PDA

View Full Version : Put the CT-5 back in....

Puma Cat
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
After a couple of weeks of listening to the Premier 17, I popped the CT-5 back into the system tonight and settled in for a listen. While I ultimately need to make a decision about which preamp to keep, or if I'll keep both, but in the interim, it sure is fun to be able to switch out gear.

Super quiet black backgrounds, especially for a tube preamp. I'm always amazed how quiet C-J can get their components, especially when preamp and power amp are paired up; it's pretty astonishing for tube gear. Imaging to die for, excellent bass definition, the trifecta of definition, detail and decay, and beautifully realized instrumental and vocal timbres and textures. Really a very lovely preamp. :music:

My local C-J dealer told me the weekend before last that he thought he remembered that C-J provided a phono stage upgrade to the CT-5 for about $850. He also mentioned that his personal dream preamp would be a CT-5 with a phono section.

Have to look into that one....

Rafale
02-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Stephen, :thumbsup: stellar preamp
I'm a big fan of the CT5

ronenash
02-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Stephen, I am sure the CT5 is amazing. I do not think it was ever offered with a phono stage. There is no room to fit one in. Tthe internal space is taken by the those huge teflon caps which the CT5 should have more than a dozen of these.