PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge ?

1KW
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I was listening to my turntable and during the quiet passages I could hear a grating sound. When I looked closely at the stylus the compliance of the stylus was so soft that the plastic on either side of the needle was literally scraping against the vinyl. I tried adjusting the cartridge however the problem would not go away. The cartride is a AT 4400MLA. I removed the cartridge put my Ortofon cartridge on and all is fine. The question is has anyone else had problems with the audio technica cartridges having this problem ? The cartridge is less then a year old .

PHC1
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I was listening to my turntable and during the quiet passages I could hear a grating sound. When I looked closely at the stylus the compliance of the stylus was so soft that the plastic on either side of the needle was literally scraping against the vinyl. I tried adjusting the cartridge however the problem would not go away. The cartride is a AT 4400MLA. I removed the cartridge put my Ortofon cartridge on and all is fine. The question is has anyone else had problems with the audio technica cartridges having this problem ? The cartridge is less then a year old .

Question, do you flick the tonearm with your finger to see if you can land it in the groove between the tracks when it lands? Just kidding. :D Did you check your VTA and VTF?

Alberto
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Nope. Something is VERY wrong. I have a couple of AT440mlas (2+ years) and the only thing I can think of is that the tracking force has somehow been increase. I doubt that the suspension has gone soft, have you double-checked the tracking force?

Alberto

jdandy
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM

David.......When you say you tried adjust the cartridge, I assume you meant tracking force. How do you measure your tracking force?

1KW
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't have a scale so I have to rely on the tone arm dial. I balanced the tone arm with the cartidge attached and then dial in 1 3/4 grams VTF. The VTA is leveled off. I removed the stylus and snapped it back on and the purple part still hits the vinyl. My ortofon cartridge is my back up and it is working perfectly set up the same way. I sent off a email to LP gear (place I purchased the cartridge from) and audio-technica customer service.

1KW
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Question, do you flick the tonearm with your finger to see if you can land it in the groove between the tracks

How did you know... :no:

jdandy
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
David.......How light a tracking force would it take to allow the cantilever not to allow the body to hit the vinyl? Would this tracking force fall into the recommended tracking force for the cartridge?

The ol' trusty Shure Stylus Force Gauge is a good thing to own, and reasonably priced. You might want to pick one up.

1KW
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
David.......How light a tracking force would it take to allow the cantilever not to allow the body to hit the vinyl? Would this tracking force fall into the recommended tracking force for the cartridge?

The ol' trusty Shure Stylus Force Gauge is a good thing to own, and reasonably priced. You might want to pick one up.

When I decreased the tracking force to 1 gm the needle started to skip

PHC1
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Is this something that happened recently or could it be it was always like that and you didn't notice? :scratch2:

1KW
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Is this something that happened recently or could it be it was always like that and you didn't notice? :scratch2:

It is something new, the grating sound is not something I would have ignored. I am going to bring the stylus to my office on Friday so I can look at it under my microscope.

howiebrou
06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Have you tried raising your tonearm? A low tonearm with an accurate tracking force would have your result. Is your tonearm parallel to the playing surface?

howie

1KW
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Have you tried raising your tonearm? A low tonearm with an accurate tracking force would have your result. Is your tonearm parallel to the playing surface?

howie

Yes . I am sending it back to Audio-Technica. For now my Ortofon OM10 sounds fine.

hifitommy
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
contacting audiotechnica? they may replace it if its not that old. it realy sounds like the suspension has failed, especially in view of the fact that the orto works fine.

good luck.

OneMalt
06-27-2009, 11:10 AM
hifitommy - welcome to the board! :D

(Apologies to the OP for the OT post)

jdandy
06-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes . I am sending it back to Audio-Technica. For now my Ortofon OM10 sounds fine.

David.......What's the scoop on the defective cartridge?

1KW
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I sent it back to Audio-Technica . I am expecting a replacement to be sent.

jdandy
06-27-2009, 10:29 PM
David.......I wonder how long AT will make you wait? Have they said they will replace it, or are you hoping they will replace it?

1KW
06-27-2009, 10:36 PM
David.......I wonder how long AT will make you wait? Have they said they will replace it, or are you hoping they will replace it?

The support tech. I spoke to said they have to inspect it to make sure it was not abused and assuming that was not the issue they will send a replacement. I have no problem with this inspection, as I know the cartridge was barely used.

jdandy
06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
David.......This is good to hear. Sometimes a company will drag its feet on something like this. Sounds like they are taking care of business. Let us know how it turns out.

Your sound system has to be sounding really good these days, especially with the new cables. Are you still considering the SF Elipsa speakers?

1KW
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
David....... Are you still considering the SF Elipsa speakers?

I have learned with this hobby it is more a question of when rather then if...:yes:

jdandy
06-27-2009, 11:49 PM
David.......That's what I thought. Seeds planted will grow. :D

1KW
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Anyone know anything about this MC cartridge ?
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Audio-Technica AT33EV Moving-Coil Phono Cartridge (10/2009) (http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/audiotechnica_at33ev.htm)

jdandy
11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
David.......Moving coil cartridge? There's no moving coil phono stage in the C220. Does this mean a new preamp might be in the wings?

1KW
11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
David.......Moving coil cartridge? There's no moving coil phono stage in the C220. Does this mean a new preamp might be in the wings?

:dunno: Lets just say... analog is the next upgrade. My tt is the weakest link in the system.

j3brow
11-04-2009, 06:18 PM
:dunno: Lets just say... analog is the next upgrade. My tt is the weakest link in the system.

Im sure you will find a way to upgrade your Vinyl rig,and it may very well be the weakest link in your fine system. I wonder how MUCH better your entire system would sound both analog and digital if you replaced the Panamax with a PPP + Soloist SE. I think you might be surprised how good those PSA products are. I know I was. Disclaimer alert** i own PSA and have never heard Panamax so i am certainly biased**

jdandy
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Jason.......I can't believe you're asking David to give up his precious, beloved Panamax power conditioner.........er, surge suppressor........er, bottleneck.......er, door stop. Yeah, that's it. :lmao:

1KW
11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Don't talk about "precious" that way :D You guys are surge protector snobs :moon:

PHC1
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Don't talk about "precious" that way :D You guys are surge protector snobs :moon:

Some of us are more of "power conditioner" snobs. :D

1KW
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Getting back to the subject, anyone know anything about this MC cartridge ?

j3brow
11-05-2009, 01:17 AM

I don't. But Jeff does....

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_024.pdf

see pg 14

cmalak
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Here's a review from Soundstage.com: SoundStage! Equipment Review - Audio-Technica AT33EV Moving-Coil Phono Cartridge (10/2009) (http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/audiotechnica_at33ev.htm)

Tonepub
11-24-2009, 01:54 AM
The AT33EV is very smooth. Sounds a lot like a Shelter 501 II, but for less money. If you love your C220 and don't want to invest in another MC phono preamp, consider a step up transformer. I'm getting the Zen from Steve Deckert in a few weeks and it's very reasonably priced. Might be a great match for your system without spending a fortune...