PDA

View Full Version : EAR 324 Phono Stage Arrives!

gregswaim
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I received my new EAR 324 phono stage today! :banana:
After unpacking this 11lb little box I hooked it up to play with it a little.
My current pickup is the Linn Adikt MM mounted on the Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm.
I'm using DNM RCA's with Eichmann bullet plugs for interconnects. There are provisions for balanced(XLR) for those wanting to go fully balanced.

I'm using the Phono 2 section currently as this offers the most flexibility with lots of different settings to take advantage of. Just dial in your favorite setting for the sound that suits you best. The settings that I've decided on after trying out the various modes are: Capacitance : 470pf / Impedance : 100K.
The Impedance rating for my Linn Adikt pickup is 47K which is the standard for MM pickups, but it sounds better at 100K.
That's one of the great advantages for having a phono stage at this level, just dial in the sound that you like.

How does it sound?
I've never heard records sound this good from any TT! :eek2:The sound is scary close to my digital playback system, nice big sound stage,much more dynamics. :music: :banana:

My next step is to upgrade my Linn Adikt MM pickup to a Lyra Argo i MC(stereo) pickup, or should I? :scratch2: :D

The sound is totally amazing. The Ear 324 phono stage is a world class instrument and I highly recommend it to anyone that is serious about vinyl playback, make sure that you have a really decent TT otherwise the 324 will reveal flaws associated design/tracking ect.
Special thanks goes to MasterLu for making the possibility of owning this fine toy a reality for me! :bowdown:

More to follow......:typing: :music:

jdandy
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Greg.......That's a nice phono preamp. Congratulations.

Masterlu
06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Now that's what I love to hear! You made my weekend Greg! Awesome...

streetspirit
06-19-2009, 06:11 PM
i know you've been waiting for that bad boy and now it's living up to and exceeding your expectations! enjoy the weekend and playing around with it!

PHC1
06-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Great to hear you like it. I'm still waiting on mine...

gregswaim
06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Now that's what I love to hear! You made my weekend Greg! Awesome...

Thanks so much Ivan! It'll be a great weekend for sure. :music:
My 18th wedding anniversary was yesterday too! :banana:

gregswaim
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Great to hear you like it. I'm still waiting on mine...

I look forward to your impressions. It's a great performer for sure- I think that you'll love it. :yes:

jdandy
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Greg.......Don't forget to add the new gear to your signature line. :yes:

gregswaim
06-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Greg.......Don't forget to add the new gear to your signature line. :yes:

Thank you Dan! I was busy and over looked that. :D

Masterlu
06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks so much Ivan! It'll be a great weekend for sure. :music:
My 18th wedding anniversary was yesterday too! :banana:

Happy 18th! :yes:

gregswaim
06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Happy 18th! :yes:

Thank you! :D

'cisco
06-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Greg.....Congrats on both counts :banana:

While you're spinning some vinyl this weekend,don't forget to give some special attention to your wife too :D

gregswaim
06-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Greg.....Congrats on both counts :banana:

While you're spinning some vinyl this weekend,don't forget to give some special attention to your wife too :D

No worries Lavon ,Baby-San gets special attention from Daddy on a regular basis, especially on anniversaries. :naughty: :D

Masterlu
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
"tmi" ;)

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I ordered the Lyra Argo i MC pickup for my LP12 yesterday. It will take about 2 weeks for delivery.

The new pickup will need about 100 hours of break- in time. I'll be doing a A/B against my Linn dealer's fully tripped out reference LP12 SE TT with the new Radika power supply and his Argo i(about $22K altogether).
More importantly will be my LP12/Lingo power supply/Pro-ject 9cc tonearm/Ear 324/Argo i MC vs MCD500 in a A/B comparison. Adding the EAR 324 phono stage to my vinyl setup now gives my LP12 a serious advantage and the ability to compare to some of the best in digital players as well as the best in TT's. Even without a better tonearm and only a MM pickup, my LP12 is so very close to sounding better than my MCD500 right now.
These comparisons will be interesting to say the least.

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 03:44 PM
The EAR 324 seems to have improved a little after a full day of continuous use. :music:
The owner's manual states that only a minimal break-in period is required. The 324 seems to be getting adjusted to my AC line.(?) :scratch2:
I'll be on the lookout for how much improvement,if any, is noted between now and the time my Argo pickup arrives.
This phono stage is nothing short of amazing! :banana:

MC352
06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Greg,
Congrats on your new Phone Stage, and Happy Anniversary.

I look forward to your in depth reviews as time passes, and the break in period closes.

If it's amazing now, imagine what it will be after break in.

Enjoy!

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Greg,
Congrats on your new Phone Stage, and Happy Anniversary.

I look forward to your in depth reviews as time passes, and the break in period closes.

If it's amazing now, imagine what it will be after break in.

Enjoy!

Thank you Chuck. I'll post any new info as soon as it becomes available.

Masterlu
06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_design/November_2005_logos/coffee_logo_pad.jpg

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_design/November_2005_logos/coffee_logo_pad.jpg

Are you getting one for your vinyl setup?

Masterlu
06-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Too early, right now I'll be happy to see a lumber delivery. ;)

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Too early, right now I'll be happy to see a lumber delivery. ;)

I totally understand. Construction issues can be overwhelming & very frustrating. I experienced quite a bit of that during my complete house remodel in 2007.

markc2
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on 18. Many people never make it that far.

Glad you like the EAR, it's an amazing piece. The Argo should be a big jump too.

Mark

what's digital???? :fireworks:

gregswaim
06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Congratulations on 18. Many people never make it that far.

Glad you like the EAR, it's an amazing piece. The Argo should be a big jump too.

Mark

Thank you Mark.
Yes, I'm hoping that the Argo keep me in vinyl heaven for a long while. While most pickups offer a small to medium improvement, each Lyra on the way up is a big step forward in sound.

gregswaim
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Today my Lyra Argo i MC pickup arrived and was installed by my Linn dealer.
I'll just get to the point regarding sound: Amazing! This pickup is a very big step forward over my previous Linn Adikt MM pickup. Simply put, there is no comparison as the Argo i is in a league of its own.
The sound stage is much wider,noise floor much lower, & dynamics are a whole lot better. :music: :banana:
For those that may be interested, my LP12 can now compete with my MCD500 and in many recordings it actually can best my MCD500 for playback.
Over the last few weeks, I've thinned out a good chunk of my CD collection and have replaced those recording with vinyl copies- better sound!
I now own about 300 LP's, up from 125 LP's only 2 weeks ago. :D

Now that I have added the Argo i, I feel that my vinyl playback setup is complete. I feel very blessed to own 2 really outstanding playback systems,one for digital playback and one for vinyl playback.

For those who are thinking of getting into vinyl- just do it, you'll be glad you did!:yes:

Masterlu
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Matches your blue meters too! ;)

two dot
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Seems like it might be time to move your "main" system over to the vinyl side...

When it comes to serious listening I am about 95% vinyl. I just like it.

My MCD500 is basically a very expensive DAC.

I hate having to buy anything on CD and almost all of my new music comes on vinyl.

Still-One
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Seems like it might be time to move your "main" system over to the vinyl side...

I hate having to buy anything on CD and almost all of my new music comes on vinyl.
:lurk: :lurk:

gregswaim
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Matches your blue meters too! ;)

Right! :D

gregswaim
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM

I've been fortunate to find new releases in CD format to be quite excellent so I still have a strong need for my MCD500. However, many vintage recordings sound better to me in LP format. I don't play digitally recorded records so I'll always get the CD version instead. Either way, both vinyl & digital recordings can be very satisfying so that's why I've changed my signature to show both Digital Playback & Vinyl Playback rather than Main/Second systems as in the past. :)

jdandy
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Greg.......Now it's time to get your preamplifier/amplifier section of your new analog system upgraded to the level of the sources. :yes:

1KW
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Greg.......Now it's time to get your preamplifier/amplifier section of your new analog system upgraded to the level of the sources. :yes:

OMG Dan, spending other peoples money again :yes:

gregswaim
07-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Well, I've added the EAR 324 phono stage- that's a wonder all its own. :music:
The next upgrade option will be the Linn Keel Plate & Ekos SE tonearm followed by the Radikal power supply.
From a amplifier point of view, the MA6500 is very competitive and can hold it's own against most integrated amps with similar power ratings(some costing 2 or 3 times as much as the MA6500) and a large selection of separates, in my opinion.
My view for vinyl playback is a small venue- 120 watts/channel is very adequate for my needs. :yes:

jdandy
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
OMG Dan, spending other peoples money again :yes:

David.......For the past week you have attempted to spend $22K of my money. That's not chicken feed. :D

What I was suggesting to Greg is that the MA6500 is getting a little long in the tooth when compared to current integrated designs. The MA6500 does not incorporate autoformers, no balanced inputs, and has 120 watts output. By comparison, the new MA6600 is 200 watts per channel, manufactured with the latest technolgy in high quality internal components, autoformer coupled, has balanced inputs, and can accept the TM-2 tuner module, which is a nice upgrade, and turns the MA6600 into a full blown McIntosh receiver. The new MA6600 is $6000. Current Trade-Up on the MA6500 is $2625.00, which is more than the current used market value. Greg could trade the MA6500 for the MA6600 for the difference of $3375.00. That is one heck of a deal for a superior integrated amplifier.

From my point of view, my suggesting Greg spend $3375 is not the same thing as you suggesting I spend $22,000. Big difference. BIG. :yes:

Masterlu
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I think I can narrow that gap, Greg... ;)

gregswaim
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
David.......For the past week you have attempted to spend $22K of my money. That's not chicken feed. :D

What I was suggesting to Greg is that the MA6500 is getting a little long in the tooth when compared to current integrated designs. The MA6500 does not incorporate autoformers, no balanced inputs, and has 120 watts output. By comparison, the new MA6600 is 200 watts per channel, manufactured with the latest technolgy in high quality internal components, autoformer coupled, has balanced inputs, and can accept the TM-2 tuner module, which is a nice upgrade, and turns the MA6600 into a full blown McIntosh receiver. The new MA6600 is $6000. Current Trade-Up on the MA6500 is $2625.00, which is more than the current used market value. Greg could trade the MA6500 for the MA6600 for the difference of $3375.00. That is one heck of a deal for a superior integrated amplifier.

From my point of view, my suggesting Greg spend $3375 is not the same thing as you suggesting I spend $22,000. Big difference. BIG. :yes:

My Castle speakers are well mated with my MA6500- more power means speaker upgrades too. Right now I'm getting the most out of them as they are rated at 110 watts/channel and have that "Classic British Monitor Sound" that I really like for vinyl playback. My Spendors are far more neutral than my Castle's in my opinion.
For vinyl playback, I have not noticed a difference in sound when comparing balanced(XLR) and unbalanced(RCA) so I don't think that I would benefit from those areas.
I have not auditioned any of the other current MAC integrated amps so I have no opinion on them. My experience for upgrades has always shown that source upgrades provide the most improvements so that's what I'll stick with.
I'm not sure of the benefit going to a higher powered MAC integrated amp with more features like autoformers.

US Blues
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I think I can narrow that gap, Greg... ;)

With that offer on the table might as well get the MA7000 and be done with it. :smoking:

'cisco
07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Greg......you sure been spinning alot of vinyl lately :thankyouspin: :D

Congrats on your new toys and of course your expanding vinyl collection :yes:

jdandy
07-16-2009, 01:16 PM
My Castle speakers are well mated with my MA6500- more power means speaker upgrades too.

Greg.......Right after the MA6600 goes in, we can begin thinking about some PMC speakers. :yes: :D

gregswaim
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Greg.......Right after the MA6600 goes in, we can begin thinking about some PMC speakers. :yes: :D

:D You don't waste any time with upgrades do you?
I really have not looked at any PMC speakers. The first time I heard about them was through Frank Gow at Audio Classics about 2 1/2 years ago. A bigger amp might be suitable for those type of speakers. :scratch2:

gregswaim
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Greg......you sure been spinning alot of vinyl lately :thankyouspin: :D

Congrats on your new toys and of course your expanding vinyl collection :yes:

Thanks Lavon. It may be time for you make that leap of faith and get into vinyl as well. :yes: Rega has a table under $1K that will surely put a smile on your face. :music:

gregswaim
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
The Argo i is sounding really excellent right now while listening to some classical guitar on LP.
It's hard to say if I'll upgrade the tonearm and add the Linn Keel plate anytime soon or ever, as this pickup breaks in the sound is to die for. :music::yes:
The Argo came with a really neat little stylus brush that seems to work better than my pink eraser. I think that I'll keep using it in dry clean fashion vs with a wet cleaning solution that's also available from Lyra.

'cisco
07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks Lavon. It may be time for you make that leap of faith and get into vinyl as well. :yes: Rega has a table under $1K that will surely put a smile on your face. :music:

:no:.....can you hear me now? :D :bruce:.......cool new smiley

as far as putting a smile on my face.....your avatars does a great job for me there :D

gregswaim
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
:no:.....can you hear me now? :D :bruce:.......cool new smiley

as far as putting a smile on my face.....your avatars does a great job for me there :D

That's cool, but you're really missing out. :yes: