PDA

View Full Version : Kt120 substitution into pr 12 amps.

rlw3
09-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Have any of you especially pr 12 owners done this mod? What changes were you hoping for and what did you get? Any extra heat or wear issues? Thanks

ronenash
09-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I have not done this in the Pr12 but there are no compatibility problems and no excessive heat.
I found the KT120 to be better in many ways in my LP125se. There is a lot of information on this in other threads.

Hatzudokiseizo
09-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Have any of you especially pr 12 owners done this mod? What changes were you hoping for and what did you get? Any extra heat or wear issues? Thanks

Hello rw...
Due to the heat dissipation, it is not such a problem..I myself would not introduce into my Premier 12 such tubes KT120 because they have a different measuring technical picture. I'd rather stick with my current Tungsol 6550 Reissue inside ..:music:

Greets Chris

turntable
09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello rw...
Due to the heat dissipation, it is not such a problem..I myself would not introduce into my Premier 12 such tubes KT120 because they have a different measuring technical picture. I'd rather stick with my current Tungsol 6550 Reissue inside ..:music:

Greets Chris

The Tungsol 6550 reissue is a great tube. More detailed, transparent and faster than the KT120. The KT120 has a more effortless grander presenation and does sound a bit more powerful.

I have the Tung Sols in my prem 8a's atm.

cheers

rthomeint
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
I love the KT120's in my Premier 11 the only downside is the tube cage won't fit if you use it. I have try any recent vintage 6550s lately. Maybe one day.

turntable
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
The Tung Sol 6550 is current production and cheap.

the prem 11, 12 and 8a's look so much better without the cages - leave it off:yes::thumbsup:

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 03:43 AM
The Tung Sol 6550 is current production and cheap.

the prem 11, 12 and 8a's look so much better without the cages - leave it off:yes::thumbsup:

That's right those are the Tung Sol to buy good cheap! The Svetlanas Winged C are expensiveat the Moment 15-20%:tears:. My Premier 8A have are these Tubes equipped. The Sound ist Superb,Accuracy and much Airness.I love Them... The Tubes Tungsoll 6550 have in MV75 and is Wonderfull Dynamics,Highs and Bass...
II will still buy such tubes as a substitute and camps:D
Oh Turntable; I run the Premier 8A and 12 cover Without grid. The Eye would be spoiled:D:D......I so much Nice or?

Greets Chris

turntable
09-12-2012, 05:05 AM
That's right those are the Tung Sol to buy good cheap! The Svetlanas Winged C are expensiveat the Moment 15-20%:tears:. My Premier 8A have are these Tubes equipped. The Sound ist Superb,Accuracy and much Airness.I love Them... The Tubes Tungsoll 6550 have in MV75 and is Wonderfull Dynamics,Highs and Bass...
II will still buy such tubes as a substitute and camps:D
Oh Turntable; I run the Premier 8A and 12 cover Without grid. The Eye would be spoiled:D:D......I so much Nice or?

Greets Chris

:thumbsup:

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM
:thumbsup:

Hello Turntable,
What did you do with your Premier 8A for tube types as experience?

Greets Sounding:thumbsup: Chris

turntable
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Hello Turntable,
What did you do with your Premier 8A for tube types as experience?

Greets Sounding:thumbsup: Chris

Hi Chris

The output tubes I have used with my prem8a have be the
winged C of course - neultral that does nothing wrong and lots right
Svetlana kt88 - lumpy, fat bottom and spitty treble
GE 6550's - only a very old used set so hard to comment - seemed brighter in the top end compared to winged C
New production Tung Sol 6550 and Tung Sol KT120. Probably at the moment prefer the ts6550 due to its speed, transparency ,inner shading and tight bass.

Input tubes - currently GE Jan 5751 and EI 6FQ7. I do have a set of Mazda 6CG7 that I have not tried yet.

And yourself?

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Hi Chris

The output tubes I have used with my prem8a have be the
winged C of course - neultral that does nothing wrong and lots right
Svetlana kt88 - lumpy, fat bottom and spitty treble
GE 6550's - only a very old used set so hard to comment - seemed brighter in the top end compared to winged C
New production Tung Sol 6550 and Tung Sol KT120. Probably at the moment prefer the ts6550 due to its speed, transparency ,inner shading and tight bass.

Input tubes - currently GE Jan 5751 and EI 6FQ7. I do have a set of Mazda 6CG7 that I have not tried yet.

And yourself?

In My Premier 8A are the Svetlana Winged "C" off. The Sound is neutral,transparent almost as the General Electric 6550A:thumbsup: The Old Stock GE is too Expensive:tears: So for comparison with the SED Winged "C" they are not to price Tungsol 6550...
the Tungsol at the moment is the best alternative in price and performance the best.
My IMHO to Tungsol: Superb in High,Bass and Transparence...
GE JAN 5751me are in the treble too bright.Therefore i have the Phillips JAN 5751 is Sweet and Pleasant.
The EI 6FQ7 is mechanically almost identical to Telefunken and not my Taste.give to each his own:thumbsup:
I have the RCA 6FQ7 Top-Clear and is Perfect for the Premier 8A.Extrem Accurately in Timberness.One Wonderfully Tube for the Ears.
The Sovtek 6FQ7 to me in a Tone to Hard.This Tube is better for Heavy and Rock Style.
The Westinghouse 6FQ7 is identical the General Electric 100% Brandet!Sounds so:D:D

turntable
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
In My Premier 8A are the Svetlana Winged "C" off. The Sound is neutral,transparent almost as the General Electric 6550A:thumbsup: The Old Stock GE is too Expensive:tears: So for comparison with the SED Winged "C" they are not to price Tungsol 6550...
the Tungsol at the moment is the best alternative in price and performance the best.
My IMHO to Tungsol: Superb in High,Bass and Transparence...
GE JAN 5751me are in the treble too bright.Therefore i have the Phillips JAN 5751 is Sweet and Pleasant.
The EI 6FQ7 is mechanically almost identical to Telefunken and not my Taste.give to each his own:thumbsup:
I have the RCA 6FQ7 Top-Clear and is Perfect for the Premier 8A.Extrem Accurately in Timberness.One Wonderfully Tube for the Ears.
The Sovtek 6FQ7 to me in a Tone to Hard.This Tube is better for Heavy and Rock Style.
The Westinghouse 6FQ7 is identical the General Electric 100% Brandet!Sounds so:D:D

Great tganks. Looks like we are in agreement on the output tubes.:thumbsup:

Funny, there is you, myself and Joe that own the tung sol reissue 6550's and we all agree on the superb sonics. More cj owners should perhaps ignore some of the hype about the kt120's and try the tung sols 6550's. I believe they would be pleasantly surprised:yes:

Cheers

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 10:56 AM
More cj owners should perhaps ignore some of the hype about the kt120's and try the tung sols 6550's. I believe they would be pleasantly surprised:yes:

Each ear just sounds different! Well:D:D:D:D
With 6550 tubes have been more choice for experimenting so very interesting!
With the KT 120 in the moment not because there is only 1 type of...

Greets;)

Joe Appierto
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Funny, there is you, myself and Joe that own the tung sol reissue 6550's and we all agree on the superb sonics. More cj owners should perhaps ignore some of the hype about the kt120's and try the tung sols 6550's. I believe they would be pleasantly surprised:yes:

Cheers

I can hear why so many like the KT120s, for the reasons you posted earlier, Shane. Right now I have a little over 500 hours on the Premier 140 and the KT120s are sounding awfully nice paired with an Amperex PW 6922 in the 140 and some 1963 vintage Amperex 6DJ8s (Holland, small O-ring getter) that have been branded HP (Hewlett Packard) in the 16LS2. This is probably the best they've sounded, even more so than with the Lorenz PCC88s (a favoirite) and TFKs PCC8s in the 16LS2. The German made small signal tubes are probably more tonally accurate/neutral, but the Amperex seem to bring out the very best in the KT120s to my ears, at least.

I'll be putting in some of the reissue T-S 6550s next which should make things a little fleeter of foot and more see-through but I haven't tried them since the new caps were put in the 140. Should be interesting to hear how it all comes together. :scratch2:

turntable
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I can hear why so many like the KT120s, for the reasons you posted earlier, Shane. Right now I have a little over 500 hours on the Premier 140 and the KT120s are sounding awfully nice paired with an Amperex PW 6922 in the 140 and some 1963 vintage Amperex 6DJ8s (Holland, small O-ring getter) that have been branded HP (Hewlett Packard) in the 16LS2. This is probably the best they've sounded, even more so than with the Lorenz PCC88s (a favoirite) and TFKs PCC8s in the 16LS2. The German made small signal tubes are probably more tonally accurate/neutral, but the Amperex seem to bring out the very best in the KT120s to my ears, at least.

I'll be putting in some of the reissue T-S 6550s next which should make things a little fleeter of foot and more see-through but I haven't tried them since the new caps were put in the 140. Should be interesting to hear how it all comes together. :scratch2:

Joe, you certainly have more fun listening to come:thumbsup:

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

In my Premier 16LS MkII are the JAN Sylvania 6922 indoors...what it says is probably Amperex phillips inside. The Amperex is also an Fine Tube for the 16LS:thumbsup:
Telefunken what you see is not necessarily Telefunken indoors:D:D

Joe Appierto
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
In my Premier 16LS MkII are the JAN Sylvania 6922 indoors...what it says is probably Amperex phillips inside. The Amperex is also an Fine Tube for the 16LS:thumbsup:
Telefunken what you see is not necessarily Telefunken indoors:D:D

That's true. Some Telefunkens, the PCC88 for example, are actually made by Siemens. I have some of both of those types. Then there are the out-and-out fake Telefunkens. Hopefully, I don't have any of that last type. :)

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
That's true. Some Telefunkens, the PCC88 for example, are actually made by Siemens. I have some of both of those types. Then there are the out-and-out fake Telefunkens. Hopefully, I don't have any of that last type. :)

So I do not use this tube Telefunken brand. I doubt many that Siemens ever made ​​himself, tubes, Siemens was and is, known to be a major trading house with an attached garage ... ;-) - but, strictly speaking, Siemens had even a year! considerable tube production in Munich. Many of the best special types of e.g. the Exx (x) CC series came from Siemens, and were also a ton of as Valvo, TFK, Lawrence etc, sold

Also the best Tubes and Original is Phillips...

Greets Chris

Joe Appierto
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes, the Telefunken PCC88 -- also known as the 7DJ8 which is a 7 volt version of the 6DJ8, were made by both Telefunken itself and also by Siemens for Telefunken. You can see the Munich designation of the ≠ symbol on the ones made by Siemens. The Siemens also don't have the Telefunken diamond <> on the bottom of the tube. In the picture below, the tube on the left is made by Siemens while the one on the right is actually made by Telefunken. Both sound very nice, although a bit different.

http://xbb.xanga.com/fa4f8a1504c33282028582/o224777613.jpg

Hatzudokiseizo
09-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, the Telefunken PCC88 -- also known as the 7DJ8 which is a 7 volt version of the 6DJ8, were made by both Telefunken itself and also by Siemens for Telefunken. You can see the Munich designation of the ≠ symbol on the ones made by Siemens. The Siemens also don't have the Telefunken diamond <> on the bottom of the tube. In the picture below, the tube on the left is made by Siemens while the one on the right is actually made by Telefunken. Both sound very nice, although a bit different.

http://xbb.xanga.com/fa4f8a1504c33282028582/o224777613.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D

Littlebunny
09-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for this thread, guys. I have a MV60SE coming in, so this info is of great interest.

Hatzudokiseizo
09-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for this thread, guys. I have a MV60SE coming in, so this info is of great interest.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Littlebunny
09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
:naughty:

ronenash
09-13-2012, 11:05 PM

Great amp, I am sure you will love it.

Littlebunny
09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks!

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Hello rw...

Greets Chris

There are virtually no issues with installing KT-120s in a Premier 12. The C-J factory is of the view that the KT-120 that is the best performing 6550-type power tube on the market, and they make no bones about it.

Puma Cat
09-14-2012, 01:20 AM

Cheers

and

More cj owners should perhaps ignore some of the hype about the kt120's and try the tung sols 6550's. I believe they would be pleasantly surprised:yes:

Each ear just sounds different! Well:D:D:D:D
With 6550 tubes have been more choice for experimenting so very interesting!
With the KT 120 in the moment not because there is only 1 type of...

Greets;)

I have to respectfully disagree with you guys but I acknowledge that which tube sounds best is also higly circuit topology dependent. In my LP70S, the KT-120 is superior in pretty much all aspects to a 6550...so, I don't think that what people are saying about them is hyperbole. I, for one, ain't goin' back. Plus, they should be more durable than a 6550.

By the way, some input for you guys on input driver tubes. Joe, I am running Ediswan 6922s in my LP70S and they are quite lovely, and Shane, you really should try that Mazda 6CG7 in your Premier 8 monos. I used those in my Premier 11A when I had it, along with the GE JAN 5751.

Joe, I am using a mix of orange-label NOS Amperex 7308s and Genalex Gold Lion 6922s in my Premier 17LS.

turntable
09-14-2012, 02:25 AM
and

I have to respectfully disagree with you guys but I acknowledge that which tube sounds best is also higly circuit topology dependent. In my LP70S, the KT-120 is superior in pretty much all aspects to a 6550...so, I don't think that what people are saying about them is hyperbole. I, for one, ain't goin' back. Plus, they should be more durable than a 6550.

By the way, some input for you guys on input driver tubes. Joe, I am running Ediswan 6922s in my LP70S and they are quite lovely, and Shane, you really should try that Mazda 6CG7 in your Premier 8 monos. I used those in my Premier 11A when I had it, along with the GE JAN 5751.

Joe, I am using a mix of orange-label NOS Amperex 7308s and Genalex Gold Lion 6922s in my Premier 17LS.

Hi Stephen

Have you listened to the current production Tung Sol 6550's?
If not I cannot see how you respectively can disagree :scratch2: If yes, that is all good as you have made the comparison.

I said to maybe ignore some of the KT120 hype, not all of it :D. 6550's do not all sound the same. The Tung Sols are very different to the winged C's.

Yea, I will put the Mazda 6CG7 in one day and see how they sound :yes:

Joe Appierto
09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
and

Hi Stephen,

I've never tried the Ediswan 6922 for some reason that escapes me, thank you for the recommendation. I'll order one and try it in the Pr. 140 as the input tube.

One drawback to the 16LS2 is the fact that you can't evenly load different tube types since there are three of them per channel. Do you find that the Genalex Gold Lion 6922s add some sparkle up top to the orange label Amperex 7308s? Also I was curious as to whether you've found a differernce if you go V1 Amperex, V2 Gold Lion (same for V3 and V4) versus V1 Gold Lion, V2 Amperex (ditto for V3 and V4)?

Thanks,

rlw3
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I love the KT120's in my Premier 11 the only downside is the tube cage won't fit if you use it. I have try any recent vintage 6550s lately. Maybe one day.

I use on each amp 2 ayre myrtlewood blocks in back and one on each side to lift the cage up a little. You cant see the blocks and the extra height with space at the bottom improves heat removal. My amps are right next to my rack where anything that falls would with my luck kill some tubes, so i like to use my cages also.

Marco1
02-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Stephen,

I've never tried the Ediswan 6922 for some reason that escapes me, thank you for the recommendation. I'll order one and try it in the Pr. 140 as the input tube.

One drawback to the 16LS2 is the fact that you can't evenly load different tube types since there are three of them per channel. Do you find that the Genalex Gold Lion 6922s add some sparkle up top to the orange label Amperex 7308s? Also I was curious as to whether you've found a differernce if you go V1 Amperex, V2 Gold Lion (same for V3 and V4) versus V1 Gold Lion, V2 Amperex (ditto for V3 and V4)?

Thanks,

Hello, new member here. Just happened to notice this thread and also interested in how the Gold Lions compare to Orange Globe. I have the 16LS2 as well. Just went back to EH after my Orange Globes expired. Thinking of trying the Gold Lions.

thanks, Mark

Marco1
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Back again Also have the 12's XS and looking for recommendations for the driver and input tubes.

Great site...glad I found it.

Thanks, Mark

Joe Appierto
02-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Hello, new member here. Just happened to notice this thread and also interested in how the Gold Lions compare to Orange Globe. I have the 16LS2 as well. Just went back to EH after my Orange Globes expired. Thinking of trying the Gold Lions.

thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I never did try the Orange Globe Amperex in my 16LS2 so I'm not sure how they'd compare. Generally speaking though, you'd never confuse the sound of an Amperex (any type or color) for one of the Russian tubes in this family. Of current production, I found I preferred the Gold Lion 6922's to the 6922EH but it's always system dependent and comes down to a matter of taste.

Regards,

Marco1
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Mark,

I never did try the Orange Globe Amperex in my 16LS2 so I'm not sure how they'd compare. Generally speaking though, you'd never confuse the sound of an Amperex (any type or color) for one of the Russian tubes in this family. Of current production, I found I preferred the Gold Lion 6922's to the 6922EH but it's always system dependent and comes down to a matter of taste.

Regards,

Thanks Joe. No question, you won't confuse the Russians with Amperex. The EH are just a spare set I have to use in the meantime. What also prompted the question was an Ebay ad I saw for Gold Lion tube replacement sets for CJ equip. Prices seemed pretty good as well. In addition to the Premier 16, they also had sets for the Premier 15 that I was considering.

I'd love to find some Amperex's for both pieces but finding good NOS anything these days is becoming too much for my wallet to bear. :no:

Joe Appierto
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks Joe. No question, you won't confuse the Russians with Amperex. The EH are just a spare set I have to use in the meantime. What also prompted the question was an Ebay ad I saw for Gold Lion tube replacement sets for CJ equip. Prices seemed pretty good as well. In addition to the Premier 16, they also had sets for the Premier 15 that I was considering.

I'd love to find some Amperex's for both pieces but finding good NOS anything these days is becoming too much for my wallet to bear. :no:

You're welcome, Mark. I took a look on Ebay and think I saw the set for the 16LS you're referring to. That does seem like a good price. You'd have to spend about twice that for NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 or 7308 both of which I thought sounded excellent in the 16LS2. If you could stretch your budget, the Telefunken PCC88 (made by Siemens) were outstanding in the same application, in my opinion. They're going for $65 apiece in the Gold grade which is what I'd got. Just a thought.

aldinohiend
02-25-2013, 02:07 AM
I've never used the KT 120 on Premier 140 but technical experts told me that probably will stay disappointed as the final, which is set for 6550, not heated properly resulting in hard sound and free of harmonics. Among other things, the 6550 Tung-Sol reissue for what they cost and how they sound, to me is the best between the valves of new production.
As regards the Premier 16, I suggest you avoid the ECC88/6DJ8, the PCC88/7DJ8, the 6N23P (including 6922 Genalex Gold Lion). Among the E88CC/6922, after having tried many, I suggest the Philips E88CC SQ gold pins. In my opinion, is the best valve for the Premier 16 and Premier 17.

Marco1
02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
You're welcome, Mark. I took a look on Ebay and think I saw the set for the 16LS you're referring to. That does seem like a good price. You'd have to spend about twice that for NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 or 7308 both of which I thought sounded excellent in the 16LS2. If you could stretch your budget, the Telefunken PCC88 (made by Siemens) were outstanding in the same application, in my opinion. They're going for $65 apiece in the Gold grade which is what I'd got. Just a thought.

I've never used the KT 120 on Premier 140 but technical experts told me that probably will stay disappointed as the final, which is set for 6550, not heated properly resulting in hard sound and free of harmonics. Among other things, the 6550 Tung-Sol reissue for what they cost and how they sound, to me is the best between the valves of new production.
As regards the Premier 16, I suggest you avoid the ECC88/6DJ8, the PCC88/7DJ8, the 6N23P (including 6922 Genalex Gold Lion). Among the E88CC/6922, after having tried many, I suggest the Philips E88CC SQ gold pins. In my opinion, is the best valve for the Premier 16 and Premier 17.

Thanks to you both.

Joe, I ran Siemens in a CT6 and prefered the Amperex. Thinking the PCC88 Tele's will probably be closer to the Siemens than Amperex. I assume you purchased them from Upscale who describes them as having "smooth highs that maintain extension without being bright, with great detail and texture in the mids". So maybe they do lean more in the Amperex direction. What do you think?

Aldinohiend, love to find some Philips in my price range. I've been through quite a few NOS tubes in various pieces of equipment as well and found it's always a crap shoot how long they will stay quiet. That's why I was questioning the new production tubes.

Joe Appierto
02-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks to you both.

Joe, I ran Siemens in a CT6 and prefered the Amperex. Thinking the PCC88 Tele's will probably be closer to the Siemens than Amperex. I assume you purchased them from Upscale who describes them as having "smooth highs that maintain extension without being bright, with great detail and texture in the mids". So maybe they do lean more in the Amperex direction. What do you think?

<Snip>

Mark,

The short answer is yes, in my opinion, they do lean more to the Amperex side of the continuum. I've tried Siemens 6DJ8, CCa, plain 6922, and 7308 tubes in my c-j gear and I've found them to be accurate, detailed and well-balanced across the frequency range. And I can see why they're so popular but for whatever reason, they always left me feeling a little uninvolved with the music.

TFK tubes in the 6DJ8/7DJ8/6922 groups had the virtues of the Siemens but seemed a little bit warmer to me and were my preference of the two brands.

Interestingly, in the applications I used them and to my ears, The TFK-branded PCC88/7DJ8 tubes made by Siemens that I got from Upscale sound more like TFK to me and I really liked them.

If you want to read more about what I thought of the TFK (Siemens) PCC88 versus "real" TFK PCC88 tubes, see the link below. It also includes a good number of photos.

Telefunken and Telefunken-Branded Siemens Tubes, Part 2 | JDA1951 on Xanga (http://jda1951.xanga.com/768655244/telefunken-and-telefunken-branded-siemens-tubes-part-2/)

Bottom line, I thought the TFK (Siemens) PCC88 were worth it. Hope this helps.

Marco1
02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Mark,

The short answer is yes, in my opinion, they do lean more to the Amperex side of the continuum. I've tried Siemens 6DJ8, CCa, plain 6922, and 7308 tubes in my c-j gear and I've found them to be accurate, detailed and well-balanced across the frequency range. And I can see why they're so popular but for whatever reason, they always left me feeling a little uninvolved with the music.

TFK tubes in the 6DJ8/7DJ8/6922 groups had the virtues of the Siemens but seemed a little bit warmer to me and were my preference of the two brands.

Interestingly, in the applications I used them and to my ears, The TFK-branded PCC88/7DJ8 tubes made by Siemens that I got from Upscale sound more like TFK to me and I really liked them.

If you want to read more about what I thought of the TFK (Siemens) PCC88 versus "real" TFK PCC88 tubes, see the link below. It also includes a good number of photos.

Telefunken and Telefunken-Branded Siemens Tubes, Part 2 | JDA1951 on Xanga (http://jda1951.xanga.com/768655244/telefunken-and-telefunken-branded-siemens-tubes-part-2/)

Bottom line, I thought the TFK (Siemens) PCC88 were worth it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link Joe. Very nice write-up. I just may try a set of the Tele's.

Regards, Mark