PDA

View Full Version : Second System

JSCC
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Have always been wanting to build a second system for my bedroom/study room in my new place.

And the word - Avantgarde had always been a special brand to me. More so, these days, where the usual place I pop by for casual listening happen to carry this brand (and Kondo as well).

So, when told that a LAST piece of the very beautiful, small INTEGRATED amplifier, the Model 3 is available at a special price, I just had to signed off the purchase. Well, I received it - after a full 2 months wait. I had not open it as I am merely waiting it to be transported to my new home (still hunting - for the best price as houses pricing is falling now).

How about speakers? Originally, I was smitten by the Larger Mezzo G2's or at least the Duo Grosso G2's. These new and improved speakers are really do very different from their past brethren of the same stable and model - except the "G2" indicates being the latest models! Because of their size does NOT befit the Bedroom/Study, I had to revisit smaller models.

Not wanting to miss out the "Omega" improvement, I overlooked the UNO G2's, even though they are really good. Anyway, long story short, a pair of very MINT condition Meta Picco, the smaller brother of the PRIMO G2 (use to and just obsolete model) is now available. Cost wise, they are down like 35% off when new (now asking for S$28k). Maybe I'll strike a bargain IF they do sound as good as the Duo Grosso G2's.

Just sharing my PLANS. If anyone had experience in auditioning these META PICCO's, please share your views, good bad or ugly, all welcome. Even if its comments/opinions, well accepted. I will definitely take all of these input before I make the jump.

Oh, the Meridian Reference System will be morph into a full 5.1 HT DIGITAL system when the new place is ready - for the family as well. Till then, it will be STEREO for now. The Dr Feickert TT combo will go into the Bedroom/Study setup.

So, looking forward to feedback. Attached REAL pictures of the said items (extracted from local dealer website) for view. Seriously, they are nice looking isn't it? Not the best, but, very tempting ... :D

cmalak
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Jerry...congrats on the new proposed system. What are the specs on that very cool looking Avantgarde Model 3 integrated amp? I like the looks very much :thumbsup: What happened to your Leben integrated by the way? That would have been a good fit for the Avantgarde speakers, no?

JSCC
03-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Jerry...congrats on the new proposed system. What are the specs on that very cool looking Avantgarde Model 3 integrated amp? I like the looks very much :thumbsup: What happened to your Leben integrated by the way? That would have been a good fit for the Avantgarde speakers, no?

HI CMALAK,

The Leben Integrated was sold to a friend as I was NOT allowed to keep it as it was an "unauthorized purchase". :tears:

This Model 3 is different. My wife loved the looks, so ... plus its the LAST piece. Specs as below: copied from AD's website.

[Specifications
INPUTS 3 x audio (unbalanced)
2 x audio (balanced)

optional (internally configurable):
1 x audio AV-Direct (unbalnced)
(bridging volume potentiometer)
OUTPUTS 1 x record line out (unbalanced)
1 x preamp line out (balanced)
1 x speaker output (stereo)
Signal/noise ratio 86 dB
Power output Class A (2 x 0.4 Watt @ 8 Ohm)
Class AB (2 x 38 Watt @ 8 Ohm)
Max. Power consumption 130 VA
Dimensions (WxDxH) (437 x 425 x 77 mm)
Remote Control Included (volume + mute)
Weight 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg)]

Yes, it is. In fact, their NEW LATEST "X" Series Pre and Power combo is also very good (and lookers too). Build really like a Panzer Tank! Preamp dual mode powered (battery as well as AC ..) and its heavy 41 Kilos. I am NOT going to go there as this Model 3 shall be THE amp.

There's a complete review of the Model 3 at this website: 6moons audio reviews: Avantgarde Acoustic Model 3 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/avantgarde4/model3.html)

Very good review I must add for this small but powerful amplifier to 103db efficient speakers. And the Meta Picco from the same company is definitely a good match. Review link: http://www.highfidelity.pl/!ev/artykuly/09_11_2006/picco.html

Cheers!

psjl
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Jerry.....Congrats on your new acquisition!......The horns will look really cool in your study!......Philip

JSCC
03-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Jerry.....Congrats on your new acquisition!......The horns will look really cool in your study!......Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks. I am seeking opinion as have NOT bought the speakers yet. Think I would negotiate a better price IF I go for it. The amp I had it in the house already.
By the way, for the past 2 weekends, I was at The Adelphi. Tried calling you BUT could not make contact. You coming down this weekend for a golf game? If so, I'll make time as this week, I am free from chauffeur duties after 2 pm.

Cheers!

psjl
03-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi Philip,

Thanks. I am seeking opinion as have NOT bought the speakers yet. Think I would negotiate a better price IF I go for it. The amp I had it in the house already.
By the way, for the past 2 weekends, I was at The Adelphi. Tried calling you BUT could not make contact. You coming down this weekend for a golf game? If so, I'll make time as this week, I am free from chauffeur duties after 2 pm.

Cheers!

Jerry,

I heard the Avantgarde TRIO once sometime ago and boy were they super fast! Other than that, I don't have much experience with Avantgarde speakers. I've always admired the looks of Avantgarde speakers, but sadly, my wife would shoot me if I ever did decide to bring a pair home! :smileyshot22:

How big will your study be? I'm no expert on horns, but I would think they'ed need enough 'space' to breathe?

Believe it or not, I actually have a Nakamichi SoundSpace 8 in my study now, but have been eyeing the McIntosh MXA60 for a quite sometime. Can't go for anything bigger as my study is not very large.

If I could shoehorn in a pair of floor-standers in my study, I'ed do it in a heartbeat! :yes:

BTW, too bad Howie, yourself and I couldn't meet on your last trip to Hong Kong on 17/18-Feb, and hopefully next time we will be able to on your next trip down.

Anyway, I'll be back down in Singapore sometime in Jun/Jul-2012 to visit family as well as catch a couple of rounds of golf, and will definitely look you up then! :)

Philip

howiebrou
03-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Jerry,

NIce choice of speakers! I have not heard that particular pair but Avantgarde make excellent speakers as you know all too well.

They will make a great second system

JSCC
03-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Jerry,

I heard the Avantgarde TRIO once sometime ago and boy were they super fast! Other than that, I don't have much experience with Avantgarde speakers. I've always admired the looks of Avantgarde speakers, but sadly, my wife would shoot me if I ever did decide to bring a pair home! :smileyshot22:

How big will your study be? I'm no expert on horns, but I would think they'ed need enough 'space' to breathe?

Believe it or not, I actually have a Nakamichi SoundSpace 8 in my study now, but have been eyeing the McIntosh MXA60 for a quite sometime. Can't go for anything bigger as my study is not very large.

If I could shoehorn in a pair of floor-standers in my study, I'ed do it in a heartbeat! :yes:

BTW, too bad Howie, yourself and I couldn't meet on your last trip to Hong Kong on 17/18-Feb, and hopefully next time we will be able to on your next trip down.

Anyway, I'll be back down in Singapore sometime in Jun/Jul-2012 to visit family as well as catch a couple of rounds of golf, and will definitely look you up then! :)

Philip

Unless I have a big house like Howie, the study would be like a small bedroom. The issue would be whether I could "merge" the Master bedroom with this smaller one ... then build a wall shelve (books and ... :D), put a table and chair, presto, study room!:D

These are small Avantgarde Meta Picco speakers, so can, if I can bluff my way thru, installed them into the "study/cum Bedroom".

Till then, all in the drawing board. Also need to look for the right timing and "feng shui" to sell the bluff to my wife.

I wil look forward to your next visit then. Maybe I will visit HK sometime in late April in my next round of business in Korea and Dongguan.

Cheers!

Elberoth
03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Jerry - just make sure they will fit into your room. In my experience Avangarde speakers shine in big spaces, and sound rather disjointed in smaller rooms. Those horns just do not integrate properly and can be a big let down in smaller spaces.

psjl
03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Unless I have a big house like Howie, the study would be like a small bedroom. The issue would be whether I could "merge" the Master bedroom with this smaller one ... then build a wall shelve (books and ... :D), put a table and chair, presto, study room!:D

These are small Avantgarde Meta Picco speakers, so can, if I can bluff my way thru, installed them into the "study/cum Bedroom".

Till then, all in the drawing board. Also need to look for the right timing and "feng shui" to sell the bluff to my wife.

I wil look forward to your next visit then. Maybe I will visit HK sometime in late April in my next round of business in Korea and Dongguan.

Cheers!

Jerry,

Compared to you guys in Singapore, I'm pretty sure guys like Howie and me live in comparative "match boxes" over here in Hong Kong! :D

I took a look at the specs of the Avantgarde Meta Picco (http://www.jazz-audio.com/pdf/equipos/PICCO_0_117.pdf), and at 85kg per speaker, it weighs almost as much as the Wilson Sasha W/P speaker (89.36kg).......Damn!.....That's one heavy mother! Also, at 500mm (w) x 560mm (d) x 1,255mm (h), it's also larger than the Sasha W/P (355.6mm x 539.1mm x 1117.6mm)!

Sounds like a good idea to "merge" your smaller room with your Master bedroom, and let's face it, you've very successfully managed to "bluff" your way through all your many gear acquisitions these many years with your wife, so it'll be a walk in the park to just tell her that "Honey, I simply want to make the master bedroom bigger for YOU, my sweet little pea!! :D".

The other thing is, I can totally relate to the "feng shui" thingy, cause' my wife is an absolute nut when it comes to "feng shui". She knows that I think that this is an absolute waste of money (yes, I think ALL "feng shui" masters are shysters in disguise), and I really get irritated whenever I come home at night and find new "trinkets" positioned in silly locations (or furniture moved around), then I know the "feng shui" master has been visiting the home. I think my wife's business alone can sustain him comfortably (I mean she even sends him to Malaysia/Singapore to do yearly "updates" for her family as well.....GEEZ!!), so with all his other "disciples", he must be making an absolute killing, and is probably living better than me! :grumpy:

Sorry for getting all riled up, but man, this "feng shui" thing really does eat me up! :confused-12:

On a much happier note, if you do swing by Hong Kong in April, do give me a shout!

Philip

psjl
03-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Jerry - just make sure they will fit into your room. In my experience Avangarde speakers shine in big spaces, and sound rather disjointed in smaller rooms. Those horns just do not integrate properly and can be a big let down in smaller spaces.

Adam......That's my understanding as well......but if Jerry can successfully sell to his wife the idea of "merging" his adjacent smaller room into his much larger master bedroom, I think it might just be enough space to allow the Avantgarde Meta Picco's to breathe......Philip

Whart
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I have a pair of Duos, which may not be a good basis for comparison, but i will tell you that the AV horns are not meant for a nearfield listening experience. I have an ancient pair of Quad ESLs, long retired from active service, that I plan to send to Wayne Piquet for restoration when I move (and have him ship them to my new location). Those would make a dandy bedroom system, since part of the trick is hearing lot's of info at fairly low volume levels, something the old ESL is quite good at. That sweet little AV amp you bought might work with the Quads, I don't know. Then again, what's the source? Vinyl in the bedroom?
Lotta work. My experience with the AV speakers is that they are ruthlessly unforgiving of everything upstream. BTW, this is my first post here, so be kind. :)

JSCC
03-30-2012, 02:57 AM
I have a pair of Duos, which may not be a good basis for comparison, but i will tell you that the AV horns are not meant for a nearfield listening experience. I have an ancient pair of Quad ESLs, long retired from active service, that I plan to send to Wayne Piquet for restoration when I move (and have him ship them to my new location). Those would make a dandy bedroom system, since part of the trick is hearing lot's of info at fairly low volume levels, something the old ESL is quite good at. That sweet little AV amp you bought might work with the Quads, I don't know. Then again, what's the source? Vinyl in the bedroom?
Lotta work. My experience with the AV speakers is that they are ruthlessly unforgiving of everything upstream. BTW, this is my first post here, so be kind. :)

Yes, the TT will be moved form current MAIN system. :tears:

I liked the DUO's, especially the DUO Grosso G2 / DUO Mezzo G2 or even the top DUO Primo G2. Of course, the size of these speakers are imposing and would vie for a place as the MAIN system. :thumbsup:

I have heard the DUO Grosso G2 in small listening space and though their looks is a little over powering (especially the mid-horn), it did not give me the impression its any lesser in "singing" at its best! But for looks, the Uno Meta Picco box look is more a WAF. :thumbsup:

If the Meridian was not that good, I would have ditch it now and go for the Duo Mezzo or Primo and work on the rest. Naughty me! :D

jwhite613
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Whart... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

cmalak
03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Whart...welcome to AA :wave:

Whart
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
dude, thanks. I couldn't figure out why i couldn't post an intro thread until admin informed me that i am on probation unless i subscribe. Looks like I know a few folks over here, from the 'Gon and elsewhere. I just wanted to get a feel for the place before I subscribed- those NOS tube prices have left me impoverished!
Good to be here (hear)?
I'll fill you in on what I'm up to in the introductory section when I can
Best,
Bill Hart