PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Johnson GAT ...

joeinid
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
As much as I wanted Ivan's 28BSST2's (sorry Ivan, maybe soon), I could not pull the trigger on them because I have a sweet little GAT coming Thursday. Ever since I tasted the ET5 and realized I was able to get a Premier 350, I knew it would not be long for the GAT to make its way into my room.:banana:I can not wait to play it with the Dartzeel and Premier 350.

ronenash
05-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Congrats Joe! What a great CJ setup.
All I can say is give the GAT plently of break in time.

joeinid
05-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Congrats Joe! What a great CJ setup.
All I can say is give the GAT plently of break in time.

Thanks Ronenash,

I sincerely appreciate all your past, present and future advice. You are an extremely valuable AA member.

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Congrats, Joe! Your dream is about to come true!

Please keep us posted on your impressions and how it does as it breaks in.

TommyC
05-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Wow very nice! Lots of toys for you to play with!

'cisco
05-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Congrats Joe.......... Your sig is growing by leaps and bounds. :thumbsup:

joeinid
05-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Congrats, Joe! Your dream is about to come true!

Please keep us posted on your impressions and how it does as it breaks in.

Thanks Stephen,

There is no denying there is something special with Conrad Johnson. It is very musical and satisfying. If the GAT is any better than the ET5 (I am sure it will be), I will be very happy.

Wow very nice! Lots of toys for you to play with!

One more great source and I'm done :banana: except for some cables, a new rack and .....

Congrats Joe.......... Your sig is growing by leaps and bounds. :thumbsup:

Thanks cisco,

I was hoping I could keep a handle on it, but I'm almost there. :D

So, how's the CA200? I miss that sweet control amp.

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Joe,
I'm sure the GAT will prove to be very special indeed. Folks that I've spoken to that have them or have reviewed them feel it's one of a handful of the very best preamps in the world. Is yours new or "pre-owned"? Just wondering if there's going to be some running in requ'd.

We're all very happy for you, and probably not a little bit envious! :D

Now, all you need is a turntable! ;)

joeinid
05-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Hi Stephen,

It should be only about half way (or a little more) through break in so I have a little way to go. I am dying to hear it on the 350 and especially on the Dart.

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Good to hear, Joe. So it must have about 300 hours or so on it?

joeinid
05-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Good to hear, Joe. So it must have about 300 hours or so on it?

That sounds about right. Certainly under 300 hours actually closer to 200-250.

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Ah, so. Well....as Shane would say, patience is a virtue.

Should be ready around Thanksgiving time, is my guess (based on my CT-5 experience).

joeinid
05-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Ah, so. Well....as Shane would say, patience is a virtue.

Should be ready around Thanksgiving time, is my guess (based on my CT-5 experience).

:yikes:

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I know, go back and look at my CT-5 posts if you get a chance. Bought it in Feb 2011, it started soudning decent around July, and got to the point of being really good in the Oct/Nov time frame. It basically took the better part of the year to burn in. As Shane has stated, burn in realistically is more like 1000 hours, not the 300 C-J states.

But the good thing is that it IS worth it once it gets there. I'm only saying this to accurately set expectations as some folks sell their newly purchased Teflon-capped C-J gear TOO SOON. This is exactly what happened with my CT-5. The original purchaser bought it, ran it in for 300 hours then sold it to me two months to the day after he bought it. Took a 50% haircut in sales vs. purchase price in the process. And I when I got it, I could understand why he sold it, it still sounded pretty dreadful at 300 hours. Also, be advised that if you unplug your GAT after it's burned in for more than two weeks or so, it will take another week to re-burn in to sound it's best again.

joeinid
05-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks Stephen!

I remember. I also remember when it finally clicked for you and you were like what just happened. Good times. I am dying for the FedEx guy to show up on Thursday. My room outlets still need to be installed. The job is 3/4 done. Damn!

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 03:13 AM
:D I'm sure! I'd be pretty excited as well! ;) You've been waiting for just right GAT to come along now for about the last year or so...

I'm sitting here listening to Billie Holiday, Body and Soul, on the Pr17 and the Wadia 121 DAC and I'm a very happy camper.

joeinid
05-23-2012, 03:19 AM
It's a beautiful thing when it all comes together :)

ronenash
05-23-2012, 03:35 AM
So, how's the CA200? I miss that sweet control amp.

I am one step away from getting back the CA200. The dealer still has it available. I cannot stand the idea of giving it up and I do not see any Premier 350 in sight.

ronenash
05-23-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm only saying this to accurately set expectations as some folks sell their newly purchased Teflon-capped C-J gear TOO SOON.

Personally I am waiting for these individuals around the corner. :D

joeinid
05-23-2012, 03:42 AM
I am one step away from getting back the CA200. The dealer still has it available. I cannot stand the idea of giving it up and I do not see any Premier 350 in sight.

I totally agree. I was not smart to give mine up because it was essentially new and in perfect shape. I still toy with the idea of replacing it because when they are gone, they are gone.

ronenash, have you compared the ET250S to a CA200 in similar systems? Seems like the next best thing. Thoughts? I'd like to hear the ET250S (especially with the GAT) and see how it compares.

ronenash
05-23-2012, 03:54 AM
I totally agree. I was not smart to give mine up because it was essentially new and in perfect shape. I still toy with the idea of replacing it because when they are gone, they are gone.

ronenash, have you compared the ET250S to a CA200 in similar systems? Seems like the next best thing. Thoughts? I'd like to hear the ET250S (especially with the GAT) and see how it compares.

I have heard the ET250s briefly and not in direct comparison to the CA200. I think the ET250 was warmer than the CA200 but to me it did not have the magic of the CA200. I did have a chance to hear the CA200 with the Premier 350 and they are very close. The Premier 350 is obviously more powerful and more dynamic but tonality, soundstaging, superb presence are all very similar. I my rather small listening room the CA200 was wonderful.
Compared to the LP125SE which I now own it was less holographic but more powerfull but on the plus side it does not consume 1000w from the power line just being turned on and it goes easier on the airconditioning in the hot Israeli summers.

joeinid
05-23-2012, 04:04 AM
I have heard the ET250s briefly and not in direct comparison to the CA200. I think the ET250 was warmer than the CA200 but to me it did not have the magic of the CA200. I did have a chance to hear the CA200 with the Premier 350 and they are very close. The Premier 350 is obviously more powerful and more dynamic but tonality, soundstaging, superb presence are all very similar. I my rather small listening room the CA200 was wonderful.
Compared to the LP125SE which I now own it was less holographic but more powerfull but on the plus side it does not consume 1000w from the power line just being turned on and it goes easier on the airconditioning in the hot Israeli summers.

Thank you! :thumbsup: That description is how I expect the amps to play in a system.

I always wanted to try my CA200 with either the ET5 or the GAT, but sold it too quickly to hear the CA200 with a great tube preamp. If the opportunity ever comes around again :scratch2: :D

I wish CJ would make a nice reissue of the 350 and/or CA200.

Joe Appierto
05-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Congratulations, Joe, and best of luck with the new GAT! Sounds like Christmas is coming on May 24th for you this year. :banana:

Ritmo
05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Congratulations Joe! That is going to be a sweeeeet combo. :music:

Mike

cmalak
05-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Joe...congrats on the GAT :thumbsup: On the subject of break in, you can always run a signal through it connected to the Dartzeel or the 250 continuous 24/7 for 2 weeks and that will burn up 336 hrs and get you closer to that 600 hr break-in time and then play it whenever you listen for the remaining 400 hrs. My take from Stephen's description is that the bulk of the change in the tonal character and openness of the amp was achieved around the 600 hr mark and then there were smaller refinements all the way up to 1000 hrs. I may be wrong there. But wither way, you can speed up the break-in by running it continuous for 2 or 4 weeks. I would not be as worried about running it continuously vs. a power amp, given that the small signal tubes are not going to arc on you and potentially cause an issue like the big power tubes. Enjoy it :thumbsup:

jwhite613
05-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Joe... Congratulations!!! Hope you take lots of pictures!

chessman
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Joe, another big congrats! Although to be honest, you have had so many items of great gear that I have kind of lost sight of what you currently have running. :D

joeinid
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Joe...congrats on the GAT :thumbsup: Enjoy it :thumbsup:

Cyril,

Thank you. I'm sure I'll be streaming and listening and playing disc jockey.

Joe... Congratulations!!! Hope you take lots of pictures!

Thanks Jeff,

I could not pass this up, it was higher on the list.

Joe, another big congrats! Although to be honest, you have had so many items of great gear that I have kind of lost sight of what you currently have running. :D

Thanks Randy,

Right now the CR-1's are playing with the Dart 108 and the 077. I really want to hear the GAT and the Dart first. The rest in due time.

Coppy
05-23-2012, 05:52 PM
As much as I wanted Ivan's 28BSST2's (sorry Ivan, maybe soon), I could not pull the trigger on them because I have a sweet little GAT coming Thursday. Ever since I tasted the ET5 and realized I was able to get a Premier 350, I knew it would not be long for the GAT to make its way into my room.:banana:I can not wait to play it with the Dartzeel and Premier 350.

Hi Joe...

Let me be the one dissenter and suggest the break-in time for your GAT will be much less painful than you've heard. First, mine sounded great right out of the box. No doubt things improved with time but it didn't take six months. Philippe has not talked about incredibly long breaking nor has Myles Astor. With the hours already on the unit, you may find you're nearly there. Our friends at c-j quote much shorter break-in times, hopefully not just for marketing reasons. And, they run them for a not insignificant amount of time at the factory before they go out to the customer. As Stephen said, the GAT is reported by many top reviewers to be one of the top preamplifiers available today. I know you will love it right out of the box... enjoy.

Bob

Toobs
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Big congrats Joe:banana: I can only imagine what the Premier 350 and the GAT will sound like with the TAD CR1's. Hope to see lots of pics:thumbsup::yes:

joeinid
05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Bob and Bob, :)

Thanks for the kind words. I am super excited. I had to take a vacation day for tomorrow because when I hook up the GAT, I'll be taking a little trip to Heaven :)

I think most of the heavy lifting is done on the GAT and I'll be cruising to home plate. I am eager to try it with the Dartzeel first because I know the CJ 350 is a no brainer excellent combo.

I think the GAT/350 and the GAT/Dart combos will work well on the TAD CR-1's because they are very revealing and can be perceived as a bit forward to some people.

I am still waiting for my electrical guy to install new dedicated outlets in my room. The ac panel, incoming wiring, meter pan and pole were replaced. Now my room needs attention.
Arrrrrgh!

Fingers crossed.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Even cold out of the box and partially broken in, I can tell the Conrad Johnson GAT is a spectacular preamp. Some other manufacturers should take notice. There is an ease and naturalness to the music that is undeniable. My system is in a state of flux because I am still waiting for my room outlets to be installed but everything else is done. Here are a several photos to show this magnificent piece of art. The GAT blows away the 077 on the Dartzeel 108 for musicality. I can only imagine how it will do on the Premier 350.

Hatzudokiseizo
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Even cold out of the box and partially broken in, I can tell the Conrad Johnson GAT is a spectacular preamp. Some other manufacturers should take notice. There is an ease and naturalness to the music that is undeniable. My system is in a state of flux because I am still waiting for my room outlets to be installed but everything else is done. Here are a several photos to show this magnificent piece of art. The GAT blows away the 077 on the Dartzeel 108 for musicality. I can only imagine how it will do on the Premier 350.

Hello Superb Fotos whit GAT!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lotus340r
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
fabulous, enjoy it !

one day I will change to a Gat for sure

Toobs
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Joe
Awesome pics:banana: Welcome to your own private audio nirvana:thumbsup::yes:

joeinid
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
fabulous, enjoy it !

one day I will change to a Gat for sure

Thanks! It really is awesome. I thought the ET5 was great. This GAT is way better.

Joe
Awesome pics:banana: Welcome to your own private audio nirvana:thumbsup::yes:

Thanks Bob,

The CR-1's and the GAT are not going anywhere. These are here to stay. I am eager to see what else makes the cut. :smoking:

Myles B. Astor
05-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Just wait, it's only going to get better. The GAT is a very special preamplifier. You should hear it with cj's own tube amps!

Myles B. Astor
05-24-2012, 04:10 PM

What outlets you having installed. I'm thinking about swapping to the top of the line Furatech. Few others lock that AC plug down like the Furatech.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
What outlets you having installed. I'm thinking about swapping to the top of the line Furatech. Few others lock that AC plug down like the Furatech.

Hi Myles,

I have some PS Audio outlets I picked up from Ivan. Soloist and Power Port Premiers. I was thinking since my electrician has not showed up yet to do my room (everything else is done), I may order something better if anyone has any recommendations.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Just wait, it's only going to get better. The GAT is a very special preamplifier. You should hear it with cj's own tube amps!

Funny you should say that :D. Once the outlets and everything gets settled, I am seriously thinking about which CJ tube amps will sound great with the CR-1's. Maybe the new ART stereo amp perhaps :scratch2:. Just thinking out loud.

slowGEEZR
05-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow! Lookin' good Joe! :banana: That's one of the coolest looking preamps out there! I bet it sounds incredible.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Wow! Lookin' good Joe! :banana: That's one of the coolest looking preamps out there! I bet it sounds incredible.

Steve,

It really is unbelievable. Exactly what I had hoped it would be. I thought the ET5 was great. The GAT blows it away hands down. I don't feel so bad trading in the 077 now. What's happening to me :D

The only negative? Dust will find every nook and cranny. :cry:

tsv_1
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM

It is sweet for sure!

Congrats Joe!

joeinid
05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
It is sweet for sure!

Congrats Joe!

Thanks Todd,

I've been swapping cds all day. Very nice :music:

CDLehner
05-24-2012, 08:12 PM
What a glorious way to spend a day of hooky! Congrats Joe :thumbsup:

joeinid
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
What a glorious way to spend a day of hooky! Congrats Joe :thumbsup:

Hi Chris,

Yes it is. Your enthusiasm for all your Conrad Johnson experiences has been infectious. It's fun to watch someone else have fun like I am now. :music:

cmalak
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Joe...she's looking good. Very nicely done and congrats :thumbsup:

PHC1
05-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Joe, congrats! :thumbsup: Have not had the pleasure of auditioning the GAT but I am sure it sounds fantastic. :music: Enjoy!!! :banana:

joeinid
05-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks Cyril, Thanks Serge,

Serge - I imagine Conrad Johnson is probably a little like Shindo on steroids. There's something so right about it. I just hooked up the Premier 350 and letting that burn in before some listening. Different from the Dart for sure. More explosive and powerful but probably not as refined. I should reserve judgement until she's fully warmed up.

PHC1
05-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks Cyril, Thanks Serge,

Serge - I imagine Conrad Johnson is probably a little like Shindo on steroids. There's something so right about it. I just hooked up the Premier 350 and letting that burn in before some listening. Different from the Dart for sure. More explosive and powerful but probably not as refined. I should reserve judgement until she's fully warmed up.

Most definitely let everything warm up and gel together! :yes:

joeinid
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Most definitely let everything warm up and gel together! :yes:

Definitely! The 350 really takes all night to open up.

Ritmo
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Very nice Joe! Enjoy the Gat!

Mike

joeinid
05-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Very nice Joe! Enjoy the Gat!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will. I am really happy with the GAT. It has a very natural sound and sweetness that really compliments and makes the most of the CR-1's.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
A photo with the CJ Premier 350 and Audio Logic DAC. What a great amp - the Premier 350. Explosive, dynamic and opening up nicely. Wow!

skroudo
05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
A photo with the CJ Premier 350 and Audio Logic DAC. What a great amp - the Premier 350. Explosive, dynamic and opening up nicely. Wow!

Nice setup my friend, glorious system you have, enjoy :thumbsup: :music: :yes:

joeinid
05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks Josh,

I can't wait until you ET3SE arrives. CJ is amazing! :)

Puma Cat
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Congrats on taking delivery of the GAT, Joe!

Please post your impressions as they develop with time on the preamp.

begli occhi
05-24-2012, 11:52 PM

Congratulations Joe:banana::yes:. I assure you, Gat will sound better and better over time and you will be glued to your system for long hours. You should have taken the week off instead:D.

joeinid
05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Congrats on taking delivery of the GAT, Joe!

Please post your impressions as they develop with time on the preamp.

Thanks Stephen,

I figured the GAT would be better than the ET5. I was not prepared for how much better it actually sounds. I am a happy camper. :music: You were absolutely right.

'cisco
05-25-2012, 01:00 AM
That's a nice looking combo Joe......enjoy it my friend. :thumbsup:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/conrad-johnson/17307d1337912084-conrad-johnson-gat-gat-premier-350-2.jpg

joeinid
05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks 'Cisco,

I sincerely hope you are enjoying the CA200. That control amp sounds almost exactly like my Premier 350 with just a little less power.

rthomeint
05-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm have a question for the GAT owners out there. How many out of the 250 limited run has CJ sold. If I could scrap cash I would love to get one, but I plan on getting a Porsche at the end of the year. I just trying to figure out if I have time or wait for GAT MkII.

joeinid
05-25-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't know for sure but I imagine you may have a year or two for the GATs. They are probably half way through the series, maybe a little more. I am curious what could be next. I really can't see it getting any better but you never know.

'cisco
05-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks 'Cisco,

I sincerely hope you are enjoying the CA200. That control amp sounds almost exactly like my Premier 350 with just a little less power.

Yes Joe.... I am enjoying the 200 immensely.....I just have to work out some minor issues with that cable TV. If not...I may have to let it go to an individual that uses it for audio only. :sigh: I'll post my adventure in another thread later.

joeinid
05-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Yes Joe.... I am enjoying the 200 immensely.....I just have to work out some minor issues with that cable TV. If not...I may have to let it go to an individual that uses it only for audio only. :sigh: I'll post my adventure in another thread later.

Please do. I am interested.

Jerome W
05-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Joe,
Congrats on the GAT ! This is a very serious preamp to add to your collection.
Enjoy it in great health my friend !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

joeinid
05-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Jerome,

Thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate the good wishes.

Rayooo
05-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Joe,

When things get settled, I'd sure like to hear :music: your impression on ET-5 vs GAT.

Once the 20.7s arrive, I'll have to decide on either replacing the JC-1s, or moving the ET-5 to a GAT. .. .. Or maybe if I have moment of sanity, I'd sit tight for awhile...... NA.

My initial thought was to replace the JC-1s first...bang for the buck, but then again it might be better to get-a-GAT. :scratch2:

Masterlu
05-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Looking Great Joe, enjoy that Bad Boy! :thumbsup:

joeinid
05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Joe,

When things get settled, I'd sure like to hear :music: your impression on ET-5 vs GAT.

Once the 20.7s arrive, I'll have to decide on either replacing the JC-1s, or moving the ET-5 to a GAT. .. .. Or maybe if I have moment of sanity, I'd sit tight for awhile...... NA.

My initial thought was to replace the JC-1s first...bang for the buck, but then again it might be better to get-a-GAT. :scratch2:

Hi Ray,

I know what you are going through. So far I am so happy with the GAT, I am seriously considering trading in the 077.

What amps are you thinking of getting to replace the JC-1's? That would make the decision a little easier.

Looking Great Joe, enjoy that Bad Boy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ivan. Sometimes we can't control the timing. Strike when the opportunity arrives. :yes:

Rayooo
05-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi Ray,

I know what you are going through. So far I am so happy with the GAT, I am seriously considering trading in the 077.

What amps are you thinking of getting to replace the JC-1's? That would make the decision a little easier.
:

Don't really have a short-list yet on possible JC-1 replacement(s)
..I'd love to beg/borrow/steal a couple ART Monoblocks and see how they'd run maggies... but aren't the ART monos $20k each? ouch.

Would for sure have a look at 28BSSTē ..and others in that class.

joeinid
05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
..I'd love to beg/borrow/steal a couple ART Monoblocks and see how they'd run maggies... but aren't the ART monos $20k each? ouch.

I think retail on the ART monos is $33K for the pair. I know Myles loves his ART amps. :music:

I'm sure PartTimeJedi loves his 28BSSTē as well as everyone else who owns them.

The 28BSSTē should play very well with the ET5 and especially the GAT. I would love to hear a pair (especially with my GAT). :yes:

Puma Cat
05-25-2012, 12:19 PM

The ET250S would also drive Maggies very well. I have a friend who has a CT-5 and ET250S and absolutely loves this system driving his Maggies.

joeinid
05-25-2012, 12:22 PM
The ET250S would also drive Maggies very well. I have a friend who has a CT-5 and ET250S and absolutely loves this system driving his Maggies.

I would also love to hear the ET250S with my GAT to compare it to my Pr. 350

Puma Cat
05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
My guess is the ET250S is a slightly more neutral sound than the Pr350.

joeinid
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
My guess is the ET250S is a slightly more neutral sound than the Pr350.

Even with the input tubes? Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. I have to say the Pr. 350 is unlike other amps I've heard. I think she (the Pr. 350) still needs more (break-in) time to really settle down.

Rayooo
05-25-2012, 02:08 PM

At this point in all likelyhood I'd stay with big monoblocks of some flavor. :D
Having owned 1.6s, 3.6s and now 3.7s..all driven all with several stereo amps along the way, none of the stereo amps were capable of the slam/attack I can get with the JC-1s. :yes:

My thought was a PR350 would come close, and no doubt a ET250 would do well also, but, these JC-1s handle the 3.7s with utter ease at every volume level. :yes::yes:

I'd pretty much accepted that Magnepans, as always reported needed to be cranked to have realistic leading edge attack sharpness. These JC-1s do a wonderful job of it, even a lower listening levels.

Puma Cat
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Even with the input tubes? Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. I have to say the Pr. 350 is unlike other amps I've heard. I think she (the Pr. 350) still needs more (break-in) time to really settle down.

You can always send it to me for break-in! :p

Rayooo
05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
you can always send it to me for break-in! :p

ME TOOOO, I'm closer Joe! :yeeea:

joeinid
05-25-2012, 02:27 PM
You can always send it to me for break-in! :p

ME TOOOO, I'm closer Joe! :yeeea:

:scratch2::scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

:D :smoking:

I'm sure :thumbsup:

joeinid
05-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Hello Superb Photos with GAT!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hatzudokiseizo,

Thank you very much!

Welcome to AA!

:welcome2.::pg2:

TommyC
05-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Very nice Joe! Congrats!

joeinid
05-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks Tommy!

cmalak
05-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Ray...I believe Ivan just listed a brand new set of 28BSSTē for a ridiculous price but I just checked the For Sale section and it looks like he pulled the thread. Not sure why :dunno: ?

Rayooo
05-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Ray...I believe Ivan just listed a brand new set of 28BSSTē for a ridiculous price but I just checked the For Sale section and it looks like he pulled the thread. Not sure why :dunno: ?

probably best if they are not there! I don't need the temptation. :no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

Ritmo
05-25-2012, 10:42 PM

Probably because he is now at the Cape...

Mike

bradleyc
05-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Sweet Joe! Sounds like the GAT is going to be a keeper along with your beloved CR-1's. Now you're having even more fun everyday!

Masterlu
05-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Because they Sold! ;)

Masterlu
05-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Probably because he is now at the Cape...

Mike

I have one pair left, but keeping them for now. They are outstanding Amps!

joeinid
05-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Sweet Joe! Sounds like the GAT is going to be a keeper along with your beloved CR-1's. Now you're having even more fun everyday!

Hi Bradley,

I had a feeling the GAT would be superb like the CR-1's are superb. I sincerely appreciate your help and guidance. I wanted to say thank you once again. You are one of the treasures of AA (and probably best kept secrets, until now :D). Everything is coming together quite well. :music:

turntable
05-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Hey Joe

Welcome to the GAT club!!! :music::thumbsup::smoking:

It will only get better. :yes:

Personally I think the cj ART amps will couple perfectly with your TAD's and wipe the floor of your SS amps :D. Not that there is anything wrong with your amps you have now, as they are superb.
But tube amps are more hassle.

Enjoy the ride

joeinid
05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey Joe

Personally I think the cj ART amps will couple perfectly with your TAD's and wipe the floor of your SS amps :D. Not that there is anything wrong with your amps you have now, as they are superb.

Enjoy the ride

Thanks Shane,

The GAT is a great preamp. I shouldn't be surprised. After my electrical outlets are sorted out, I may consider some nice tube amps to play around with in my system.

Toobs
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks Shane,

The GAT is a great preamp. I shouldn't be surprised. After my electrical outlets are sorted out, I may consider some nice tube amps to play around with in my system.

Joe
Did I read this correctly??? You're considering tube amps? Well I think the GAT would deserve nothing less than the cj ART monos. Afterall the best deserves the best:yes::yes:

Puma Cat
05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
He could get a pair of LP140Ms to start with. Joe's place isn't so large he needs 275 Wpc. They're excellent amps.

joeinid
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Joe
Did I read this correctly??? You're considering tube amps? Well I think the GAT would deserve nothing less than the cj ART monos. Afterall the best deserves the best:yes::yes:

Nothing but the best. :) After everything settles down and I've got my outlets installed, my sources all sorted out, I'd love to entertain some nice CJ tube amps. :yes:

joeinid
05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
He could get a pair of LP140Ms to start with. Joe's place isn't so large he needs 275 Wpc. They're excellent amps.

Sounds good too :yes: Maybe even the ART stereo amp.

Toobs
05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Joe
We just love helping you spend your money:D:D

Coppy
05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds good too :yes: Maybe even the ART stereo amp.

I believe the Art Stereo amp would give you about the same performance as the LP140 monos. c-j has said they are a "generational" improvement meaning to me that in some ways better, in some ways not so. Monos provide better separation and don't tug at the same time on the same power supply making individual channels sound better. The newer input circuits of the ART S may be a bit less noisy... not that I can hear anything on the LP140s. And then, do you want two big chassis or one a bit larger?

Go for it,
Bob

Also... your P350 isn't exactly chopped liver and has some distinct advantages. You may note I own and happily use both.

joeinid
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Joe
We just love helping you spend your money:D:D

Thanks! Like I need the help. :no:

I believe the Art Stereo amp would give you about the same performance as the LP140 monos. c-j has said they are a "generational" improvement meaning to me that in some ways better, in some ways not so. Monos provide better separation and don't tug at the same time on the same power supply making individual channels sound better. The newer input circuits of the ART S may be a bit less noisy... not that I can hear anything on the LP140s. And then, do you want two big chassis or one a bit larger?

Go for it,
Bob

I am a long way off from having to make that decision, thankfully. All in good time. :scratch2:

ronenash
05-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I believe the Art Stereo amp would give you about the same performance as the LP140 monos. c-j has said they are a "generational" improvement meaning to me that in some ways better, in some ways not so. Monos provide better separation and don't tug at the same time on the same power supply making individual channels sound better.

There is considerable difference between the ART and LP140. In the LP140 CJ went for a balanced tube circuit design that is very difficult to keep at top performance. It required very closely matched triod sections of the input 6922 tube. CJ later issued a technical paper on a small modification to make the matching of triods in the input tube less critical since they could not get tubes that were as closely matched. What's more as tubes age the triod sections within the tube do not age the same and this becomes a problem in the LP140. Due to this the LP140 is very difficult to keep at top performance and CJ eventually droped this design fairly quickly.
I have a vintage tube amp with a similar design but with potentiometer to balance the circuit and its a pain to open up the amplifier and balance it every few month although when its balanced it sound extremely good.
CJ dropped this circuit design in their current line of amps starting with the LP66s I believe, the LP125 and ART amps. Their current design is much simpler as you can see from the lower number of input tubes they use and according to CJ it also sound better with less parts in the signal path.
I think the ART should sound considerably better than the LP140 even in stereo form. The LP140 might have a soundstage width and depth advantage because of the mono block configuration. If you want a mono block set you can get the LP125SE which are also a great choise.

joeinid
05-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the explanation ronenash! Very much appreciated. Are the ART amps (either stereo or mono) shipping with KT120's exclusively or only the 6550's?

Myles B. Astor
05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Hey Joe

Enjoy the ride

+1

Except the AC bill will be a lot less with his ss amplifiers :)

Myles B. Astor
05-29-2012, 11:14 PM
There is considerable difference between the ART and LP140. In the LP140 CJ went for a balanced tube circuit design that is very difficult to keep at top performance. It required very closely matched triod sections of the input 6922 tube. CJ later issued a technical paper on a small modification to make the matching of triods in the input tube less critical since they could not get tubes that were as closely matched. What's more as tubes age the triod sections within the tube do not age the same and this becomes a problem in the LP140. Due to this the LP140 is very difficult to keep at top performance and CJ eventually droped this design fairly quickly.
I have a vintage tube amp with a similar design but with potentiometer to balance the circuit and its a pain to open up the amplifier and balance it every few month although when its balanced it sound extremely good.
CJ dropped this circuit design in their current line of amps starting with the LP66s I believe, the LP125 and ART amps. Their current design is much simpler as you can see from the lower number of input tubes they use and according to CJ it also sound better with less parts in the signal path.
I think the ART should sound considerably better than the LP140 even in stereo form. The LP140 might have a soundstage width and depth advantage because of the mono block configuration. If you want a mono block set you can get the LP125SE which are also a great choise.

Yes, that's why cj initially warned against tube rolling with the 6922s in the LP 140 (note: this wasn't an issue with the LP275 or LP70).

I think any loss in soundstage/bass, etc. will have to balanced out against the rest of the system and may not be missed.

joeinid
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks Myles !

ronenash
05-30-2012, 02:35 AM
Yes, that's why cj initially warned against tube rolling with the 6922s in the LP 140 (note: this wasn't an issue with the LP275 or LP70).

I think any loss in soundstage/bass, etc. will have to balanced out against the rest of the system and may not be missed.

I think the LP275 has the same design and suffers from the same problem. Its input stage configuration is identical to the LP140 but with twice the output tubes and output power as a result.
The LP70s is different as it uses one half of a 6922 for the input of each channel and one 6922 as a driver. I am not sure if the drivers are paralleled of balanced. If its balanced you will still need tightly match sections for the driver tubes.

ronenash
05-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the explanation ronenash! Very much appreciated. Are the ART amps (either stereo or mono) shipping with KT120's exclusively or only the 6550's?

I think they are both shipped with KT120 today but I am not sure. You can check with CJ. In any case you will have no problem installing KT120 in the ART amplifiers.

Myles B. Astor
05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
I think they are both shipped with KT120 today but I am not sure. You can check with CJ. In any case you will have no problem installing KT120 in the ART amplifiers.

Since the retube kits are with KT120s, I'd assume they're shipping all the amps with those tubes. Any case, I think the 6550s and KT120s are the same price from cj so one could certainly swap them.

Coppy
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Folks,

For the comfort of any LP140M owners or perspective owners, here is what Lew had to say on the subject of the input tube sensitivity this morning:

Bob,

There is a simple modification that we can do to your amps that will eliminate this issue. It will not impact the performance of an amp with exactly matched input tubes, but will significantly improve the performance if the tubes are slightly mis-matched. Send me the serial numbers of your amplifiers so I can check to see if this has already been done. If it has not, you are welcome to bring them by at your convenience and we will do the upgrade for you. There is no charge for this and it could be done while you wait if you call ahead to schedule.

best regards,
Lew Johnson

They did the Mod to my amps some time ago and they still sound terrific.

Bob

joeinid
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks Bob :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Folks,

For the comfort of any LP140M owners or perspective owners, here is what Lew had to say on the subject of the input tube sensitivity this morning:

Bob,

There is a simple modification that we can do to your amps that will eliminate this issue. It will not impact the performance of an amp with exactly matched input tubes, but will significantly improve the performance if the tubes are slightly mis-matched. Send me the serial numbers of your amplifiers so I can check to see if this has already been done. If it has not, you are welcome to bring them by at your convenience and we will do the upgrade for you. There is no charge for this and it could be done while you wait if you call ahead to schedule.

best regards,
Lew Johnson

They did the Mod to my amps some time ago and they still sound terrific.

Bob

Now that's what I call customer service!

JONERVI
06-02-2012, 04:03 PM

best regards,
Lew Johnson
[/U]

I recently took my LP140's over to the cj factory to have the modification/upgrade performed, hope to unbox the amps today to give them a listen. I love these amps.

joeinid
06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to reading your opinion of how they sound. Congrats.

cjlew
06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
As I advised AA member Coppy, there is a simple update we can do for the LP140M amplifiers to eliminate the need for critical matching of the sections of the input tubes. Just contact us to confirm that the update has not already been installed. If not, then ship or bring the amplifiers to conrad-johnson to have this update installed. While the amps are here we will do a performance check as well. For Audiophile Aficianado members (just mention AA) we will charge only for any additional repairs that are authorized (including replacement tubes as needed), return shipping and packing if needed.

Puma Cat
06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
First-class customer service from c-j as always!

joeinid
06-06-2012, 07:58 PM
First-class customer service from c-j as always!

+1

Absolutely. We sincerely appreciate all the fine gear you make. Thanks Lew.

joeinid
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I just snapped a few photos after the major outlet install and before the big clean up.

With the dedicated lines and a slightly better cd/sacd player my Conrad Johnson GAT and Premier 350SA sound amazingly better. Now I am a firm believer in good clean AC for your system. This is one of the best things you can do for your ears.

jimtranr
06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
I just snapped a few photos after the major outlet install and before the big clean up.

Nice, Joe. :thumbsup:

joeinid
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice, Joe. :thumbsup:

Thank you Jim.

The performance upgrade from dedicated outlets is nothing short of amazing. It's as if I purchased new, state of the art components. :music:

The first upgrade anyone should be thinking about is dedicated lines. Now I understand fully.

rthomeint
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you Jim.

The performance upgrade from dedicated outlets is nothing short of amazing. It's as if I purchased new, state of the art components. :music:

The first upgrade anyone should be thinking about is dedicated lines. Now I understand fully.

Congrats on the new power lines. I totally agree with you about the electrical upgrades. I did it in my house when I built out my room in the basement. Not only was it a significant sonic upgrade but it help balance the power draw across the rest of the house and it is one the best bangs for the buck one can do. I would do this before spend huge money on power conditioners.

joeinid
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't know why it took me so long. I guess it was tough to find someone I could trust to do the job and finding someone who would come back and actually do the job. Also, I was worried about having parts of the house/room upside down for a while. It was well worth it. I am happier now that it is all over. :)

EightZeroZeroDelta
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't know why it took me so long. I guess it was tough to find someone I could trust to do the job and finding someone who would come back and actually do the job. Also, I was worried about having parts of the house/room upside down for a while. It was well worth it. I am happier now that it is all over. :)

Great to hear, Joe! I will certainly be doing this when I settle down, location-wise.

joeinid
06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Great to hear, Joe! I will certainly be doing this when I settle down, location-wise.

Sean,

BEFORE you or anyone else do(es) anything else, get dedicated lines. I am going through a laundry list of gear in my head that I may never have sold if I had listened to them with dedicated circuits. That's how much of an improvement I am hearing now. :music:

EightZeroZeroDelta
06-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Sean,

BEFORE you or anyone else do(es) anything else, get dedicated lines. I am going through a laundry list of gear in my head that I may never have sold if I had listened to them with dedicated circuits. That's how much of an improvement I am hearing now. :music:

Will do, Joe!

turntable
08-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Hey Joe

Has the GAT come and gone from the system? Its no longer in your equipment listing.

cheers

Rayooo
08-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Joe may have left the planet and be out of range of Earth at the moment...considering how much he was enjoying his new EMMDac into the wee hours of the morning. :banana: Hopefully his orbit will be suitable for North America..or for that matter Australia communications real soon now. :D

joeinid
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Joe may have left the planet and be out of range of Earth at the moment...considering how much he was enjoying his new EMMDac into the wee hours of the morning. :banana: Hopefully his orbit will be suitable for North America..or for that matter Australia communications real soon now. :D

OK, and we're back ....

joeinid
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Hey Joe

Has the GAT come and gone from the system? Its no longer in your equipment listing.

cheers

Hi Shane,

I had a "momentary lapse of reason" and sold it. I really think that may have been a mistake, considering it paired soooooooo well with my Dartzeel. :scratch2:

Coppy
08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
So Joe... you sold the TAS 2012 Golden Ear Award preamplifier. Hmm.

joeinid
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
So Joe... you sold the TAS 2012 Golden Ear Award preamplifier. Hmm.

:tears: Yes. I think (hope) they have a few more in stock. :scratch2:

Coppy
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Quick Lew... send Joe a GAT before he changes his mind again!

joeinid
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Quick Lew... send Joe a GAT before he changes his mind again!

:D

turntable
08-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi Shane,

I had a "momentary lapse of reason" and sold it. I really think that may have been a mistake, considering it paired soooooooo well with my Dartzeel. :scratch2:

Joe

You really have taken Serge's mantle at turning over equipment. :D

Looks like you are having fun thou and that is the main thing :thumbsup:

joeinid
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Joe

You really have taken Serge's mantle at turning over equipment. :D

Looks like you are having fun thou and that is the main thing :thumbsup:

He passed the torch.

But I do have to say the GAT is the one piece I really do miss. :tears: Ya never know.

Masterlu
08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
He passed the torch.

I think you may have grabbed the wrong end. :D

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01437/MAN-ON-FIRE_1437098c.jpg

joeinid
08-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I think you may have grabbed the wrong end. :D

Houston, I think we have a problem. Is it hot in here, or is it just me :D