PDA

View Full Version : Fired up the C-J tube gear again....

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 01:53 AM
What with my systematic burning in of my Premier 350 lately and using the CT-5 to drive it, my tube based LP70S power amp and Premier 17LS preamp have gotten virtually no use over the last six weeks.

As I was pining for a bit of all-tube magic again, I reconnected the speaker and power cables to the LP70S and Pr17.

Gotta say that upon firing them up again, things were sounding a mite congested, muddy, and closed-in compared to when these two components had been in daily use as my reference system for the better part of two years.

It's pretty clear that when these components have not been in use for some time, they require some "re"-burn-in.

I'm not worried, though, as I know very clearly how good these two sound once they are in regular use.

joeinid
09-14-2012, 01:59 AM
+1

I just rotated my Dartzeel back in to get some perspective from the Pass amps. Yuk! It's been off to the side for the past couple of months, not even plugged in. The past hour or so is pretty average. After a hiatus like this, it will be singing sweetly by morning. It's already getting better but, you really have to use your gear to keep it "lubed" up.

Happy listening Stephen!

PS - I really love my Dart amp. Bar none. I think I've found my muse.

turntable
09-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Pass amps Joe?

which ones?

joeinid
09-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Pass amps Joe?

which ones?

Pass XA100.5's with a Pass XP-30. I know it's tough to keep up. :yes:

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 03:00 AM
+1

I just rotated my Dartzeel back in to get some perspective from the Pass amps. Yuk! It's been off to the side for the past couple of months, not even plugged in. The past hour or so is pretty average. After a hiatus like this, it will be singing sweetly by morning. It's already getting better but, you really have to use your gear to keep it "lubed" up.

Happy listening Stephen!

PS - I really love my Dart amp. Bar none. I think I've found my muse.

Yeah, I've been listening all evening, and it's about midnight here and I've got Melody's "My One and Only Thrill" LP on the turntable, and things are starting to sound pretty darn good. The magic is returning. Things will be right as rain in a couple weeks. Will set up the CT-5/Pr350 with the Era D4s to continue the burn in process during the day while I am at work.

Speaking of finding your muse, the irony of all this is that the evening before I heard and bought the Pr350, I was listening to my system for the entire evening, and I remember thinking that night that it was sounding amazingly good. I guess one could go sideways from there, but I'm not convinced one could really go up from where I was that night.

joeinid
09-14-2012, 03:25 AM
It's a good thing I'm not a mechanic. Is be tightening up some bolts, then one turn too many, snap, oops too far :(

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 03:30 AM
It's a good thing I'm not a mechanic. Is be tightening up some bolts, then one turn too many, snap, oops too far :(

Ha! That's what a torque spec and a torque wrench are for! :D

joeinid
09-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Ha! That's what a torque spec and a torque wrench are for! :D

I wish I had one for audio. This way is know when to stop.

ronenash
09-14-2012, 08:35 AM
I AM alternating setups almost daily and keep thing well cooked all the time. Solid state CA200 for short listening sessions and background music and tubed LP125mSE for long sessions.

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Sounds like a nice way to do things, Ron. I suggested a similar approach to Joe: am SS amp like the CA200 or Pr350 for casual or background listening, that way he could get a tube amp like an ART for "serious" listening.

joeinid
09-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a nice way to do things, Ron. I suggested a similar approach to Joe: am SS amp like the CA200 or Pr350 for casual or background listening, that way he could get a tube amp like an ART for "serious" listening.

They are still on my mind. With all this amp swapping on my TADs, I seem to prefer my Dartzeel best. It may not have the deepest or widest sound stage, but it's the most musical on my CR-1's. I am thinking keeping the Dart amp, getting it's matching preamp and going back to CJ for the GAT/ART combo. Wait for it - then I'm done :banana:.
If I am going to deal with heat, it's going to be glorious tube heat.

Stay tuned ......

nz022
09-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I am thinking keeping the Dart amp, getting it's matching preamp and going back to CJ for the GAT/ART combo. Wait for it - then I'm done :banana:.

Stay tuned ......

I can not be the only one laughing or am I ? :D

chessman
09-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I am, too. :D

joeinid
09-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Go ahead and laugh. I am having way too much fun.

You too Randy. ;)

chessman
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Go ahead and laugh. I am having way too much fun.

You too Randy. ;)

I am just in awe of the gear that moves through there. :D

joeinid
09-14-2012, 02:03 PM

I'll be holding classes soon.

chessman
09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Joe, a serious question, if I may.

Do you think that you run the gear long enough for it to burn in to the point of giving its true sonic signature?

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty confident that Joe has given the Dart enough time to know of it's true sonic signature.

joeinid
09-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Joe, a serious question, if I may.

Do you think that you run the gear long enough for it to burn in to the point of giving its true sonic signature?

Some yes, some no. Except for the Conrad Johnson gear, most gear does not change that significantly. CJ seems to have the biggest transformation, IMHO. I clearly remember when the GAT became amazing. It's like chasing your first high, so I'm told. :naughty:

joeinid
09-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty confident that Joe has given the Dart enough time to know of it's true sonic signature.

I have and its playing now. Love it on my TADs. I'm torn with trying the Dart pre or just going back with the GAT on the amp. If I did not have the Dart amp, I would have given up on the TADs.

Joe Appierto
09-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Ditto. I get to live vicariously through your system and many of the other guys on this forum. :yes:

ronenash
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM

I love spending other peoples money... :D :yes:

joeinid
09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I love spending other peoples money... :D :yes:

Ha!

Ron,

I appreciate all your advice, tremendously.

ronenash
09-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you Joe.
We are all in this together...

joeinid
09-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Thank you Joe.
We are all in this together...

That's what makes it so fun :D

turntable
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I have and its playing now. Love it on my TADs. I'm torn with trying the Dart pre or just going back with the GAT on the amp. If I did not have the Dart amp, I would have given up on the TADs.

I would go the Dart pre for pure synergy, unless you are going to try out a set of cj tubes amps at some time.
That said, there are a couple of LP140's for just over 5k on gon.

joeinid
09-15-2012, 12:50 AM
I would go the Dart pre for pure synergy, unless you are going to try out a set of cj tubes amps at some time.
That said, there are a couple of LP140's for just over 5k on gon.

:yes:

I do plan on it. Not sure which way to go.

turntable
09-15-2012, 01:59 AM
:yes:

I do plan on it. Not sure which way to go.

At least 4 x 6550's per channel. You will be wasting your $$ otherwise IMO compared to what you have now. You need the tone AND drive/dynamics that larger tubes amps can provide. Ommv.
What to buy - world is your oyster on choices:scratch2:

Rommark
09-15-2012, 04:03 AM

I am laughing too but for a different reason. Thanks to Joe, I'm anxiously awaiting Prem 350 to feed my SF Anniversario. :banana:

The CJ Prem 16 and CA200 pairing sounded great so I wonder what the bigger brother will add to the mix.

Rommark

Littlebunny
09-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Well I got a brief taste of the enormous, holographic, CJ-specialty soundstage (before I had to turn the amp off for safety reasons (bum tube)) with my bottom-rung CJ gear. I'd find it hard to give up something like that. It's the CJ soundstage calling to ya!

Scrounging all over the internet for tubes isn't too much fun tho'. :no:

joeinid
09-17-2012, 01:44 AM
I am laughing too but for a different reason. Thanks to Joe, I'm anxiously awaiting Prem 350 to feed my SF Anniversario. :banana:

The CJ Prem 16 and CA200 pairing sounded great so I wonder what the bigger brother will add to the mix.

Rommark

Monday is the big day. Give it a little while to warm up and enjoy. Thanks Rommark!!!

Puma Cat
09-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Well, this thread has sure gone off the rails....:scratch2:

joeinid
09-17-2012, 02:16 AM
Guilty as charged. :(

Puma Cat
09-17-2012, 02:19 AM
No worries...

BTW, I'm listenin' to that tube gear right now (the Premier 17 and LP70S), and it's sounding mighty fine, I must say...might not take me two weeks to get back up to speed after all.

vintage_tube
09-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Well, this thread has sure gone off the rails....:scratch2:

:D

Bob

Puma Cat
09-17-2012, 02:23 AM
:D

Bob

Great pic...

vintage_tube
09-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Great pic...

Corporal(P) Bob

P.S. Did you take it???:scratch2:

Puma Cat
09-17-2012, 02:25 AM
By the way, something I found interesting that Vhiner posted the other day was that it took 1800 hours for his CT-5 to sound world-class. :eek: And that the Teflon caps can revert pretty quickly after a month or so of non-use. Something to keep in mind when switching out gear, and looks like I still have more burn-in to go on my CT-5...(not to mention the Pr350).

joeinid
09-17-2012, 02:29 AM
By the way, something I found interesting that Vhiner posted the other day was that it took 1800 hours for his CT-5 to sound world-class. :eek: And that the Teflon caps can revert pretty quickly after a month or so of non-use. Something to keep in mind when switching out gear, and looks like I still have more burn-in to go on my CT-5...(not to mention the Pr350).

Wow !!! :eek:

CJ gear is the toughest to break in, but the most rewarding. :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-17-2012, 02:31 AM
The best things are those worth waiting for....

Coppy
09-17-2012, 04:22 PM
No worries...

BTW, I'm listenin' to that tube gear right now (the Premier 17 and LP70S), and it's sounding mighty fine, I must say...might not take me two weeks to get back up to speed after all.

Right.