PDA

View Full Version : Cj mv-60se

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Before I sleep I must report that I got the MV-60SE.

The tubes that it came with look like they're about one thousand years old. One of the bias lights will not come on at all. I'm guessing that ain't good. I'll swap that tube with one of the others and see if it makes a difference. My new tubes won't arrive for a bit.

It's playing right now and it sounds decent, but not great.

I suppose I'll call CJ next week if that bias light problem persists. *Sigh* Buying used can suck sometimes. Otherwise the amp looks brand new.

Jerome W
09-15-2012, 01:02 AM

The tubes that it came with look like they're about one thousand years old. One of the bias lights will not come on at all. I'm guessing that ain't good. I'll swap that tube with one of the others and see if it makes a difference. My new tubes won't arrive for a bit.

I suppose I'll call CJ next week if that bias light problem persists. *Sigh* Buying used can suck sometimes. Otherwise the amp looks brand new.

If the amp looks like new, that is a great thing. You just have to change all the tubes. Don't take any risk.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

joeinid
09-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Rory,

If the amp has not been used for a while, they can sound like a blanket is on your speakers. Congested, muffled, kind of weird for a while while everything gets energized and the caps start to reform. Patience. Change all the tubes. Don't mess around.

I think the bias of one tube can affect others in the circuit. It's not unusual to have to go back and forth to make sure all bias. That could be part of your problem.

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Thank you, gentlemen! I most certainly will take your advice right away!!!

You are absolutely right, Joe: the amp sounded like that about 2 hours ago when I listened to it at first. I think it's been in storage for awhile (cobweb in interior). Before I turned it off just now I put on a tune that I thought sounded fantastic with the Miniwatt and, gulp, the CJ, even in its hobbled state, annihilated the little fellow.

Anyway, I'll wait on the new tubes. Thanks!

joeinid
09-15-2012, 01:23 AM
A huge congratulations. This is a fun time for you. Enjoy the ride, that's part of the fun!

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks, Joe!

Oh, it's a bum tube causing the bias light to stay off. I must say these output tubes are really big! They've got mini satellite dishes and stuff inside them. :scratch2: Very fascinating and weird.

The amp weighs a ton.

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 05:00 AM
BTW, where do you guys get your CJ fuses from? I see this amp uses BUSS BB-3/4.

Edit: Oh I see an online place selling them. Expensive fuses, no less.

Joe Appierto
09-15-2012, 06:40 AM

You can order them directly from conrad-johnson. Give Ed a call. They've gone up in price (don't remember if they're $7.50 or $15 each) over the years but are still considerably less than the boutique fuses. That having been said, I thought the HiFi-Tuning Gold 38mm Special fuses made for a positive change in the sound of the Premier 140. But you're right, they aren't cheap.

rthomeint
09-15-2012, 09:31 AM

You can get them from Grainger they are cheaper than buy from CJ.

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks very much for the info.

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Uh, um, how do I figure out which HiFi tuning fuse to use with the MV60? :o

Very sorry, novice here.

ronenash
09-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Congrats on your new amp. The MV60SE is a great amp which I am sure you will enjoy. If the bias light does not come on for one of the tubes you have a tube that has gone out of spec and needs replacing. I think it is a good practice to re-tube the an amp that has been purchased used since in most cases you have no idea what was the history of these tubes. CJ amps have a limited range of bias for the tubes and tubes that fall out of that range will not bias correctly.
I would replace all tubes including the input and driver tubes that are just as important to get the best out of the amp.
I would not run the amp without being able to bias it correctly. You have no easy way of knowing how much out of spec the tubes are and your amp essentially runs out of balance which can stress some of the circuits in the amp. Better wait for the new tubes to arrive.

Joe Appierto
09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Uh, um, how do I figure out which HiFi tuning fuse to use with the MV60? :o

Very sorry, novice here.

Rory,

If your amp takes the BSS 3/4 fuse (which is the same one the Pr. 11A takes, also), then you'd need a fast blow 3/4 amp fuse in the large size. (There are other companies which make boutique fuses such as Synergistic Research and Furutech, but I've never tried those brands). You'll also have three choices if you're going to get HiFi-Tuning fuses: Gold, Silver and Supreme which are $39.95, $49.95 and $79.95 each in the large size, respectively. They're all supposed to have a characteristic sound and they're all directional.

They don't carry a 750mA (3/4 Amp) fuse; you'd need the 800mA fast blow, large size. HiFi-Tuning fuses will trip at basically whatever their amperage rating is, unlike conventional fuses which have about a 10% tolerance. So the 800mA fuse would be appropriate.

If you do decide to order them then talk to someone at the vendor and they'll walk you through how each are supposed to sound. The Premier 140 that I have uses a larger physical size fuse and that's only carried in their Gold line, so I didn't have a choice. When I recently ordered another HiFi-Tuning fuse for my CD player, the sales rep unhesitatingly recommended the Supreme. It's also the most expensive. :yes:

Also, I'd wait to put it in until you get your new tubes and they're all biased and settled in. Then switch fuses when you know the tubes are stable. Try them pointing one way, for example with the arrow on the fuse pointing towards the end cap of the fuse receptacle and listen to your system for a week or so. Then reverse them and see if you have a preference for which way they're oriented.

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 01:44 PM
:bowdown:

You guys are so great, you have no idea! Thank you!

Rone: thank you! I switched the amp off immediately after I was warned by Joe et. al. yesterday. Thanks for explaining what has happened to the tube: I couldn't understand how it could be defective but yet still putting out a normal sound, and not blowing the fuse. Now I know.

I got new 1 set of KT120 and another set of Tung Sol 6550 output tubes coming in. I also bought RCA 6SN7 black plates. I'm stuck on what 12AX7A to get so I haven't ordered any yet.

Joe A.: thank you so much for the valuable info. I've written down the spec you suggested for a fuse. I will wait till the new tubes settle in like you recommend. Again, THANK YOU!!!!

ronenash
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
The 12AX7 I suspect will have the biggest influence on the sound. Try some current production Gold Lion or Tung-Sol. They are both great and come in at a relatively good price. You can experiment latter with NOS tubes if you wish to do so.

Littlebunny
09-16-2012, 12:25 PM
^ Crap! I bought NOS Mullard. Anyway, I'll check out the Gold Lions (at least I know the 6922 GLs sound great!)Thanks!

I forgot to post this:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k532/moobie1/mv60.jpg

Please excuse the DIY 'equipment stand'. I'm waiting for a custom stand to be finished.

joeinid
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Looks great Rory!

Littlebunny
09-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank yew, thank yew. Too bad it's not up and running yet. Oh, I just bought a pair of GL 12AX7s too. At this rate I'll be supplying tubes for the entire planet in a month. :crazy:

joeinid
09-16-2012, 12:56 PM
At least when she's up and running you'll forget about any tube problems.

Puma Cat
09-16-2012, 12:57 PM
^ Crap! I bought NOS Mullard. Anyway, I'll check out the Gold Lions (at least I know the 6922 GLs sound great!)Thanks!

I forgot to post this:

Please excuse the DIY 'equipment stand'. I'm waiting for a custom stand to be finished.

The Mullards will be fine, you may find you really like them.

Hatzudokiseizo
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

I forgot to post this:

Superb pic..Wonderfull Amp!:thumbsup: I have the Modell MV75, unfortunately I can not upload photos:tears:

Greets Chris

Pider
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Looks great. Congratulations!

Littlebunny
09-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sorry, I keep missing posts.

Anyway...

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k532/moobie1/cj60.jpg

:music:

joeinid
09-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Wonderful photo!

Thanks Rory :)

Thanks guys. I'm sorry, I keep missing posts.

Anyway...

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k532/moobie1/cj60.jpg

:music:

Littlebunny
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Joe,

I see I've been missing out again: I see a VAC avatar!!! Awesome.

joeinid
09-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi Joe,

I see I've been missing out again: I see a VAC avatar!!! Awesome.

Right now it's wishful thinking. Nothing's selling. :no:

Littlebunny
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh gosh, don't worry Joe: people will definitely come along and buy. It took me 3 months to sell my Mc preamp, and that was cheap!

Love the new avatar. Reminds me of 'Pale Blue Dot' by Carl Sagan that I read some years back.

joeinid
09-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks Rory,

It's big, wide world out there. Much to discover, like audio gear ;)

Littlebunny
09-30-2012, 01:52 AM
One $200 NOS Mullard 12AX7 developed a hairline crack and just died. :tears: I must be cursed.

Time for $20 Tung Sol reissue.

vintage_tube
09-30-2012, 01:55 AM
One $200 NOS Mullard 12AX7 developed a hairline crack and just died. :tears: I must be cursed.

Or a $32 GL Reissue ECC83.:D:thumbsup:

Best

Bob

vintage_tube
09-30-2012, 02:12 AM
unfortunately I can not upload photos:tears:
Greets Chris

Chris,

Membership in AA has its privledges:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

A bunch of free stuff is available & ongoing (like the latest Diana Krall LP ((in vinyl or CD)) and a MusicMattersJazz LP remaster & a group buy for the upcoming Beatles vinyl box set, to a few.

Best

Bob

Littlebunny
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Aha! Thanks, Bob.

ronenash
10-01-2012, 04:38 AM

This is why I try to avoid the really expensive NOS tubes. You never know how they will hold up. I think current production tubes have really gone up in quality lately and you can get really good current production tubes cheaper and more consistent in quality.
With that said there are some fairly priced NOS tubes which are really good. Most of the 7DJ8 tubes come to mind.

Hatzudokiseizo
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Hello Littlebunny,
If you want to buy NOS tubes they should always be Gemachtet to rule out errors! Always offered with caution .... It is to the newer production Recommend ongoing manufactured tubes ... Just try ... with the NOS Phillips tubes, which are stable well...Greets Chris:music:

Littlebunny
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks very much, guys. I'm definitely going with your recommendation, rone. Funny you mention the NOS Phillips, Chris: the amp came with them and they seem to be working fine.

Littlebunny
10-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Hi guys,

Been absent for a bit. Believe it or not but the new output tubes I ordered from eBay more than a month ago haven't arrived. They probably got sent out in a canoe across the Atlantic.

I ordered KT-120s from Upscale Audio on Oct 10th based on recommendations I read here: they have yet to ship (although my cc was authorized since the 10th). I called a couple times; they said they would ship the day before or yesterday, but nope. Something to do with international orders.

Also, I discovered a page on Upscale's website where they put up (audio!) and email samples of "difficult" customer communications with them. I guess it's supposed to be funny but frankly, as a customer, I find this a trifle disturbing and distasteful. One less customer for them; honestly, I really don't think they care.

ronenash
10-19-2012, 01:24 PM
As an international customer I also found Upscale to be rude. But they did send everything on time.

Littlebunny
10-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks, rone. That makes me feel a little better. :hug:

Littlebunny
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I bought a pair of Tung Sol 12AX7 gold pin reissues and they sound utterly wonderful. Warm with a huge soundstage. I like them better than the GL reissues so far. Just in case anybody wanted to know. :thumbsup:

joeinid
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I bought a pair of Tung Sol 12AX7 gold pin reissues and they sound utterly wonderful. Warm with a huge soundstage. I like them better than the GL reissues so far. Just in case anybody wanted to know. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rory!

Glad you are enjoying those wonderful amps. :music:

Smctigue
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone, first post. I just acquired a non SE MV60 in beautiful shape. Although I am enjoying it in its current state, I can't help but think how it would sound after the cap upgrade running KT120's.

Has anyone had any experience with the CJ C1 upgrade?

joeinid
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Smctigue,

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome2.::pg2:

Joe Appierto
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone, first post. I just acquired a non SE MV60 in beautiful shape. Although I am enjoying it in its current state, I can't help but think how it would sound after the cap upgrade running KT120's.

Has anyone had any experience with the CJ C1 upgrade?

Welcome, Smctigue.

Although not the MV60, did have the C1 upgrade done to my Premier 140 and thought it was worthwhile. Most noticeable improvements were increased detail and greater dynamics.

regards,

Smctigue
12-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys.

Joe, did you notice any change in tone after the upgrade?

Joe Appierto
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
The frequency extremes were better handled with more extension on both ends. Across the board, detail and dynamics were better. But no, the 140's basic character remained the same.

Bugs762
12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
The KT120s will sound good regardless of the caps. There's been a bunch written about this.

Bugs

Smctigue
12-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I converted to SE yesterday. Initial impressions with =C='s are very promising.

I'll have a quad of KT120's on Friday, can't wait!

keep_lookingup
12-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I thought I read somewhere, can't find it now, that the MV60SE could take a variety of tubes, not just the 6550. Have done some searching and can't seem to find anything. Could be my imagination, or wish. Anyone have any ideas? From what I have found it can only use the K120.
Thanks,
Doug

ronenash
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I thought I read somewhere, can't find it now, that the MV60SE could take a variety of tubes, not just the 6550. Have done some searching and can't seem to find anything. Could be my imagination, or wish. Anyone have any ideas? From what I have found it can only use the K120.
Thanks,
Doug

6550's, KT88, KT120 will all work.

keep_lookingup
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks Ronenash,
I was hoping to put some EL34's in it. Really appreciate the help.
Doug

Smctigue
12-14-2012, 11:23 PM
I received a quad of KT120's today. They've been burning in for about four hours in my MV60. First impressions, not so good. I am going to give them another 20 hours or so before I listen to them again.

Smctigue
12-23-2012, 01:06 PM
I thought I would pass along a tube combination in the MV60 that has been working quite well for me:

Sylvania 5751 (black plate - triple mica. Gold lettering - wartime tube)
Brimar CV1988 (dark brown base - black glass)
=C= 6550

This combo warms up the bass and midrange a bit while maintaining the transparency. All of this at the expense of SLIGHTLY decreased high end extension. Overall, my favorite combo so far by a wide margin. Extremely musical.

Bugs762
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I thought I would pass along a tube combination in the MV60 that has been working quite well for me:

Sylvania 5751 (black plate - triple mica. Gold lettering - wartime tube)
Brimar CV1988 (dark brown base - black glass)
=C= 6550

This combo warms up the bass and midrange a bit while maintaining the transparency. All of this at the expense of SLIGHTLY decreased high end extension. Overall, my favorite combo so far by a wide margin. Extremely musical.

Hmmm... Never thought about running a pair of 5751s in there. Have you compared them to 12ax7s?

Bugs

Littlebunny
04-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Apparently CJ uses GE 5751s in there originally (or at least that's what a previous owner told me). I am waiting for a pair from Upscale. I balked at the price of the Sylvanias so I decided to try the GEs first. Right now I have a pair of reissue Tung Sol 12AX7s doing duty. I think they are much nicer sounding than the Phillips NOS tubes I had before.

Interesting that the 6550s are preferable to you, Smctigue: I just plopped in the KT120s and didn't bother with the spare 6550s I've got. Maybe I'll give them a go.

Littlebunny
04-15-2013, 12:41 AM
I gave the Tung Sol 6550s a go and the KT120s won't be going back in. :no: The 6550s improved rhythm and pace: an area where I think the MV60 needs some serious help.

Littlebunny
04-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks Rory!

Glad you are enjoying those wonderful amps. :music:

What the...? Where's Joe?

USCG65Pilot
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Any new updates to this post? I am also curious if any of you use a power conditioner like the RS Duke with your tubed amp?

Bugs762
09-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I gave the Tung Sol 6550s a go and the KT120s won't be going back in. :no: The 6550s improved rhythm and pace: an area where I think the MV60 needs some serious help.

I've been inspired to take out my KT 120s and put the 6550s back in. Initial observation is that there is a little less on top, but a blacker background and more space between instruments. Maybe I'll try the 5751s tonight.

Bugs

Bugs762
09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Apparently CJ uses GE 5751s in there originally (or at least that's what a previous owner told me). I am waiting for a pair from Upscale. I balked at the price of the Sylvanias so I decided to try the GEs first. Right now I have a pair of reissue Tung Sol 12AX7s doing duty. I think they are much nicer sounding than the Phillips NOS tubes I had before.

Interesting that the 6550s are preferable to you, Smctigue: I just plopped in the KT120s and didn't bother with the spare 6550s I've got. Maybe I'll give them a go.

Checked my manual last night, CJ specs 12AX7-A and not 5751's, however that is not going to stop me from trying them.

opt817
10-10-2013, 03:56 AM
I've purchased MV60 with EL34 power tubes. It is not yet delivered. I intend to use it with PV10b pre and loudspeakers Dynaudio Contour S3,4. Loudspeakers have sensitivity of 88 db, used in middle size room 4x6m, music blues , jazz.
My question is: to use it with EL34 - does it has enough power for such LS or to convert it to SE with 6550 power tubes (alternative KT120). Your opinion, experience?

antaresbluespirit
01-13-2014, 07:36 AM
hello from France

I have been listening this combo for five years

I appreciate the PV8 for the soundstage, the sense of rythm ,the space between instrument in keeping a strong dynamic... ( not so obvious with latest generation of preamp)

it prooves a good combo in mixing warmth ,a lot of matters of the music as well as suffisant accuracy ;

The pV8 if fitted with GE tube ,6850 svetlana Winged C for the amp.

I am dreaming about evolution 20SE pre as the "graal":music:

should you be aware of one unit available somewhere, please let me know...

Regards

Raymond (Blois France)

Bugs762
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
My question is: to use it with EL34 - does it has enough power for such LS or to convert it to SE with 6550 power tubes (alternative KT120). Your opinion, experience?

The MV60 and the MV60SE are basically the same machine. However, to run the 6550s, a few components will need to be changed. If you're serious about it, contact CJ and they can let you know what you need to do.

Bugs