PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan 1.7 compaired to 3.7's questions

mgard
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I shouldn’t start down this path but here goes. Those of you that have the 3.7’s, did you happen to also listen to the 1.7’s? How would you compare 3.7’s to the 1.7’s? I currently have the 1.7’s with two JL 110 subwoofers. How much better would the music be do you think, with an upgrade to the 3.7’s? I would be keeping the JL 110 as they do a really nice job on the low end.
Just toying with the idea. :D

~Mike

dpod4
01-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I shouldn’t start down this path but here goes. Those of you that have the 3.7’s, did you happen to also listen to the 1.7’s? How would you compare 3.7’s to the 1.7’s? I currently have the 1.7’s with two JL 110 subwoofers. How much better would the music be do you think, with an upgrade to the 3.7’s? I would be keeping the JL 110 as they do a really nice job on the low end.

~Mike

First congrats on doing the subs the right way (two jl110s). That is sweet. I auditioned both 1.7 and 3.7 at my Magnepan dealer. Both had the fast transparent wall of sound that I have failed to hear in any box speaker. My ears are very sensitive to sharp etchy balance of tone. I tend to like rich midrange as the center of gravity. The 1.7s sounded too lean and bright to my ears demoed in the dealers system (1st with Mcintosh and then Ayre gear). The 3.7s have a center of gravity at a lower register than the 1.7s in my opinion so they struck me as more balanced, warmer, richer and dynamic. Same house sound of big transparency and speed and open sound field. I mate a Velodyne dd15+ sub and that adds more growl. With your JL110s paired in that might have made feel the same way about them as I did with the 3.7s. I am super happy with 3.7s and struggle to decide whether to trade up to 20.7s. For folks like us if the 1.7 or 3.7s are great there is logic in staying put and funneling $$ into music.

I am likely going to trade up to 20.7s so will have an almost broken in pair of 3.7s in perfect condition (4 mos old) for sale at discount off retail.

Darrin

mgard
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Darrin. The dealer where I bought my 1.7s (the 3.7s weren't out yet) had a pair of Quad ESL 2905's is the same room. Everything was going fine till he switched over to the Quads. Wow what a difference. Of course we are talking a $15,000 speaker compared to a $2,000 speaker. I agree with you, 1.7's are a little lean by themselves especially when they are not broke in. Add one or two good subs and the sound becomes more full bodied. I was wondering what I would get for $3,500 more, since I already have the low range covered. Would I gain that much more? But from your comment, “they struck me as more balanced, warmer, richer and dynamic", that sounds like a definite yes.

~Mike

dpod4
01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Darrin. The dealer where I bought my 1.7s (the 3.7s weren't out yet) had a pair of Quad ESL 2905's is the same room. Everything was going fine till he switched over to the Quads. Wow what a difference. Of course we are talking a $15,000 speaker compared to a $2,000 speaker. I agree with you, 1.7's are a little lean by themselves especially when they are not broke in. Add one or two good subs and the sound becomes more full bodied. I was wondering what I would get for $3,500 more, since I already have the low range covered. Would I gain that much more? But from your comment, “they struck me as more balanced, warmer, richer and dynamic", that sounds like a definite yes.

~Mike

I have not heard Quad 2905s but I would definitely like to. For me there is a top to bottom seamless coherence to the 3.7s.

audiot servant
01-30-2012, 07:17 AM
First congrats on doing the subs the right way (two jl110s). That is sweet. I auditioned both 1.7 and 3.7 at my Magnepan dealer. Both had the fast transparent wall of sound that I have failed to hear in any box speaker. My ears are very sensitive to sharp etchy balance of tone. I tend to like rich midrange as the center of gravity. The 1.7s sounded too lean and bright to my ears demoed in the dealers system (1st with Mcintosh and then Ayre gear). The 3.7s have a center of gravity at a lower register than the 1.7s in my opinion so they struck me as more balanced, warmer, richer and dynamic. Same house sound of big transparency and speed and open sound field. I mate a Velodyne dd15+ sub and that adds more growl. With your JL110s paired in that might have made feel the same way about them as I did with the 3.7s. I am super happy with 3.7s and struggle to decide whether to trade up to 20.7s. For folks like us if the 1.7 or 3.7s are great there is logic in staying put and funneling $$ into music.

I am likely going to trade up to 20.7s so will have an almost broken in pair of 3.7s in perfect condition (4 mos old) for sale at discount off retail.

Darrin

+100% on Darrin's thoughts. I auditioned both on same gear (no subs tho) and the 3.7s had it on correct weight on the left hand of the piano, bigger scale, more authority and even a shade more transparent and overall more compelling musical experience... more real.

The 3.7s are going to be hard to trade up for 20.7s as they certainly aren't the limiting factor in my system... since you're giving your 1.7's such great bottom end support with the JL subs it's hard to be sure total gain but I can guess that you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage... I reckon the 3.7s are well and truly worth the price difference over the 1.7s as they are.

A well cared for well run in second hand set 3.7s would be great since they seriously are just getting on song at 600 hrs (and also speaker stands, good fuses and jumpers make the world of difference IMO). Could keep the 1.7s as rears if you wanted an amazing HT set-up in the future as well. Best wishes with it either way.

Graham

mgard
01-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you Graham for your input. Since you and Darrin got to hear both of them and noticed that big of a difference, I think the 3.7's would be the end of the road for me concerning speakers. Then I can start working on the room, speaker cables and other little tweaks. I did consider buying a high end pair of head phones but your comment Graham, that you were listening more to your 3.7's then your Audeze LCD 2's got me thinking about the 3.7's again.

Thanks again Graham and Darrin for your impressions.

~Mike

dpod4
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
+100% on Darrin's thoughts. I auditioned both on same gear (no subs tho) and the 3.7s had it on correct weight on the left hand of the piano, bigger scale, more authority and even a shade more transparent and overall more compelling musical experience... more real.

The 3.7s are going to be hard to trade up for 20.7s as they certainly aren't the limiting factor in my system... since you're giving your 1.7's such great bottom end support with the JL subs it's hard to be sure total gain but I can guess that you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage... I reckon the 3.7s are well and truly worth the price difference over the 1.7s as they are.

A well cared for well run in second hand set 3.7s would be great since they seriously are just getting on song at 600 hrs (and also speaker stands, good fuses and jumpers make the world of difference IMO). Could keep the 1.7s as rears if you wanted an amazing HT set-up in the future as well. Best wishes with it either way.

Graham

"....you might be able to cross them a touch lower and that might just make it a singularly more coherent, fleshier and possibly even bigger soundstage..."

Well stated Graham!

klao
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Heard both of them, but I never get a chance to compare 1.7 & 3.7 side by side. My short answer is go for the 3.7.

When I traded my 1.6 up to 3.6, not much regrets at all. There was really some minor coherence issue with 3.6, but those ribbon tweeters alone outweighed it. Larger sound field, better depth and soundstaging are obvious advantage too.

Already cancelled my order for the 3.7 (been waiting half a year now) and will pur more desposit for the 20.7 instead, as soon as Magnepan allows my dealer to send them a PO. Hope longer wait will be worth it. :)

mgard
02-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Heard both of them, but I never get a chance to compare 1.7 & 3.7 side by side. My short answer is go for the 3.7.

When I traded my 1.6 up to 3.6, not much regrets at all. There was really some minor coherence issue with 3.6, but those ribbon tweeters alone outweighed it. Larger sound field, better depth and soundstaging are obvious advantage too.

Already cancelled my order for the 3.7 (been waiting half a year now) and will pur more desposit for the 20.7 instead, as soon as Magnepan allows my dealer to send them a PO. Hope longer wait will be worth it. :)

Klao,

I don't think you will be disappointed. The 20.7's should be an awesome speaker. The wait has got to be tough. What electronics will you be using with them?

~Mike

klao
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Klao,

I don't think you will be disappointed. The 20.7's should be an awesome speaker. The wait has got to be tough. What electronics will you be using with them?

~Mike

I'm waiting to build a bigger listening room too, Mike. So it shouldn't be that bad of a wait. :)

My front end are only digital: BDP-1, BDA-1, & MWI Oppo 95 Tube. I have two preamps, either one of which I'm selling to finance new room and speakers: ARC REF40A & Aesthetix Calypso Signature. Hope my Bryston 7B-SST2 pair will do OK with the 20.7 as well.

audiot servant
02-02-2012, 05:52 AM

Great news Klao - might be a bit of a race between yourself and Darrin (Ddod4) for a pair of 20.7s... will be great to get some additional reliable feedback from owners on what could well prove to be a sensational loudspeaker... certainly be nice to hear it first on AA.

Graham

klao
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Great news Klao - might be a bit of a race between yourself and Darrin (Ddod4) for a pair of 20.7s... will be great to get some additional reliable feedback from owners on what could well prove to be a sensational loudspeaker... certainly be nice to hear it first on AA.

Graham

Thanks, Graham.

I'm in the far east, so it might take a few months longer than our friends in the states. Cheers.

dpod4
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Graham

Just sold my Atma-Sphere table plus Triplanar arm so new funds to put toward 20.7s. What do you think I should list the 3.7s for? Also looking for advice as I streamline and simplify. My Conrad Johnson 350 amp pairs perfectly with Maggies. I am thinking of selling my VAC tube amp and possibly preamp, as wonderful as they are, to fund rest of purchase of 20.7s (I don't have a money tree) and pick up a CJ (eg GAT) or Shindo (Massetto or used Giscours) preamp to pair with the CJ Pr350. Or I could just keep the VAC preamp as it is very good.

DP

audiot servant
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Just sold my Atma-Sphere table plus Triplanar arm so new funds to put toward 20.7s. What do you think I should list the 3.7s for? Also looking for advice as I streamline and simplify. My Conrad Johnson 350 amp pairs perfectly with Maggies. I am thinking of selling my VAC tube amp and possibly preamp, as wonderful as they are, to fund rest of purchase of 20.7s (I don't have a money tree) and pick up a CJ (eg GAT) or Shindo (Massetto or used Giscours) preamp to pair with the CJ Pr350. Or I could just keep the VAC preamp as it is very good.

DP

D and Klao - If I'm a bit green atm :D it's just a reflection off the Shindo... would certainly think that it's well worth a new thread to follow your respective journeys from 3.7s to 20.7s PS Darrin - btw a CJ GAT/PR350 combo with the 20.7s sounds just about irresistible...

Graham

dpod4
02-03-2012, 02:32 AM
D and Klao - Sounds like you are both on your way towards the upgrade... If I'm a bit green atm :D it's just a reflection off the Shindo... would certainly think that it's more than worth a new thread to follow the early adopters trip from 3.7 to 20.7 PS Darrin - A CJ GAT/PR350 combo with the 20.7s sounds just about irresistible...

Graham

Yes that may be the "golden" ticket for me.

mgard
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm waiting to build a bigger listening room too, Mike. So it shouldn't be that bad of a wait. :)

My front end are only digital: BDP-1, BDA-1, & MWI Oppo 95 Tube. I have two preamps, either one of which I'm selling to finance new room and speakers: ARC REF40A & Aesthetix Calypso Signature. Hope my Bryston 7B-SST2 pair will do OK with the 20.7 as well.

You have got some very nice gear. As you know Bryston amps are used a lot with Magnepans. Did you happen to post pictures of your system. Maybe I should finish reading the tread before I post this.

~Mike

klao
02-04-2012, 12:21 PM
You have got some very nice gear. As you know Bryston amps are used a lot with Magnepans. Did you happen to post pictures of your system. Maybe I should finish reading the tread before I post this.

~Mike

Thank you, Mike. No, I haven't posted any picture yet. Here's the partial photo of my system many months ago before I got the ARC preamp and sold Maggie 3.6's. (I'm currently using a pair of Triangle speakers on loan from my audio dealer.)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk29/ksanasen/IMG_3089.jpg

mgard
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Kalao,

Thank you for posting a picture of your system. Looks very nice. :yes: When your new speakers arrive, you will have to update us with another system picture and a review. :D

~Mike

klao
02-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Got informed by James Tanner in the AudioCircle that the Maggie 20.7 and some Bryston gear were just being sent to a prominent magazine in the US for review. Wendell and James themselves went to help setup, so I guess it might be HP's room.

dpod4
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I heard the 20.7s will likely hit dealers in June timeframe. I will be upgrading.

audiot servant
02-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Darrin - great move :banana: brilliant to see an AA'er lead the way...

Graham

dpod4
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Darrin - great move :banana: brilliant to see an AA'er lead the way...

Graham

Thanks. 401(k)s are way over rated. I invest in audio!

mgard
02-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I heard the 3.7's for the first time this last weekend. I spent 2 hours grinning while listening to the music. Now I must figure out a way to acquire them. :music:

~Mike

dpod4
02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I heard the 3.7's for the first time this last weekend. I spent 2 hours grinning while listening to the music. Now I must figure out a way to acquire them. :music:

~Mike

Good decision!

I will be selling my perfect pair in a few months. They are just now breaking in (bass is more present). I will be selling these for a lot less than retail.

audiot servant
02-14-2012, 03:41 AM
I shouldn’t start down this path but here goes... How much better would the music be do you think, with an upgrade to the 3.7’s?...

~Mike

and only a couple of weeks later... I heard the 3.7's for the first time this last weekend. I spent 2 hours grinning while listening to the music. Now I must figure out a way to acquire them.

Mike,

Sounds like you you were right.... we shouldn't ask these kind of questions :no: ... I just got home from work and put on some music and yes, the 3.7s still make me smile... look forward to you landing yourself a pair.

Graham

daveydogg
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I bought a Denon AVR-1912 about 6 mos ago; the room is 20x30 feet, hardwood, 11 ft ceilings. Now to buy speakers - went to a "high end" audio store and heard some B & W speakers, Focal. Asked about Martin Logan EDL Electromotion ribbon-type speakers (which get great reviews) as well as Magnepan MMG or MG12 - all of which they sell. The guy (an obsessed audio guy) said would not buy any of these ribbon speakers with an AV receiver such as the Denon - not enough power, will sound terrible, not even barely supply the speakers.

Correct?

jwhite613
02-15-2012, 11:03 AM
daveydogg... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

pwhartman
02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Maggies tend to need a lot of current to drive them well, even the smaller ones, I don't know about the ML Electromotions though. I would probably avoid the Maggies with an AVR.

bzr
02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I bought a Denon AVR-1912 about 6 mos ago; the room is 20x30 feet, hardwood, 11 ft ceilings. Now to buy speakers - went to a "high end" audio store and heard some B & W speakers, Focal. Asked about Martin Logan EDL Electromotion ribbon-type speakers (which get great reviews) as well as Magnepan MMG or MG12 - all of which they sell. The guy (an obsessed audio guy) said would not buy any of these ribbon speakers with an AV receiver such as the Denon - not enough power, will sound terrible, not even barely supply the speakers.

Correct?

the martin logan site has some very good info on it. i have summit x & with these they say since they are active they don't need as much power to drive them. when i got them home i hooked them up to my Plinius amps, 125w bi amped & thought wow I like that. Then i put the amp in that I brought home with the speakers which was the Sanders Magtech,500w single, it took the listening field to another plane, absolute. People that have less power will tell you that it doesn't matter, well it doesn't to the point that they are happy with their set-up & that is what counts. The ones that have power on tap & have experienced the difference with similar quality gear also have knowledge of "their" sound. :yes::D :thumbsup:

audiot servant
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Correct?

Welcome Daveydogg,

Not familiar with your amp but if you are going to try out MLs or Maggies probably a good idea to take your amp in with you and listen. These speakers are demanding of amps and both will reveal the benefits of using better gear around them. Bottom line is they do some things very right and if those are the things that make you love hearing them and your current (accidental pun) amp is OK with planars for the moment you may want to run with it and as you change gear down the track let your system grow with the speakers... they are very rewarding of improvements :thumbsup:

Graham

Barry1
03-10-2012, 11:00 AM
the martin logan site has some very good info on it. i have summit x & with these they say since they are active they don't need as much power to drive them. when i got them home i hooked them up to my Plinius amps, 125w bi amped & thought wow I like that. Then i put the amp in that I brought home with the speakers which was the Sanders Magtech,500w single, it took the listening field to another plane, absolute. People that have less power will tell you that it doesn't matter, well it doesn't to the point that they are happy with their set-up & that is what counts. The ones that have power on tap & have experienced the difference with similar quality gear also have knowledge of "their" sound. :yes::D :thumbsup:

Hi. I'm looking at the Magtech for use as a subwoofer amp. Could you comment on how the bass sounds? I know there's an in home demo option. Thanks!

Sperandeo
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I currently have the MMG's and I wanted to move up in the Maggie world. I thought about the 1.7 and the 3.7's. My listening room is small and after speaking to my dealer and Magnepan I decided the 1.7's were as big as I could go for the size of the room. I ordered them 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for that magic phone call that says "your 1.7's are ready for pickup".

mgard
03-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I currently have the MMG's and I wanted to move up in the Maggie world. I thought about the 1.7 and the 3.7's. My listening room is small and after speaking to my dealer and Magnepan I decided the 1.7's were as big as I could go for the size of the room. I ordered them 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for that magic phone call that says "your 1.7's are ready for pickup".

Steve,

I know the feeling. I ordered Maggie 3.7's about two weeks ago and was told it would be about five weeks. I am listening to my 1.7's right now so I'm not going though total withdrawal just yet. :D

~Mike

dude
03-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Correct?

Davey,

Maybe not terrible, from a literal sense, but certainly far less than what the speakers are capable of when provided sufficient power. And you have a large room.

GG