PDA

View Full Version : Set Up Turntable Today

jdandy
06-12-2009, 08:37 PM
All this talk lately about turntables and cartridges has rekindled my vinyl interest to some degree, so I spent my time with the studio McIntosh system today, where my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable is installed. I rounded up the stylus force gauge, the overhang gauge, the tangent scale, a small mirror for alignment, and proceeded to set up my cartridges and tonearm properly. The effort paid tremendous dividends, and I am still in the studio enjoying one album after another. I just finished listening to Hiroshima (Original Master Recording) of their first album. Fantastic performances.

Let me back up just a bit. Neither of my moving magnet cartridges were set up properly. The stylus overhang was correct on both, but the tangent geometry adjustments were way off, as was the alignment of both cartridges. Each cartridge requires a different adjustment to the tone arm for VTA as well, and the arm was not set properly for either cartridge.

One cartridge is the Signet TK9eA, a hand built, boron cantilever, nude eliptical diamond tip cartridge with less than 250 hours on it. The other cartridge is a Shure V15VxMR, boron cantilever, nude micro-ridge diamond tip with less than 50 hours on it. Both cartridges are very good sounding, excellent tracking cartridges.

I set up the Signet first, correcting the tangent adjustment to the two spots on the Shure gauge, and rechecked the cartridge stylus tip overhang adjustment, which was correct. I adjusted the cartridge body and head shell for proper alignment with the small mirror, set the tracking force using the Shure Stylus Force Gauge, and adjusted the vertical tracking angle on the tone arm. OK, time to see if I can hear a difference from before the adjustments. I put the Windham Hill record of Shadowfax, their first album, on the turntable. It's still spotlessly clean from being stored in a poly inner sleeve with the opening for the sleeve always inside the album cover, and of course, Last treated. I lowered the stylus to the vinyl, turned up the C2300 volume control, and sat down on the couch. My first thought was this is good music, very clean, great dynamics and seperation. I was glued to my seat for the whole side of the album, then flipped it over and listened to the entire side two. There was an amazing difference coming from my cartridge and speakers over the last time I listened to this turntable. The meticulous attention to detail that I paid today was rewarded in spades. I can't remember hearing the Signet TK9eA ever sound better.

I repeated the entire setup process for the Shure V15VxMR cartridge, including a different VTA setting for the tone arm, and different tracking force adjustment. Each cartridge took about 30 minutes of tinkering to get everything perfect, and the VTA on the tone arm set properly, but I enjoyed every minute of it. It was a pleasure to be in my own space, undisturbed, playing with my toys. When everything was right with the Shure V15VxMR I replayed the Shadowfax album. Wow. The Shure cartridge is a stellar performer. I am so happy I have this cartridge. It has been well reviewed in the past, and truly earns all of the accolades it has received. The bottom is rich and tight, well defined midrange, and pristine top end with plenty of air. The channel seperation seems much greater than the specification numbers seem to allow. It is an excellent cartridge. I pray I never damage the stylus tip. They are no longer available anywhere. The last Shure factory stylus replacement I saw for this cartridge was $600.00, and they are long gone.

I completed the turntable and cartridge adjustment work about 3:30 PM, and I am still in the studio, still spinning vinyl, and enjoying the heck out of it. I am reacquainting myself with the ritual of getting up every 15 minutes or so to lift the arm from the lead out groove, turning the album over, set the cartridge back on the lead in groove. There's no skipping to the next track from the couch, either. Man, am I spoiled. This is the old days, and it feels quite comfortable, and comforting at the same time. I now remember why albums were such fun to share with friends. It's because you had an opportunity to discuss what you were just listening to every 15 minutes or so, as you either flipped the album over , or decided what the next disc would be. This interlude never happens with music servers, and is much farther apart with CD's. Talking with friends a little between sides was fun. It's all coming back to me now.

My Micro Seiki is doing a fine job of spinning vinyl, and now that I put forth the effort to accurately set up the cartridges and the arm, the sound is very good, very analog, and very enjoyable. I think I am back into vinyl again. :yes:

gregswaim
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds like you had fun today Dan. :music:

jdandy
06-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Greg.......I did. Heck, I'm still in the studio, still spinning vinyl. I skipped dinner. I'll eat something later. I'm having too much fun to stop. :thumbsup:

gregswaim
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Greg.......I did. Heck, I'm still in the studio, still spinning vinyl. I skipped dinner. I'll eat something later. I'm having too much fun to stop. :thumbsup:

I know the feeling! ;)

1KW
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Good for you Dan . Variety is the spice of life :D

jdandy
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
David........You bet. I am still down in the studio. Spinning Larry Carlton right now, and sounding very good. Looks like your AT cartridge will get a new stylus.

80B
06-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Dan,
Great post! Got a storm coming, so I'm shutting down. Enjoy!

1KW
06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I am playing the Dave Mathews Band's new album on Rhapsody-Big Whiskey and GrooGrux king. It is well recorded, I am going to pick it up at Barnes and Noble on LP.

jdandy
06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I am going to listen to the 150 albums I presently own before I decided to purchase any new vinyl. I'm still getting back into the groove, so to speak.

PHC1
06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Dan, I know what you mean, I've been in the same vinyl heaven for the past week myself. I hope that my recent posts have inspired some members here to either rediscover or at least think about exploring the whole other world of vinyl. I know I am enjoying the whole experience greatly.

A properly setup cartridge will make a huge difference as everything else does with analog playback. The Shure V15VxMR is legendary in its own right. :yes:

I'm glad you dialed yours in to perfection, so now you can sit back and open up the window to the past as you rediscover the music stored on your old vinyl friends with the shiny grooves. :thumbsup:

gregswaim
06-12-2009, 11:02 PM
My new LP collection is only 125 LP's. I had to limit myself otherwise I'll go overboard with way too many and not enough room to store them all properly.

jdandy
06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, I just shut off the turntable. I have been hold up in the studio since about 2:00 PM. I'm getting hungry, so I am going upstairs for a snack. What a blast today has been. Spending time with the turntable was like visiting an old friend. You never forget how to hanlde the albums, or the tonearm. I have done it for so many years, it is second nature.

Now that the V15VxMR is set up properly, I am excited to get into the rest of my vinyl collection, small though it is. I am more than impressed at the quality of sound I heard today. I am looking forward to more.

'cisco
06-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Wow Dan.....What a great write-up on your TT experience today :yes:

You brought back some old memories of what I went thru when I had a tt many years ago. I believe it was a Dual...don't remember the model number :scratch2: It's something that I don't want to do again....unless I had a designated record changer,cleaner,tonearm person. :D...just call me lazy :yes:

Thanks to you and Serge for all the nostalgic memories :thumbsup:

Like one of our AA members "Basite" would say....."Keep them spinning"

MC352
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Dan, nice to see you having fun spinning up some vinyl.

I have been spinning almost every night since I got the new TT.

It's a lot of fun.

jdandy
06-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow Dan.....What a great write-up on your TT experience today :yes:

You brought back some old memories of what I went thru when I had a tt many years ago. I believe it was a Dual...don't remember the model number :scratch2: It's something that I don't want to do again....unless I had a designated record changer,cleaner,tonearm person. :D...just call me lazy :yes:

Thanks to you and Serge for all the nostalgic memories :thumbsup:

Like one of our AA members "Basite" would say....."Keep them spinning"

'cisco.......Thank you. Spinning albums brings back many pleasant memories for me. From the late 1960's to around 1983 it was all vinyl, reel to reel, and just beginneing to get into cassette with the purchase of a Nakamichi 480 deck in '82. Albums were the mainstay for 90% of my listening. I have had five different turntables in my history, the first a Dual 1019 with the ol' trusty Shure V15 type II cartridge. At the time, 1968, I considered that top shelf. It wasn't, of course, but hey, I was young and dumb. There was another Dual (can't remember the model), a Pioneer, a Philips, and the Micro Seiki that I still own, and love. Getting back into vinyl is a lot of fun. Wish I still had my old 1200 album collection. Most all of that vinyl collection was purchased at Tower Records, the big store in San Francisco down by the Wharf (long gone), and at Music Millennium in Portland, Oregon (still there). The good ol' days, when albums ruled, and cost $5.00. We won't be seeing that again.

'cisco
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
'cisco....... Most all of that vinyl collection was purchased at Tower Records, the big store in San Francisco down by the Wharf (long gone),

Ahh...Dan,I remember that Tower Records very well...kind of a busy corner,traffic wise but a great store. Close to my old High School and a great club called "Bimbo's"...saw Smokey Robinson a couple of times there.

btw... all you vinyl lubbers out there....when I was into the black disc many years ago...I had problems with warp records,maybe 2 out of 10....How are you handling this nuance or has the problem gone away? My cartridge would get sea sick all the time :dazed-7: Then of course I would have to make a return trip back to the store for an exchange :icon_thumbsdown: This is one of many reasons I'm staying away from vinyl....

gregswaim
06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Ahh...Dan,I remember that Tower Records very well...kind of a busy corner,traffic wise but a great store. Close to my old High School and a great club called "Bimbo's"...saw Smokey Robinson a couple of times there.

btw... all you vinyl lubbers out there....when I was into the black disc many years ago...I had problems with warp records,maybe 2 out of 10....How are you handling this nuance or has the problem gone away? My cartridge would get sea sick all the time :dazed-7: Then of course I would have to make a return trip back to the store for an exchange :icon_thumbsdown: This is one of many reasons I'm staying away from vinyl....

You should have tried other record stores, I seldom ever came home with a warped record. These days I buy only used and of course it's a real analog recording and not a digitally recorded LP. ;)

MC352
06-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Cisco,
Years ago many of us who played vinyl didn't store it properly. Typically mine would be strewn all over the place. Especially after having a few friends over for the night. Now the LP's are stored upright, fairly tightly packed, and put away after listening.
I haven't had an issue with a warped record in a long while.

Come back to vinyl, you'll love it.

jdandy
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
I had problems with warp records,maybe 2 out of 10....This is one of many reasons I'm staying away from vinyl....

'cisco.......I understand completely. Record warp is a true blight on the medium. The majority of new album warpage is due to mishandling the cases of albums, either at the pressing plant, the wholesaler, or the store. Often, cases of new albums would be haphazardly stacked under record bins at a store. Vinyl is heavy. Improper storage takes its toll.

Buying brand new vinyl, my ratio of flat albums verses warpped albums was typically 3 out of ten, occasionally higher. I purchased more than 700 albums at Music Millenium in Portland, Oregon over a period of years. I got so tired of driving back over to the Burnside store to return a brand new warpped album, I began having the albums opened in the store, placed on the stores turntable, and spun (not played) to insure they were flat before I left the store. I refused to accept warpped vinyl. To Music Millenium's credit, they always accommodated me, although sometimes certain store clerks would develope a bit of an attitude. Once this ritual of me opening the albums in the store became commonplace, they began to expect it from me, and eased up. Either way, I went home with flat vinyl.

'cisco
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Gregg.....sorry but I've tried other record stores as well :sigh:

MC352.....Come back to vinyl? .....not likely to happen :no:

Dan....thanks for the explanation about vinyl storage :yes:
I guess when you enter that Music Millenium store all the employees would say out loud in unison...Dan ....just like "Cheers" :D

jdandy
06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Dan....thanks for the explanation about vinyl storage :yes:
I guess when you enter that Music Millenium store all the employees would say out loud in unison...Dan ....just like "Cheers" :D

'cisco.......Not exactly. Under their breath it was more like, "Here comes that perfectionist a**hole again. I wonder how many albums we'll have to open for him today?" And under my breath, "Screw 'em, I'm the customer. I want what I'm paying for." :D

two dot
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Dan, what happened to all of that vinyl???

'cisco.......I understand completely. Record warp is a true blight on the medium. The majority of new album warpage is due to mishandling the cases of albums, either at the pressing plant, the wholesaler, or the store. Often, cases of new albums would be haphazardly stacked under record bins at a store. Vinyl is heavy. Improper storage takes its toll.

Buying brand new vinyl, my ratio of flat albums verses warpped albums was typically 3 out of ten, occasionally higher. I purchased more than 700 albums at Music Millenium in Portland, Oregon over a period of years. I got so tired of driving back over to the Burnside store to return a brand new warpped album, I began having the albums opened in the store, placed on the stores turntable, and spun (not played) to insure they were flat before I left the store. I refused to accept warpped vinyl. To Music Millenium's credit, they always accommodated me, although sometimes certain store clerks would develope a bit of an attitude. Once this ritual of me opening the albums in the store became commonplace, they began to expect it from me, and eased up. Either way, I went home with flat vinyl.