PDA

View Full Version : Ping Jdandy and Michell

Puma Cat
02-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Dan,
I've been listening to my Michell/Koetsu this evening was just wondering how you're getting on with your Michell now that you've had it a number of months.

So, how's life with the Michell?

jdandy
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Stephen.......I could not be happier with the Michell Gyro SE/SME 309 package and the outboard regulated power supply. The turntable is a joy to use, silent, excellent speed stability, and best of all it sounds fantastic. I am playing more vinyl than I have in years and loving it. Also, I am totally thrilled with the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge. It opened so well after about 60 hours, tracks perfectly, presents solid top to bottom performance with tremendous dynamics and resolution. I can easily recommend this MC cartridge. Mounted on the SME 309 tonearm, the Ortofon Cadenza Black is a star performer.

Your recommendation of the Boos Block under the Gyro SE has paid dividends, as well. I noticed a more profound bass presentation and a deepening of the sound stage once I placed the solid maple block under the turntable. I am glad I followed your recommendation on that. The Boos Block also provides a nice base for the custom dustcover to rest on. I replaced the SME/Van den Hul tonearm cable with one from Finest Cable that uses solid silver conductors. This change brought the space between instruments and voices to a new level that the SME supplied Van den Hul cable could not deliver. The angled DIN connector on the Finest Cable tonearm cable fit the SME like a glove, and actually gave me a bit more free space in the opening under the tonearm mount on the Gyro SE, which as you know is tight.

Long story short, I love this turntable. The total package delivers smooth, rich, satisfying analog sound that keeps me reaching for the next record. The more I listen to this setup, the greater is my appreciation of the moving coil phono stage in the McIntosh C1000P preamp, too. Simply enticing.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/GyroSEonBoosBlock1.jpg

chessman
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Dan, man that looks nice. Congrats! (I know, for about the third time on this table, but it is cool. :thumbsup:

Pider
02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow....

jdandy
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Dan, man that looks nice. Congrats! (I know, for about the third time on this table, but it is cool. :thumbsup:

Randy.......I know what you mean. I still have that same response everytime I am in the studio and look at that turntable. It is even more fun to listen to than to look at.

Puma Cat
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Dan,
That's awesome! I'm very happy for you and that the Michell worked out as well as it did. I know you were wanting one for quite a while and I'm very pleased that you're very happy with your purchase. I too, found that the Boos Brothers maple board made a significant improvement in the sound quality of the table, and also provides a very stable platform for spinning LPs. Glad that worked out so well for you, too. I'm not surprised about the stock SME cable; I was never very impressed with it; I'm glad you found a cable that worked well for you. I have a Zu custom cable that's been working well for me.

Thanks for the follow-up report.

Cheers, PC

Puma Cat
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Dan,
I really should pick up one of the those dust covers.

The improvement that the TT-PSU made for my P5 really has me thinking I need to do the "never connected" mains upgrade for the Michell. Have to give Jim Volpatti of Silent Lucidity, the SF Michell dealer, a call....

I put the CT-5 preamp back in the system tonight and settled in for an evening of listening pleasure with my Michell this evening. The KUV/SME V and Michell make for a winning combination as well, and it's one, as I am sure you know, where you stop analyzing and just sit back mesmerized by the music.

And that's just as it should be.

Cheers,
Stephen.

jdandy
02-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Stephen.......I just put the dust cover back over my Gyro a few minutes ago. After talking about the turntable earlier, I decided to spin some vinyl tonight.

You definately should be using the Never Connected power supply. Rock stable rotation.

Puma Cat
02-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks, Dan, I will look into that and give Jim a call....

1KW
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
What is the difference between the stock power supply and the never connected power supply ? The turntable is pretty quiet already. :scratch2:

jdandy
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
David.......The standard power supply for your Gyro is an AC to DC inverter built into a wall-wart plug. Its basic design is susceptible to all the nasties and fluctuations of the AC line, and provides limited current to the turntable motor. The Michell HR PSU is a DC power supply using the Never Connected circuitry, and offers absolute speed stability, high current deliver and power reserve that protects from AC line fluctuations which impact speed stability. The DC to the motor is completely isolated from the AC main. In addition, the power supply also allows you to use a strobe disk with your turntable to make speed adjustments, thus ensuring an absolute perfect speed setting.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/hr_psu.jpg

BearCubinNY
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Highly recommended.

Reg

Puma Cat
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
David.......The standard power supply for your Gyro is an AC to DC inverter built into a wall-wart plug. Its basic design is susceptible to all the nasties and fluctuations of the AC line, and provides limited current to the turntable motor. The Michell HR PSU is a DC power supply using the Never Connected circuitry, and offers absolute speed stability, high current deliver and power reserve that protects from AC line fluctuations which impact speed stability. The DC to the motor is completely isolated from the AC main. In addition, the power supply also allows you to use a strobe disk with your turntable to make speed adjustments, thus ensuring an absolute perfect speed setting.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/hr_psu.jpg

Sounds great...have to look in to that, Dan.

My guess is the Never Connected unit uses an IEC jack for power? So, I could use a Shunyata Venom with it?

jdandy
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds great...have to look in to that, Dan.

My guess is the Never Connected unit uses an IEC jack for power? So, I could use a Shunyata Venom with it?

Stephen.......I just looked at my Michell HR PSU. Yes, it has the IEC power connector.

Puma Cat
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Dan!

That means I could put a Shunyata Venom3 PC on it....

Muhahaha!-Dr. Evil, who spent summers in Rangoon.