PDA

View Full Version : MBL 120 vs. ML CLX Art

jrsystems
08-20-2012, 12:09 AM
I really like my CLXs. However I was quite smitten by an audition of the MBL 101e IIs. I also heard a brief demo of the MBL 120s. The 101s are only about $50k more than I could begin to consider! Therefore the 120s are what I could realistically contemplate.

Anyone have any experience with the 120s? Any idea how they might compare to the CLXs? -I figure this one is a long shot, but what the hay.

I am really intrigued by MBL speakers. I figure my Mac MC501s should be a good fit for the 120s and the JL f113 should cover the bass deficit, perhaps better matched then they are to the CLXs.

Is this something worth considering, or am I nuts? (or both?!?) :scratch2:

joeinid
08-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Are these the ones you are looking at?

I wonder how they sound?

http://www.i-fidelity.net/uploads/pics/mbl_120.jpg

ronenash
08-20-2012, 12:20 AM
They sure look futuristic.

jrsystems
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Those are them. I only had a short listen and I was quite impressed. I had an extended listen to the much bigger and 3X more expensive 101e Mk. II, which were absolutely sensational.

Would be a big move to replace the excellent CLX's, but I am really intrigued by the MBLs.

bart
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
JR, the Big MBL's are indeed sensational.
The smaller ones are really decent but a lateral move at the best for you.
I auditioned the SummitX and the smaller MBL's side by side and I preferred the Martin Logans. Both were excellent.

Still-One
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
JR, the Big MBL's are indeed sensational.
The smaller ones are really decent but a lateral move at the best for you.
I auditioned the SummitX and the smaller MBL's side by side and I preferred the Martin Logans. Both were excellent.
I kind of agree with Bart. Although the 120 stand mounts are great speakers they would not be up to the CLX's. Now if you move up the MBL line that is a different story altogether.

Jim

jrsystems
08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
That's a great help and kind of what I thought. Holding out for the big ones is the likely plan. Definitely something to shoot for.

Thanks guys!

Still-One
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
That's a great help and kind of what I thought. Holding out for the big ones is the likely plan. Definitely something to shoot for.

Thanks guys!
Subscribers can see some 111F's available in the Selling Forum. :D

http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2009/MBL-Amarra-450.jpg

Jim

ohthepain
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I recently heard the 120s in Stockholm. Unfortunately the room was extremely wide, which seemed to cut the sound stage off at the sides. The height of the sound stage was amazing. I listened to several songs and simply could not find fault with the sound. I have not listened to the larger models. If I had the right room, I would go for the 120s.