PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Johnson ET250S Users/Lovers Please Check-In ...

joeinid
08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
I've been cooking and breaking in my CJ 350. I am coming to the realization that it really is a great amp and does so many things wonderfully. Of course this got me thinking about the only current (I think it's still current) non fully tubed CJ amp and would like to read your thoughts about its sound character. Do you still own one? Have you moved on to a fully tubed CJ amp? Have you gone onto other solid state amps instead? :scratch2:

Thanks!!!!

nz022
08-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I went from tubes all the way around to the lonely little CA200 and will never look back. Now it's turn on cd player, hold the mute button, and begin to enjoy music. As I get older I enjoy simplicity and yes the occasional nap in front of the music.

joeinid
08-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I went from tubes all the way around to the lonely little CA200 and will never look back. Now it's turn on cd player, hold the mute button, and begin to enjoy music. As I get older I enjoy simplicity and yes the occasional nap in front of the music.

:laughin:

:thankyouspin:

joeinid
08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
I've always wanted to try the GAT with the CA200. I loved the ET5 with it but should have held out. Hmmmm.

medward0
08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Have the ET250s right now and it is (almost) fully broken in after about a year of daily use.

Don't think I could go back to only SS. Haven't tried an all tube amp in my system, tho'.

What I like about the CJ amp is that it sounds very natural and relaxed with great detail. And, it has some muscle if you want to rock. Midrange is superb and the soundstaging is great.

My key measure is that I don't get tired of listening to it...very musical and relaxed, even with my vintage speakers.

Of course, the ET3SE pre also adds its own magic.

Oh, just can't not mention it: Sophia 3s arrive on Monday! :D

joeinid
08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Medwardo,

A huge congratulations on the Sophia. Please post a photo.

Briz Vegaas
08-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Congratulations on the Wilsons. I understand CJ uses big Wilson's for their listening tests.

I am told my Vivid B1's may arrive this week also, maybe! I'm not going to get my hopes up until the dealer has them out the back.

medward0
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
The S3's were delivered and installed on Monday and I am a happy camper. A few photos attached (still figuring out my cell phone camera, so the pics aren't great). Desert silver is the color.

Delivered along with the Sophias was some new Transparent MW Ultra speaker cable. Dealer set all this up and will be back to spike 'em in a few weeks.

All I can say is wow. :banana: Coherent, dynamic, engaging, musical...I could go on and on. No matter what I throw at them, they sound great.

Got about 24 hours on 'em so far and each day the speakers sound better and better.

Glad I'm off from work this week and can indulge many hours of listening.

Next project is to work on dressing all the cables (if I can tear myself out of my listening chair).

joeinid
08-30-2012, 04:19 PM
medwardo,

Congratulations! Perfect timing to be off from work, they look beautiful!

chessman
08-30-2012, 05:49 PM
medwardo, the setup looks great. I wish my S2's were S3's. :)

ronenash
08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Wonderful setup. The speakers seems a bit to close to the front wall. Did you try to play with speaker positioning?

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 01:19 AM
WOw!

medward0
09-01-2012, 03:10 PM
@ ronenash, I haven't tried moving them around much yet, but yea I think they're a bit close to the wall,

javedbk
06-22-2013, 06:04 AM
I got my ET250S with 400 hrs+ already on it and have run it for at least another 500 hrs. I love this amp. Could not get a CJ pre and so I've paired it with an ARC SP17.

Grasshopper
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
I got my ET250S with 400 hrs+ already on it and have run it for at least another 500 hrs. I love this amp. Could not get a CJ pre and so I've paired it with an ARC SP17.

I wanted to ask how you like your ARC SP17. I've been looking for a new preamp (mostly mcintosh tube stuff- c2300, c2200, c220), but an ARC SP17 has caught my eye and I am having a hard time finding much in the way of user feedback/reviews on how it sounds.