PDA

View Full Version : PMC Amplification - What are you using and why?

essjay
09-13-2012, 10:05 AM
as the title states, i am wondering what you are all using with your PMC's

anyone feel like sharing?

also add what else you tried before you settled on your final amp as i am interested to know this as well because i am looking at options for my ob1i's at the moment

thanks

jdandy
09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
essjay.......The original amplifier I used with my PMC EB1i's was a McIntosh MC275 MkV. It sounded glorious. The only exception I had with it was power, so I replaced it with a McIntosh MC352. No power issues there. I then tried a pair of MC275's running in mono, and enjoyed that McIntosh/PMC pairing very much. Then I put a pair of MC501's on the PMC's, and now have a pair of McIntosh MC601's driving the EB1i's.

Not a single one of those amplifiers disappointed me with their musical presentation. The dual mono MC275 MkV amplifiers were amazing in presenting rich vocals in a totally realistic fashion. Now that the MC601's are driving my PMC's, I have it all, a solid and very quick bass, tons of dynamic headroom, a silky midrange and airy top end, plus pace, rhythm and timing that suits me perfectly. You can't go wrong with any of the amplifiers I used, but the MC601's are the cat's meow.

EightZeroZeroDelta
09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
essjay, PMC is commonly used with Bryston as they have been two companies who have been working with each other for some time. Customers often find great results when using them together in their homes as well. I do not have personal experience with this but I know a few on here can. Perhaps, they will get you their opinions along with those who drive PMC's with something else.

Jerome W
09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
With my EB1i, I had the MC501's with great results.
Then switched to the 2301's and it was much better.
Very good too with the Manley Snappers monoblocks.
And also glorious with the Rega Osiris.
Not made for the Verdier 845 monoblocks and the pairing with my Naim NAP 250/2 was also far from ideal.
Got nice results with a small Audiolab 8000 PX.
Waiting now for a MC2205.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

essjay
09-13-2012, 11:16 AM
thanks for the feedback, i know about the pmc/bryston combo as it is documented very well but i wanted to know what else there is. That formal relationship now seems to be dissolved now that bryston is making speakers tho, accept in the pro ranges of PMC's line up...

I have noticed there is a lot of mac owners with PMC on here as well, and this is proof that it warrants more investigation on my end.

so aside from the two obvious ones, what else is in use?

Removed
09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
thanks for the feedback, i know about the pmc/bryston combo as it is documented very well but i wanted to know what else there is. That formal relationship now seems to be dissolved now that bryston is making speakers tho, accept in the pro ranges of PMC's line up...

I have noticed there is a lot of mac owners with PMC on here as well, and this is proof that it warrants more investigation on my end.

so aside from the two obvious ones, what else is in use?

I would have to disagree with you regarding your comment on the formal relationship is dissolved between Bryston and PMC......

PMC Powers up its Bryston Distribution Business with New Appointment to Focus on Brand Development | PMC Loudspeakers (http://www.pmc-speakers.com/news/pmc-powers-its-bryston-distribution-business-new-appointment-focus-brand-development)

jdandy
09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Jeff.......Thanks. PMC is a great company, as is Bryston.

MC352
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I use my MC275, and MC352 with my PMC's and I still think it sounds great.

essjay
09-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I would have to disagree with you regarding your comment on the formal relationship is dissolved between Bryston and PMC......

PMC Powers up its Bryston Distribution Business with New Appointment to Focus on Brand Development | PMC Loudspeakers (http://www.pmc-speakers.com/news/pmc-powers-its-bryston-distribution-business-new-appointment-focus-brand-development)

sorry my bad, I read it on another board and should have checked the facts before repeating what i read, i assumed and we all know how that ends.... :yes:

those snappers look interesting btw...there is a set on AG for about 2500 as well :scratch2:

Removed
09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
sorry my bad, I read it on another board and should have checked the facts before repeating what i read, i assumed and we all know how that ends.... :yes:

those snappers look interesting btw...there is a set on AG for about 2500 as well :scratch2:

No worries, all is good :thumbsup:

The Snappers on agon have been up there for awhile, the asking price seems a bit low and a few have requested pictures but the seller says there are none.....Hmmmmmmm. Proceed with caution IMO. Snappers work well with PMC BTW :yes:

PMCH
09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
I can't say which amp I like better with my EB1i's since I purchased the speakers after I had my MC601's and didn't compare them to anything else. The EB1i's do sound great with the McIntosh amps to me though.

essjay
09-15-2012, 09:06 AM
No worries, all is good :thumbsup:

The Snappers on agon have been up there for awhile, the asking price seems a bit low and a few have requested pictures but the seller says there are none.....Hmmmmmmm. Proceed with caution IMO. Snappers work well with PMC BTW :yes:

thanks for the warning

I can't say which amp I like better with my EB1i's since I purchased the speakers after I had my MC601's and didn't compare them to anything else. The EB1i's do sound great with the McIntosh amps to me though.

like most others i am very much seduced by the blue meters but mac gear is very exxy so i think i will try the bryston path for something different as its closer to my budget

thanks

jbc
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm currently using a Linn 5125 to power my ob1 speakers with four of the five channels (bi amped) and use the fifth channel for the cb6i centre channel. It's rated at 125 wpc into 8 ohms.

After hearing a Bryston 4b sst2 with pmc speakers, I'm seriously tempted. It works really well, and the extra power and damping factor makes a difference... Not to mention the increased resolution of detail in the mids and treble.

Anyone use Bryston powerpac amps? I'm curious how a powerpac 120 would fit on my centre channel speaker (or if it does). I haven't been able to find any instructions in any of my pmc manuals.

Cheers,
Jbc

jdebonth
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I used a MC402 on Fb1i's and then Eb1i's and then moved to a burmester 911mk3 - the improvement I got with this amp was HUGE. I personally would be more tempted to try bryston than MC - I have heard bryston with PMC a few times and have always been very impressed.

jbc
04-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I've bitten the bullet and am taking the plunge on a 4Bsst2 for the fronts, and a powerpac 300 for the centre channel (to mix metaphors). I suspect that will do rather nicely.

Now I just have to wait for the delivery...

essjay
04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
I think a 4bsst2 is my next stop as well, been eying them off badly of late and looking at ways to finance the upgrade.

in fact i am afraid to visit my local hifi store to see if they will loan me one to demo at home....in case they actually do

PMCspeakers
04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
PMC speakers works very well with Hegel amplification. I am currently using a Hegel H200 (2x200 W) with my OB1i. This combination produces a big, smooth and organic sound as well as well defined bass.

I am, however, currently looking for an upgrade. The H200 is a very fine amplifier, but the new H300 (2x250 W) is a big step up and this amplifier is a steal. Still, I am dreaming of a pair of Hegel H30 (2x1100 W) monoblocks. The H30 is for sure a tough match for the Bryston 28B SST-2.

Peter

flaxton
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I use a krell kav400xi. They sound great with this. Very pleased. I have not tried them with any other amplifier.

s_Sachin
07-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Has anyone paired a Marantz with pmc. I own the pmc db1i and current pairing with a Leema acoustic amp which is loaned from a friend. This works pretty well with the speakers, but I have to give it back :(

There is a used Marantz 15s1 reference amp and an audiolab 8000a for sale without an option to audition :( Wondering if I should buy blind. Any recommendation on these or any other amps in the $1000 budget.

thanks much.

vinod_david
07-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Wow, Sachin, welcome to AA.

s_Sachin
07-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Thanks Vinod. Small world ��

CDLehner
07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi all; new to PMCs, so I don't have a huge sample-size...with regard to different amps pairing well. But I have to say...my new FB1i seem to really take to a pair of Wyred SX-500 monos I'm trying.

I don't know if it's the sweet VTL 2.5 tube pre-amp feeding them, or the FB1i (or a combination); but I've flirted with class-D before, and it always left me wanting. Technically fine...but dead-sounding; no life, no character, no "jump" to it.

IDK; I've been reading lately, class-D really needs to be fed well (and for me, that means a pre that has some life and character of its own...to balance-out the ruler-flat nature of class-D). But these FB1i seem to drink-in all that power. 28Hz response, is remarkable IMO...for a 6.5" 2-way; and the W4S really control that bass. Always sounds natural, and unstrained. :thumbsup:

jbc
07-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Ok, been a while.

I got the Bryston 4Bsst2 for the fronts (OB1), and the Bryston Powerpac 300 for the centre (CB6i), and I must say it is a remarkably satisfying match. I'm very happy with them. Compared to the old amp, everything is better: bass slam, speed, definition, imaging, freedom from grain or grit.

Like a good amp should, the Brystons show just how good the PMC's really are.

Masterlu
07-16-2013, 05:14 PM
s_Sachin... Welcome! :wave:

Ambo
07-22-2013, 09:17 AM
+1 for Bryston :yes: - always sound great with PMC's at the Bristol Show (UK). I've got my OB1's (and CB6 centre) bi-amped with an Arcam FMJ P7 7-channel power amp and I'm very happy with it. PMC/Arcam is a very common combo in the UK. Arcam replaced the P7 with the P777 a while back, which I haven't heard. They also do a P38 2-channel power amp, which I'm pretty sure you can run as a monoblock. :thumbsup:

s_Sachin
07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys. The Arcam is something I have access to here in India for demo, will definitely demo. Bryston is out of my budget :(

Anyone knows how these go with tube amps ? I read somewhere a SS is preferred.

Pyro
07-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Now running Mcintosh MC2301's on my EB1i's. :thumbsup:

essjay
07-26-2013, 01:17 AM
I have run tubes with gb1i's with excellent results, the stage was full and imaging was divine as was the timbre with vocals...in fact I still miss that combo but it just couldn't handle hip hop and trace at loud ( read stupid) volumes which was why i moved to the bigger PMC's.

bimmer
09-12-2013, 05:21 AM
I used to run my DB1S+ with Audiolab, then changed to Unison Research Uniform SE (an integrated hybrid tube+ss amp) which worked well for me. Still using this hybrid amp after I upgraded my speakers to Twenty 23's recently. Will see how it goes with more break-in time.

bimmer
09-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I used to run my DB1S+ with Audiolab, then changed to Unison Research Uniform SE (an integrated hybrid tube+ss amp) which worked well for me. Still using this hybrid amp after I upgraded my speakers to Twenty 23's recently. Will see how it goes with more break-in time.

Typo: should be Unico SE

Subframe
10-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Can anyone recommend some tube integrateds that might work well with the twenty.24? I need to go with an integrated as I need to downside a bit (new baby on the way).

Manley's integrateds are likely underpowered. And I'm sure Mcintosh sound great, but I find them terribly ugly. I may be the only person in the world to think so lol.

Thanks

-E-
10-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Hybrid or full tube? Aesthetix gear with PMC was very solid when I listened not too long ago.

Subframe
10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
All-tube for now. I've got nothing against hybrids, but all else being equal, I'd go with a tube amp.

Masterlu
10-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Subframe... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Subframe
10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Why thank you!

-E-
10-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Hrmmm... did you have a budget? What pre-amp do you have now? Front-end? I don't like to just blindly say "oh this will rock you" - especially if the synergy will be off. ;)

PMCH
10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Subframe,
When I had my PMC EB1i's, I found that I preferred them with a lot of power and used SS to power them instead of tubes. I may be unusual as I tend to prefer the sound of SS over tubes. I believe SS integrated amps are easier to find, less expensive and more problem free than tube integrated amps. Just my $.02.

Subframe
10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Let's see, my budget is around $5k USD. This obviously opens up some interesting possibilities, including plenty of SS designs. SS is indeed the obvious choice for PMCs, but before I go down that route, I thought I'd do some research to see if there are any copacetic tube designs that would be interesting.

I currently run Martin Logan Vantages, driven by a Rogue Hydra and PrimaLuna Prologue 3. I bought those items used, as an entry point into hifi again after being away for a while, and while it's all nice enough, I'm not married to any of it at all. I need to move from separates to an integrated at any rate.

Front end is a Nottingham SpaceDeck w/ SpaceArm and a DL103R into a New Valve Order SPA one. This sounds very very nice indeed, and will be staying :)

Thanks everyone

essjay
10-30-2014, 06:35 PM
an SS amp (300-400w) with a Cary SLP-05 tube pre would be a nice trade off :)

-E-
10-30-2014, 09:08 PM
essjay has a point... a SS amp with tube pre would be something nice... PMCs like power. Gotta feed that midrange-ability with something solid, for sure.

I'd almost venture to find a nice used BAT tube amp if you must have tubes to pair with the twenty.24s.

Subframe
11-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it makes the most sense to focus my search on solid state.

essjay
01-10-2015, 10:20 AM
essjay has a point... a SS amp with tube pre would be something nice... PMCs like power. Gotta feed that midrange-ability with something solid, for sure.

I'd almost venture to find a nice used BAT tube amp if you must have tubes to pair with the twenty.24s.

I am running full class A tube pre and power a the moment and its a damned fine combo.

45w pushes my MB2's just fine :music:

I still have a 450w SS amp but its not getting much use since I paired the tube power amp up with an ARC Ref 3.

predrag
02-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Hi to everyone here!
I am new to this forum so here is my history:
First PMC`s I owed were OB1 powered by Bryston 4B sst
After that I upgraded loudspeakers to EB1i and amps to 7B sst squared
Latest update was last week to PMC IB2 SE
For serious auditioning at home I had PMC MB2S and Maggies 3.7 on the amp side I had Mimetism power amp, Bryston 100B and few other things.
Obviously I am an SS fan.

Masterlu
02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
predrag... Welcome to AA! :wave: