PDA

View Full Version : Playback Designs

RevelMann
09-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Hello friend,

I'm struggle on whether to get a MPS5 or MPS3, i know it is a matterof budget however my concern is whether worth for double the money, anyone can help ?

dmnc02
09-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello friend,

I'm struggle on whether to get a MPS5 or MPS3, i know it is a matterof budget however my concern is whether worth for double the money, anyone can help ?

The MPS3 can only read CD's (not SACD's), but it supports DSD over USB. If you are able to rip SACD's and want to save some money, you might as well go with the MPS3.

doggiehowser
09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I've heard the MPD3 against my XDS1 previously and now have the MPS5.

I also heard the MPD3 against the MPS5 in a friend's place.

The MPD3 is just the MPS3 sans transport.

The MPD3 does come close to the MPS5 but it loses the last smidgen of resolving detail. For almost twice the price, you are getting the last 10%. But that's the way with hifi: decreasing returns.

And as stated previously, the MPS3 doesn't read SACDs. The 5 series can also be cascaded to play back multi channel SACDs if you are that way inclined using the Playlink cable from one MPS5 and daisychained to 1 or 2 MPD5s (4.0 or 5.1 respectively). Only wish they had put in the Playlink connectors on the MPD3 :)

I still think it's a shame it doesn't play SACDs considering it's a DSD DAC. I think even putting a reasonably decent Marantz SACD transport would have been better. But Playback probably (wisely) was concerned it would cannibalize sales of the bigger brother.

dmnc02
09-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I still think it's a shame it doesn't play SACDs considering it's a DSD DAC. I think even putting a reasonably decent Marantz SACD transport would have been better. But Playback probably (wisely) was concerned it would cannibalize sales of the bigger brother.

I think it is catered to customers who prefer computer playback. For what matters, I have an SACD transport, but I mainly use it when people visit and bring SACD's I don't already own. Otherwise, I prefer to play the ripped DSD files from the SACD, not only for convenience but mainly because IMO they sound better.

doggiehowser
09-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I think it is catered to customers who prefer computer playback.

No, that would be the MPD3. That's for computer playback. But the MPS3 has a spinner.

Otherwise, I prefer to play the ripped DSD files from the SACD, not only for convenience but mainly because IMO they sound better.

That's only if you have found a way to rip SACDs.

dmnc02
09-14-2012, 10:56 PM
No, that would be the MPD3. That's for computer playback. But the MPS3 has a spinner.

Good point: I had forgotten the MPD3.

That's only if you have found a way to rip SACDs.

It has been around for about a year now: you can Google it or send me a PM if you want additional information.

doggiehowser
09-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I know how to rip SACDs. But you do need a pretty old PS3 that hasn't had its firmware updated beyond 3.55.

Still-One
09-15-2012, 08:05 AM
I know how to rip SACDs. But you do need a pretty old PS3 that hasn't had its firmware updated beyond 3.55.
The files you end up with are very, very large as I understand. Those old PS3 are supposedly getting hard to find too.

Jim

dmnc02
09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
The files you end up with are very, very large as I understand. Those old PS3 are supposedly getting hard to find too.

Jim

If you are only interested in the stereo layer, it takes about 1.6GB per SACD, which is about the same as 24/96 uncompressed PCM and significantly less than 24/192. And it is still relatively easy to track down a used PS3 with the right firmware. The alternative (until DSD downloads really pick up) would be to use much more expensive professional equipment.

RevelMann
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Finally bought the MPS3, unbelieveable transparency, ultra resolution, a much better sound than my previous EMMLabs CDSASE, Wadia 381SC..!

Amfibius
11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Congratulations! It sounds like it would fit in quite nicely in your system!

RevelMann
11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Congratulations! It sounds like it would fit in quite nicely in your system!

Yes, the bass of the MPS3 is fast, well controlled, it somehow made my Sasha a better bass response in my smallesh room, just got 150 hrs on it, guess there will be more improving hour by hour !

System synegy is all about :)

sidvee
01-14-2013, 11:41 PM
I am considering a MPD3 Dac from Playback. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but I was wondering how this DAC would compare against the Ayon Skylla. I have the Ayon Cd2s and love the sound, when it is used a DAC with its dig . input, and I am looking at either of these two options as an upgrade.
Cheers,
Sid

doggiehowser
01-15-2013, 12:39 AM
I have the Ayon CD5S and the MPS5 side by side in my study system :)

The Ayon is also a great tube preamp.

I find the Playback far more resolving and able to provide a lot of separation between instruments and voices than the Ayon.

On the times I listened to the Ayon, I found the 16/44 media seemed to have better attack/initial transients. But I am not sure if it is an artefact of RBCD encoding because when I have the Linn/HDTracks equivalent at higher sampling rates like 24/96 or 192, the attacks are also a bit more rounded and less apparent. But a lot of people like that effect.

The Playback playing the same 16/44 sounds more like the Ayon playing 24/96 or 192 native files.

I borrowed a friend's MPD3 for a while and it was very very good. I'd say it is perhaps 90% of the MPS5 for about half the price.

sidvee
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
The Playback playing the same 16/44 sounds more like the Ayon playing 24/96 or 192 native files.

I borrowed a friend's MPD3 for a while and it was very very good. I'd say it is perhaps 90% of the MPS5 for about half the price.

Thank you kindly Doggiehowser. What was your opinion on the somewhat warm signature (is it the tubes?) bestowed on the sound by the Ayon, vs the solid state sound (I presume) of the MPD-3. Reason I ask is I recently compared the Ayon cd2s dac to the pro Prism Orpheus DAC and came away from that comparison vastly preferring the Ayon, precisely because of that so called warmth. I am no expert, but Pro dac's tend to underwhelm me.
Cheers,
Sid

doggiehowser
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
I have a tube preamp (ARC 5SE) in the main room.

When I first had the Ayon, I hooked it up to my then 5 (nonSE) preamp but didn't like it. The music and pace was all wrong, I thought.

I think I can only have one tube component in my system. So in the living room, it is the solid state XDS1 feeding the ARC.

In the study, the Ayon is the tube preamp to the MPS5.

If you like the tube sound, perhaps Ayon may be more suited unless you have a tube preamp.

sidvee
01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
If you like the tube sound, perhaps Ayon may be more suited unless you have a tube preamp.

I plan to use the Lamm ll2.1 deluxe as the pre. Thanks a lot again for your insight. I will investigate the MPD-3.
Cheers,
Sid