PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Paganini Transport?

Cincy2
09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
I never thought I would even consider this but I can't think of a good reason to keep my CD transport. I download all my music these days. My whole collection is on a hard drive. So the proposal is this: Trade the transport permanently and use the funds to upgrade the DAC and clock to Vivaldi. Has anyone else out there dumped their transport and committed to all digital?

Cincy

Jerome W
09-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I never thought I would even consider this but I can't think of a good reason to keep my CD transport. I download all my music these days. My whole collection is on a hard drive. So the proposal is this: Trade the transport permanently and use the funds to upgrade the DAC and clock to Vivaldi. Has anyone else out there dumped their transport and committed to all digital?

Cincy

I did.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

bakerman
09-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Like Jerome, I don't have a transport either. Haven't used one in years. I do however sometimes miss being able to pop in a CD and get it playing quickly without having to get everything up and running.

bzr
09-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I have done this as I've gone all digital. For an alternative I bought the OPPO 95 as my multi-player, no regrets. :thumbsup:

vintage_tube
09-30-2012, 09:08 AM
I know of someone who has a 2 box dCS Puccini and is headed in the direction you mention -- a 2 box Vivaldi (DAC & Clock). Wheels are in motion & quite a few Audiophiles have these thoughts of skipping the expensive transport.

Best

Bob

JohnThomas
09-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Cincy

I dumped my transport over 4 years ago and went the mini route. Then a couple of months ago I bought a transport. I use both a lot the transport for critical and casual listening the mini for casual listening and sampling new music. Both are great the transport is better. At the dac/transport level you are at you should surely here a difference between the two.At least I do with my setup. I know for simplicity the mini and the ipad are the way to go.But if you have a well organize cd system it's easy. All I do is look on the ipad what I want to listen and open the drawer and grab the cd from alphabet artist labeled system.

Wasatch
09-30-2012, 09:22 AM
I still like CDs.

GaryProtein
09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
If you sell (and not replace) your transport in the hopes of upgrading (selling and replacing) your clock and DAC, you probably will be at a monetary loss.

If you want to eliminate the transport and upgrade the clock and DAC, you will probably do better selling the whole stack and upgrading and purchasing only the components you want since your buyer will more than likely want an entire stack. At least that's how I see it.

By the way, I still like CDs. I would keep the transport.

jdandy
09-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Cincy.......In my opinion, the biggest bottleneck for downloading music is the extremely limited catalog of available artists and titles. I'm not talking about MP3 or iTunes crap, I'm talking about recorded quality that begins at 16Bit/44.1 and goes up from there, preferably 24Bit/96kHz and above. There are some fine selections available for download, but compared to what is readily available on compact disc worldwide it doesn't amount to a single drop in a 50 gallon barrel. If and when the available download catalog nears the current CD database total, then scraping a transport might be an alternative. Until such time, I will be keeping my transports.

Still-One
09-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Cincy.......In my opinion, the biggest bottleneck for downloading music is the extremely limited catalog of available artists and titles. I'm not talking about MP3 or iTunes crap, I'm talking about recorded quality that begins at 16Bit/44.1 and goes up from there, preferably 24Bit/96kHz and above. There are some fine selections available for download, but compared to what is readily available on compact disc worldwide it doesn't amount to a single drop in a 50 gallon barrel. If and when the available download catalog nears the current CD database total, then scraping a transport might be an alternative. Until such time, I will be keeping my transports.
Dan
You hit the nail right on the head. Good post.

Jim

joeinid
09-30-2012, 01:56 PM
I am still thinking about purchasing and probably will buy the matching cd/sacd transport for my EMM Labs DAC. There's nothing like a dedicated piece of gear that does exactly what it is supposed to do and does it extremely well. I still like/want the transport as long as I have the media. If cds were gone or not available, I'd reconsider.

Masterlu
09-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I am still thinking about purchasing and probably will buy the matching cd/sacd transport for my EMM Labs DAC. There's nothing like a dedicated piece of gear that does exactly what it is supposed to do and does it extremely well. I still like/want the transport as long as I have the media. If cds were gone or not available, I'd reconsider.

That's exactly how I feel.

chessman
09-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Me three. :)

Cincy2
09-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks everyone. Good points by all posters. My collection of CD's (over 1000) is complete. I only buy new Classical or Acoustic jazz from a few labels (BIS, 2L, Chesky, Mapleshade). Most provide hi res downloads.

Having said that, I'm still conflicted. Need to proceed with caution. Nonetheless I've asked for a quote from my favorite Crack er......dCS dealer.

Cincy

kfr01
09-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Cincy:

Hell of an impressive system! I bet those Levinson monoblocks really make the 800D's sing!

I haven't used a transport in many years.

Car commander
09-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a soolos control 15 and a MAC pro. I rarely use either. I find I like the CD better. I have 1500 plus CD's. Adding a computer to the mix doesn't increase the pleasure. I have over a thousand high res downloads some are better than CD's some are not.

Ritmo
09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Interesting dilemma - I'm with you. I haven't really decided personally my next move with my digital front end. Looking at computer based front ends (Aurender, Linn, Naim, Bryston,....) as well as getting a new transport. Have been considering the Esoteric K-03.

Oh, and not to mention DSD DACs - like the new EMM.

:scratch2:

Mike

Still-One
09-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Interesting dilemma - I'm with you. I haven't really decided personally my next move with my digital front end. Looking at computer based front ends (Aurender, Linn, Naim, Bryston,....) as well as getting a new transport. Have been considering the Esoteric K-03.

Mike
Mike
Like you I am always looking for alternative digital front ends but every one of them is lacking in one area or another. It is frustrating.

Jim

Ritmo
09-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike
Like you I am always looking for alternative digital front ends but every one of them is lacking in one area or another. It is frustrating.

Jim

Jim - :yes:

Mike

vintage_tube
09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm a touchy feely kind of guy; so CD's & LP's will be with me to the grave. Hope my heirs won't be disappointed; but, I won't give a sierra hotel india tango.

Best

Bob

joeinid
09-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Mike

Jim

Jim,

I totally agree. Just when I think I found the perfect server, I learn something else I don't like. Music servers are still in their infancy. It really can be a pleasure flipping through an actual cd drawer, picking something and pushing play. No drama, no wondering if everything is tweaked out correctly. Did I rip it correctly? Is the download better than the cd or the other way around? A great DAC with a great transport and whatever version of a music server on one of the inputs covers all the bases.

Ritmo
09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Jim,

I totally agree. Just when I think I found the perfect server, I learn something else I don't like. Music servers are still in their infancy. It really can be a pleasure flipping through an actual cd drawer, picking something and pushing play. No drama, no wondering if everything is tweaked out correctly. Did I rip it correctly? Is the download better than the cd or the other way around? A great DAC with a great transport and whatever version of a music server on one of the inputs covers all the bases.

Joe,

That's one of the reasons I'm still sitting on the sidelines. I feel this area is still evolving. There is no one clear winner here - just different philosophies and execution.

Mike

Car commander
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Mike

I have a K03. Once broken in it s really good.

Ritmo
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks CC!

Mike

joeinid
10-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Joe,

That's one of the reasons I'm still sitting on the sidelines. I feel this area is still evolving. There is no one clear winner here - just different philosophies and execution.

Mike

Hi Mike,

One of the main reason I went with the EMM Labs DAC2X - It has a superb transport available. It supports native DSD over USB and has plenty of inputs. It sounds absolutely wonderful, and is one of the less costly solutions out there. All the reviews have been stellar. I only have the DAC portion right now but will be adding the transport at some point.

I know the consensus points to the MSB dac package as top of the heap, and I believe it. But holy cow, it gets pricy very quickly. I am not known for holding back on the options ;) so I'd want it all. :)

Ritmo
10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Agree with you Joe.

Mike

Rocco
10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I still like CDs.

+1:thumbsup:

Elberoth
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I dumped my Puccini CDP and got myself the Scarlatti DAC and a PC server.

Cincy2
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. Additional thanks to Vintage Tube for recommending me to a dCS dealer I didn't have a previous relationship with. The Pag Transport and DAC will soon become a Vivaldi DAC. Review to follow in a few weeks.

Cincy

vintage_tube
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. Additional thanks to Vintage Tube for recommending me to a dCS dealer I didn't have a previous relationship with. The Pag Transport and DAC will soon become a Vivaldi DAC. Review to follow in a few weeks. Cincy

Congrats -- looking forward to your pictures and the review. I believe the new 'swirl' styling on the Vivaldi is very nicely done and that line is the best of the best. Based on past new launches, I believe it is safe to say the Vivaldi has no competition. You have reached the top of the digital mountain.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow!!

Best

Bob

Ritmo
10-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats Cincy!

Mike

Masterlu
10-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the input folks. Additional thanks to Vintage Tube for recommending me to a dCS dealer I didn't have a previous relationship with. The Pag Transport and DAC will soon become a Vivaldi DAC. Review to follow in a few weeks.

Cincy

http://www.audiostream.com/images/91512ears10.jpg

:thumbsup:

MyPal
10-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Perhaps the digital revolution has been largely an economic conspiracy to date.... I get that digital has its conveniences & is potentially more durable than its legacy analogue counterparts. I have yet to listen to the constantly evolving premium priced dCS & MSB stacks & given the testimonials, no doubt are the best that digital can offer today.

I work & watch in the digital world, but the deeper I get into this hobby, the more I appreciate that the best sound comes from the analogue domain. :)

Something to consider. The evolution of digital will continue to prevail as long as it remains plugged in.

Jerome W
10-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Perhaps the digital revolution has been largely an economic conspiracy to date.... I get that digital has its conveniences & is potentially more durable than its legacy analogue counterparts. I have yet to listen to the constantly evolving premium priced dCS & MSB stacks & given the testimonials, no doubt are the best that digital can offer today.

I work & watch in the digital world, but the deeper I get into this hobby, the more I appreciate that the best sound comes from the analogue domain. :)

Something to consider. The evolution of digital will continue to prevail as long as it remains plugged in.

Steve : I agree.
Although my personal taste went clearly to the old MDA1000 against the top of the line MSB dac in a direct A/ B test, I admit that the MSB sounded impressive and could be more suited to some.
But I enjoy more and more digital with my new amps. They make digital sounding darn good and rather close to my analog set up...

Portugal
10-06-2012, 03:26 AM

Cincy

Looks like a great decision. Looking forward for reading your review.

Elberoth
10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
The Pag Transport and DAC will soon become a Vivaldi DAC.

Way to go :thumbsup:

bzr
10-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Steve, you need to listen to a digital set-up that has been put together properly. Once you get to the level that you are talking about it really is all about fine tuning to the sound that you like. Yes I am saying I can change the sound of my system to suit internally as well as external.:music::thumbsup:

jfrech
10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Congrats ! I really hope you like the non transport way. Not being cynical just sincere. You had arguably one of the best transports on the planet! I am running a dCS Scarlatti transport, dac and clock.

Very curious what you find out here !

Still-One
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Is your analog a hand crank Edison unit or do you plug that in too. :D

Jim

vintage_tube
10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Is your analog a hand crank Edison unit or do you plug that in too. :DJim

Jim, you're pretty sharpe there for it being this hour of the evening. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express again last night?:scratch2::D:lmao:

Best

Bob

Still-One
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Jim, you're pretty sharpe there for it being this hour of the evening. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express again last night?:scratch2::D:lmao:

Best

Bob
Bob

:lmao:
Whatever happened to those good commercials. :dunno:

Jim

Cincy2
10-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Just heard its 8-10 weeks before I see my Black Vivaldi DAC. It was half that for silver but what the heck, I'm not exactly suffering with the Paganini version. Patience....

Cincy

vintage_tube
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Just heard its 8-10 weeks before I see my Black Vivaldi DAC. It was half that for silver but what the heck, I'm not exactly suffering with the Paganini version. Patience....

Cincy

Congrats - I'd love to see the black version (do you know if it has gold engraved lettering?).

Best

Bob

Echo
10-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm so pleased you and many other people are choosing to get rid of their cd players. Because of that I was able very recently to purchase one of the best of the world for cheap of someone who chose for streaming!

So go for this way and let me purchase the best cd players for the rest of my life; for me and all my great cd's!:thumbsup:

kev313
10-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Last year I purchased an Esoteric P05 / D05 combo. I have lots of SACDs and the D05 is used as a dac for my server as well. Best of both worlds.

kev313
10-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Jim,

True!

Cincy2
10-21-2012, 06:32 AM
True!

I did the swapping back and forth between CD and file for three months. In my system, they are the same quality. That was enough for me. Just as there are enthusiasts who still love washing vinyl LP's and tweaking tube variables, there will be those who want CD's to handle. I'm enjoying the heck out of sitting in the sweet spot and flipping through my collection on my iPad.

Cincy