PDA

View Full Version : Magnepans, what tweaks have you tried?

mgard
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry for peppering you guys with so many questions. I will lay off after this thread. I was wondering what tweaks you recommend to try with Magnepan speakers. What have you tried that has made a positive difference in the sound? I just finished reading the 3.7 attenuation thread again. There is lots of good information there. Still not clear what you do when the resistors are pulled back out.

~Mike

Rayooo
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
on my 3.6s I had done quite a number of small tweaks.

One was the installation of massive heavy steel custom spiked feet.
I know many swear by these kinds of stiffening tweaks. I also experimented with panel stiffening, I neither case could I actually swear by any real improvement other than the initial fascination.

I'd made quite a few wiring tweaks to the external crossovers on the 3.6s with overall some small amount of improvement achieved.

On my 3.7s, the only things I've done is replace the stock fuses with those expensive fancy ones everyone talks about. I guess a cheap enough tweak that can't hurt.

If one runs any attenuation resistors, in my opinion, pretty significant improvements can be had with better resistors. I use the Duelund Cast and I felt they made an immediate significant improvement. :D

Other than the fuses and Duelund resistors, my 3.7s are bone stock and sound simply wonderful. The 3.6s with every tweak I'd made, could not touch the stock 3.7s.
It took me around 10 months of break-in to realize this. :yes:

mgard
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
On my 3.7s, the only things I've done is replace the stock fuses with those expensive fancy ones everyone talks about. I guess a cheap enough tweak that can't hurt.

If one runs any attenuation resistors, in my opinion, pretty significant improvements can be had with better resistors. I use the Duelund Cast and I felt they made an immediate significant improvement. :D

Other than the fuses and Duelund resistors, my 3.7s are bone stock and sound simply wonderful. The 3.6s with every tweak I'd made, could not touch the stock 3.7s.
It took me around 10 months of break-in to realize this. :yes:

Wow now that is impressive on how good the 3.7's really are. :yes: Now pardon my ignorance but the resistors you are talking about, do they replace those u shaped aluminum (or what ever they are) jumpers in the back? Different ones have mentioned swapping those out with something else.

Rayooo
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow now that is impressive on how good the 3.7's really are. :yes: Now pardon my ignorance but the resistors you are talking about, do they replace those u shaped aluminum (or what ever they are) jumpers in the back? Different ones have mentioned swapping those out with something else.

Yup, exactly. In my case, Instead of those U shaped jumpers, I have a .5 ohm resistor for the tweeter..and a jumper on the mid-range...WHICH reminds me of another tweak. Most people recommend replacing those U shaped jumpers with something else. a real easy low cost tweak that can't hurt. I use Cardas, but there are many other good choices including making your own.

whether to use jumpers on both tweeter and mid-range as opposed to a possible tweeter attenuator, is essentially a personal preference thing. I'd installed the .5 ohm resistor early on with the tweeter and other than replacing the stock with the Deulund, I've not looked back. Every now and then I think about removing the resistor and going with no attenuator, but just never get around to it.

dpod4
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Yup, exactly. In my case, Instead of those U shaped jumpers, I have a .5 ohm resistor for the tweeter..and a jumper on the mid-range...WHICH reminds me of another tweak. Most people recommend replacing those U shaped jumpers with something else. a real easy low cost tweak that can't hurt. I use Cardas, but there are many other good choices including making your own.

whether to use jumpers on both tweeter and mid-range as opposed to a possible tweeter attenuator, is essentially a personal preference thing. I'd installed the .5 ohm resistor early on with the tweeter and other than replacing the stock with the Deulund, I've not looked back. Every now and then I think about removing the resistor and going with no attenuator, but just never get around to it.

+1
Replaced tweeter U pin jumper with Deulund Cast resistor .6 ohm. Replaced midrange U pin jumper with custom empirical designs jumper (I have cardas Maggie jumper and prefer open fast sound of Empirical Design). I replaced stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses. All very worthwhile and noticeable tweaks.

McPlanar
02-05-2012, 02:26 AM
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record. :smoking:

Magnestand - Where Maggies Live And Breathe (http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html)

ehoove
02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Where to start? Complete wood frame (Maple) rebuild with bracing. internal rewire with solid core silver wire set up for tri-amping. Replaced fuse holders with Silver plated ones and installed Hi-Fi tuning fuses. Replaced the Magnapan Binding posts and installed Gold plated heavy 3 way posts. White with cherry trim BTW

Regards,
Jim

McPlanar
02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
:thumbsup: Very nice! Thin speakers are very COOL. :thumbsup:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/martin-logan-magnepan/15095d1328443437-magnepans-what-tweaks-have-you-tried-user4960_pic8698_1295802765.jpg

dpod4
02-05-2012, 02:39 PM
:thumbsup: Very nice! Thin speakers are very COOL. :thumbsup:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/martin-logan-magnepan/15095d1328443437-magnepans-what-tweaks-have-you-tried-user4960_pic8698_1295802765.jpg

Beautiful....love the monochromatic look with a hint of wood. You should work for Magnepan!

mgard
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Where to start? Complete wood frame (Maple) rebuild with bracing. internal rewire with solid core silver wire set up for tri-amping. Replaced fuse holders with Silver plated ones and installed Hi-Fi tuning fuses. Replaced the Magnapan Binding posts and installed Gold plated heavy 3 way posts. White with cherry trim BTW

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

Your living room is very tastefully done. That camera of yours sure takes nice clear pictures. That is quite the overhual you performed on your speakers. I think you win the upgrade prize. :D

McPlanar,

Thank you for the link. Those Maggies look like fine furniture. Very interesting reading. I am getting very excited with the thought of upgrading to 3.7s. I still can't make up my mind what finish to get. I am going to try the resistors that were mentioned and the Cardas jumpers. Then there are those custom fuses... Thank you everyone for your input.

~Mike