PDA

View Full Version : How to convert LP to Flac.....

blacsno
07-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Here is my version on how to do this process. I've spent many years and wasted dollars on sound cards. I now have a process that is simple and quick! I really have only two points I'll stand firm on. You must have a record cleaner. I built my own and I'll put it up against over priced units. It's a VP knock off, I can post pictures. Very easy to build also. The second point is the use of WinXP. Please understand Microsoft Vista doesn't want you using SDIF connection PERIOD!!!
While in early development I was beta testing and a funny thing happen. Audio functionality became a hit and miss "cough DRM in Vista". I've said my piece and I'll stay in WinXP and Linux. If I need to move to an updated PC it will be a Mac!!

I do suggest that you use RME Hammerfall HDSP9632 or M-Audio 2496 or 192.
They have XLR connector "analog" available. Why XLR? NO NOISE!!!. PC are noisy little buggers........ Think of Hammerfall = C1000T, M-Audio = C220, just to give a scale not a slight. If you gotta use SDIF, then plan on a AD/DA convert. Having WinXP will a bonus due to the freedom of it's SDIF. Warning NEVER TAKE SOUND DRIVER FROM MICROSOFT! Even in WinXP they have shown me that they can TURN-OFF SDIF. When I called them about this all I got was it's our RIGHT! This is just an over view not the be all and end all........

Well here is software process of an album I did this evening. Process minus the LP runtime about 8 min.

Ken

blacsno
07-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Hmmmm only 10 at a time........

blacsno
07-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Okay I gotta learn a neater way!!!

1KW
07-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the overview. I am a powermac pro user. I have no idea what sound card I have it is the new 2.8 ghz, 500 gig HD, 4 gig ram model. I was planning on using garage band and the built in analog to digital converter or would this degrade the sound ?

It would be nice if you created a new thread on your DIY record cleaner with pictures. Tnx David

blacsno
07-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the overview. I am a powermac pro user. I have no idea what sound card I have it is the new 2.8 ghz, 500 gig HD, 4 gig ram model. I was planning on using garage band and the built in analog to digital converter or would this degrade the sound ?

It would be nice if you created a new thread on your DIY record cleaner with pictures. Tnx David

What can I say built in sound cards behave just like stereo equipment :music:. Just for example: You go with the sdif route. How good is that card AD/DA converter? Or if you select the analog connection? Only you ears and your equipment can evaluate the quality of the recording. I should mention the need for external/internal hard drives! FLAC quality files will require 3TB's to do 1500 LP collection, WITH BACKUP, I REPEAT BACKUP!!! Once it again a 3yr old PCs can used as an server or NAS. This also can be built cheap. CHEAP doesn't mean lack of quality or functionality, it's just the opposite!! Also did I mention that you should BACKUP the data! I can do a thread on the cleaner and building a music server. The server building is great for the Sonos and Squeeze box user!!

Ken

blacsno
09-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Well I'm about to venture into installing Windows 7. I'm very interested on how Microsoft views on SPDIF/analog usage in this version. Microsoft has shown in XP that they can control usage! If you don't believe me in XP, uninstall Creative Labs drivers and let Microsoft install there version of the same driver! :D Maybe you'll have SPDIF or not!! :nono: I'm side tracking in my testing.

I just want to know how RME Hammerfall, M-Audio, and EMU sound. :music: Since the release of Vista sound cards usages for other than listening to Windows chime upon start-up has been problematic. Can I have a AMEN for DRM!!:banana:

Ken

warmit
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Well I am new to this, so here it is.

i use Spin it again free software from Acoustica. it has a feature that searches for the album on internet and lists tracks, album info and titles for you. you simply record the album. included are various effects and clean up features or you can edit or clean manually. you can use the set cut positions or move them to your liking (ie: keeping 2 tracks as 1 or eliminating the dead air between cuts.)
after you are done you can save in various formats (sadly, no FLAC) so i convert to FLAC with Audio Convertor.

Takes approx 50-60 minutes per album and sound quality is fantastic.

for simplicity, i run PCIMAX3000 radio broadcaster for general listening anywhere within200 yards over fm radio and direct to Krell for private pleasures.

jwhite613
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
warmit... Welcome To AA!!!!

:welcome2.:

chessman
02-23-2012, 12:58 AM
warmit, welcome aboard! :wave:

zagoreo
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM

i use Spin it again free software from Acoustica. ....

Warmit, thanx for the tip , but are you sure this sw is free? There is a $34.95 tag on their web site....