PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan Finishes, what did you get?

mgard
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I was wondering what finishes did everyone get on their Magnepans. My current 1.7's have black cloth and silver sides. Has anyone seen the cherry wood finish? Are the metal sides more ridged than the wood? I wondering what finish to go with on the 3.7's when I upgrade. Black cloth and silver powder coat or black cloth and cherry wood.

~Mike

dpod4
02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
I bought black cloth and aluminum trim for 2 reasons:

1. I think Maggies in light trim and cloth can look kind of old fashioned. The black and aluminum freshened up the look and made it look more tech/contempory
2. Most importantly I read in multiple places that the aluminum was more rigid an stable and even Magnepan commented to it being better performing material by a small margin for intended purpose.

If I trade up to 20.7s I am getting black on black.

McPlanar
02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess I cheated since I had more choices through Peter at Magnestand when I bought my MG12 QR pair. These are in framed in Sepele with a clear finish. The second two shots are closer to the real color. :D

http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Music/music/i-nhpJMxV/0/M/P1000005-M.jpg http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Music/music/i-NQX9jnK/0/M/P8211488-M.jpg http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Music/music/i-DqXHMkM/0/M/P1000185-M.jpg

Now my MG1 (IMP) that I bought in 1983 are in dark oak and my MG1.5s are in a light oak. I don't like how they have got away from the wood frames. :no: Now you just get a little sliver of wood trim on them. :sigh:

dpod4
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
I guess I cheated since I had more choices through Peter at Magnestand when I bought my MG12 QR pair. These are in framed in Sepele with a clear finish. The second two shots are closer to the real color. :D

Now my MG1 (IMP) that I bought in 1983 are in dark oak and my MG1.5s are in a light oak. I don't like how they have got away from the wood frames. :no: Now you just get a little sliver of wood trim on them. :sigh:

I like how those look with more wood - retro vintage like Shindo speakers.

McPlanar
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM

I see what you mean about the Shindo…

http://www.toneimports.com/shindo/images/latour.gif

klao
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
My 1.6's were in off-white cloth / dark cherry side; 3.6's were off-white / natural oak (yea, they looked a bit old-fashioned).

For the new 20.7's, I'm getting the off-white cloth again, but with dark cherry trims this time.

Hifisand
02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I did 3.7 in off white and dark cherry. They are in the living room so they had to be conservative. They look great. And sound better every hour.

mgard
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM

1. I think Maggies in light trim and cloth can look kind of old fashioned. The black and aluminum freshened up the look and made it look more tech/contempory
2. Most importantly I read in multiple places that the aluminum was more rigid an stable and even Magnepan commented to it being better performing material by a small margin for intended purpose.

dpod4,

I was thinking the same thing about the aluminum being more rigid. I know many Maggie owners get Mye or Anchor stands for their speakers. Then testimony is a better base. This is my first pair of Magnepans so I don't have any experience with them. Mine are just starting to break in.

McPlanar,

Those are nice pictures of your Maggies. The wood really has a rich look to it.
I would like to see the cherry finish up close. The more I think about it, I wonder if the silver strip down the front of the 3.7's with the black cloth would get a little old after a while. Maybe black on black would be better. It would match my JL sub woofers.

Kalo, I think your cherry and off white combination will look sweet too as you noted below.

"For the new 20.7's, I'm getting the off-white cloth again, but with dark cherry trims this time."

I can't wait to hear the reviews from those of you who are going to trade up to 20.7's. The 3.7's will be the end of the road for me. :yes:

Masterlu
02-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Hifisand... Welcome! :wave:

jwhite613
02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Hifisand... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

mgard
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Hifisand,

I didn't see your post earlier. I would add a hearty welcome too! This is one of the greatest audio forums on the internet. If you were a member, you could post pictures of your speakers and system plus receive a lot of other perks. Or if you have a link like to say, photo bucket, I would like to see them.

~Mike

McPlanar
02-05-2012, 02:31 AM
:pg2: :welcome2.: :pg2:

dpod4
02-05-2012, 03:41 AM
dpod4,

I was thinking the same thing about the aluminum being more rigid. I know many Maggie owners get Mye or Anchor stands for their speakers. Then testimony is a better base. This is my first pair of Magnepans so I don't have any experience with them. Mine are just starting to break in.

McPlanar,

Those are nice pictures of your Maggies. The wood really has a rich look to it.
I would like to see the cherry finish up close. The more I think about it, I wonder if the silver strip down the front of the 3.7's with the black cloth would get a little old after a while. Maybe black on black would be better. It would match my JL sub woofers.

Kalo, I think your cherry and off white combination will look sweet too as you noted below.

"For the new 20.7's, I'm getting the off-white cloth again, but with dark cherry trims this time."

I can't wait to hear the reviews from those of you who are going to trade up to 20.7's. The 3.7's will be the end of the road for me. :yes:

I also have silver and black components so the silver and black matched well. If i was putting them in a living area would definitely get white cloth and dark cherry.

chessman
02-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Hifisand, welcome aboard! :wave:

audiot servant
02-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Welcome Hifisand :thumbsup:

Gday Mike,

I went with cherry because I like wood :D... have photographed them over against the walls and ceilings which are lined with hardwood ply... they fit the room in cherry finish... that said, the pic in the early first impressions from Jacob Heilbrunn article on the 20.7s looked really great.. if that is the new black on black then I would definitely go with that for 20.7s if and when...

Have heard both the wood and metal framed 3.7s I'm not sure the sound quality gain of the metal finish over wood being noticable... however I would consider a good set of stands essential (I went with Sound Anchors) and make a farrrrrr greater difference to the transparency and authority of the bass... this would be the single most beneficial tweak that I have done at this end to the Maggies... wouldn't ever run them without stands once you have tried it... also upgrading jumpers and fuses is also very good move :thumbsup:

Could definitely live with the 3.7s for the very long haul but of course seduction may ultimately outdo common sense and end up with 20.7s eventually... PS wood is good.

Graham

mgard
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Graham,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and pictures. The cherry does have a nice rich look to it. They look really great in your room too. Thanks for the input on the stands.

~Mike

krell-diva
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I have 20.1's with the light oak frame with black fabric.
I have them in a dark green room. They really look great within the room.

Bill

McPlanar
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
:thumbsup: I'm liking the looks of those! :thumbsup: I like all the wood in the room too. :drool:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/martin-logan-magnepan/15120d1328507087-magnepan-finishes-what-did-you-get-dscn0020-copy.jpg

dpod4
02-07-2012, 03:17 AM
:thumbsup: I'm liking the looks of those! :thumbsup: I like all the wood in the room too. :drool:

Best cherry wood tie-in i have seen!

audiot servant
02-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Thanks guys,

I built the house to match the trim on the speakers... well, not exactly true... designed it 10 years ago now but I knew I'd go for a pair of cherry wood Maggies eventually.

Graham

Ritmo
02-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Graham,

Very nice contemporary architecture. Also, the property is also very nice! :thumbsup:

Mike

audiot servant
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks Mike,

The music from the Maggies spills nicely out into the garden... i enjoy it there.

Graham

avsBuddy
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Magnepan website is rather bland. I can't believe they don't have high resolution pictures of all the finish combination that they offer for their speakers. They have just one rather dim picture per product and that's it.

I think black cloth and dark cherry is the best combo from what I've seen.

mgard
02-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Magnepan website is rather bland. I can't believe they don't have high resolution pictures of all the finish combination that they offer for their speakers. They have just one rather dim picture per product and that's it.

I think black cloth and dark cherry is the best combo from what I've seen.

I have read other person complains about their website too. The consensus by those in the know is, they are a small operation and are focusing all their efforts into the products which I am thankful for. They are certainly keeping the price down on their newer models and the improvement is fantastic. I know what you mean though as I am scouring the internet and asking the guys here to post pictures of their Maggies so I can see the different wood and speaker cloth combinations. The nearest dealer to me is 2 hours away and I think he has two pairs. One all black and one with dark cherry and white cloth.

~Mike

Sceptic
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM

According to Wendell and Steve there should be NO difference in performance between wood and alu rails. I chose dark cherry/off white on my 3.7´s. Had the, now discontinued, light cherry finish on the 3.6´s.

mgard
03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
According to Wendell and Steve there should be NO difference in performance between wood and alu rails. I chose dark cherry/off white on my 3.7´s. Had the, now discontinued, light cherry finish on the 3.6´s.

Sceptic,

That is good to hear as I ordered last week the 3.7's in cherry with the black socks. I listened to them for about two hours and had to order a pair. It really helped that I was given a great trade in on my 1.7's. As I was listening at home to my 1.7's last night, it is hard to image it getting any better.

~Mike

dpod4
03-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Good to get that set straight especially since I plan on ordering black on black! I thought it would be odd for Magnepan to make a cosmetic offering option that impacted audio performance one way or another.

klao
03-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Sceptic,

That is good to hear as I ordered last week the 3.7's in cherry with the black socks. I listened to them for about two hours and had to order a pair. It really helped that I was given a great trade in on my 1.7's. As I was listening at home to my 1.7's last night, it is hard to image it getting any better.

~Mike

Congrats to you, Mike. Hope you get them soon.

MrAcoustat
05-24-2012, 01:18 AM

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan01.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan02.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan13.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan15.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan18.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan21.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan23.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan26.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan27.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Magnepan28.jpg

jambro22
04-19-2013, 07:46 AM
I bought the 3.7's in off white with the Cherry Trim. I'm curious about the new sub panels. Does anyone have them hooked up to 3.7's?

Rested
05-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I bought the 3.7's with light oak and off white fabric, my wife hates them but I think they look classy.

drummermitchell
05-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Aluminum trim and black body,goes with my Firehawk G-3 screen and Gik panels

maxdog
07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Got the Dark oak and off white.....used to own 1D's many moons ago, in the light fabric....these are sounding better ever day....looking to get a better preamp, as the LS15 is a bit dated...Sanders amp works well, just wish I could spend the money for the monos..One needs to draw the line somewhere , tho...NAH!!!..))

Robert_Anderson
07-20-2013, 07:13 AM
20.1's with off white fabric and dark oak.

fortherecord1
07-27-2013, 11:48 PM
I bought the 3.7's with light oak and off white fabric, my wife hates them but I think they look classy.

I just bought the same, looks great in my room!

chessman
07-28-2013, 02:01 PM
fortherecord1, welcome aboard! :wave:

Masterlu
07-28-2013, 06:46 PM
fortherecord1... Welcome! :wave:

cma29
07-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Aluminum trim and black body,goes with my Firehawk G-3 screen and Gik panels

Same combo here for my 20.7s. I like it :yes:

metaphysician
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

An AA newbie here, though I've lurked for a while.

I just HAD to order my 1.7's in light oak and off-white; I have such fond memories of my IIB's, which are, sadly, now defunct and sitting all alone in my basement.

My living room has off-white walls, oak floors, and unpainted woodwork. Any other combination would have looked out of place. Besides, I never really went for the 2001 Monolith look.

mgard
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
metaphysician,

Thanks for coming out of the shadows. Your wood choice and sock color will look excellent in your room! Welcome to AA. Come back and post how you like the 1.7's when you get them all set up. :D

~Mike

Coleman
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
My 3.7's are black fabric with dark cherry. The wood looks more like red mahogany; a very rich color.

mgard
01-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes that is a very rich looking combination. That was my choice also plus it goes nice with my Salamander cabinet.

~Mike