PDA

View Full Version : CT 5 and CA200. Vs CT5 and lp70s

Briz Vegaas
11-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Theoretically how would these be different. Practically has anyone compared.

- tube amp of paper might be more flowing, wider stage, maybe more holographic
- LP 70 s has Teflon caps so longer to run in and warm up but more upscale sound
- CA200 would have more bass grip because that's what ss does best

In theory, so there may be no clear winner.

my speakers are easier to drive now so in theory I can give the LP 70 a go, suck it and see if I fall for it.

Meanwhile I know my Mac and interface Power supplies are letting my DAC down, evident by how good the DAC sounds headless ( with USB stick plugged in direct). Why even consider an amp swap when I know the source is not 100 percent and budget has already been blown getting the speakers, which are keepers ( Vivid B1)

Its just a late night ponder, nothing serious, but it would be great to have matching amps and the lp70 s looks great. Music style is diverse so it has to be flexible.

Or just get some linear supplies for the ounce components. Only I can make the final decision if I even both to Perdue these thoughts.
still, any thoughts?

Briz Vegaas
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
PS. This article may contain my answer ( theoretically)

<I>Stereophile</I>'s Products of 2012 Loudspeaker of the Year | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/istereophileis-products-2012-loudspeaker-year)

As the K1 was out of my price range I had to slum it with the B1. This article flags that the bigger loud speaker is an easier load.

My understanding is that the tweeter and upper mid drivers are very easy to drive so on the B1 the had to use the crossover to dampen down, if that's the term, the drivers to match the bass. On the K1 with twice the bass drivers (4) you can be less aggressive with the crossover dampening. Less is more.

So that would suggest a solid state of decent oomph, like 300 watts into 4 ohms is a better match in my case. With the K1 maybe the LP70 would have the edge, in theory.
Of course this is very simplistic.

I just keep thinking of Beth Orton played through a top Linn LP 12, Jas valve array and pre, Heron valve phono and Sonus Faber Strad Homages, the emotion and interaction between instruments that system extracted from the familiar recording left me more than a little amazed. Of course some will argue you only get that with tubes and vinyl with the Sonus Fabers to top it off, but the LP70 should do interest things.

I would like to hear from Puma on his LP70 and CT5 vs his 350 with the same pre. I think that would be a useful comparison, particularly wher the LP70 might be better.

Puma Cat
12-23-2012, 08:57 PM
PS. This article may contain my answer ( theoretically)

<I>Stereophile</I>'s Products of 2012 Loudspeaker of the Year | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/istereophileis-products-2012-loudspeaker-year)

As the K1 was out of my price range I had to slum it with the B1. This article flags that the bigger loud speaker is an easier load.

My understanding is that the tweeter and upper mid drivers are very easy to drive so on the B1 the had to use the crossover to dampen down, if that's the term, the drivers to match the bass. On the K1 with twice the bass drivers (4) you can be less aggressive with the crossover dampening. Less is more.

So that would suggest a solid state of decent oomph, like 300 watts into 4 ohms is a better match in my case. With the K1 maybe the LP70 would have the edge, in theory.
Of course this is very simplistic.

I just keep thinking of Beth Orton played through a top Linn LP 12, Jas valve array and pre, Heron valve phono and Sonus Faber Strad Homages, the emotion and interaction between instruments that system extracted from the familiar recording left me more than a little amazed. Of course some will argue you only get that with tubes and vinyl with the Sonus Fabers to top it off, but the LP70 should do interest things.

I would like to hear from Puma on his LP70 and CT5 vs his 350 with the same pre. I think that would be a useful comparison, particularly wher the LP70 might be better.

Briz,
Sorry for being incommunicado.

I've been running in my Premier 350 and CT-5 since July, so I have a pretty good handle on these two.

Bottom line is they are both really superb amps, but different. I can't say one is superior to the other. The Pr350 has tons of muscle, tighter and somewhat deeper bass, but also has a somewhat smaller and more compact soundstage width and height-wise. It does NOT sound like a SS amp at all, though. The LP70S is just as dynamic at comparable listening levels, believe it not, and has a fuller, wider and taller soundstage, and a more musical, sweeter midrange. I think the Pr350 is slightly more transparent and quieter, and more neutral in tonal color. The LP70S has a bit more warmth and presence. i've been trying to decide between these two, because I have to make a decision here as to which system to keep, and I'm having a tough time. They are both amazingly good sounding amps.

Hope this helps...

Briz Vegaas
12-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks PC. Sounds like I should try and audition the LP70, if I have not used up my auditioning brownie points. Like the ET5, I suspect the impedance will be a better match.

Definitely something to ponder.

Coppy
12-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Briz,
Sorry for being incommunicado.

I've been running in my Premier 350 and CT-5 since July, so I have a pretty good handle on these two.

Bottom line is they are both really superb amps, but different. I can't say one is superior to the other. The Pr350 has tons of muscle, tighter and somewhat deeper bass, but also has a somewhat smaller and more compact soundstage width and height-wise. It does NOT sound like a SS amp at all, though. The LP70S is just as dynamic at comparable listening levels, believe it not, and has a fuller, wider and taller soundstage, and a more musical, sweeter midrange. I think the Pr350 is slightly more transparent and quieter, and more neutral in tonal color. The LP70S has a bit more warmth and presence. i've been trying to decide between these two, because I have to make a decision here as to which system to keep, and I'm having a tough time. They are both amazingly good sounding amps.

Hope this helps...

Or... you could keep and enjoy both depending on the music and your mood. A nice and fun solution.

Merry Xmas,
Bob

Briz Vegaas
12-25-2012, 07:46 AM
If only that were possible. I'm already in the land of Lalar with my current setup. I'm after perfection on a budget, and this does not include 2 amps.

Briz Vegaas
01-06-2013, 06:58 AM
I have been discovering the source first principle with my current setup..

I slotted in 8GB of RAM and a SSD into my MacBook which I am using as a source. While it still has a slight darkness about the sound it's now way more open and detailed and has an even deeper blackness to the background. I have also ordered a linear power supply to replace my two wall wart switching supplies (MacBook and interface), which will bring more change, as heard on other systems.

You think you have a good front end and have maybe maxed out your amps, but then you have to think again. If you run a computer audio system you really do need to pay attention to the details. No thinking that computers are computers and that only the DAC matters, or pointing the finger at the amps in my case.

Puma Cat
01-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Well, I'm going to update my comments from Dec. 23 (which was my birthday, BTW), and say that after another month of use, I feel that the CT-5 and Premier 350 are the superior combination of the two complete systems. Both these components really need a lot of hours on the clock to sound their best, but once they get there, they're pretty amazing.

pstrisik
01-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Puma Cat... Let me know if you plan to let go of your 17LS. I'd be interested.

.....Peter

Puma Cat
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Puma Cat... Let me know if you plan to let go of your 17LS. I'd be interested.

.....Peter

Will do, Peter. Thanks.

USCG65Pilot
11-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Puma Cat,

It has been awhile since you finally came to the decision of the Premier 350 being the amp of choice over your LP70s. I was curious if anything has changed or any other advice.

I had recently tried the tube amp to see what I thought. I am currently running a Premier 16II and LP66S and am not sure if it is better overall then my two Odyssey Kismett amps. Like you I would enjoy trying the 350 but they so rarely come up for sale. Also is the LP70s a big jump up in performance compared to the LP66s?

Thanks

ronenash
12-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I believe PC has sold his Pr350 this his post a year ago.

USCG65Pilot
12-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Well I went ahead and purchased a LP70s. Will have to wait to get it here to compare to the LP66s. Hopefully it will be a big upgrade.

ronenash
12-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Congratulations for your new LP70 purchase. The LP70 is a great amp and with proper break in time will surpass the LP66 in every way.

Briz Vegaas
12-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh no, don't get a LP70s. Big mistake. You are going to regret that decision.

Only kidding. Enjoy. Don't forget that the LP70s does not invert phase.

As for optimisation, there are plenty of things you can do. I use KT120s, titanium sort cones feet and a Valhalla power cord ( on top of my systems power solution). I knew there was a reason that mono locks would be prohibitively expensive in my system. Too many bespoke tweaks per component. An Art stereo would be nice, but I've already spent that budget on the audio nick knacks. Still, I think they each bring something to the table.

Above all remember, no reverse phase. I fell for thst one.

USCG65Pilot
12-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks Roneash and Briz.

Briz, when you mention the LP70s does not invert phase do you mean I should then treat it as when I had my Byrston SS amp hooked up to my CJ Pre 16 in that the positive and negative need to be switched at either the amp or speakers? I thought that if both your pre and amp were CJ then you left it as required. Well either way I will ensure to read the manual but thanks for the heads-up.

Coppy
12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks Roneash and Briz.

Briz, when you mention the LP70s does not invert phase do you mean I should then treat it as when I had my Byrston SS amp hooked up to my CJ Pre 16 in that the positive and negative need to be switched at either the amp or speakers? I thought that if both your pre and amp were CJ then you left it as required. Well either way I will ensure to read the manual but thanks for the heads-up.

If one amp in the chain inverts then swap both your speakers leads plus and minus. If both or none invert, hook the speakers up normally. This procedure is to preserve the phase of the original signal. Don't remember mine but I'm guessing the Premier 16 inverts, so that's one inversion.

rlw3
12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Try to buy lp 70 or lp 140s that have the mod by cj that allows the 6922s to run in a way where they do not wear out quickly. Cj can tell you if the mod has been done if given the serial number. The ability to revoice the lp 70 because of different tube types and makers is a great advantage unless a ss amp fits perfectly.

Briz Vegaas
12-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks Roneash and Briz. Briz, when you mention the LP70s does not invert phase do you mean I should then treat it as when I had my Byrston SS amp hooked up to my CJ Pre 16 in that the positive and negative need to be switched at either the amp or speakers? I thought that if both your pre and amp were CJ then you left it as required. Well either way I will ensure to read the manual but thanks for the heads-up. CJ tube preamps invert phase, CJ solid state amps like my my CJ CA200 inverted phase. My LP does not and I neglected to reverse polarity until I watched a now rare movie through the system and used my Denon setup microphone which alerted me to the problem. If both speakers are wired up wrong it's hard to pick as the system still images. Then there is the crazy phases used in some recordings to further confuse matters. Overall the system will sound better wired correctly. Audacity does not lie.

USCG65Pilot
12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all for the info. Still waiting on its arrival, should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately due to a back surgery 2 weeks ago, I am going to wait for a few more weeks before I try to wrestle that new amp into place lol.

Puma Cat
12-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Congratulations for your new LP70 purchase. The LP70 is a great amp and with proper break in time will surpass the LP66 in every way.

+1! Agreed. I've had my LP70S almost three years now...terrific amplifier. One of the best amps C-J ever made.

USCG65Pilot
12-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks Puma Cat! Actually it was your posts of your LP70s that motivated me to purchase such. Now the next step will be to upgrade the tubes as you had but I think I want to listen to it in stock form for a period of time so as to appreciate the upgrade.

USCG65Pilot
12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
By the way, how many post does a member have to post before the moderator doesnt have to approve them before posting?

admin
12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
By the way, how many post does a member have to post before the moderator doesnt have to approve them before posting?

Ten posts. It doesn't happen the "instant" you pass ten as the system has to update. Within a few hours of a user having ten approved posts they no longer have to go through post moderation.

Enjoy the site,
Admin
George