PDA

View Full Version : ART Vacuum-Tube Power Amplifier ...

joeinid
08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/ART_Amp_Front.jpg

Specifications:
Power:
ART Amplifier - 275 watts from 30 Hz to 15 KHz at no more than .5 % THD or IMD into 4 ohms (also available connected for 8 or 16 ohm loads)
ARTsa Amplifier – 140 watts per channel from 30 Hz to 15 KHz at no more than 1.5 % THD or IMD, both channels driven into 4 ohms (also available connected for 8 or 16 ohm loads)
Sensitivity: 1.8V to rated power Frequency Response (at 10 watts): 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- .25 dB
Frequency Response (at 10 watts): 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- .25 dB
Hum and Noise: 108 dB below rated power
Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
Tube Complement:
ART - 1 x M8080, 1 x 6N30P, 8 x KT120
ARTsa – 1 x 6189, 2 x 6N30P, 8 x KT120
Dimensions: 18.75D x 19W x 7.13H inches
Weight: ART - 83 Lbs.

Are we looking at 16 output power tubes total? What can I expect for tube life on these babies? How can I find the power consumption for a pair?

Volks
08-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Wow nice amp!:)

joeinid
08-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Wow nice amp!:)

That's just one mono block :yikes:

turntable
08-20-2012, 12:49 AM
yes Joe. 8 per channel - total of 16. same as my prem 8a's.

Around 1k each time to replace the output tubes only, double that if you buy cj tubes. 6550 tubes last about 2 - 3 years - forget the number of hours Lew quoted once. KT120's might last longer.

Power consumption - If you are spending the $$ buying a pair of the ART's - who cares!! :D

Or just get the Stereo unit - half as much tubes and one chassis

Volks
08-20-2012, 12:52 AM
That's just one mono block :yikes:

oh wow i did not realize they were mono blocs lol

joeinid
08-20-2012, 01:01 AM

Around 1k each time to replace the output tubes only, double that if you buy cj tubes. 6550 tubes last about 2 - 3 years - forget the number of hours Lew quoted once. KT120's might last longer.

Power consumption - If you are spending the $$ buying a pair of the ART's - who cares!! :D

Ha!

I care :yes:, a little. When you say 2-3 years, how many hours per day? 4K hours total? more 6K hours total?

I wonder how they would sound on my CR-1's?

:scratch2:

ronenash
08-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Joe,

Power consumption is around 800w! per mono block at idle. Can get to double that when playing music depending on the volume.

Tube price is a little lower than what turntable quoted. A KT120 pair can be had for ~$90. You will need 8 pairs for a both mono blocks ($720) plus a couple hundred dollars for the driver tubes. All together you can re-tube them for less than $1000 if not buying the tubes from CJ.

The power tubes should last 4000 hours without a problem.

ronenash
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
BTW, you can get the stereo version of the ART (ARTsa) with half the power and half the number of tubes. I think the 140w should be enough for your TAD's.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks ronenash,

I appreciate the info. I could probably get away with the ARTsa. I bet it would sound pretty nice. :)

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Thanks ronenash,

I appreciate the info. I could probably get away with the ARTsa. I bet it would sound pretty nice. :)

Ya think? ;)

ronenash
08-20-2012, 01:37 AM
I am sure it will :yes:

ronenash
08-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Glad to see you are back in the CJ camp. This is a warm and inviting home for you...

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 01:40 AM

Or just get the Stereo unit - half as much tubes and one chassis

KT-120s should last quite a bit longer than 6550s....they are much less "stressed" than 6550s at putting out the same power.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 01:43 AM
So, Joe, if you got a C-J tube amp, does that mean you'd be getting another GAT?

joeinid
08-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Glad to see you are back in the CJ camp. This is a warm and inviting home for you...

Thank you. I've been cranking my Pr.350 constantly the past week and it really sounds nice. I miss the GAT and am thinking what the heck, might be time to replace it. Maybe use the ART amp(s) for the more serious sessions and just keep the Pr 350 for the 12-16 hour music playing sessions and background.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 01:45 AM
So, Joe, if you got a C-J tube amp, does that mean you'd be getting another GAT?

Absafrigginlutely :thumbsup:

As Chris aka CD used to say in his tagline "Oh, the longest way 'round. Is the sweetest way home."

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Thank you. I've been cranking my Pr.350 constantly the past week and it really sounds nice. I miss the GAT and am thinking what the heck, might be time to replace it. Maybe use the ART amp(s) for the more serious sessions and just keep the Pr 350 for the 12-16 hour music playing sessions and background.

Well, that's one way to get the Pr350 fully run-in....

I've been listening to mine in the evenings and it really sounds nice. It sure is dynamic as all get-out, ain't it?

joeinid
08-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Well, that's one way to get the Pr350 fully run-in....

I've been listening to mine in the evenings and it really sounds nice. It sure is dynamic as all get-out, ain't it?

:yes: :D

VERY!!!

It's still ever so slightly forward for my taste, but it seems waaaaaay better than a few weeks ago. I have to say it runs pretty warm indeed. Muy caliente.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Yep, this amp goes to 11! :yes:

I'm still getting a hint of bite on certain instruments/recording, and perhaps some of the mid-burn-in-fog has returned, but I'm going to hang in there...at 228 hours right now.

I think we are both still a ways from the magic 500 hour mark. My CT-5 was the same way; one night it just went from sounding good to REALLY GOOD like flipping a switch, like it changed within a second. Darrin said his just completely changed at 500 hours, really opened up and not a trace of bite or harshness. His view was the the Pr350 was BETTER than the GAT, that's how good it was, and he would never sell his; it's a keeper. Granted, he's using Maggies; we'll see if he feels the same way once he gets his Magicos.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 02:13 AM
I can see how the Pr350 would be a great matchup for Maggies; they are rolled off a bit on top, and the "sparkle" from the Pr350 would probably be a great synergistic match for them. Plus the amp has all the muscle they would ever need.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 02:24 AM
This is a good way to describe it "I'm still getting a hint of bite on certain instruments/recording". I totally agree but I am going to hang in there as well. There are so many other great qualities it hard to stop listening.

I am without preamp at the moment. I am running my DAC2X into my Interocitor via XLR and out via RCA. The input is my Sonos playing music from my computer or streaming via the internet. The Sonos has a volume control so it's working very well. :)

turntable
08-20-2012, 02:30 AM
:yes: :D

VERY!!!

It's still ever so slightly forward for my taste, but it seems waaaaaay better than a few weeks ago. I have to say it runs pretty warm indeed. Muy caliente.

You won't get that at all with the tubes Joe :yes:

Please buy the ART monoblocks and I will buy them in a few months if/when you move onto something else :D:icon_beer:

joeinid
08-20-2012, 02:38 AM
You won't get that at all with the tubes Joe :yes:

Please buy the ART monoblocks and I will buy them in a few months if/when you move onto something else :D:icon_beer:

HaHaHa!

:laughin:

:moon: You guys, I see the buzzards already.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 02:39 AM
This is a good way to describe it "I'm still getting a hint of bite on certain instruments/recording". I totally agree but I am going to hang in there as well. There are so many other great qualities it hard to stop listening.

Yep...I don't about this in your system, but using mine with a tube preamp, I think the midrange of the Premier 350 is pretty special.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 02:50 AM

I am without preamp at the moment. I am running my DAC2X into my Interocitor via XLR and out via RCA. The input is my Sonos playing music from my computer or streaming via the internet. The Sonos has a volume control so it's working very well. :)

I find it's so recording dependent, I wonder if it isn't that the Pr350 just is so transparent that it's less forgiving of less than perfect recordings. I'm listening to an Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD24 of Lee Morgan's Candy, and Lee Morgan's trumpet sounds absolutely lovely, smooth and sweet without a hint of bite.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 03:14 AM
I find it's so recording dependent, I wonder if it isn't that the Pr350 just is so transparent that it's less forgiving of less than perfect recordings. I'm listening to an Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD24 of Lee Morgan's Candy, and Lee Morgan's trumpet sounds absolutely lovely, smooth and sweet without a hint of bite.

Stephen,

I have to believe this to be true, otherwise, EVERYTHING would sound that way. Some decent streams and almost all my cds sound great. Since I've been through a bunch of gear, I am starting to realize what I value in a system.

turntable
08-20-2012, 05:37 AM
HaHaHa!

:laughin:

:moon: You guys, I see the buzzards already.

:dunno::icon_jump::dunno::icon_jump::icon_jump:

rthomeint
08-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Has the Stereo ART gone into production yet I know it was scheduled to be in production by May. The Demo unit at CES sound good, but I'm want to here a production sample. Although I think I will have to travel to hear it.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
My dealer never mentioned I could not order the ARTsa, so I assume that it's a go.