with their ground connections and you get some reverse flow between components.

Good luck,
Bob
____