PDA

View Full Version : Cj gat

dpod4
02-05-2012, 04:58 PM
As I wish after a GAT, 2 questions for GAT aficionados:

1. Is the GAT point to point hand wired? Could not find this out anywhere online.
2. For owners, what other preamps did you audition and what made you settle on GAT??

Coppy
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM

1. Is the GAT point to point hand wired? Could not find this out anywhere online.
2. For owners, what other preamps did you audition and what made you settle on GAT??

Hi dpod4...

The GAT and in fact all c-j gear is hand wired. And, hand burned in and tested. If it's made at their VA factory, that's the only way they do things. This is based on many visits there to see the process. Made in the USA and part of the cost as well.

I'm a long time c-j owner and each product has been better than the last. So, for me, the GAT was a natural upgrade from the ACT2 S2. And what a wonderful improvement.

Enjoy the upgrade process...

Puma Cat
02-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Darrin,
All C-J products are hand-assembled, and the wiring that is used internally is assembled and soldered point to point, but C-J does use circuit boards in their products, so it is not "point to point" wiring per the commonly accepted as the definition of the term. Your Premier 350 also has circuit boards inside, as do ARC, Burmester, Soulution, TAD, DarTZeel, etc...that is, the best-sounding gear in the world all use boards...so there is no correlation with point to point or boards and sound quality.

dpod4
02-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Darrin,
All C-J products are hand-assembled, and the wiring that is used internally is assembled and soldered point to point, but C-J does use circuit boards in their products, so it is not "point to point" wiring per the commonly accepted as the definition of the term. Your Premier 350 also has circuit boards inside, as do ARC, Burmester, Soulution, TAD, DarTZeel, etc...that is, the best-sounding gear in the world all use boards...so there is no correlation with point to point or boards and sound quality.

Thanks!

microstrip
02-06-2012, 07:44 AM

conrad johnson units are not point to point wired - it would not be possible, as their power supplies use many high quality components and its implementation is complex, and they mix solid state components of little size and tubes .

They use high quality PCBs and hand solder all the components using high quality solder - not wave soldering. In the top preamplifiers the PCBs are mounted using small anti-shock isolation devices to avoid mechanical vibrations - a classical problem of PCBs and tubes.

Rafale
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Darrin,
I bought the GAT without listening to it.... there was no available unit in listening in France in this time, it was the natural upgrade for me after the already fabulous CT5....

Coppy
02-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Darrin,

I'm sure you have seen the review of the GAT and ART monos in TAS a month or two ago. I think it was Valin who concluded the GAT is as good a pre as he's yet heard. And that would be most of the best... this from a guy who likes SS pinpoint accuracy and Magico speakers. Quite a complement.

Bob

dpod4
02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Darrin,

I'm sure you have seen the review of the GAT and ART monos in TAS a month or two ago. I think it was Valin who concluded the GAT is as good a pre as he's yet heard. And that would be most of the best... this from a guy who likes SS pinpoint accuracy and Magico speakers. Quite a complement.

Bob

I am drooling.

turntable
02-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Go for it.

I went GAT after my beloved ART3's. I was a bit nervous in making the move. very good move. Everything is better however it still makes most music sound beautiful which as we know is a cj trait.

dpod4
02-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Go for it.

I went GAT after my beloved ART3's. I was a bit nervous in making the move. very good move. Everything is better however it still makes most music sound beautiful which as we know is a cj trait.

I think I will!

dpod4
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Good news. Sold some gear so looks like I will be able to pick up a GAT. Any recommendations on interconnect between GAT and Pr350?

Myles B. Astor
02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Was just having this conversation with someone else today :) Here's what I'm going to suggest. First, I find that the best sound seems to occur when you use IC/speaker/PC (?) from the same company, rather than mixing and matching. Two, my experience is that the MIT Oracle sounds the best but it is hideously expensive. Other cables that I've liked are the Transparent Ref. MM2 and at slightly less cost, the Kubala-Sosna Emotion (haven't heard the Elation here save for a length of PC).

One thing that I'd strongly suggest if you get the GAT is also ordering a SRA Isobase to put under the unit. The improvement is not subtle and in fact was greater in my system than under the phono or amplifiers.

dpod4
02-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Was just having this conversation with someone else today :) Here's what I'm going to suggest. First, I find that the best sound seems to occur when you use IC/speaker/PC (?) from the same company, rather than mixing and matching. Two, my experience is that the MIT Oracle sounds the best but it is hideously expensive. Other cables that I've liked are the Transparent Ref. MM2 and at slightly less cost, the Kubala-Sosna Emotion (haven't heard the Elation here save for a length of PC).

One thing that I'd strongly suggest if you get the GAT is also ordering a SRA Isobase to put under the unit. The improvement is not subtle and in fact was greater in my system than under the phono or amplifiers.

Thanks. I have an SRA custom base for my VAC preamp which I think is the same basic dimensions so I will either have SRA reconfigure for the GAT, or will sell the SRA with the VAC and buy a new SRA.

dpod4
02-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Just did Google search and couldn't come up with answer to following question. Please help if you own a GAT...

What fuse(s) does the GAT use? I am going to place an order for some HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses and want to get one that will work in the GAT. Thanks!

dpod4
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Just did Google search and couldn't come up with answer to following question. Please help if you own a GAT...

What fuse(s) does the GAT use? I am going to place an order for some HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses and want to get one that will work in the GAT. Thanks!

Just spoke to Ed at CJ and got the specs on 3 fuses so I am good. Cheers.

Myles B. Astor
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Out of curiosity, what are the values?

Thanks!

joeinid
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Are you going to keep it a secret? :D

Rafale
02-21-2012, 03:44 PM
GAT fuse values

configured 100 or 120 V :
F1 3/4 Amp, slow blow
F2 1/2 Amp, fast blow
F3 T800 mAmp, slow blow

F1 located nearest the back panel
F2 nearest the front panel
F3 in a tray part of the IEC power line corrector

Rafale
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
sorry, IEC connector

dpod4
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry - here they are.

GAT fuses -
1. 3AG 3/4 slow blow (30mm fuse)

2. control fuse 3AG 1/2 amp fast blow - Ed said this is outside the circuit so would not impact audio at all do not worth replacing.

3. Fuse near IEC power connecter - 20mm 800ma slo blow

So I am ordering HiFi Tuning Supremes for #1 & 3.

Darrin

Coppy
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Myles,

It's someone else here. In your experience with MIT, is it worth the money for the improvement in sound to upgrade from Magnum M1 IC & Speaker to a medium grade of Oracle?

Thanks,
Bob