PDA

View Full Version : Driver Tubes 2nd most impotant

rlw3
09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Spoke with Ed at CJ this morning as i am having my new to me pr 12s gone over and rebiased. Had ordered some cryoed 5751s from the tubeman and was wondering about the importance of quality of tubes at the driver 6fq7 position. Ed sez they are second most important for sound quality, which i did not know... saved me from becoming a penny wise pound foolish cheapskate.

Hatzudokiseizo
09-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Spoke with Ed at CJ this morning as i am having my new to me pr 12s gone over and rebiased. Had ordered some cryoed 5751s from the tubeman and was wondering about the importance of quality of tubes at the driver 6fq7 position. Ed sez they are second most important for sound quality, which i did not know... saved me from becoming a penny wise pound foolish cheapskate.

Hello,On my Premier 12 I have the 5751 Cryo tubes shoring. also say only that they sound not necessarily better. the money is paid off Expensive!.
Small tip: plug the money rather Tetes chamber into a perfect pair Matching of tubes and that's worth (no Cryos)!
What tubes did you type shoring 5751? Greets Chris:music:

rlw3
09-11-2012, 01:24 PM
my cryo 5751s are some ge jan (military) which were $78 a matched set. i like and trust Ken at the tube man site due to some privious tranactions with some cryo 6h30p on my act 2.2 and some cryo 6h1p on my art audio vinyl reference.

Hatzudokiseizo
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
my cryo 5751s are some ge jan (military) which were $78 a matched set. i like and trust Ken at the tube man site due to some privious tranactions with some cryo 6h30p on my act 2.2 and some cryo 6h1p on my art audio vinyl reference.

The GE JAN 5751 Tube-Triode is one of my Favorits:thumbsup:
Really a Top-Tube for the Brilliance Tone!!!
I Prefere at the Moment Phillips JAN 5751, Tonal much Volume! Best for Jazz and R&B...

Greets Chris

Joe Appierto
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM

I don't know if you've decided to replace the driver tubes or need to, but if you're so inclined you might want to check out the RCA 6FQ7 clear tops, the older white label triple mica GE 6CG7 grey plates or the Sylvania 6CG7 grey plates. They seemed to work particularly well in my 11A which is similar to a 12.

Just a thought.

Myles B. Astor
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't know if you've decided to replace the driver tubes or need to, but if you're so inclined you might want to check out the RCA 6FQ7 clear tops, the older white label triple mica GE 6CG7 grey plates or the Sylvania 6CG7 grey plates. They seemed to work particularly well in my 11A which is similar to a 12.

Just a thought.

Also the RCA windmill getter 5751. Had some selected ones from Gold Aero and they were excellent.

Joe Appierto
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Also the RCA windmill getter 5751. Had some selected ones from Gold Aero and they were excellent.

RCA or Raytheon?

rlw3
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
The great thing about tubes is the ability to change them sometimes with amazing differences. Please tell me Joe and Myles were do I find these beauties you speak of and how much are they. I hate falling in love with a nos tube then not being able to buy it again, kind of like Finding a Howell mountain zin marketed cheap never to be seen again:music: ps I have tried to solve the availability problem by chryoing accessible tubes that are not nos

Joe Appierto
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
The great thing about tubes is the ability to change them sometimes with amazing differences. Please tell me Joe and Myles were do I find these beauties you speak of and how much are they. I hate falling in love with a nos tube then not being able to buy it again, kind of like Finding a Howell mountain zin marketed cheap never to be seen again:music: ps I have tried to solve the availability problem by chryoing accessible tubes that are not nos

It depends on whether you want NOS or used but test good or test as new. Prices will vary depending on condition and the seller. But here are some vendors you could check out. I have no affiliation with any of them other than I've purchased tubes from them in the past and have been satisfied with them.

Brent Jessee: Audiophile Tube Price List (http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm)
Tube World: https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm
Vintage Tube Services: New Page 2 (http://vintagetubeservices.com/page20.html)
VacuumTubes.Net: preamp tubes (http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/preampnew.html)

And this is a private seller who has a nice selection as well, mostly used but some new, I believe:
GE, Sylvania, RCA 6CG7/6FQ7 Vacuum Tube/Valve Fest! - Audio Asylum Trader (http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Tubes/GE-Sylvania-RCA/6CG7-6FQ7/Vacuum-Tube-Valve-Fest/15411)

Happy hunting. :)

rthomeint
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I hate the sound of cyroed input tubes in my Premier 11. I have a pair of Electro harmonix 6cg7 and a pair of Gold lion 5751. They sounded very hard to me. The music had a brightness I couldn't stand. I gave the tubes about 25 hours of listening before I removed them and put the old ones back. I do like sound of the cryoed Kt120s. I went back to so old RCA 5751s and GE 6cg7 that are well used. I my buy so NOS non cyroed tubes to replace the current one.

rlw3
09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Do tube testers work in terms of indicating freshness? i believe most testers simply tell you if the tube is good?

Myles B. Astor
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
RCA or Raytheon?

I haven't had them in awhile but I seem to remember RCA. But I might be mistaken.

Ian Millar
07-29-2013, 02:57 AM
"Cryo" is for wooly mammoths.

As for the phase splitters (e.g. 6CG7 set in a Premier Eight) it doesn't matter so much what brand you prefer. The AC balance trimmer (the pot across the non-inverting side plate resistors) needs to be adjusted - else you will likely have high distortion from asymmtrical waveforms presenting to either side of the output stage. You might luck onto a balance with a particular set of valves, but that could be lost just by swapped them left to right.

With an oscilloscope, a tone generator, a dummy load and a DMM, adjustment of the trimmer is simple.

You could stick in the most esoteric platinum matched cryo angel dusted set in the world, but if you don't adjust the trimmer, you might as well have used Electro Harmonix or Chinese.