PDA

View Full Version : Pv14l s2

Bugs762
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Since the PV15 I was looking at buying literally fell through(as in hit the floor). Does anyone have any experience with the PV14 with the S2 upgrade? I'm guessing that the sonics of the PV14 and the design is closer to a PV15 than a PV12 and that a fair price would be in the neighborhood of $1,250 to $1,300? I've read the PV14 S2/PV15 comparrison thread in this forum. Any new information since then?

Thanks

Coppy
04-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Since the PV15 I was looking at buying literally fell through(as in hit the floor). Does anyone have any experience with the PV14 with the S2 upgrade? I'm guessing that the sonics of the PV14 and the design is closer to a PV15 than a PV12 and that a fair price would be in the neighborhood of $1,250 to $1,300? I've read the PV14 S2/PV15 comparrison thread in this forum. Any new information since then?

Thanks

Bugs,

Had a Premier 14 some years ago and it was a very fine preamp. Eventually traded it in on a Premier 16 which was even better. I would highly recommend the 16 also if it's in your budget and available.

Good luck,
Bob

CDLehner
04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Bugs, not trying to spam or anything. I have a Premier 18LS that I'm getting ready to try and sell. It is SS though; you're probably looking tubes. Just FYI.

Bugs762
04-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Bugs, not trying to spam or anything. I have a Premier 18LS that I'm getting ready to try and sell. It is SS though; you're probably looking tubes. Just FYI.

Only tubes, thank you.

Briz Vegaas
04-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I think I contributed to the older thread. I have had no more recent experiences still liked the 14 better than the 15 in my system but that was so many updates ago. More tubey if you like that sort of thing.

Briz Vegaas
04-08-2012, 02:34 AM
........... He dropped the 15.

Can't take some people anywhere!!!!!

CDLehner
04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
........... He dropped the 15.

Can't take some people anywhere!!!!!

I know; it's such a bizarre story, the cynic in me wonders if something else happened. Like he got a better offer, or had a change of heart and decided to keep it. Of course, I thought joeinid's P350 widow was a ruse too.

Must...learn...to...trust...fellow...audiophiles. :D

CDLehner
04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Bugs...you might want to consider what happened with that PV-15 to be a blessing in disguise. With all due respect to anyone who owns one...when I was debating my own PV-15, versus taking a leap and stepping up to either the ET-2 or ET-3...I called Ed at C-J about it.

Now, I don't know Ed the way some of you guys might know Ed; I think I've spoken with him 3 times now...but my take is he generally has something good to say about most C-J gear. Sure...some is better than others, but after all, it's all at least "good", right? But he distinctly didn't seem to care for the PV-15. Again, in that group...I understand it's probably the "least" of the 3; and he didn't come out and call it a piece of crap or anything...lol. But he kind of mumbled something like "the ET-2 and ET-3 are real nice units; the PV-15, uh...".

I know your budget doesn't look like it'll allow you to move up much, and I don't want to be the jerk that crushes this piece for you...if you have your heart dead-set on it. After all...what I, anyone else, or even Ed at C-J thinks doesn't matter if it's the unit you prefer (I don't know if you've had a chance to audition, or have been trying to choose off of reputation and feedback).

At the same time, I'd want to know...so I thought I'd try to politely share. I'm not even suggesting you should move "up". If budget doesn't allow, maybe the PV-14LS2 or P14 might be a better choice? Just FYI; maybe you should give Ed a jingle yourself?

Rafale
04-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Bugs,

Had a Premier 14 some years ago and it was a very fine preamp. Eventually traded it in on a Premier 16 which was even better. I would highly recommend the 16 also if it's in your budget and available.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob ....PV14 and Prem14 / Prem 16 are not in the same league indeed

Bugs762
04-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Happy days! I picked up a Pemier 14 off of A'gon and stayed within budget. I guess I should'nt get too excited until it's delivered. Hmmmm... now I'm going to have to look for a CJ phono preamp to replace the one in my PV11.

Doug

Puma Cat
04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Happy days! I picked up a Pemier 14 off of A'gon and stayed within budget. I guess I should'nt get too excited until it's delivered. Hmmmm... now I'm going to have to look for a CJ phono preamp to replace the one in my PV11.

Doug

Awesome! Congrats! Let us know your impressions when you get some time with it.

'cisco
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Doug

Bugs.....if you're looking for a CJ phono pre....there's a Tea-2 in the "Selling Audio Forum" here on AA,....but you have to become a subscriber to access it. :yes:

Bugs762
04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Bugs.....if you're looking for a CJ phono pre....there's a Tea-2 in the "Selling Audio Forum" here on AA,....but you have to become a subscriber to access it. :yes:

Looks like I'll have to become a subscriber.

Cheers