PDA

View Full Version : My Magnepan 1.7 have arrived....

Sperandeo
03-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Six weeks after placing my order, my 1.7's have finally arrived. :banana:

I just unpacked them, put on the stands, and am breaking them in with the Miles Davis Kind of Blue 180g LP. I'm in a bit of shock....I feel like I have lifted off a veil that was on my MMG's.

It still to early for me to really give any real impression. I had to move them further away from the listening position because there is so much more soundstage and volume. What I would normally play at about 52 on my McIntosh C2300 can now be played at 42. I thought this would be the other way around because I have so much more surface on the 1.7's. While I am typing this I keep stopping and looking up in awe over the incredible detail and presence.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/SSperandeo/e3c57607.jpg

More to follow....

jwhite613
03-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Sperandeo... Congratulations!!! Looking forward to more pictures.

JohnK
03-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Sperandeo...great to hear about such a significant improvement straight out of the box! :yes: I guess it was worth the wait! From all reports it seems Magneplanar is really firing on all cylinders with the 1.7 and 3.7.

Rayooo
03-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Congratulations..and I'm glad it see it's not just me who takes a bunch of pictures of the UN-boxing! :D:D:D

Kingsrule
03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Awesome
New speakers are great!

Sperandeo
03-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Here are a few more pictures.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/SSperandeo/db84ef62.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/SSperandeo/6ede1921.jpg

Sperandeo
03-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Wife approved!!!!!

Tonight my wife came down to check out the new addition to the family. When she first saw the 1.7's she said they were lovely. (please note these are not in her living room, they are in a dedicated sound room, so I'm not sure if they would be so lovely if they were in the living room). Then she sat down and had a listen. She knew the MMG's pretty well and when the 1.7's started playing she just sat there shaking her head. Then during a certain moment she just looked at me and said "holy s$&t".
I told her they are still burning in and they will get better, she said "how can they get better than that".

Just before leaving the room she said "good choice, they are spectacular"

It's always a little better when you have wife approval.

Sperandeo
03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
I had the tweeters toward the wall on my initial setup today. I set them up this way because that's how I had my MMG placed. But after reading the Magnepan manual and seeing their suggestion of having the tweeter on the inside, I am loving it this way much better.

Will I ever go to sleep?

f1 fan
03-25-2012, 02:48 AM
I had the tweeters toward the wall on my initial setup today. I set them up this way because that's how I had my MMG placed. But after reading the Magnepan manual and seeing their suggestion of having the tweeter on the inside, I am loving it this way much better.

Will I ever go to sleep?

Beautiful room and system, very relaxing and inviting.

Dave

1KW
03-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Will I ever go to sleep?

Congratulatulations, Maggies are fantastic speakers :thumbsup: I will have to try switching mine so the tweeters are on the inside.

Sperandeo
03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Beautiful room and system, very relaxing and inviting.

Dave

Thanks Dave

chessman
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Sperandeo, congratulations! Beautiful room and great rig. :)

tweet
03-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Sperandeo - Beautiful room and system. Congratulations!

Terry

Sperandeo
03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys. The 1.7's have been on for 24 hours and I am already hearing changes.

chessman
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys. The 1.7's have been on for 24 hours and I am already hearing changes.

Steve, did you sleep at all? :D

bradleyc
03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes, tweeters-inside snaps those panels right into focus, congratulations on a very nice upgrade! The diaphragms take quite a bit of listening time to loosen-up, glad to hear you are enjoying them right out of the box :thumbsup:

mgard
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Sperandeo,

That is great you have your own listening room and it looks really sweet. I have my 1.7's in my living room. I broke the news to my wife this weekend that I am trading up to the 3.7's. I told her about the beautiful cherry wood model that I am getting. Her first comment was are they bigger than the 1.7's. Weeeeellllll maybe a little bigger..... Like the others have said, once you get some hours on the 1.7's the brightness in the upper register will tone down and the bass will start going deeper. It WILL get even better. :D

~Mike

Toobs
03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Here are a few more pictures.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/SSperandeo/db84ef62.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/SSperandeo/6ede1921.jpg

Steve
Congrats on the Maggie 1.7's. They look great:thumbsup: Now for a question.

Do they require an electrical source to activate them, or is it just a matter of connecting the speaker cables and listen away.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I had a pair of Martin Logans that required an electrical source to activate the panels.

JohnK
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Steve
Congrats on the Maggie 1.7's. They look great:thumbsup: Now for a question.

Do they require an electrical source to activate them, or is it just a matter of connecting the speaker cables and listen away.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I had a pair of Martin Logans that required an electrical source to activate the panels.

No such thing sas a dumb question, Bob. Maggies wdo not require AC or electrical source - just connections to the amp(s). Completely different technology. :yes:

jfray
03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
This is a beautiful system and I really like your room! Are those acoustic treatments behind your new 1.7's?

Sperandeo
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
This is a beautiful system and I really like your room! Are those acoustic treatments behind your new 1.7's?

I'm sure the art piece behind the unit adds some treatment. It's made of straw.

Other than that I have a few pieces of Persian carpet pieces on the walls that add some treatment.

audiot servant
03-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Congrats Steve, sweet looking set-up and complete with wife approval :thumbsup: ... look forward to hearing more.

Graham

jfray
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm sure the art piece behind the unit adds some treatment. It's made of straw.

Other than that I have a few pieces of Persian carpet pieces on the walls that add some treatment.

Oh... Very nice! :D

Toobs
03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
No such thing sas a dumb question, Bob. Maggies wdo not require AC or electrical source - just connections to the amp(s). Completely different technology. :yes:

Thanks for the reply John. Now for another question:

Will my ARC VT100(100 wpc)tube amp be enough to power the Maggies?

My local dealer is Maggie authorized and I'm thinking of giving them an audition.

Sperandeo
03-26-2012, 03:42 PM

My local dealer is Maggie authorized and I'm thinking of giving them an audition.

There are many thoughts on that issue. The truth of the matter is Maggies LOVE and NEED power. Which Maggies are you thinking about getting?

I started off with the MMG's and I was running 60WPC and quickly moved up to 110WPC. The 110 wpc was very good, but I could tell the MMG's wanted more. So I eventually purchased a couple of MC1000's and gave the Maggies 1000wpc. This is also when I decided to move up to the 1.7's.

The 1.7 seem very happy married to the MC1000's. (Still burning the 1.7's in)

Toobs
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
There are many thoughts on that issue. The truth of the matter is Maggies LOVE and NEED power. Which Maggies are you thinking about getting?

I started off with the MMG's and I was running 60WPC and quickly moved up to 110WPC. The 110 wpc was very good, but I could tell the MMG's wanted more. So I eventually purchased a couple of MC1000's and gave the Maggies 1000wpc. This is also when I decided to move up to the 1.7's.

The 1.7 seem very happy married to the MC1000's. (Still burning the 1.7's in)

I'm thinking of the 1.7's and if the VT100 can't drive them properly then I'm out of luck. Can't really afford another amp:no:

Sperandeo
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking of the 1.7's and if the VT100 can't drive them properly then I'm out of luck. Can't really afford another amp:no:

Why not try the MMG's first. The come with a 90 day full refund or upgrade path. This way there is no risk on your end. Make sure you love them first.

SundayNiagara
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Remember, I know your room, you may need to re-configure it, but yes, the VT-100 will drive the Maggies nicely.

Toobs
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Remember, I know your room, you may need to re-configure it, but yes, the VT-100 will drive the Maggies nicely.

Mark
I haven't moved my ProAc's in the 14 years I've had them. I don't know how much re-configurig I could do. Do you mean closer together or closer to the wall? Please explain. I think for the price, these speakers are a bargain.

JohnK
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

That's the truth. I had, (still have), old SMG's. I ran them with an 80 wpc hybrid integrated (tube pre, solid state amp). They were OK but never great. Enter a 250 wpc solid state amp and just for fun, I dug the SMGs out of storage in the basement. What a difference!

Not sure about your amp - it would be good to take it to a dealer to audition, or as suggested, try the MMGa's at home. :thumbsup:

Sperandeo
03-27-2012, 12:01 AM
I got a little worried today. I was listening to my 1.7's (3rd day on) and I wasn't crazy about what I was hearing. These things are freaking me out a little, they are changing daily. Out of the box they were a little bright I thought I might have to put on the tweeter resistor (I wasn't crazy about doing that), then the second day they sounded great, this was the day I moved the tweeters on the inside. Then today (day 3) they sounded a little on the dark side, I actually had some time to listen but decided to leave the room. 8 hours later they sound different once again. Very rich and sweet this evening.

I just hope when they stop changing, they end up where I LOVE them.

audiot servant
03-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Steve,

Don't worry, the .7 Maggies are just like all the maggies before them and take plenty of time for the panels to free up and find their voice. They will change fairly much every day and in some ways it becomes a bit of a rollercoaster... the way they settled in my system was they started out really detailed, startling and up front then quickly started to step back in their presentation getting more dark/laid back and deeper staged... then the bass will likely flesh out more an more as they become increasingly revealing, transparent and responsive to positioning and your ancillaries... this will start to become more critical some time in from my experience but at the same time the fact they are becoming more and more revealing makes them easier to optimise... in no time (something like 500 - 600 hrs) they will be everything you remember from your demo and more since they will be in your room with your gear :-) enjoy the ride. I haven't noticed a sound coming from my speakers in so long, it's just the players and the room and nothing plays piano like a Maggie :-)

Graham

Sperandeo
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Steve,

Don't worry, the .7 Maggies are just like all the maggies before them and take plenty of time for the panels to free up and find their voice. They will change fairly much every day and in some ways it becomes a bit of a rollercoaster... the way they settled in my system was they started out really detailed, startling and up front then quickly started to step back in their presentation getting more dark/laid back and deeper staged... then the bass will likely flesh out more an more as they become increasingly revealing, transparent and responsive to positioning and your ancillaries... this will start to become more critical some time in from my experience but at the same time the fact they are becoming more and more revealing makes them easier to optimise... in no time (something like 500 - 600 hrs) they will be everything you remember from your demo and more since they will be in your room with your gear :-) enjoy the ride. I haven't noticed a sound coming from my speakers in so long, it's just the players and the room and nothing plays piano like a Maggie :-)

Graham

Thanks Graham. I guess I need to relax, be patient and enjoy the Magnepan jeorney. :music:

dpod4
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Patience will pay off. My 3.7s started coming into their own around 300 hours. More coherent, imaging stabilized and bass panels kicked in big time. I still use a duelund cast resistor (.6) on the tweeter jumper.

JohnK
03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Wonder if the 1.7s would still get the wife's :thumbsup: if they came with this accessory.

(from Men's Health Tech Guide: Irina Shayk | Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/irina-shayk-best-gear-2012?page=8)

http://cdn2.menshealth.com/sites/default/files/images/slideshow2/1112-irina-magneplanar-speakers.jpg

dpod4
03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Wonder if the 1.7s would still the wife's :thumbsup: if they came with this accessory.

(from Men's Health Tech Guide: Irina Shayk | Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/irina-shayk-best-gear-2012?page=8)

Can't wait to see who they put next to the 20.7s!

klao
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Belated congrats to you, Sperandeo!

I really miss the Maggies' sound; been listening to normal, boxy speakers on loan from my dealer for over half a year now. :(

Sperandeo
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Belated congrats to you, Sperandeo!

I really miss the Maggies' sound; been listening to normal, boxy speakers on loan from my dealer for over half a year now. :(

Are your Maggie's in for repair?

Sperandeo
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Wonder if the 1.7s would still get the wife's :thumbsup: if they came with this accessory.

http://cdn2.menshealth.com/sites/default/files/images/slideshow2/1112-irina-magneplanar-speakers.jpg

OMG!!! What's my wife doing in that picture??? Hehehe

mgard
03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow, maybe I should keep my 1.7's and cancel my 3.7 order. Nawwwwww :D

~Mike

tsv_1
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM

If she told me "this is the proper relative placement for these speakers" (presumably in a soft eastern european accent), I wouldn't even think about arguing with her. I would have other thoughts though :D

Congrats Sperandeo on your new panels :yes:

I've owned a number of different MP models over the years (still have a pair of MG12s around here somewhere) and as othters have said... break-in can be a roller-coaster, but so very worth it.

As an aside, I've since shifted over to Martin Logan (CLX), but will always have a special place in my heart'n'soul for Maggies.

Cheers

klao
03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Are your Maggie's in for repair?

Nope. My dealer misinformed me that they had the 3.7's with the color I wanted in stock, and I decided to sell my 3.6's only to find out later of their mistake. So I have to wait. :(

mgard
03-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Nope. My dealer misinformed me that they had the 3.7's with the color I wanted in stock, and I decided to sell my 3.6's only to find out later of their mistake. So I have to wait. :(

Klao,

That is a real bummer. Do you have any other speakers so you can at least play your music? It has taken about 5 weeks for my 3.7's to be built. I pick them up this Saturday. It's about an hour and 45 minute drive one way to get them which isn't to bad. I have some pipe organ music coming that Julian here on AA recommended. I hope to speed up the break in process. Or at least help it. :yes:

~Mike

klao
03-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Klao,

That is a real bummer. Do you have any other speakers so you can at least play your music? It has taken about 5 weeks for my 3.7's to be built. I pick them up this Saturday. It's about an hour and 45 minute drive one way to get them which isn't to bad. I have some pipe organ music coming that Julian here on AA recommended. I hope to speed up the break in process. Or at least help it. :yes:

~Mike

Indeed, but that dealer already sent me a pair of French-made Triangle speakers to use.

JONERVI
04-15-2012, 10:52 PM

Suddenly I am interested in these speakers.....dunno why :D

JWJW
11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Suddenly I am interested in these speakers.....dunno why :D

Speakers? What speakers?

Bavarian05
11-12-2013, 02:29 AM

My dealer is driving 3.7s with the ARC combo of Ref 5SE and Ref 75. I was very impressed by the sound and how little power they appeared to be using as I watched the meters on the Ref 75 dance. I would be surprised if your ARC didn't drive 1.7s comfortably in a mid sized room. Just my two cents.