PDA

View Full Version : Static issues, or do I need a new cartridge?

esteban
11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Last night the weather was a little funky here in South FL. Lots of rain, greyish, muggy skies, and temperatures that can't seem to figure out if they belong on Summer or Winter.

I sat down to listen to some records on my Pro-Ject RPM 5.1SE late at night, and everything just sounded terrible. Distortion on high peaks, sibilant vocals and high-pitched instruments such as trumpets, etc. Flat soundstage with no "air", lifeless overall presentation and no dynamics. Plenty of bass, though. I cleaned the records with my anti-static brush, and not much changed. I also cleaned the needle very carefully with the same brush, dusted the table off and things improved slightly as the minutes progressed, but still not nearly close to the usual sound I get from this set-up.

From the "sounds" of it, all would indicate that it's time for a new cartridge/stylus, but I have only had my Sumiko Blue Point 2 for less than 2 years, and I do not use my 'table that often. I would say I put no more than 400 hours on it, at the very most. I do admit most of my records are used (I had TERRIBLE luck with expensive new pressings, so wasting funds that way is out of the question for me from now on), so perhaps that accelerated the aging process?

In any case, can a cartridge "go bad" overnight? Just the night before everything was sounding great. I played about 5 records in a row and had no issues, other than the usual pops and clicks every once in a while. Problem does not lie with the amp nor the cables. My Oppo and Squeezebox sounded phenomenal right afterwards. It was just the turntable that all of a sudden seemed affected.

Based on the description above, what would you attribute the overall lifeless, distorted, dreadful sound to? Static? Weather? Worn-out stylus? Stars not being aligned?

fjn04
11-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Sounds like just a stormy, humid night, which can have a negative effect on systems. I would start fresh, when you have a normal day. Give your cartridge a good cleaning, and play some different records. If it sounds back to itself, then play the record that sounded so bad on the storm night. Your cartridge should be fine after 400 hrs, assuming you clean if regularly. For me, regularly is after each record side. The same goes for cartridge...! Hope this helps.

drrsutliff
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
The night may have been responsible, but the previous night may be more the culprit. What you describe sounds like there is more on your stylus than your brushing removed. The previous night session may have allowed for some build up to reach a point of interfering with the tracking. If you have a magnifying lens a quick look could prove me wrong, but if there seems to be buildup cleaning with special stylus solutions or my favorite a Mr Clean Magic Erasure (ME) may be needed. I have been using a small section of a ME block that I dip my stylus into to clean the stylus well. I started this with my Sumiko Blackbird and continue to use it on my Benz Ebony. If you use this method no fluid is needed but the stylus is lowered onto and lifted off the ME without allowing any motion of the ME block. This motion is repeated several times to fully clean a heavy buildup. Hope it is something simple.

jdandy
11-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Esteban.......I tend to agree with Rick's assessment. I addition I would recheck my stylus force to make sure it is still accurately set according to the manufacturer's suggested tracking force. Also, with your system turned off, unplug your phono cables and then plug them in again. Nothing like a fresh contact to help low voltage signals flow.

I don't know if you wash your used records, but if not then now would be a good time to start. The small Spin Clean manual record washer is less than $80.00 and worth its weight in gold. Washing your records will remove the grunge from the grooves. This will lower background noise, reduce pops and ticks, and extend your stylus life.

bumboola
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM
A few things:

Florida + lots of rain, you do not have problems with static.

Re-balance the tonearm and set the tracking force to 1.8 or 1.9. If anybody cleaned the table recently or bumped the counterweight it could be off. Lifeless without air and lots of bass sounds like the tracking force is set too high.

Do you have a 10x loupe to inspect the stylus? A carbon fiber stylus brush will not remove much tough build up, it's mostly for removing dust but it sounds like you are using a carbon fiber record brush for stylus cleaning - that will not remove anything. I have a bottle of Mofi LP-9 stylus cleaner that I don't use anymore, if you want it you can have it and it will remove any tough build up. Also, you absolutely need a dedicated stylus brush.

The BP2 stylus uses an industrial grade diamond, combine that with playing only uncleaned used records and it could easily be shot at 400 hours. Not saying that's definitely the problem but it is possible. This probably wouldn't happen overnight though, it's usually a more gradual process.

esteban
11-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for the feedback.

I did some more listening last night, and things were still not back up to normal. Looking back, I believe it all started with an original pressing of a Cat Stevens record that I had purchased the day before. Brand new and still sealed after all those years. I got it at my local CD Trader for the princely sum of $2.99. :D Even though it was brand new and I took it out of its sleeve for the first time myself, it sounded TERRIBLE. A mess, pure and simple. Right after that, every single other album I played sounded the way I described in my original post. I wonder if the decades-old record, even though never played before, was the culprit?

Last night things were slightly better after I carefully cleaned the stylus again. Yes, unfortunately the only tool I have at my disposal at the moment is a Pro-Ject carbon fiber record brush. No magnifying glass, I'm afraid. The best way I have to describe the problem would be that things that sounded open and "wider" before now sound more centered and "constrained", more "pseudo-mono" than "full stereo". Channel separation is lacking, while the sounds that come from the "outer edges" of the soundstage are slightly shrill and distorted, depending on the frequency (trumpets seem to be the worst offenders). Also, unless I am going deaf on one ear, I get the distinct feeling that there's less "air" and "presence" on the right channel. This might be my mind playing tricks, but it is pretty consistent with most records.

As some of you know, my analog journey has been bumpy and troublesome, to put it mildly. I documented some of my headaches here during the last 2 years or so. But after this, I have made up my mind and I will finally invest in a RCM (probably the Spin Clean to keep the expenses within a reasonable amount and avoid any further expensive disappointments) and some cleaning products, such as the onzow zerodust cleaner. And since the poor Blue Point II has been putting up with nothing but used records (mostly) since day 1, I think I will just "start fresh" and invest in a new cartridge that would deal with cleaned used records instead. I've never been really fully satisfied with the sound I was getting from the 'table ("erratic" would be the right word here), so hopefully a "clean slate" will bring a little bit more of the analog nirvana that I know HAS to be somewhere there for me to find...

drrsutliff
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
I like keeping things reasonable, even though I don't always follow that well. You should read some of the online discussions about using the Magic Erasure (original without soap or extra layer) to clean you stylus. You can buy a lifetime supply at the local grocery for only a few dollars. I dip my stylus into it before each side is played by having a piece positioned next to the platter at a height that I can use my cueing to gently lower my stylus onto it and then raise it. I used blue tack from Home Depot to attach a small cube I cut from the purchased block (which is relatively quite large) to a quarter to give it some weight. Easy, simple, effective, and affordable. Might be the most affordable high end audio accessory in existence. Never move the cube, just down onto it and up. Only the tracking mass is needed. Nothing more.

rlw3
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Had a spin clean and it left more crap on the records than it took off. If it were me i would buy the cheapest vpi rcm that can put rinse water on a record and vacuum it off. i would use 2 lazy susan spinners to manually spin and srub, then i would use the rcm to vacuum of the cleaners. Buy seperate vaccuum wands for each step. i use 2 seperate cleaners and a heavy water rinse with aquafina which is fremer approved. the spin clean is cheap and you get what you pay for and dont get what you havent paid for.
vpi sells cork mats which go between the lazy susan and the record-$14 each. i like audio inteligence cleaning solutions and their brushes. important to get brushes designed for that solution from same seller.

esteban
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Had a spin clean and it left more crap on the records than it took off. If it were me i would buy the cheapest vpi rcm that can put rinse water on a record and vacuum it off. i would use 2 lazy susan spinners to manually spin and srub, then i would use the rcm to vacuum of the cleaners. Buy seperate vaccuum wands for each step. i use 2 seperate cleaners and a heavy water rinse with aquafina which is fremer approved. the spin clean is cheap and you get what you pay for and dont get what you havent paid for.
vpi sells cork mats which go between the lazy susan and the record-$14 each. i like audio inteligence cleaning solutions and their brushes. important to get brushes designed for that solution from same seller.

Thanks for your input. The problem I see with RCM's is that you either pay about $80 for the Spin Clean, or you then have to talk about at least $500 for the VPI ($650, actually), the Okki Nokki, etc. No middle ground. $500 on a new cartridge + $500 on an RCM, plus $$$ on extra fluids and cleaning products, + $70 for a stylus cleaner, etc., etc... This gets expensive really quickly and there are no promises. Unless there is another vacuum-capable RCM that I am not aware of below $500?

rlw3
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
buy a used rcm with one tank only for the water and a waste tank that holds what is vacuumed. you may benefit from some ear protection as they are all noisy. at least scrubbing on the lazy susans is quiet.
i bought a nitty gritty with 2 tanks-one more than i need (wasted$). it does not have seperate vacuum wonds for each fluid and you have to look underneith the record to see the water applied which is a pain. Slightly wish i had done as i am advising but it took me going thru a learning curve to know better. the nitty gritty works great also and i have no way of knowing if the vacuuming from the same velvet lips is worse than using seperate vpi wonds-or if it is all in my head?
Wish i had the big bucks for that 3-4 k ultrasonic rcm from germany as it takes me a good 2 hours to do 8 lps.
Heard of someone who paid one of his employees to clean records for him-you got to love it.
PS- Esteban have you tried moving your tubes from left to right channel to hear if problem moved with the tubes?

bumboola
11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I did some more listening last night, and things were still not back up to normal. Looking back, I believe it all started with an original pressing of a Cat Stevens record that I had purchased the day before. Brand new and still sealed after all those years. I got it at my local CD Trader for the princely sum of $2.99. :D Even though it was brand new and I took it out of its sleeve for the first time myself, it sounded TERRIBLE. A mess, pure and simple. Right after that, every single other album I played sounded the way I described in my original post. I wonder if the decades-old record, even though never played before, was the culprit?

Several months ago I played a sealed 30 year old record and it sounded terrible (I have played others that were not) as you described. I inspected the stylus after playing one side and there was a build up of black "glob" on the stylus, possibly mold release? Whatever it was, I believe that if it was left on the styus it would have hardened and attached itself to the diamond. I cleaned off the stylus and cleaned the record with my RCM and it played beautifully after that.

At the very least, get a 10x loupe and a carbon fiber stylus brush. When something doesn't sound right you'll be surprised at what you find on the stylus or dragging behind it...

Removed
11-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Since a record cleaning machine is on your mind skip the spin clean......and get something that vacs......with the spin clean as you clean records the fluid gets cantaminated and as you wash more and more records your just washing in cantaminated fluid.....plus your locked into thier fluids which may or maybe not be your fluid of choice and if you decide you only want to clean one record then its not effective and you end up throwing fluids away, at least with a vac cleaner and fluids you have the choice of cleaning one record or hundred......when you wash your car and your done do you use the same bucket full of cantaminated soap and water to wash the second car!!

esteban
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I followed everybody's advise and purchased a LAST stylus cleaner (fluid + brush). In short: my turntable came back to life! In fact, it never sounded better. Perhaps the new cartridge can wait until next year after all.

Best $25 I have spent in a while!

AlfaGTV
12-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Good to hear it was only in need of a good 'scrub'!
A proper record cleaner is a bliss though! Best investment in hifi i ever made!
(Okki Nokki)

Regards //Mike