PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new ET3 SE

Littlebunny
08-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Well, it's been here for about 24 hrs. It cost me almost $7500 with the duty, shipping, and VAT collective nightmare. If I hadn't read all the excellent posts here about the break-in time I think I would have flung myself off of a tall building after hooking it up for the first time.

I think I hold the record on AA for the most 'el cheapo' system, and the ET3 has me thinking whether I'm just a low/mid-fi guy. What I mean is, when I first listened to it, I heard right away what a bonafide 'hi-end' component can sound like: holographic soundstage (awe-inspiring, really), high resolution, silky mids and highs. Yet, where was the rich, textured lower midrange and bass that the humble McIntosh has in spades? The ET3 sounded rather anaemic and dry, by comparison.

Certainly, with the ET3 hooked up it was like someone lifted a blanket off of the speakers. I can't believe the depth presented and the ability to 'see' so deeply into a recording. But, I kinda like the Mc sound which, I will admit, can't hold a candle to the detail and soundstaging of the ET3. I was actually running the McIntosh preamp through a tubed headphone amp to get some of that tube magic. My sister regarded that combination as 'magical'.

Anyway, I know it's early days yet. Oh, I'm finding that one moment the ET3 sounds warm and spacious, and then moments later it sounds bright and harsh. Really weird. And what's with that clickety, click volume control?!!

In summary, my first impression of the ET3 SE is one of respect, but not love.

joeinid
08-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Congratulations!

It will be a long ride, but enjoy it. One day it will be like, OMG! What just happened? It will sound awesome. The good thing about breaking in a preamp is you can leave it on 24x7 playing music without the amp being on. Have fun!

rlw3
08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
some changes take a while to grow on you. i have read you perceive more change in quality going downhill to lesser gear than going uphill to better. you can hear better early in the day also. so give it a while, let it break in and settle in, then listen to the et3 and then listen to your lesser piece of gear and tell us what you think

Rayooo
08-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, it's been here for about 24 hrs. It cost me almost $7500 with the duty, shipping, and VAT collective nightmare. If I hadn't read all the excellent posts here about the break-in time I think I would have flung myself off of a tall building after hooking it up for the first time.

I think I hold the record on AA for the most 'el cheapo' system, and the ET3 has me thinking whether I'm just a low/mid-fi guy. What I mean is, when I first listened to it, I heard right away what a bonafide 'hi-end' component can sound like: holographic soundstage (awe-inspiring, really), high resolution, silky mids and highs. Yet, where was the rich, textured lower midrange and bass that the humble McIntosh has in spades? The ET3 sounded rather anaemic and dry, by comparison.

Certainly, with the ET3 hooked up it was like someone lifted a blanket off of the speakers. I can't believe the depth presented and the ability to 'see' so deeply into a recording. But, I kinda like the Mc sound which, I will admit, can't hold a candle to the detail and soundstaging of the ET3. I was actually running the McIntosh preamp through a tubed headphone amp to get some of that tube magic. My sister regarded that combination as 'magical'.

Anyway, I know it's early days yet. Oh, I'm finding that one moment the ET3 sounds warm and spacious, and then moments later it sounds bright and harsh. Really weird. And what's with that clickety, click volume control?!!

Those relay clicks are what I consider now the equivalent of a '69 Z28 Camero with a 302 V8 with solid lifters :D Damn I liked the sound of that engine..and now I get to enjoy it once again in the comfort of my listening room! But as you, my initial reaction was... "are you kidding me? this can't possibly be correct".

..and I thought I'd Never in a million years admit it, but, I simply do, I've sat through 2 new CJ preamps and it's absolutely positively as you say. from day to day, hour to hour, things go from lovely to ugly...and it can take 100s of hours before lovely dominates things. :D

Littlebunny
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks very much for the encouragement! I'll definitely, be comparing when it breaks in!

Littlebunny
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
..and I thought I'd Never in a million years admit it, but, I simply do, I've sat through 2 new CJ preamps and it's absolutely positively as you say. from day to day, hour to hour, things go from lovely to ugly...and it can take 100s of hours before lovely dominates things. :D

Oh Gawd! :tears:

:D Okay, I'm going to ease up on those clicky things too.

ronenash
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Just leave it with music playing constantly for two weeks and will be over with most of the break in. You can turn your power amp on when you actually want to listen to music and turn the power amp off when you are not listening.

Don't worry, its will sound fabulous after two weeks of break in and will continue to improve slightly for month to come.

Puma Cat
08-08-2012, 02:11 PM

You're describing exactly the issues with burning in components with Teflon caps; I know it is hard to fathom at some level, but trust us that have been down this road...it WILL get better. A LOT better. You'll need a bare minimum of 300-500 hours on your ET3 SE for it to start to open up. And about 1000 for it to finish burning in completely. As Joe says, it's a long, and also bumpy, ride....but it will smooth out at the end. PATIENCE is key...I'm in the process of burning in my Premier 350 amp as i write this. I'm up to 162 hours as of last night (I'm logging the hours daily).

You could do as Ronenash suggests, and leave it on 24/7 for 2-3 weeks...that will get it there the fastest; you have to have music going through it from a source to burn it in, but you can leave your amp off when not listening.

Littlebunny
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'm doing as everyone has suggested and running the unit round the clock with a couple hours rest in-between. I promise not to freak-out and toss it out of the window. :bruce:

joeinid
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'm doing as everyone has suggested and running the unit round the clock with a couple hours rest in-between. I promise not to freak-out and toss it out of the window. :bruce:

Just let me know which window and when :naughty:

Puma Cat
08-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Just let me know which window and when :naughty:

Funny!

Still a fan of C-J, eh, Joe?

joeinid
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Funny!

Still a fan of C-J, eh, Joe?

It's in my blood. Maybe I'll just give the check back :dunno:

Toobs
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM

If you do freak out and toss it out the window, could you toss it all the way to Niagara Falls NY:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

joeinid
08-08-2012, 06:44 PM
If you do freak out and toss it out the window, could you toss it all the way to Niagara Falls NY:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

What? Not willing to travel like me?

You're out! :thumbsup:

Littlebunny
08-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Hahahaaaa, I hope you all got soft hands: the thing's got a tooob in there.

I think I've been making a mistake here. I was running an internet radio stream at 64kb/s that normally sounds great on the McIntosh. Not so hot on the CJ. I then played an iTunes downloaded song with tremendous bass. The bass sounded like mud on the CJ! Really muddled. I started to sweat now, thinking that my ancient Mc amp was giving up the Ghost, but no....

I put on a decent recording and I was blown away entirely. I think what's happening here is that the resolution of the CJ is so high compared to the Mc preamp that details that were apt to be glossed over with Mc won't happen with the CJ.

Hmmmm.

I might add that the CJ bass is starting to fill-out a bit more.

joeinid
08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Patience grasshopper ;)

Puma Cat
08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Hahahaaaa, I hope you all got soft hands: the thing's got a tooob in there.

I think I've been making a mistake here. I was running an internet radio stream at 64kb/s that normally sounds great on the McIntosh. Not so hot on the CJ. I then played an iTunes downloaded song with tremendous bass. The bass sounded like mud on the CJ! Really muddled. I started to sweat now, thinking that my ancient Mc amp was giving up the Ghost, but no....

I put on a decent recording and I was blown away entirely. I think what's happening here is that the resolution of the CJ is so high compared to the Mc preamp that details that were apt to be glossed over with Mc won't happen with the CJ.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Littlebunny
08-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Patience grasshopper ;)

Yes, sir! Padawan learner here.

Yup, Puma. I'm dissing my Mc preamp that I was worshipping just yesterday. Shameless me.

Ooo. Naturally, I had to open the case. I never see capacitors so big before. :o
That is, if those big white cylinders are capacitors. Hee. I'm soooo clueless.

Rayooo
08-09-2012, 12:22 AM

Yup, Puma. I'm dissing my Mc preamp that I was worshipping just yesterday. Shameless me.

Ooo. Naturally, I had to open the case. I never see capacitors so big before. :o

:D Yes, they are your friends...but it takes them awhile to "warm up" to humans. :D

Puma Cat
08-09-2012, 12:32 AM
:D Yes, they are your friends...but it takes them awhile to "warm up" to humans. :D

Boy, you can say that again...

Puma Cat
08-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Yes, those are the proprietary C-J Teflon caps; made for them to their specifications. I think C-J was the first to incorporate Teflon caps, IIRC.

You wanna see a lotta caps? Take a look inside my Premier 17...and there are no Teflon caps here, only polypros...

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Premier%2017-2.jpg

Littlebunny
08-09-2012, 02:20 PM
^^ Good grief! Talk about design differences: caps in the McIntosh preamp are of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny variety.

CJ caps look very intimidating and scary.

Oh, did anybody compare McIntosh preamps before settling down with CJ? Just curious. Sorry to be harping about McIntosh: it's the only thing I have to compare with. Thanks.

Rory

medward0
08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I've had my ETSE3 for about a year and I'd estimate that I have 500-600 hours play time on it, maybe a bit more.

And I have about the same play time (a bit less maybe) on the ET250s amp.

Finally, the system sounds consistently (mostly) great with music, but even now it seems to take a step back once in awhile. (Oh, and it definitely sounds better after it has warmed up an hour or so.)

But to get here, I've had to listen to what doesn't sound like great sound for a long time. Patience grasshopper, indeed. :yes:

I can't leave the equipment on all the time, so I've spent a lot of time watching TV with the sound through the CJ equipment. Even with the break-in issues, cable never sounded so good.

Puma Cat
08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
^^ Good grief! Talk about design differences: caps in the McIntosh preamp are of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny variety.

CJ caps look very intimidating and scary.

The Teflon caps would be even larger and more scary!!! Rawwwrrrr! (insert puma scream sound...) Just kidding...:D

Oh, did anybody compare McIntosh preamps before settling down with CJ? Just curious. Sorry to be harping about McIntosh: it's the only thing I have to compare with. Thanks.
Rory

Nope; went straight for C-J as they have been famous for over 30 years for their preamps.

Puma Cat
08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I've had my ETSE3 for about a year and I'd estimate that I have 500-600 hours play time on it, maybe a bit more.

And I have about the same play time (a bit less maybe) on the ET250s amp.

Finally, the system sounds consistently (mostly) great with music, but even now it seems to take a step back once in awhile. (Oh, and it definitely sounds better after it has warmed up an hour or so.)

But to get here, I've had to listen to what doesn't sound like great sound for a long time. Patience grasshopper, indeed. :yes:

I can't leave the equipment on all the time, so I've spent a lot of time watching TV with the sound through the CJ equipment. Even with the break-in issues, cable never sounded so good.

Yep, yep....I can relate.

Yep, after 500 hours or so, there will still continue to be improvements up to 1000 hours or so. I bought my CT-5 with 300 hours on it in Feb 2011; it didn't sound very good with 300 hours on it, which is why I think the original purchaser sold it (prematurely). It took to July for it to make a breakthrough, and then another big jump occured in the Oct/November time-frame. Like your experience, I would say it took the better part of 2011 for the CT-5 to start to sound consistently (very) good.

ronenash
08-09-2012, 11:28 PM
If the road looks long..... it is. But after 300 hours you can start to truly enjoy the music and forget about the burning in problems. You will hear jumps in sound coherence and stage size around 600 hours and then once more at 1000 hours.

That said, after 300 hours I am willing to bet it will sound better than most other preamps on the market.

Littlebunny
08-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Okay, this forum must hold the World Record for the most friendly and helpful members!! Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me through. I learn so much here.

I think this is good therapy: taking a '180' away from the 'instant gratification' society programming and being patient, like Joe says. That said, I can understand why people may give up after 300 or so hours.

I have decided to keep the McIntosh - for the radio. :D

joeinid
08-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Ha!

Rory,

I think audiophile and 'instant gratification' are mutually exclusive. Sadly. Welcome to the club. I've been through it so many times, it becomes part of the process. It almost pays to buy used. I have to say that first session after the break in is complete is simply wonderful, kind of like chasing that first high ;)

Littlebunny
08-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks, Joe. I had to adjust my subwoofer as BASS has arrived!!

joeinid
08-11-2012, 09:44 PM
That's great to hear. I'm breaking in some gear and having a roller coaster ride. Some days are awesome, some not so good. It's a tough job, but if it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger.

Rayooo
08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Just enlist the services of: Joe's Master Breaker Inner Service,
I've been enjoying pretty much instant gratification since yesterday. :D

joeinid
08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Just enlist the services of: Joe's Master Breaker Inner Service,
I've been enjoying pretty much instant gratification since yesterday. :D

Sure, rub it in. At least it went to a super nice guy!

Littlebunny
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Too busy to really be on the forum today but just wanted to post a 'mishap'.

I was changing volume today with the remote, and the unit locked up on me. The display changed into a series of dashes. Anyway, I unplugged it, replugged it, and it seems to alive again. Boy oh boy.

joeinid
08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I think you may have triggered a theater input "EPL". It will pass whatever is on those inputs unadulterated.

sandbites
08-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi littlebunny i too am on the crossroads to on whether i'll get e CJ or a Mcintosh tube preamp. Did you compare this CJ of yours to a MC tube or a solid state preamp? Ive been shamelessly fence-sitting on what pre-amp to get

Rayooo
08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Too busy to really be on the forum today but just wanted to post a 'mishap'.

I was changing volume today with the remote, and the unit locked up on me. The display changed into a series of dashes. Anyway, I unplugged it, replugged it, and it seems to alive again. Boy oh boy.

Those dashes pop up as the teflon caps pass break-in milestones. they'll pop up every 100 or so hours or so for first 10,000 hours, then on 500 hour intervals up through 233,000 hours at which point it's fully broken in. :D

...something tells me I'll be the only one laughing at my poor attempt at humor. :yes:

Or it could be what Joe said.

Puma Cat
08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Those dashes pop up as the teflon caps pass break-in milestones. they'll pop up every 100 or so hours or so for first 10,000 hours, then on 500 hour intervals up through 233,000 hours at which point it's fully broken in. :D

...something tells me I'll be the only one laughing at my poor attempt at humor. :yes:

Actually, I had a pretty good laugh at that one too.

joeinid
08-12-2012, 09:36 PM
That's funny, I never kept my gear long enough the see the dashes. Ha!

Myles B. Astor
08-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Or it could be what Joe said.

Good one! :bash:

Littlebunny
08-13-2012, 06:13 AM
:lmao:

You guys! I think we have to do a study on how many CJ customers go insane during the break-in period. I'm guessing 'a lot'... :rolleyes:

Well sandbites, at this very moment, the CJ isn't doing very well. :tears: But, of course, it hasn't broken-in yet. I think it's a conspiracy of some kind. :scratch2:

I'm sad to report that I've removed the CJ from my main system to have it break-in on its lonesome in another system: I've been getting complaints about the, ahem, new sound.

Anyway, the good news is that the CJ absolutely kills the McIntosh in its rendering of vocals (especially female vocals). However, the McIntosh has some kind of bass 'presence' and richness that the CJ doesn't have (as yet). The bad news is that this quality is quite addicting.

I've complicated matters by using a tube buffer with my solid-state McIntosh preamp. I stick a 'Little Dot MkII headphone/preamp' in between the Mc preamp and amp. Sacrilege, I know. This little experiment had the effect of rendering the rather flat McIntosh soundstage enormous, and in 3D. It's quite amazing. Right now, the CJ soundstage is flat and constricted by comparison.

Overall, the CJ is a bit warmer than the Mc. However, the Mc preamp sounds more relaxed and effortless. I feel a little 'uptight' with the CJ. Perhaps because of the CJ sounding slightly anaemic in the mid-bass. Note, though, that the CJ has moments of sounding fantastic: it is still breaking in.

If I've confused you completely, forgive me: I'm utterly confused. I'm rooting for the CJ to maul the McIntosh, but that hasn't happened as yet. I may add that I think I know why people live with Mc gear happily ever after: the robust, effortless Mc sound is tough to give up.

sandbites
08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info littlebunny. Looks like I'm gonna veer towards the tube MCintosh amps again..... Hmmmm decisions decision...

joeinid
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info littlebunny. Looks like I'm gonna veer towards the tube McIntosh amps again..... Hmmmm decisions decision...

You are going to get many different opinions, but the break in process is temporary. Once you pass that milestone, it's a beautiful thing and you will understand.

Littlebunny
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
^^ What he said.

Currently, 140+ hours on the ET3.

On a hunch I swapped out the ancient MC250 for a CJ MF80 amp that I got cheap to try out, (until I decide what amp I want to settle with) and I reinserted the ET3. In short, broken-in or no, I will be selling the Mc amp and the Mc preamp remains only as a tuner. :yes:

joeinid
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Very nice Rory,

You are ascending the ladder of knowledge quickly my friend. Enjoy.

Rayooo
08-14-2012, 05:09 PM
^^ What he said.

On a hunch I swapped out the ancient MC250 for a CJ MF80 amp that I got cheap to try out, (until I decide what amp I want to settle with) and I reinserted the ET3. In short, broken-in or no, I will be selling the Mc amp and the Mc preamp remains only as a tuner. :yes:

I would be utterly shocked if you ever regret this decision!

ronenash
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
^^ What he said.

Why am I not surprised? :D

Littlebunny
08-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Oh...my....goodness...%$#%$#%^!!!!!

I never inverted the phase on the subwoofer. :redface-oops-6:

Of course, I changed the phase on the sub remote during the 1812 Overture and I've been blasted into next week.

I'm so sorry I've been on a roll of 'idiot'. Many apologies. Thanks very much for the support. Oh, the soundstage is about a mile wide now. :hypnotize:

Sorry, sandbites. If you're still around: disregard my previous post dissing the ET3. It's awesome.

ronenash
08-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Of course, I changed the phase on the sub remote during the 1812 Overture and I've been blasted into next week.

I'm so sorry I've been on a roll of 'idiot'. Many apologies. Thanks very much for the support. Oh, the soundstage is about a mile wide now. :hypnotize:

Sorry, sandbites. If you're still around: disregard my previous post dissing the ET3. It's awesome.

I am sure of two things:
1) This has happened at least once to all of us - it sure happened more than once to me :D
2) The ET3 will continue to get better and it cooks those teflons.

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 07:13 AM

it's all part of the "fun".... :D

Littlebunny
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if the phono section can be added after the fact? I emailed CJ but received no response (bad). Oh, erm, I presume an ET3 can't be modded from 220V to 120V? Right?

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I've had several general emails to CJ go completely unanswered over the last year or so. I've given them the benefit of the doubt..as maybe I'm spam to them.

From looking inside an ET-3, I'd very much think the phono section could be added after the fact, even to the point of the owner doing it themselves if desired, but just my guess.

joeinid
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Emails from CJ can take a while, phone calls are best. I think the gear can be rewired, as long as the tech knows what he is doing.

CJ is old school regarding this new fangled email thing.

Littlebunny
08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Maybe they only respond to GAT owners? :p In any case, in these modern times, failure to respond to customer queries leaves a poor impression.

Thanks, Rayoo. I looked inside as well, but I didn't know what to look for. The unit certainly has a lot of space left over for something on the right (facing the front). Also, 'phono upgrade' isn't listed as an upgrade path for the ET3 on CJ's website.

Anyway, I hear CJ's phono stages can be quite good.

EDIT: Sorry, Joe, I missed your post. Oh, I see, an old fashioned company. I can understand those things, then.

Littlebunny
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Btw, Joe: I don't really look at sigs too much but, um, I noticed that there ain't no CJ gear in yours. Did you move on from CJ to what you've got now? Is there a thread with that story? Thanks.

Joe Appierto
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I've never received a response to the handful of e-mails I've sent to c-j over the years. Once you get someone (Ed) in customer service, it's another story and they're nothing but helpful.

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
I've never received a response to the handful of e-mails I've sent to c-j over the years. Once you get someone (Ed) in customer service, it's another story and they're nothing but helpful.

They really should consider removing that email address posted on their web site...but that's just me...'just sayin'

joeinid
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Btw, Joe: I don't really look at sigs too much but, um, I noticed that there ain't no CJ gear in yours. Did you move on from CJ to what you've got now? Is there a thread with that story? Thanks.

Ha!

Hi Rory,

I think it may be a temporary thing. I may be adding an amp back in my Sig. soon. I do miss my GAT and I am giving serious thought to replacing it. Gear can come and go, but the GAT really left an impression on me.

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I thought sure I had a pix somewhere with the phono stage installed.....in that open area of course. And I recall a couple jumpers which would appear to take the Aux/Phono input and route it to the phono pwa.. Still, I can't imagine they would not at the very least have a user send the unit back in for phono upgrade...but I've been wrong before, but only 50 times so far today. :D

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xUpEPpnRO-8/UCvnxst63MI/AAAAAAAAIZ4/qgF5uZguNeQ/s1117/RAY_2142.JPG

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Ha!

Hi Rory,

I think it may be a temporary thing. I may be adding an amp back in my Sig. soon. I do miss my GAT and I am giving serious thought to replacing it. Gear can come and go, but the GAT really left an impression on me.

I can't help you! :music::D:music::D:music:

joeinid
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I can't help you! :music::D:music::D:music:

Um, you can run but you can't hide :nono:

Rayooo
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Um, you can run but you can't hide :nono:

:paranoid:

Littlebunny
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks, Joe A.: I'll give 'em a call (long distance call = suck) when I start to get desperate.

Hi Rayoo: thank you for that very nice picture! I should really remember to do that when I open mine again. I really think that the phono should be an easy upgrade, but what do I know? On a side-note, I ordered a Gold Lion 6922 tube as a backup as well as an EAT tube damper. I have Joe to thank for that (again!) as I was lurking on one of his older posts. :D Oh, I was just about to write that CJ should remove the email address too.

Hi Joe!!

I thought it cool to see someone chasing the best sound, and keeping an open mind, rather than getting bogged down with one brand. Ya know? I can't comprehend how good a GAT can be. Frankly, I can't comprehend how the ET3 can sound better than it is now, yet I know that it still has a ways to go.

Rory

joeinid
08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Joe A.: I'll give 'em a call (long distance call = suck) when I start to get desperate.

Hi Rayoo: thank you for that very nice picture! I should really remember to do that when I open mine again. I really think that the phono should be an easy upgrade, but what do I know? On a side-note, I ordered a Gold Lion 6922 tube as a backup as well as an EAT tube damper. I have Joe to thank for that (again!) as I was lurking on one of his older posts. :D Oh, I was just about to write that CJ should remove the email address too.

Hi Joe!!

I thought it cool to see someone chasing the best sound, and keeping an open mind, rather than getting bogged down with one brand. Ya know? I can't comprehend how good a GAT can be. Frankly, I can't comprehend how the ET3 can sound better than it is now, yet I know that it still has a ways to go.

Rory

Thanks Rory!

If there is one brand that gets music right, it's Conrad Johnson. I think they will answer their email eventually. Ed is SUPERB on the phone and will help you with ultimate dedication. So hang in there.

Puma Cat
08-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Yes, it can be added after the fact.

ronenash
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if the phono section can be added after the fact? I emailed CJ but received no response (bad). Oh, erm, I presume an ET3 can't be modded from 220V to 120V? Right?

Yes, the phono section can always be added. Its as simple as adding the board in the designated area and soldering a few wires. You would need to contact your dealer to do that.
Voltage conversion is also very simple and requires re-soldering a couple of jumper on the main board. Again this should be done by a dealer but if you wish to do it yourself I can guide you through it. Its not complicated if you can handle a soldering iron.

Littlebunny
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks, guys: I missed your responses. I'm going to have to send the unit in to CJ for anything to be done as my soldering skills aren't pretty, and my dealer is half-way round the planet.

Also, I am rather concerned by a sort of veil or haze that has formed in the mid-band that I swear wasn't there before. Anybody know what this might be? Oh, what differences does an EAT tube make, if any, to the sound? Thanks!!!!!

Puma Cat
08-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks, guys: I missed your responses. I'm going to have to send the unit in to CJ for anything to be done as my soldering skills aren't pretty, and my dealer is half-way round the planet.

Also, I am rather concerned by a sort of veil or haze that has formed in the mid-band that I swear wasn't there before. Anybody know what this might be? Oh, what differences does an EAT tube make, if any, to the sound? Thanks!!!!!

That's part of the Teflon cap burn-in behavior....2 steps forward, one step back....hang in there. Joe Appierto just noticed the same thing with his recent Teflon cap upgrade of his Premier 140 amp.

Littlebunny
08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Oh wow, thanks so very much, Puma! I don't know about what kind of demographic buys CJ gear, but I hope they're of the wise, tolerant, and patient type. If not, then CJ might have a very big problem on its hands. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, I ordered an EAT tube to try. It should be here next week, so I'll report in what I find for any interested CJ 'bottom-feeder' folks.

ronenash
08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Patience is definitely needed but my experience tells me that this is the case with most audio components. Some though need more than others.
Would love to hear you impressions of the EAT tube.

Littlebunny
08-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll let ya know. I've read online that it's an improvement over the stock EH but the posters didn't follow-up with what that means exactly. We'll hear soon enough!

Puma Cat
08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll let ya know. I've read online that it's an improvement over the stock EH but the posters didn't follow-up with what that means exactly. We'll hear soon enough!

When it comes to 6922s, I like NOS Amperexes and Genalex Gold Lions

Joe Appierto
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM

+1 on both.

Puma Cat
08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
+1 on both.

Ha! Like C-J minded people think alike, Joe! :thumbsup:

Littlebunny
08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Thnx folks. I ordered Gold Lions from eBay but they'll take about a month to get here. The EAT should be here next week via FedEx.

joeinid
08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
+1 on both.

+2 on both.

Rayooo
08-18-2012, 02:45 PM

I just popped a set of Gold Lions in the GAT. The thing sounds quite wonderful with the stock set, but I figured I'd need a spare tube set anyway.

As I guess would have been expected, the Gold Lions arrived and I put'em right in...and they are staying right where they are. :D

joeinid
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I just popped a set of Gold Lions in the GAT. The thing sounds quite wonderful with the stock set, but I figured I'd need a spare tube set anyway.

As I guess would have been expected, the Gold Lions arrived and I put'em right in...and they are staying right where they are. :D

I knew you'd like them. For the money and availability, they are great.

Littlebunny
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Can CJ preamps sound a bit dry? I thought I was a bit crazy because it's been bugging me ever since the ET3 has been in the system; then I did a google search and discovered a few folks with a similar opinion. It's almost like something's missing in the lower midrange.

I put the McIntosh back in-line again to hear what's different. Yes, that richness is back but, of course, its detail and resolution plus soundstaging gets clobbered by the CJ. I'm hoping tube rolling helps somewhat, though I have doubts. The preamp has over 300 hrs on it so far.

Rayooo
08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Can CJ preamps sound a bit dry? I thought I was a bit crazy because it's been bugging me ever since the ET3 has been in the system; then I did a google search and discovered a few folks with a similar opinion. It's almost like something's missing in the lower midrange.

I put the McIntosh back in-line again to hear what's different. Yes, that richness is back but, of course, its detail and resolution plus soundstaging gets clobbered by the CJ. I'm hoping tube rolling helps somewhat, though I have doubts. The preamp has over 300 hrs on it so far.

Disclaimer: IMHO and YMMV:
Generally speaking, having experimented with a number of tubes in ET-3 and ET-5 ...the most tube-sounding tube, least dry sounding, was a NOS Mullard 6922. Fortunately it had a very minimal affect on detail and I'd have rated it as good or better in soundstaring. :yes:

Rayooo
08-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh and I'd love to hear what you think of a current EAT.

I'd never swear to it in a court of law, but I felt that my original EAT was absolutely superb sounding. Unfortunately if failed in a month or so. I've heard 2 newer EATs and I just felt they were not as good as my original. I guess I should not say not as good, as to some maybe the newer ones would be considered better. I personally just liked the old one best.

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 01:00 PM

No, C-J preamps are anything but dry....what you're heariing once again, is the Teflon caps not fully burned in. . Those folks with a similar opinion are also probably listening to C-J preamps without fully burned-in Teflon caps.

It takes 1000 hours to fully burn in those Teflon caps...there's a breakthrough at about 500-600 hours, and another around 1000 hours.

Littlebunny
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
LOL, thanks for the reminder, Puma. :D *sigh*

I'm going 'public' without his permission, but "THANK YOU" to Rayoo for offering to help me w.r.t. tube selection behind the scenes - using his tubes! Really amazing people here.

joeinid
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Rayoooo aka Ray, and Puma aka Stephen, go above and beyond to make sure we are sorted out on getting the max enjoyment of our gear.

Rayooo
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM

I'm going 'public' without his permission, but "THANK YOU" to Rayoo for offering to help me w.r.t. tube selection behind the scenes - using his tubes! Really amazing people here.

:D It's catchy around here, I've had so much help from folks...that ya can't help but want to pass it on. :D

Puma Cat
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM

No worries. Just remember not to make ANY generalizations about Teflon-capped C-J gear until you've got at least 500-600 hours or so on your gear. You will hear it when it makes a breakthrough.

rthomeint
08-21-2012, 12:41 AM

I've been where you are and the only cure is keep putting hours on the ET3. I have a wall calendar that I use keep track of the hours I have on my Met150. The roller coaster should end soon. Just hang in there. Your patience will be rewarded.

Littlebunny
08-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks, Rob. I've been beating the burn-in 'dead horse' theme for awhile now, much to everyone's chagrin.

:beatinghorse:

joeinid
08-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Rory,

Let it out. You are among friends. We all go through it, some of us ;) more times than we care to admit.

Littlebunny
08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
:cheers: Thanks, Joe.

Um, a Gold Lion tube is here, but the EAT tube damper isn't. Can I just plop in the tube without a tube damper (novice here)? Will anything explode?

Puma Cat
08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Sure. Nothing will explode. Honest. A tube damper is just to prevent any chance of resonances/vibration from making the tube microphonic. You can install the damper when you get it. Or, use the one that came with your ET3, if one came with it.

joeinid
08-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Sure. Nothing will explode. Honest. A tube damper is just to prevent any chance of resonances/vibration from making the tube microphonic. You can install the damper when you get it. Or, use the one that came with your ET3, if one came with it.

+1

Remember when the real tube damper arrives, take out the tube and put the damper on. Don't try and do it in the preamp.

Enjoy my friend. You are on your way :music:

Littlebunny
08-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Muchas gracias, Puma and Joe!!! I'll be diving into ET3 innards tonight! Yup, the EH tube in there has some orange rings on it. Thanks again!

joeinid
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Have fun!

Littlebunny
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks! If you see a puff of smoke on the horizon, you know what happened.

joeinid
08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
:eek2:

Littlebunny
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
OoooooohLaLa!! Gold Lion Puma Kitties purr so nicely! :music:

They ain't movin'.

Puma Cat
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Muchas gracias, Puma and Joe!!! I'll be diving into ET3 innards tonight! Yup, the EH tube in there has some orange rings on it. Thanks again!

You can just use those...you don't need a "fancy" EAT damper; they both work equally well. There's more than one design that can accomplish a function.

ronenash
08-29-2012, 12:38 AM
You can just use those...you don't need a "fancy" EAT damper; they both work equally well. There's more than one design that can accomplish a function.

Agreed. I haven't heard much difference with the EAT dampers.

joeinid
08-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Agreed. I haven't heard much difference with the EAT dampers.

I think the only real benefit may be keeping the tubes cooler, but I've never seen any thermal plots proving that.

Puma Cat
08-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Those preamp tubes don't run very hot, though, really...

joeinid
08-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Those preamp tubes don't run very hot, though, really...

I wasn't sure.

Littlebunny
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys: I am reusing the rubber O-ring dampers. The soundstage seems a little more indistinct with the Gold Lions. I wasn't aware that tube changes could alter that, and I don't think it's my imagination.

The sound is much richer, bass more taut and deeper. It's great, and the change wasn't subtle.

joeinid
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
They should settle down after 50+ hours. Give it a little time.

Littlebunny
08-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Cool!

Puma Cat
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep, Joe's right, tubes take about 50 hours to run in, and like Teflon caps, they don't get better gradually; it's one of those "Bang! Hey, they're better!" kinda things....

Littlebunny
08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Right, thanks: 50 hrs is a breeze for CJ owners. I am very happy with the GL sound as is.

Rayooo
08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Right, thanks: 50 hrs is a breeze for CJ owners. I am very happy with the GL sound as is.

:laughin:

joeinid
08-29-2012, 05:26 PM
:laughin:

He's already hooked, don't scare him :nono: Reel him in slow :D

Littlebunny
08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
:tears:

joeinid
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
:tears:

:hug:

ronenash
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM

How is the ET3SE coming by? I expect the GL 6922 is fully burned in by now.

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Hi!

I love the ET3! I'm guessing it's (almost) fully burned-in now after 550+ hrs. The Gold Lion fixed a little quibble I had with the ET3: a slight lack of richness in the lower midrange. The improvement wasn't subtle. The bass seems more powerful too. The Gold Lion still only has about 15 or so hours on it. Oh, it's quieter than the stock EH tube. I guess CJ knows what it's doing but the GL tube made a BIG positive difference.

I was having real problems deciding which amplifier to get to settle down with. The CJ MF-2200 isn't what I'd hoped it might be. Anyway, after much finger-gnawing it came down to Classé and BAT. I bought the BAT VK-220 and it'll be here in a couple weeks.

joeinid
09-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Congrats on the BAT VK-220 amp. I am eager to read your impressions Rory!

I am glad the GL tube is helping the ET3. Enjoy!

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks, Joe! I'll be sure to fill you in. I can't afford the one you were eyeing :D but I presume some characteristics may hold across the line.

joeinid
09-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks, Joe! I'll be sure to fill you in. I can't afford the one you were eyeing :D but I presume some characteristics may hold across the line.

I'm still just looking and lusting. I think the entire like has similar voicing so you should be happy. I did read, however, at least the amp I was looking at really needs to be run balanced.

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah, well, I'll be using RCA adapters as the CJ pre is now a fixture. :music: I'm going with my gut here based on descriptions of BAT sound that I've read. A friend tried his older CA-400 Classé in my system and it sounded awesome, to say the least. For his part, my friend was stunned by the CJ pre.

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Joe: it's 4am. You never sleep! :sheep:

joeinid
09-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Joe: it's 4am. You never sleep! :sheep:

The music sounds toooooooo good. :music:

Going with the gut is good, it has not failed me yet. BAT is excellent gear. I am happy for you.

Rayooo
09-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Hi!

I love the ET3! I'm guessing it's (almost) fully burned-in now after 550+ hrs. The Gold Lion fixed a little quibble I had with the ET3: a slight lack of richness in the lower midrange. The improvement wasn't subtle. The bass seems more powerful too. The Gold Lion still only has about 15 or so hours on it. Oh, it's quieter than the stock EH tube. I guess CJ knows what it's doing but the GL tube made a BIG positive difference.

I was having real problems deciding which amplifier to get to settle down with. The CJ MF-2200 isn't what I'd hoped it might be. Anyway, after much finger-gnawing it came down to Classé and BAT. I bought the BAT VK-220 and it'll be here in a couple weeks.

It's fantastic to hear the ET-3 is meeting your needs! :thumbsup::banana:

chessman
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi!

Congrats on the upcoming BAT amplifier. Be sure to check in when it arrives. :)

http://www.audioaficionado.org/general-audio-discussion/7970-bat-owners-roll-call.html

chessman
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm still just looking and lusting. I think the entire like has similar voicing so you should be happy. I did read, however, at least the amp I was looking at really needs to be run balanced.

I would second that. IMO BAT gear sounds much better when run with balanced cables. That said, I have never heard an ET3 SE paired with BAT and would love to hear Rory's assessment. (By the way, BAT itself says single end is fine with a good adapter).

joeinid
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Congrats on the upcoming BAT amplifier. Be sure to check in when it arrives. :)

http://www.audioaficionado.org/general-audio-discussion/7970-bat-owners-roll-call.html

This is very exciting Randy :thumbsup: The ranks are growing.

chessman
09-01-2012, 10:52 AM
This is very exciting Randy :thumbsup: The ranks are growing.

We are legion. :D:D:D

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the support, everybody!

Unfortunately, I cancelled the VK-220 order. :o But I then placed a VK-55 order instead. :rolleyes:

The order will take a week or two to ship, and then it takes another 2 for my freight-forwarder to get it to me. I'm guessing a month till delivery. *Sigh*

P.S. I think I'm now certifiably insane. :stars:

joeinid
09-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Unfortunately, I cancelled the VK-220 order. :o But I then placed a VK-55 order instead. :rolleyes:

The order will take a week or two to ship, and then it takes another 2 for my freight-forwarder to get it to me. I'm guessing a month till delivery. *Sigh*

Nah,

You are just one of us. Welcome to the club. Now that you know you have a problem, we can start there. :thumbsup:

VK-55 Huh, now we are talking....

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
...the "Bankruptcy Assured" club from where I'm standing! :tears: :D

I think it looks purrrdy with all the tubes lit up.

I have to change my sig. yet again.

Littlebunny
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Change of topic for a bit: can someone explain what the "friend request" thing is about? I was wondering if I was being rude by not sending a 'thank you' note or something. Clueless here.

joeinid
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Change of topic for a bit: can someone explain what the "friend request" thing is about? I was wondering if I was being rude by not sending a 'thank you' note or something. Clueless here.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to send an acknowledgement. I guess if you don't "accept", that could mean trouble :icon_thumbsdown:. Ha! It just means you are in "cool club" as my niece told me when I was inducted :D.

gdbose
09-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi,Joe,
Do you want upgrade to PASS LABS XS 150(or XS 300)? Cause you to sell your Burmester 911mk3 and own a PASS LABS XP-30 yet? I think the XS150 would be match your XP-30 and speaker,

joeinid
09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi,Joe,
Do you want upgrade to PASS LABS XS 150(or XS 300)? Cause you to sell your Burmester 911mk3 and own a PASS LABS XP-30 yet? I think the XS150 would be match your XP-30 and speaker,

Hi gdbose,

Welcome to the forum.

:welcome2.::pg2:

The Pass Labs amps are on the list. I have a few other things I'm thinking about.

Littlebunny
09-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Joe! Nice to be in the "cool club", even if I'm still on the fringe!

Ooh, I looked at some of the Pass Labs used stuff, but my 'gut' kicked-in.

joeinid
09-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Good or bad?

Littlebunny
09-08-2012, 10:16 PM
:tears: Expensive.

I must apologize to the BAT crowd: I didn't buy the vk-55 in the end. To my surprise, there is a BAT dealer where I live and he was kind enough to let me listen to a vk-60 with the ET3 SE through Zu speakers. Weirdly enough, I thought the BAT sounded a bit like a McIntosh amp (a really good McIntosh amp)!

I thought it sounded better played through a balanced BAT preamp. However, the sound didn't leave me wanting to abandon the CJ ship. Oh, those BAT tubes are hot like molten lava!

Ironically, the dealer (and some people in the room) seemed very impressed with the ET3.

Anyway, I saw a MV60SE sitting all unloved on eBay, and I bought that. It'll be here next week. If this turns out to be a dud, I'll cry here. :tears:

Oh, will someone here puhleeeeese let me know how many and what tubes I'm supposed to get for it? For the life of me I can't find this info for the SE version. Thanks, friends!

Rayooo
09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Congratulations on the MV60SE!! :banana: I was wondering how things were going in the Amp dept. for you.

I'm looking forward to hearing it works out with the ET-3SE/MV60SE Combo!

joeinid
09-08-2012, 10:50 PM
KT120's should be fine in the MV60SE as well but the cover may not fit.

"Then along came the MV60SE. The SE version uses the 6550 tube instead of the EL34. Perhaps C-J was responding to all of those fans who had love affairs with the Premier 11, which was discontinued when the standard MV60 premiered. Like the MV60SE, the Premier 11 also used a quartet of 6550 tubes. The 6550 output tube has always had a reputation for steadfast bass control and detail. The EL34 has the midrange. So now you have a choice."

SoundStage! "The Candy Store" Back-Issue Article (10/2003) (http://www.soundstage.com/candystore/candystore200310.htm)

www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/11278_eprint.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&ved=0CEwQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.conradjohnson.com%2FIt_just_s ounds_right%2F11278_eprint.pdf&ei=vQNMUNz2Gabm0QGgx4HwCQ&usg=AFQjCNH6G88rYbfkNC2A8VdxT_OggNZ4-w

http://www.audioaficionado.org/conrad-johnson/10188-does-anyone-have-any-thoughts-mv-60-non-se.html

Littlebunny
09-09-2012, 12:06 AM
:bowdown:

Thank you, Joe!!!! THANK YOU for the PM information as well!! I'm so excited I can roll tubes with the CJ! That didn't seem to be the case with the vk-55, though I could be wrong.

Thanks, Rayoo! I'll have a picture for everyone when it gets here. :D

joeinid
09-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Enjoy the ride my friend. I can see you are having fun and that's the point! I am glad to help. :)

CDLehner
09-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Just came across this post. What a coincidence; I bought a VK-220, not too long ago...and have it mated to my ET-3. I'm using only modest xlr>rca ICs...for the audition; and it's a very good combo.

In fact, I'm just in the beginning stages of a 3-amp shoot-out: C-J mf-2250a, BAT VK-220, and McCormack DNA-225. But so far, the ET-3/BAT combo is my favorite.

chessman
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
:tears: Expensive.

I must apologize to the BAT crowd: I didn't buy the vk-55 in the end. To my surprise, there is a BAT dealer where I live and he was kind enough to let me listen to a vk-60 with the ET3 SE through Zu speakers. Weirdly enough, I thought the BAT sounded a bit like a McIntosh amp (a really good McIntosh amp)!

I thought it sounded better played through a balanced BAT preamp. However, the sound didn't leave me wanting to abandon the CJ ship. Oh, those BAT tubes are hot like molten lava!

Ironically, the dealer (and some people in the room) seemed very impressed with the ET3.

Anyway, I saw a MV60SE sitting all unloved on eBay, and I bought that. It'll be here next week. If this turns out to be a dud, I'll cry here. :tears:

Oh, will someone here puhleeeeese let me know how many and what tubes I'm supposed to get for it? For the life of me I can't find this info for the SE version. Thanks, friends!

It's ok, we still love you. :)

As a big believer in system synergy, I am not surprised that the CJ gear sounds great together. Congrats on the new amp!

Littlebunny
09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, guys! The amp is in Puerto Rico and in-transit down to me after its long journey from CA. I ordered a spare set of KT120s (thanks Joe!) and Gold Lion 6550s.

joeinid
09-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks, guys! The amp is in Puerto Rico and in-transit down to me after its long journey from CA. I ordered a spare set of KT120s (thanks Joe!) and Gold Lion 6550s.

:banana:

Oh Boy! This is getting fun :thumbsup: Can't wait to read your thoughts :music:

metaltech2000
02-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Yes, the phono section can always be added. Its as simple as adding the board in the designated area and soldering a few wires. You would need to contact your dealer to do that.
Voltage conversion is also very simple and requires re-soldering a couple of jumper on the main board. Again this should be done by a dealer but if you wish to do it yourself I can guide you through it. Its not complicated if you can handle a soldering iron.

I would be very interested in the procedure for changing an ET3 SE from 110 to 240v. I am looking for a used unit and many more 110V come up than do 240. Do you think you may be able to help? Thanks

ronenash
02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
It's as simple as moving a wire from one pin to the other. You can call cj support and they will tell you how or send me a picture of the inside and I will guide you through it.

Masterlu
02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
metaltech2000... Welcome! :wave:

metaltech2000
02-10-2013, 03:54 AM
It's as simple as moving a wire from one pin to the other. You can call cj support and they will tell you how or send me a picture of the inside and I will guide you through it.

Thank you for your kind offer. I'm on the lookout for a prep now...

ronenash
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Glad to help. Good luck hunting one down.

turntable
02-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Interesting that I guy I know has sold his Shindo Monbrison preamp with MM/MC phono and buying the ET3SE as he much prefers the cj's sound.

cheers

ronenash
02-13-2013, 07:35 AM

jdandy
02-13-2013, 07:47 AM
metaltech2000.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

turntable
02-13-2013, 08:08 AM

If you listen to the Shindo fanbois, you would think it was one way traffic.:D

Krustykat
04-07-2013, 09:52 PM
A word of thanks to everyone - I just ran across this thread and it's been a great relief to me. I'm at about 150 hours into the break-in of my new c-j ET3-SE and I think my experiences are spot on with others in this thread. Initially, I was very disappointed when I installed it, the sound was so 2 dimensional and lifeless :( . It's now coming into its own and I'm very much enjoying the character of it's sound. It's still doesn't have quite the depth of soundstage that I got running directly from my disc player directly to the amp, but the tonality seems much more textured and layered. I am quite certain with the pace of break-in and if it continues like this for a couple hundred more hours, I'm going to have an exquisite preamp on my hands!

I"m running it at about a 22x7 pace for break-in and haven't noticed too much of the "two step forward one step back" , it all seems to be progressively better as I listen to it. I 'm counting the hours.....

ronenash
04-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I"m running it at about a 22x7 pace for break-in and haven't noticed too much of the "two step forward one step back" , it all seems to be progressively better as I listen to it. I 'm counting the hours.....

At this point it should start to get better gradually and you should not have steps back. You will need another 200 hours to get 90% of the break in over with and then you might or might not hear further improvements up to 800 hours.

Enjoy you ET3SE. Once you are at the 350 hour mark you will have a truly phenomenal preamp and will forget about the break in and just enjoy the music. :music:

Littlebunny
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
^ What he said.

I've been tube-swapping quite a bit. I like Matsushita tubes the most with the (hugely expensive) Miniwatt Dario next.

P.S. Maybe I can post a picture of the power supply at some point? I'd like someone to show me how to convert it from 240V to 120V. Thanks!!

watchdog
04-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Another ET3SE owner checking in here.

Like what has been reported here, there was a fairly long break-in time with most changes after about 200-300 hours.

It also seems quite sensitive to tubes. I had a stash of GL reissued 6922s that worked fine in other equipment, but 2 out of 3 were a bit too noisy for the ET3SE.

Despite all that, I absolutely love mine.

Anybody have luck with cones or footers ? I've tried a variety, and the stock rubber feet still sound better to me. Many changed the tonal balance or focus, and not always in a way that I liked.

medward0
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
@watchdog

Reading your comment here got me thinking about the Aurios Pro Max footers I have beneath my ET3SE: what would it sound like without them?

Well, taking them out resulted in a better soundstage (more precise and larger and extends out in front of the speakers) and less harshness in the treble. Who would've thought? I've been scratching my head about some harshness in the treble and looks like I've found one culprit.

So now the ET3SE sits on my Box Furniture rack nekkid.

Yea, getting quiet-enough tubes for this pre is difficult. My best results have come from buying the 6922 tubes direct from CJ or Audio Research.

But, yea, I love my pre too.

watchdog
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
@medwardo,

I happen to have a set of Aurios Classic and although they added definition and focus, they also added a harshness in the high frequencies that no amount of positioning could get rid off.

Other footers I tried unsuccessfully under the ET3SE include Cold Rays, Ansuz Darcz, Ceraball and the Cerabase.

jimtranr
05-15-2013, 05:41 PM
@medwardo,

I happen to have a set of Aurios Classic and although they added definition and focus, they also added a harshness in the high frequencies that no amount of positioning could get rid off.

Had the same experience here with Aurios Classics under my Premier 17LS. Replaced them with Stillpoints Ultra Minis. Now have better definition and focus...and a more liquid top end.

bgiliberti
02-12-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking of trading up from my Classic SE to the ET3SE, mainly to get a little more ooomph and bass extension, in which I feel the Classic SE is a bit shy. While it has been a vast improvement over my previous PV-7 in clarity and definition, and is overall a fine preamp, the PV-7 did the bass better. I think the power supply in the Classic may be just a bit less robust than in the PV-7 (and the PV-7, with that big ol' transformer, weighs about twice as much too.) Having read through this thread, a noticed that a few others have gone from the Classic SE to the ET3 or ET3SE. Can anyone comment on the difference in the sound quality between the Classic SE and the ET3SE? I'm not considering the ET3, as I want the Teflon. Also, I don't need the phono stage, as I am CD only.

ronenash
02-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I am not sure what the differences in the power supply are if any but one big advantage the et3 has is the relay based stepped volume control. The et3se adds top quality Vishay resistors to the volume control which takes things a couple of notches higher.

Forte 4A
12-29-2014, 11:11 PM
I just took home an ET3 SE for a home demo. The biggest problem I've had has been a rather noisy hiss coming from the speakers. So I'm reluctant to buy. When I give it back to the dealer tomorrow I'll see if the hiss is still there.:sigh:

bgiliberti
12-30-2014, 12:26 AM
I just took home an ET3 SE for a home demo. The biggest problem I've had has been a rather noisy hiss coming from the speakers. So I'm reluctant to buy. When I give it back to the dealer tomorrow I'll see if the hiss is still there.:sigh:
Can't speak specifically to the ET3 SE, but the ET-3 regular had a normal, slight tube rush, as does my CJ Classic SE. Can't really hear it more than a few feet away. But, just a question -- is there a separate tube for each channel in the ET-3? If so, I would think that a bad tube would hiss in one channel only. I surmise that you hear it on both. I don't know the circuit topology of the ET-3. I do know that they now use just one tube in the Classic SE, when they used to use 2, one per channel. Could be the same in the ET-3. They have tube diagrams on the CJ website.

ronenash
12-31-2014, 03:34 PM

What you are hearing is a bad tube. An ET3 SE with a good low noise tube is super quiet.

Forte 4A
01-01-2015, 01:19 PM
The dealer told me it was an impedance problem between my modified Threshold T-50's and the CJ. We hooked up the ET-3 at the store w/a Bryston 4B Amp, and a pair of Aerial 7T's. Dead quiet. Excellent sound.:music:

pkelly1504
01-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I have an ET3 SE also. It has a hiss on the right side which in my opinion is too loud & I find it bothersome. I replaced the tube 10 months ago with A Gold Lion Genalex tube. It helped a bit when 1st replaced but is now louder than ever. Any suggestions or should I look to replace the unit? An issue is the dimensions of The ET3 SE as it fits perfectly in my custom made cabinet.

ronenash
01-02-2015, 12:05 AM
The dealer told me it was an impedance problem between my modified Threshold T-50's and the CJ. We hooked up the ET-3 at the store w/a Bryston 4B Amp, and a pair of Aerial 7T's. Dead quiet. Excellent sound.:music:

I don't think the ET3 has an impedance problem as it can drive any power amp with ease. I am pretty sure you Threshold has a much higher gain than the Bryston and/or the speakers are more sensitive and thus you hear the noise more. Tube noise will not be effected by volume setting. The more sensitive your amp and speakers are the more pronounced the noise will be.

Using a good tube my ET3 did not show any noise even with high gain amps and high efficiency speakers.

ronenash
01-02-2015, 12:07 AM
I have an ET3 SE also. It has a hiss on the right side which in my opinion is too loud & I find it bothersome. I replaced the tube 10 months ago with A Gold Lion Genalex tube. It helped a bit when 1st replaced but is now louder than ever. Any suggestions or should I look to replace the unit? An issue is the dimensions of The ET3 SE as it fits perfectly in my custom made cabinet.

Try a 7dj8/pcc88 tube in the ET3. They will last longer. The Phillips PCC88 is great and not expensive.

bgiliberti
01-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Try a 7dj8/pcc88 tube in the ET3. They will last longer. The Phillips PCC88 is great and not expensive.

Any similar recommendations for alternates to the NOS Mullard 8080s that come with the Classic SE? I really like the sound and they are good tubes for sure, but it might be fun to experiment a bit, just to see.

pkelly1504
01-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the advise!

noeljs
01-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Hi all
I understand that with this pre amp we have to swap the speaker cables,
Will the sound differ if I leave it to the normal connections.
Why are CJ pre amp are phase inverts.

Thank You.