PDA

View Full Version : Premier 350 vs. LP275M's

lotus340r
06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Hiya guys. Just curious really, how would these two compare in sound ?

Would the 350 win for out and out speed and slam ? Would the 275 win for tone, texture, timbre and staging ?

Obviously you can't leave the 275's running 24/7 so i was also wondering how long they take to warm up and come on song ?

Cheers, Rich.

rthomeint
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
I would think the 350 would be fast a have more slam and greater extension in the low end. Also the 350 would have less problems with various changes in impedance. that some speakers offer. A 350s power would roughly double in to a 4 ohm load. With the 350 your would have more power on demand. I think the 275 would be more holographic in it's imaging with better depth.

I can't speak for the 275 but my Premier 11 takes about 45 minutes to fully warm up. My MET 150 take about 1.5 hours to warm up from a cold start.

Rob

Rafale
06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi Lotus

very nice set-up....congrats
275 's warm up is typically 1 hour in my system, unfortunately never had the chance to hear a 350
btw how do you like your CJ/Avalon association ?

lotus340r
07-02-2012, 09:12 AM
hi Philippe, yes there is a definite synergy with the avalons, just magical and so holographic and textural

i might have a chance to get some avalon diamonds very soon, we will see

Rafale
07-02-2012, 11:25 AM
hi Philippe, yes there is a definite synergy with the avalons, just magical and so holographic and textural

i might have a chance to get some avalon diamonds very soon, we will see

Eidolon Diamonds .....wow congrats:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
i'm very tempted by Avalon:yes:
are you a Branko B client ?

turntable
07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
IMO the LP275's would be better in almost every respect. They are more expensive so they should be better as well.

Rafale
07-15-2012, 01:35 PM
IMO the LP275's would be better in almost every respect. They are more expensive so they should be better as well.

seconded

lotus340r
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Eidolon Diamonds .....wow congrats:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
i'm very tempted by Avalon:yes:
are you a Branko B client ?

Hi Raf, no, not a Brank client. :thumbsup:

lotus340r
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
seconded

interesting chaps

thanks for the feedback

I am very tempted I have to say

the only thing thta puts me off is the warm up time needed but then I could just plan in advance and turn them on an hour before listening mostly

Puma Cat
07-19-2012, 12:00 AM
seconded

With all due respect to Shane and Rafale, and as much I love C-J tube gear, I don't know that I would agree that the LP275Ms would be better in every respect. Not sure that the LP275Ms would beat it for slam and dynamics and speed of response, "visceral-ness", and certainly not for transient current delivery (current delivered) and damping factor. I think there'd be more of a horserace there than you might expect. Remember that the LP275Ms came after the Pr350 and C-J said that if it built the Pr350 today it would cost close to $25K-$30K, right in the ballpark where the 275M's cost when new. Coppy might be the best person to comment as he owns LP140M's and an Pr350. I certainly think there are things in the mids that the Pr350 does better than my LP70S; there's more image "palpability", solidity, and fullness.

Puma Cat
07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
I would think the 350 would be fast(er)? and have[bold added by me-PC] more slam and greater extension in the low end.

Agreed.

Also the 350 would have less problems with various changes in impedance. that some speakers offer. A 350s power would roughly double in to a 4 ohm load. With the 350 your would have more power on demand.

Also agreed.

I think the 275 would be more holographic in it's imaging with better depth.

It might be more holographic but I'm not sure the imaging would have more depth.

Jerome W
07-19-2012, 03:27 AM
With all due respect to Shane and Rafale, and as much I love C-J tube gear, I don't know that I would agree that the LP275Ms would be better in every respect. Not sure that the LP275Ms would beat it for slam and dynamics and speed of response, "visceral-ness", and certainly not for transient current delivery (current delivered) and damping factor. I think there'd be more of a horserace there than you might expect. Remember that the LP275Ms came after the Pr350 and C-J said that if it built the Pr350 today it would cost close to $25K-$30K, right in the ballpark where the 275M's cost when new. Coppy might be the best person to comment as he owns LP140M's and an Pr350. I certainly think there are things in the mids that the Pr350 does better than my LP70S; there's more image "palpability", solidity, and fullness.

What can explain such an increase ?

Puma Cat
07-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I think you'll need to ask Messrs. Conrad and Johnson that question, mon amí!

Jerome W
07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I think you'll need to ask Messrs. Conrad and Johnson that question, mon amí!

I'm not a CJ guy Stephen....not yet :D.
So I don't really care why a Premier 350 should cost around 25k to make today.
Seems that we both had great deals though !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

joeinid
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Rub it in Jerome :(

Coppy
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Guess I made these comments before but the P350 has deeper bass of course, presents transients faster and plays a bit louder. We all know there are different synergies of equipment and music so depending on your speakers, the music you like, what you like within that music, either amplification system might sound better. The 275's have a bit more bandwidth than the LP140s (an output transformer thing) and certainly more power. That increase in power gives the 275s an effortless feeling much as the P350 enjoys. The tubes do add a holographic feeling to the music that all we tube folks seem to enjoy. So, in the final analysis, it depends a lot on what music you listen to.

Both these geese lay the golden eggs.

Bob

turntable
07-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Hi Stephen

All systems, tastes and synergies will be different.

I base my thoughts on owning the prem8a's and owning the prem350 which I had for around 12 months. this was coupled with prem16 and Vienna mahler speakers.
My pre teflon upgrade prem 8a to my ears was better in most respects musically. yes the prem350 had a slightly tighter bass and was a bit quieter in residual background, but that was about it.

That is not to say the pre350 did not sound good as it did, just not as good as the large 270 watt tubes monoblocks. Unfortunately at the time I could not afford both when one would not be getting much use.

Until you have lived with very large tube monoblocks, it is difficult to apreciate the differences it brings compared to smaller offerings as it is not just power output.

BTW, I think Rgnad has a nice pair of LP275's for sale in the classified :thumbsup:

cheers

Shane

lotus340r
07-20-2012, 06:13 AM
MOre interesting views, thanks folks. Maybe the only true step up is to get the Art monoblocks ?

joeinid
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
MOre interesting views, thanks folks. Maybe the only true step up is to get the Art monoblocks ?

:banana::banana: