PDA

View Full Version : Amp for the 3.7's: 28B SST2 or MC601? Others?

4N6
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I am looking at upgrading the amplification for my 3.7's. I currently use the MC452 and notice that even this mighty amplifier is working hard with these speakers when playing loud or when the music has great dynamic swings. My preamp is the Mac C2300. I was considering the MC601's or the Bryston 28B SST2's. Anyone with experience with these amp/speaker combinations? Other powerful amps that have been found to be good matches? Thanks, my friends!

mraudio
08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Sanders MagTech amplifier would be my choice.

Magtech Amplifier (http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp)

mgard
08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
My room is not that large. I think around 18 foot by 20 foot with a cathedral ceiling. I also have two JL F110 subwoofers which really bumps up the low end. With my MC601 amps, even when I am feeling wild and crazy, I don't get much above 60 watts which for me is plenty loud. I am surprised the MC452 doesn't have enough power. You are no doubt using the 4 ohm taps on your MC452? Dumb question I know…

mgard
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Sanders MagTech amplifier would be my choice.

Magtech Amplifier (http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp)

Thanks for the link. Interesting design.

4N6
08-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the link. Interesting design.

Ditto. I have heard good things about this company. I'll have to give them a call.

The monoblocks look especially interesting. No worries about power with that amp.

Masterlu
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
The Bryston 28B SST^2 are absolute brutes that possess wonderful finesse. They are magical on my Futura's :music:

Mikado463
08-30-2012, 05:34 PM
not knowing of your budget but I am knowing of how well PASS amplification works with Maggies !!

Removed
08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Maggies are often paired up with Bryston.....may want to email James Tanner I think he has had a fair amount of time with Maggies......They are often showing together at show events too.....

Ian
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I am looking at upgrading the amplification for my 3.7's. I currently use the MC452 and notice that even this mighty amplifier is working hard with these speakers when playing loud or when the music has great dynamic swings. My preamp is the Mac C2300. I was considering the MC601's or the Bryston 28B SST2's. Anyone with experience with these amp/speaker combinations? Other powerful amps that have been found to be good matches? Thanks, my friends!

I am very surprised that your MC452 is having difficulty driving your 3.7s. I use MC601's to drive my front 20.7's and, like you, the MC452 to drive my rear 3.7's. It is very rare for the average power level of the MC452 channels to exceed 100 W. As I have mentioned in another post the MC601 uses the same printed circuit board as the MC452. The MC452 PCB is not fully populated with the On Semiconductor ThermalTrak transistors (has 5/6 th of them) and at the level of the PCBs is actually nominally 500 W per channel (if the MC601 is considered to be 600 W).

mbovaird
08-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Having owned those speakers, I would go with 601's or preferably 1.2kw's. They gobble up power like no other speaker I've ever owned (even more than my current speakers). The Bryston amps are excellent too....but unless your room is small, go for sheer power the 3.7's crave....go for the 1.2kw's. Ivan owns both....maybe he can advise you which is best for the 3.7's.

Ian
08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Having owned those speakers, I would go with 601's or preferably 1.2kw's. They gobble up power like no other speaker I've ever owned (even more than my current speakers). The Bryston amps are excellent too....but unless your room is small, go for sheer power the 3.7's crave....go for the 1.2kw's. Ivan owns both....maybe he can advise you which is best for the 3.7's.

You run the very real risk of blowing out the ribbons in the 3.7's at high current levels. The aluminum foil ribbons used in Maggies will melt at somewhat lower current densities than equivalent dimensioned copper ribbons (in part because of the higher conductivity of copper). The Maggies are very inefficient because of the low magnetic fields generated across the relatively large air gaps that the ribbons sit in. I measured around 0.1 T (Tesla) across my 20.7 air gap. A good cone speaker can have air gap fields above 1 T. The force (Lorentz force) which moves the ribbon is proportional to this magnetic field and is also proportional to the current flowing in the ribbon (or coil). I have blown ribbon speakers many times over the years by driving them with excessive currents. They are a real pain to repair.

mbovaird
08-31-2012, 12:14 AM
You run the very real risk of blowing out the ribbons in the 3.7's at high current levels. The aluminum foil ribbons used in Maggies will melt at somewhat lower current densities than equivalent dimensioned copper ribbons (in part because of the higher conductivity of copper). The Maggies are very inefficient because of the low magnetic fields generated across the relatively large air gaps that the ribbons sit in. I measured around 0.1 T (Tesla) across my 20.7 air gap. A good cone speaker can have air gap fields above 1 T. The force (Lorentz force) which moves the ribbon is proportional to this magnetic field and is also proportional to the current flowing in the ribbon (or coil). I have blown ribbon speakers many times over the years by driving them with excessive currents. They are a real pain to repair.

Just don't turn it up full blast! They require gobs of power to play to their potential IMO. Not loud - but more full if you will.

Maybe this will help.....from the Magnepan website:

How much power do I need?
We are asked this question every single day. We wish that we could be of more help, but individual tastes vary so greatly that a definitive answer is not possible. For example, we are using a 35 watt receiver in the lobby of our factory. Therefore, can we honestly say that 35 watts is all you need? Not really.
You can get a lot of free advice in the chat rooms on the internet. Most of it is of very little value (or misleading). Often, their power recommendations are influenced by their listening habits and room conditions. If they have a strong opinion of what you need for power, take it with a grain of salt.
For each increase of 3 db, the power must be doubled. So, 70 watts, 140 watts, 280 watts, etc. will progressively result in 3 db increases over the receiver we are using in our lobby. Personal tastes are "all over the map". We hear of customers that are perfectly happy with 25 watts and others using 1000 watts. Without the option of listening with you, we have no way to give meaningful advice. The most reliable way to answer this question for your particular needs is by visiting a dealer or arranging to hear a pair of Magneplanars. If you listen to your music at your normal volume, in a room that is approximately the same size as your room, with an amplifier similar to what you plan to use, an accurate power requirement can be determined for your listening habits. These is a lot to ask, but it is the only reliable method of determining the power needs for a specific individual.

jfray
08-31-2012, 12:16 AM
If you already have a McIntosh pre then I would stick with a McIntosh amp......:yes:

djwhog
08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
the 601's will do a real 800+ watts and burst to a 1000 the Bryston as Ivan has mentioned is a very nice and clean amp too.

djcxxx
08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Must be a rather large room a/o very high decibels because I would think that amp should be more than able to drive the 3.7s to reasonable listening levels. I run the 3.7s w/ an ARC VT200/Ref 3 combination and it is more than adequate for driving the 3.7s.

mbovaird
08-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Why not get some powerful tube amps like the McIntosh 2301's and add some warmth to the sound? There's a nice pair for sale here on AA. :)

E-Stat
08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Why not get some powerful tube amps like the McIntosh 2301's and add some warmth to the sound?
Ditto. The wonderful sounding pair I heard was driven by a Veloce LS-1 and 2301s. It had plenty of power to these ears.

Volks
08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
The MC601's will be able to drive the maggies 3.7 to insane listening lvl's........i had the maggie 12's hooked up to my 601's in order to break them in for my 2nd system and it was a walk in the park and the specs for the 3.7(86dB/500Hz /2.83v Impedance 4 Ohm) are the same as the Maggies 12's(86dB/500Hz /2.83v
Impedance 4 Ohm)........i also owned the MC452 and i am very very surprised that your looking for more in the wattage/current area...............the 452 can also power the 3.7's to normal to blasting lvl's......

rw@cn
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Here are a number of lower power but great sounding and decently priced alternatives:

Cary 200.2
Ayre V5xe
Rogue Medusa

The first two are excellent for listening around 80-90 db levels. I haven't heard the third yet but the reviews are outstanding.

4N6
09-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I had also considered the Ayre MK-R mono amps. Beautiful looking amps with some decent power.

Anyone try their Maggie's with these amps?

rw@cn
09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I think I am going to go with the unknown NewClear NC 1000. If I don't like it, I'll return and pay a 15% restocking fee (which I will try to get waived). Word of mouth reviews are outstanding. I am not stingy when it comes to audio equipment but $2600 is not a bad price. 500 watts into 8 ohms and 1000 watts into 4 ohms.

psyopwak
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Well you could go a different route...

Get a Musical Fidelity M6500i integrated amp. 500 watts per side at 8 ohm and dual mono configuration. A very powerful amp that is very musical. I adore this amp, but cannot afford it. If you like the MF, sell your MC preamp.

russell
10-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Buy 2 SX-1000 Monoblocks for $1199 Each - Total of $2398 and get 1140 watts into 4 ohms.

I personally own these amps and they drive my Magnepan 20.7's. They are smooth and powerful - no joke. I've heard many amps and these perform with the best I've heard, if not better. They are also quiet, cool, and small so you can put one behind each speaker and run a short speaker wire.

peacefulcargo
10-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I had also considered the Ayre MK-R mono amps. Beautiful looking amps with some decent power.

Anyone try their Maggie's with these amps?

I had MC501s on panels, moved to the Ayre MXRs, then moved to the Bryston 28s, sold the Brystons and re-bought the Ayre MXRs, they are smooth with detail, very linear through the sound range/field and coupled with the Ayre KXR increases those attributes even further.

Ritmo
10-15-2012, 06:16 AM
I had MC501s on panels, moved to the Ayre MXRs, then moved to the Bryston 28s, sold the Brystons and re-bought the Ayre MXRs, they are smooth with detail, very linear through the sound range/field and coupled with the Ayre KXR increases those attributes even further.

What was it about the Brystons that you didn't like?

Mike

peacefulcargo
10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
What was it about the Brystons that you didn't like?

Mike

I think they excelled at controlling bass and are very neutral but they did not engage me from a musical viewpoint for long periods of listening (my subjective view). I am glad for having had the experience of owning them, it showed me what great amps they are at what they do.

bzr
10-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I think they excelled at controlling bass and are very neutral but they did not engage me from a musical viewpoint for long periods of listening (my subjective view). I am glad for having had the experience of owning them, it showed me what great amps they are at what they do.

I'm interested to know what the "system" was in whole? What else were you running with it? Cables, cords, power etc. :music:

4N6
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
A lot of great choices being mentioned. I have done a lot of research on the Sanders Magtech mono amps and they look like a terrific match. I'll likely take them up on the 30 day trial to see how they work in my system. Also thinking of the MC601's as I do like the overall sound of my system, but just need a little more power.

bzr
10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
The Sanders Magtech with 3.7's is a match made in heaven!:music::music::thumbsup:

4N6
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Another amp to think about...the Parasound JC-1 monos. Likely enough power at 800w into 4 ohms. That, perhaps paired with their JC-2 preamp?

Anyone ever use their Maggie's with Parasound electronics?

mbovaird
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Although I've never heard that combination, I definitely like the sounds of it. I heard them in my house with Ayre, McIntosh, Classe', etc. That was the one combination I thought about...but never tried.

Here's another thought....Anthem M1's. I would want to find out their ability to handle complex ohm loads, but they could sound very good.

Here is some info: M1 Monaural Amplifier - Welcome to the New Official Anthem® Audio Video Website. (http://anthemav.com/products/anthem-statement/amplifier/m1-monaural/m1-monaural-amplifier)

This is a cool video. Love the cooling system! Anthem shows us the M1 Statement, a 1000 watt digital mono amplifier - YouTube

There was a pair for sale on AGon a couple of weeks ago for about $4k (for both).

Mark Powers here on AA has a pair and loves them on his difficult to drive Salon 2's.

If it was me...I would be talking to the folks at Anthem about this combo...just a thought.

Mike

joeinid
10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the video Mike!

Very cool. I'd love to hear them.

mbovaird
10-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Joe - I'm wondering if Ivan would create a "Recommended System area"...an area where Members could recommend systems within a certain budget. I was thinking about this the other day, and someone could have a killer system for $20K or less. A pair of used Salon 2's, used Anthem M1's, a used 2300 preamp and a Oppo-95/105 (for now). Throw in a VPI Traveler or something and wow.

There is an awful lot of collective intelligence on this site that goes to waste. Mixing and matching is one of the hardest things and many of us have had experiences (good and bad) that might be worth sharing....(suggests obviously since every application is difference)....

It could be a AA Membership Only type of area where we could base it on budget: $10K, $15K, $20K, etc.

Just saying...

Heck....we may even have an area like this and I don't even know it!

joeinid
10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Great idea!

I've been looking at the Anthem site. There's a dealer very close to me. I'll have to see if he has them set up. It looks like they did a lot of research on those little guys.

Cool!

peacefulcargo
10-19-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm interested to know what the "system" was in whole? What else were you running with it? Cables, cords, power etc. :music:

I fed the system with lossless audio into Wadia 27ix then into KXR, also used BP26 and 28s into ML Quests, also used McIntosh XRT1ks. I now use KXR/MXR into ML CLX. Cables were JPS Aluminata all the way through for Audio and for Computer Audio Locus Design Cynosure.

4N6
10-28-2012, 07:12 PM
All right, I made up my mind. Went for the MC601's. As I already have a full Mc system, so this seemed like the best choice. I also love the overall sound quality and only needed more power. This seemed like the best solution.

Now for the wait for them to arrive! :)

Bluemcintosh
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
All right, I made up my mind. Went for the MC601's. As I already have a full Mc system, so this seemed like the best choice. I also love the overall sound quality and only needed more power. This seemed like the best solution.

Congrats! I think you made the right choice . I sure love mine and you will enjoy your MC601's years to come.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Ritmo
10-28-2012, 10:30 PM

Congrats Kevin! :thumbsup:

Mike

chessman
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Big Congrats!! :thumbsup:

4N6
11-01-2012, 02:53 AM
I am really looking forward to the new amps. They should have plenty of power and I already know that the build quality, sound quality, and esthetics will be top notch. Now for some new interconnects and speaker cables! :D

Emil
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I think I am going to go with the unknown NewClear NC 1000. If I don't like it, I'll return and pay a 15% restocking fee (which I will try to get waived). Word of mouth reviews are outstanding. I am not stingy when it comes to audio equipment but $2600 is not a bad price. 500 watts into 8 ohms and 1000 watts into 4 ohms.

Curious to hear what your impressions are. Im also thinking of giivng it a go.

4N6
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
In regards to my purchase of the MC601's...I love them. So far they have fit the bill perfectly for the 3.7's. They have never run out of steam, look and sound great, and have been 100% reliable. One of my best audio purchases.

mgard
02-02-2013, 12:16 AM
In regards to my purchase of the MC601's...I love them. So far they have fit the bill perfectly for the 3.7's. They have never run out of steam, look and sound great, and have been 100% reliable. One of my best audio purchases.

Kevin,

I whole heartedly agree with you (I wonder why) :D You have a great system with the C2300, MC601's and the Maggie 3.7's. I bet they really sound good...hee hee hee. :music:

~Mike

Thanh-Binh
08-08-2021, 07:20 PM
I have Jeff Rowland model 625 ( First version ) connected with Magnepan 3.7i.
Sorry to be so late..I am just arrived few days in this forum.

Robert_Anderson
08-08-2021, 11:54 PM
I use Pass XA 100.5’s with my ARC Ref 6 for my 20.7’s, and they sound great.

timm
08-09-2021, 07:50 PM
I use Pass XA 100.5’s with my ARC Ref 6 for my 20.7’s, and they sound great.

Robert. I am looking at the xa100.5 w the 20.7. Can you embellish a bit on how they handle the 20s and volume levels ? What did they bring out of the 20 that your prior amp did not. Thx Tim

Robert_Anderson
08-09-2021, 08:23 PM
Pardon the terse response. Our internet at work up here in Greenland is painfully slow and hard to type.

I can give you an example – before I had Krell MCX-350 monoblocks running them, rated at almost 3 times the power. The Pass amps best them in every way, and sound more rich and powerful.

timm
08-09-2021, 08:50 PM
Pardon the terse response. Our internet at work up here in Greenland is painfully slow and hard to type.

I can give you an example – before I had Krell MCX-350 monoblocks running them, rated at almost 3 times the power. The Pass amps best them in every way, and sound more rich and powerful.

No worries. Thank you for the response. :)

Thanh-Binh
08-11-2021, 01:22 PM
I have Jeff Rowland Corus and Model 625 with Magnepan 3.7i.