PDA

View Full Version : VAC Signature MK II Preamp w/phono in the house -- Super Low Noise Floor (YES!!)

vintage_tube
11-24-2012, 05:20 PM
A long saga ended this afternoon with the arrival of the VAC Signature MK II w/Phono from Kevin & Company.

It was a difficult wait. For the first time in years, I was without a preamp for practically the duration & without it, no vinyl (nor could I try out my recent tuner purchases).

So, finally my rack is full & I'm back into vinyl. First up was Harry Belafontes' Sings the Blues, Living Stereo, reissued by IMPEX, double 45RPM mastered by Kevin Gray.

I'm loving it and the build quality is impecible & not a mass produced board in the controller (didn't open the PS unit).

Enjoy the photos. I believe I'll get the hang of the remote pretty quickly.:D

Let me listen a few more LP's and give you my impressions then.

Best

Bob

Yep, the painters tape is still on the carpet -- not thru with tweaking the speakers neither. So much to do.

Still-One
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Congratulations Bob. I now you have been Impatiently waiting for the unit to arrive. waiting for you thoughts on the interface and sound quality.

vintage_tube
11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
More photos.

best

Bob

Still-One
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Very nice Bob. The chrome/stainless steel version would have balanced out the dcs nicely in your rack.

PHC1
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Congrats on VAC preamp Bob, now sit back and enjoy! :music:

vintage_tube
11-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Very nice Bob. The chrome/stainless steel version would have balanced out the dcs nicely in your rack.

Probably Jim -- but I'm always planning ahead to a degree & IMO it wouldn't look good with a black Vivaldi stack.:eek:

:D

Best my friend,

Bob

chessman
11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Bob, congrats!! Waiting is so hard. But the payoff is so great.

joeinid
11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Bob,

What did I tell you. Have faith. I guess the tracking info was updated? Huge congratulations!

Very pretty.

bzr
11-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Congrats Bob, I'm happy you're happy & we are all happy that you are happy that we are happy at your happiness. By the way, what are you upgrading in 2013? :D

AKA_Hyfi
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Very nice, enjoy for a long time!

joeinid
11-24-2012, 08:50 PM
So BOB,

Well, how's it sounding? C'mon, we need updates man!

Bodhisattva
11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Bob on adding a superb valve preamp to your system. There is no one I know who would not acknowledge this is a great valve pre. Well done & thanks for posting some great photo's for us to enjoy :) Love your passion for this hobby!

Cheers,

vintage_tube
11-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Congrats on VAC preamp Bob, now sit back and enjoy! :music:

Serge, Thanks and I’ll take that as on order.:thumbsup:

Best to you,

Bob

Bob, congrats!! Waiting is so hard. But the payoff is so great.

It was a hard going with no preamp Randy – almost like using headphones for 7 weeks straight or whatever it was. It is a beauty & the metal flaked front fascia doesn’t show up well when photographed. Bt I’ll try again later.

Best sir,

Bob

Bob,

What did I tell you. Have faith. I guess the tracking info was updated? Huge congratulations! Very pretty.

You sure did Joe – you can put the gun away now:D. Thanks for using it in my situation.:yes:

Best my friend,

Bob

Congrats Bob, I'm happy you're happy & we are all happy that you are happy that we are happy at your happiness. By the way, what are you upgrading in 2013? :D

Kev……translate this.......:music::music::music::music:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::

Best sir,

Bob

Very nice, enjoy for a long time!

Yes sir AKA_Hyfi. I can guarantee it. When I find the right instrument or component, I usually hold onto them for quite some time.:yes:

Best sir,

Bob

‘Congratulations Bob on adding a superb valve preamp to your system. There is no one I know who would not acknowledge this is a great valve pre. Well done & thanks for posting some great photo's for us to enjoy :) Love your passion for this hobby!
Cheers,

Thank-you David. It definitely is a Class A preamplifier. Glad you (and others) have enjoyed the photos. I do have a passion for this hobby and try to share it to the best of my ability. Besides, everyone likes photos.

Best sir,

Bob

jdandy
11-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Bob.......Beats the heck out of that photo you had on the shelf for the last month. Congratulations. The VAC pre is a beauty. Keep her playing to speed up break-in.

mbovaird
11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!! Congrats Bob!! Was it worth the wait? :)

vintage_tube
11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Out of the box and with a few hours on the instrument as Kevin calls his creations, immediately the clarity and resolution of the musical instruments and voices without a rolled off or edginess to them is remarkable. Definitely grain free and as well with vinyl BTW. Between tracks on vinyl was dark as dark can be I guess.

Not dis'ing my beloved McIntosh preamp, but the biggest difference beween it and and the VAC Signature MK II preamp could be summed up in one word -- unconjested. Microdynamics at super low volumes thru the loudest volume setting has improved to a spookiness about it. Light tapping in the background of a foot on the floor or innocent drum stick on a wood block is noticeable and adds a whole 'nother dimension to the music that wasn't appreciated previously.

Bottom line -- the VAC Signature MK II is a big upward move and I can check off the preamp square for the next multiple years.

Best

Bob

cmalak
11-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Congrats Bob :thumbsup: Sounds like a keeper for sure. Enjoy it in good health for many years to come.

joeinid
11-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Bob,

I am finally glad you are able to experience the magic I've come to love from the VAC.

:)

vintage_tube
11-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Congrats Bob :thumbsup: Sounds like a keeper for sure. Enjoy it in good health for many years to come.

Yes it will Cyril -- a fine instrument it is. I intend to follow your advise for the future. Thanks:thumbsup:

Best my friend,

Bob

vintage_tube
11-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Bob,

I am finally glad you are able to experience the magic I've come to love from the VAC.:)

Appreciate you being the achor stone in my VAC building block Joe. Gained much valuable information from you these last few months and appreciated your optomistic outlook when I had troubles seeing out thru the window panes.:yes:

Best sir,

Bob

joeinid
11-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Very kind Bob. :hug:

ronenash
11-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Congratulations Bob. Glad the wait is over. I am sure it is sounding wonderful out of the box and will get even better after some break in. Beautiful system.

bzr
11-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Translation is everyone gets a big warm fuzzy because you are ecstatic Bob. Congrats again mate, I know the feeling.

jazzhead
11-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Congrats Bob on a great acquisition . Would love to hear your chain thru the Raidho , which I rate very highly .:thumbsup: Enjoy in good health & thanks for the pics .

audiot servant
11-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Congratulations Bob, beautiful pre, wishing you many years of good music with it.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Ritmo
11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Congratulations Bob! The VAC looks terrific and, so does your room!

Jerome W
11-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Congrats Bob !
Enjoy this jewel in great health !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

MDP
11-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I just saw this, congrats Bob, I'm so sorry it took so long,I'll bet your beautiful system never sounded better !!!!

Car commander
11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Could you send it to me so I can demo it in my system? Kidding of course. You gotta love the high end.

vintage_tube
11-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Congratulations Bob. Glad the wait is over. I am sure it is sounding wonderful out of the box and will get even better after some break in. Beautiful system.

Thanks Ronen – me too (along with all those others on AA I sought pity from). Ever make it to the southern east coast, you’re welcomed.:yes:

Best sir,

Bob

Translation is everyone gets a big warm fuzzy because you are ecstatic Bob. Congrats again mate, I know the feeling.

Thanks again Kev. You’re gifts are tomorrow.:beerchug: Cool Beans.:thumbsup:

Best sir

Bob

Congrats Bob on a great acquisition . Would love to hear your chain thru the Raidho , which I rate very highly .:thumbsup: Enjoy in good health & thanks for the pics .

Anytime Jazzhead & the Raidhos have harnessed the ribbon & cone synergy to another dimension. Quite amazing and very enjoyable.:music:

Best sir,

Bob

Congratulations Bob, beautiful pre, wishing you many years of good music with it. Graham

Thank-you Graham. It is much prettier IMO in black & sure hope so.:yes:

Best sir,

Bob

Congratulations Bob! The VAC looks terrific and, so does your room!

Thanks Mike – I’m happy with how it has transformed these last number of years. Not much else to fiddle with; which is good.

Best sir,

Bob
Congrats Bob ! Enjoy this jewel in great health !

That’s the key isn’t it Jérôme? I’m all in.

Best my friend,

Bob

I just saw this, congrats Bob, I'm so sorry it took so long, I'll bet your beautiful system never sounded better !!!!

One step at a time MDP – truthfully, I’m quite awed by it all.

Best,

Bob

Could you send it to me so I can demo it in my system? Kidding of course. You gotta love the high end.

Only send things like what your after to subscribers CC-----back at ya----just kidding. Love the upper spectrum, hate the cost to get there, but the rewards are more than gratifying.

Best sir,

Bob

Whart
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Be interested in your findings when you roll some of the tubes. did you get one with an integrated phono stage?

vintage_tube
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Be interested in your findings when you roll some of the tubes. did you get one with an integrated phono stage?

That will be interesting -- leaving it stock for the time being (one of the first times I have not rolled on day one). Have plenty of the holy grail 7308's and E188CC's available for that moment.

Yes, on the phono stage (and plenty of 12AX7's for that too).

Best

Bob

bakerman
11-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Bob, I just got back from my extended holiday weekend and saw your thread. Congrats on finally getting the VAC installed into your system! I'm thrilled for you that it has gone above and beyond your expectations. :thumbsup:

I would be more than happy to keep those Dario's warm in my integrated until you are ready to roll them in...:yes::D