PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan 12

Volks
06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Today was hunting day for a new set of speakers.I had in mind a few diff brands/models EX: Anthony Gallo,ProAc, and Martin Logan.
I have heard all 3 brands and the models of each brand i was thinking about buying before,but today was the day i would pick a pair for my 2nd system.

After hours of shooting the breeze and listening sessions with my salesman with the 3 diff speakers i still could not decide ......so we took a coffee break and at that point he says to me "Why dont you try a pair of Maggies"?..........ive never truly listened to a pair of maggies before and replied to him .."Yeah,but Maggies are bright speakers......yes?"......he looked and smiled and we proceded into the Maggie room and for another 3 hours i listened to the Maggie 12's and LOVED what i heard.....wide soundstage/open/airy midrange and the Bass while not thundershaking in this model.....it was punchy/clean and well controlled for the size of the speaker.

30 minutes later and im loading my new Magneplanar 12's into my home:)......they are playing thru my Mcintosh Amps quite lively with Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here :) ..........i am so happy i decided to give Magnepan speakers a chance and destroy a stereotype i had about them....in another 100-200 hours they should really be opened up/broken in !:)

Masterlu
06-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Congrad's Michael... amazing how those window shopping expeditions turn out to be so much more.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Volks
06-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Congrad's Michael... amazing how those window shopping expeditions turn out to be so much more.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ivan:thumbsup: .....Melody Gardot is playing thru them now.....such a lively midrange.

LordoftheRingsEE
06-27-2012, 01:04 AM
---This is great Michael! ...You inspire me. :thumbsup:
I never heard Maggies before, not that I can recall.

bzr
06-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Congrats Michael, some great speakers there. Magnepan are coming out with some great sounding gear of late.

Volks
06-27-2012, 01:15 AM
---This is great Michael! ...You inspire me. :thumbsup:
I never heard Maggies before, not that I can recall.

I was the same way(never heard them before),but heard plenty about them....if you get the chance Bob give them a listen......The Magnepan 12's are going to be great for my 2nd system after i have them broken in on the Mac's.

Volks
06-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Congrats Michael, some great speakers there. Magnepan are coming out with some great sounding gear of late.

I agree with you there!..............they are a very lively speaker in the 1K range IMO.

Ian
06-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Michael welcome to the amazing sound of Magnepans!
Excellent choice :thumbsup:
Your McIntosh and Maggie system makes for a terrific combination :music:

Ritmo
06-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Congratulations Michael!

Mike

Rayooo
06-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Congratulations! fantastic choice :banana: I am a bit biased I must admit having owned Magnepans for the last 10+years. :yes:

audiot servant
06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
congrats Michael, great choice... Maggies are the speakers that love you back.

PS Don't worry, they aren't at all addictive... I just went and had a listen to a pair of 1.7s less than 18 months ago... ooops.

Volks
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
congrats Michael, great choice... Maggies are the speakers that love you back.

PS Don't worry, they aren't at all addictive... I just went and had a listen to a pair of 1.7s less than 18 months ago... ooops.

LOL i like that

tsv_1
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Congrats Michael! Great choice :thumbsup:

I run a pair of 12s in my second system as well.

Volks
06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Congrats Michael! Great choice :thumbsup:

I run a pair of 12s in my second system as well.

Thanks tsv_1:thumbsup:

mgard
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey Michael,

Another congratulations! I always read about Maggie's but never had a chance to listen to them. I started with the 1.7's then after about a year and a half jumped to the 3.7's. Of course it was the guys on this forum that pushed me over the edge. :yes:. You have put together one excellent system. Enjoy those new Maggie's and keep us updated on their progress. :music:

~Mike

Volks
06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Ive only had the Maggie 12's for 2 days now and have played them almost no-stop and i can already hear them opening up more......these are the most inefficient speakers i have ever owned 4 Ohms/86db's...........i have them hooked up to the 4 ohm taps and the 601's ...man oh man can easily pump so much power into these speakers......it makes me love my 601's even more ....such brutes,but with finesse :).....

william13
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a newbee question and I hope this is not considered to be a hijack of your thread. These Maggies seem great but from what I read they are best for mid-range and a little less so for the bass. I am considering getting a mc275vi just for its ability to give a better bass. Would the Maggie be able to show the better bass the VI offers?

ehoove
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
The Magnapans have nice bass, just not the driving type bass that some music requires. I run my MGIIIa's down to 48HZ then run a pair of NHT W2 Subs for the very bottom, and can play any type of music with amazing results. For Vocals, acoustic, and chamber music I run the Maggies full range and turn off the subs.
Regards,
Jim

ehoove
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Ive only had the Maggie 12's for 2 days now and have played them almost no-stop and i can already hear them opening up more......these are the most inefficient speakers i have ever owned 4 Ohms/86db's...........i have them hooked up to the 4 ohm taps and the 601's ...man oh man can easily pump so much power into these speakers......it makes me love my 601's even more ....such brutes,but with finesse :).....

Congrats on the MG12's!
Regards,
Jim

william13
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
The Magnapans have nice bass, just not the driving type bass that some music requires. I run my MGIIIa's down to 48HZ then run a pair of NHT W2 Subs for the very bottom, and can play any type of music with amazing results. For Vocals, acoustic, and chamber music I run the Maggies full range and turn off the subs.
Regards,
Jim

Thank you

McPlanar
09-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood of the flat. :thumbsup: I've been listening through Maggies since 1983. I can never go back to a box. Besides boxes are for shipping not making serious music IMHO. :D

gclpc
09-15-2012, 09:48 PM
A warning... Maggies are addictive, and it is sometimes hard to stop. Find a friend to act as your conscience when you get the urge to upgrade to 1.7s, then 3.7s...

Greg

Bluemcintosh
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Michael , Congrats ~! After I read your post I went out to looking some maggies so just want to make sure you did the right thing or not :whistle:. Never heard them before and I liked what I heard and you know what ? now I am the owner of maggies 1.7 myself as yesterday :yes:

Rayooo
10-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Michael , Congrats ~! After I read your post I went out to looking some maggies so just want to make sure you did the right thing or not :whistle:. Never heard them before and I liked what I heard and you know what ? now I am the owner of maggies 1.7 myself as yesterday :yes:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations!

Bluemcintosh
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations!

Thanks Rayooo... I haven't open the box yet and can't wait to go home ~:thumbsup:

chessman
10-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Wow, Paul, which system gets the Maggies? This is cool!

Bluemcintosh
10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow, Paul, which system gets the Maggies? This is cool!

Randy.. That's a good question~!. I haven't decide yet but will mate with both systems and see which I like better.

Which do you recommend better ? SS or Tube ? :scratch2:

Volks
10-21-2012, 01:00 AM

Awesome Paul!.............They have a sweet midrange/image when setup properly

They are power hungry........i use a Rega SS amp on them currently and in my space they sound great :thumbsup:

McPlanar
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the land of the flat!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkWwrwfSdP5RWPFKW1y1w40neREwqPj HR0X5pwKZ31oefHYn_k

Bluemcintosh
10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Welcome to the land of the flat!

Dale...Thank you :)

So far it sounds great and its different then what I used to.

But for the money it's heck of speakers.:music:

mgard
10-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Paul, congratulations from me too. You should have some fun trying them out with your two systems. There is a lot of good information here by others on step up and break in. I started with the 1.7's and was very happy with. Listening to Graham, Ray and others talk about their 3.7's drove me crazy. I moved up to 3.7's and they moved up to 20.7's. Thankfully those are out of my reach and my room is to small. I sure love my Maggie's :yes:

~Mike

audiot servant
10-23-2012, 03:30 AM

Maggie's... ever hear a pair that didn't make me love them even more... 1.7s play MUSIC sweet... Congratulations Paul, great choice happy listening :thumbsup:

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

audiot servant
10-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Paul, congratulations from me too. You should have some fun trying them out with your two systems. There is a lot of good information here by others on step up and break in. I started with the 1.7's and was very happy with. Listening to Graham, Ray and others talk about their 3.7's drove me crazy. I moved up to 3.7's and they moved up to 20.7's. Thankfully those are out of my reach and my room is to small. I sure love my Maggie's :yes:

~Mike
Mike we were all crazy long before we got the Maggies... we're audiophiles... crazy is in our blood :smoking: ... just a touch crazy yes, crazy in love with the little panels of joy all the way from White Bear Creek :D

Bluemcintosh
11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm so sorry to tell you that I just sold my 1.7.......

I tried to listen to them over and over again...played 24/7 ....changed the jumpers to silver wire.... toe in & out...add a sub....playing around on small and large room...

Nothing worked on my taste...

Don't get me wrong ...it's great products and its one of best speakers under $ 3G...but that's where it end....

Just decide to stick with Elipsa and Harbeth :)

Thank you guys for greeting .... maybe I will try the 3.7 some time.

mgard
11-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Hey Paul,

Sorry they didn't work for you. It takes a while to get the brightness to go away. You already have some very excellent speakers. I was wondering how it was going to shake out for you. The 1.7’s definitely needed help in the bass end of the scale. Nothing JL Subs can't handle but there goes more $$'s.

~Mike

audiot servant
11-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Paul +1 sorry to hear the 1.7s didn't work out for you. Being at one with your speakers is the critical foundation to building the right system for you.

But then again it's not like you're suffering toooo badly going ahead enjoying music with the Elipsas and Harbeth :)

and as in everything, theres little point flogging the ex-horse... enjoy wherever your ears take you.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Johnbr
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Congratulations Michael have fun with your new toy.

Harbapapa
12-08-2012, 11:40 AM
It seems that Maggies devide audiophiles. Some love them, and the rest don't understant what is so great about them. I fell in love with them over 20 years ago. I had a "sidetrack" period with electrostats but recently returned back to Magnepan. I love them (and the way they "radiate" music).

psulioninks
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
I have just the opposite problem - I'm afraid to try anything else but Maggie's now for fear my expectations won't be realized! LOL

mraudio
02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Mike we were all crazy long before we got the Maggies... we're audiophiles... crazy is in our blood :smoking: ... just a touch crazy yes, crazy in love with the little panels of joy all the way from White Bear Creek :D

It's actually White Bear Lake, Minnesota. :yes: