PDA

View Full Version : MV-60 update ...

joeinid
12-31-2011, 06:27 PM
I finally had a tech look at my MV-60 and fish out and replace the loose screw. I've been playing it all afternoon with my JBL 4312D's. What a nice amp. 60 watts of sweet EL34 tubes. :D

chessman
12-31-2011, 06:54 PM
I finally had a tech look at my MV-60 and fish out and replace the loose screw. I've been playing it all afternoon with my JBL 4312D's. What a nice amp. 60 watts of sweet EL34 tubes. :D

What was loose?

joeinid
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
What was loose?

When I received the amp, there was a screw rattling around inside. It must have come loose during shipping. I could shake the amp and hear the screw rolling around. I tried to take it apart and fix it, but for some reason could not locate it. I took it to a local tech and had it back in 15 minutes. Man I love this thing :thumbsup:

Toobs
01-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Joe
Everyone always knew you had a screw loose:D:D

joeinid
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Joe
Everyone always knew you had a screw loose:D:D

In more ways than one, but not any more :thumbsup:

Bugs762
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. I just purchased an MV 60SE. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm glad you got your amp up and running without further issue.

Best,
Bugs762

Masterlu
01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Bugs762... Welcome! :wave:

joeinid
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. I just purchased an MV 60SE. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm glad you got your amp up and running without further issue.

Best,
Bugs762

Congratulations Bugs762 on the MV-60SE, thank you for the kind words and thanks for posting. These are wonderful amps that sound great. What preamp and speakers are you using?

:welcome2.::pg2:

chessman
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Bugs762, welcome aboard! :wave:

Puma Cat
01-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Best,
Bugs762

Bugs,
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your MV60SE. Please post pics and let us know what you think of it when you get it.

BTW, you can get a capacitor upgrade for the MV60s where C-J will install Teflon caps in the amp.

joeinid
01-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Bugs,
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your MV60SE. Please post pics and let us know what you think of it when you get it.

BTW, you can get a capacitor upgrade for the MV60s where C-J will install Teflon caps in the amp.

I was thinking of converting mine to triode mode and wondering if I could do the cap upgrade at the same time. :scratch2:

Pider
01-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Bugs762.... Welcome!

Puma Cat
01-03-2012, 02:34 AM
I was thinking of converting mine to triode mode and wondering if I could do the cap upgrade at the same time. :scratch2:

Sure, why not? C-J would probably prefer you did that, anyway. It would sure go well with the Cornwalls.

joeinid
01-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Sure, why not? C-J would probably prefer you did that, anyway. It would sure go well with the Cornwalls.

I've been thinking about that ever since I got it. It sounds great on them now, but can only imagine how sweet it will be in triode mode. I'll call next week and see what it will cost. :music:

Puma Cat
01-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Which pre are you using with the MV60?

BTW, the MV60 and the Premier 11A were reputed to be very similar in sound quality.

Interestingly, when I talked to C-J about getting the Teflon cap upgrade for my Pr11A, they told me the Premier 11A with the Teflon caps would outperform a Premier 140 sonically.

joeinid
01-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Which pre are you using with the MV60?

BTW, the MV60 and the Premier 11A were reputed to be very similar in sound quality.

Interestingly, when I talked to C-J about getting the Teflon cap upgrade for my Pr11A, they told me the Premier 11A with the Teflon caps would outperform a Premier 140 sonically.

Hi Stephen,

I'm using the Burmester 099 DAC/Preamp. It sounds very nice with the MV-60. In fact, it sounds nice with anything hooked up to it. Right now I have my modded Sonos plugged into it via RCA s/pdif and I am streaming to it. The internal DAC on the 099 is doing a great job.

That's great to read about bringing the amps to the next level. :music:

ronenash
01-03-2012, 03:56 AM

Awhile ago I talked to CJ and they mentioned that most people who did the conversion to triod eventually switched back to pentode missing the drive and power pentode offers. Its an east modification but think twice before doing it. I think the loss will be greater than the gain.

joeinid
01-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Awhile ago I talked to CJ and they mentioned that most people who did the conversion to triod eventually switched back to pentode missing the drive and power pentode offers. Its an east modification but think twice before doing it. I think the loss will be greater than the gain.

I appreciate the advice. I should at least do the cap upgrade and breath new life into it. It really is wonderful the way it is and the new caps will be very nice :music:.

ronenash
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I appreciate the advice. I should at least do the cap upgrade and breath new life into it. It really is wonderful the way it is and the new caps will be very nice :music:.

Absolutely! I did this with my LP125m upgrading to the SE version. Well worth the upgrade. The break-in time is a bummer though. The MV60 is a great amp and with Teflon cap upgrades its in LP70s territory.
I just got an LP70s from a friend who wishes to sell it. I will post impressions in a few days.

joeinid
01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Absolutely! I did this with my LP125m upgrading to the SE version. Well worth the upgrade. The break-in time is a bummer though. The MV60 is a great amp and with Teflon cap upgrades its in LP70s territory.
I just got an LP70s from a friend who wishes to sell it. I will post impressions in a few days.

Very nice, eager to read your impressions. :music:

Puma Cat
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Very nice, eager to read your impressions. :music:

Me, too!

ronenash
01-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I have been doing some comparissions between the LP125m SE and the LP70S this weekend. I have to first state that the LP70s has the Winged-C 6550C power tubes in it the the LP125 have the KT120 which might account for some of the differences.

Both amps are clearly have the modern CJ sound. In the area of harmonics, tonality and resolution they are very similar and I could not put my hand on any clear differences. It does seem the LP125 brings out a little more detail but the difference is small. Of course the LP125 have more drive power with 4 power tube per channel.
In the area of soundstaging and imaging the LP125 has a clear advantage. It throws a wider and deaper soundstage with every instrument more focused and better located in space. The LP125 gives you that "walk up and shake hands with the musicians" feeling that the LP70s is missing.
With that said I would live happily with both amps and I think the LP70s present a tremendous value on the used market. If I had it before buying the LP125 I would buy it in a second and enjoy the music.

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your impressions, keep them coming as you get to know the LP70S.

I think the extra bit of detail in the LP125Ms are coming from the KT-120s because I noticed more detail installing them over my Winged C 6550s.

Regarding the soundstaging and imaging improvements, this is, as I'm sure you know, from the monoblock configuration. Conrad-Johnson told me exactly the same thing when I discussed converting a pair of Premier11As to monoblocks. They say that reason for the improvements in imaging and soundstaging are due to having two separate chassis with completely separate and isolated power supplies and transformers (and physically separating the amps), which results in notably less channel crosstalk, thereby improving soundstaging and imaging. They described the improvements exactly as you have. That being said, I found the imaging somewhat improved using the KT-120s over the 6550s in my LP70.

I think if you were comparing LP140Ms and LP125Ms with the same tubes, you'd find them very, very comparable.

ronenash
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your impressions, keep them coming as you get to know the LP70S.

I think the extra bit of detail in the LP125Ms are coming from the KT-120s because I noticed more detail installing them over my Winged C 6550s.

Regarding the soundstaging and imaging improvements, this is, as I'm sure you know, from the monoblock configuration. Conrad-Johnson told me exactly the same thing when I discussed converting a pair of Premier11As to monoblocks. They say that reason for the improvements in imaging and soundstaging are due to having two separate chassis with completely separate and isolated power supplies and transformers (and physically separating the amps), which results in notably less channel crosstalk, thereby improving soundstaging and imaging. They described the improvements exactly as you have. That being said, I found the imaging somewhat improved using the KT-120s over the 6550s in my LP70.

I think if you were comparing LP140Ms and LP125Ms with the same tubes, you'd find them very, very comparable.

You are absolutely correct about the monoblock configuration. I think the added power driving the SF Amati's may also account for some of the difference.
One thing that did surprise me is that the noise level of the LP125m is far improved from the LP70s. The LP125m are absolutely silent. With the LP125m and my ear pressed close to the tweeter I hear nothing. With the LP70s you get the typical tube amp noise also it is far too low to disturb me and far lower than my Beard P100 amp.
One thing that does bother me with the LP70 is a low level of hum that I can not get rid of. It is connected to the same power distribution box as the LP125. Did you have this problem with your LP70? Just to explain, it is a low level hum that does not bother me when listening to music but it does exist.

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Ron, yes, I have a ground loop issue with when I added my Premier 17 or CT-5 to the system; I now have to use a 69¢ cheater plug with my expensive $750 Shunyata Black Mamba HC CX power cord to break the hum on my LP70S. Nothing else I've done will get rid of it. I did not have this problem with it when I was using my PV12 preamp for the first 7 months I owned the L70S in 2010, as the PV12 had a captive 2-prong power cord. As soon as I added the Premier 17 with it's three prong replaceable IEC power cord, I had the ground loop issue.

goone
01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Same here I have to use a cheater plug for my LP70S when using with 16ls, and et5

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Yup. I know that drill. :p

IIRC, the reviewer for Stereophile had a ground loop with the LP125Ms he was reviewing. Turns out he had to lift the ground on one, but not the other! Go figure.

Rafale
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
believe me the difference is far from being subtle, body/presence/authorithy, harmonic/tone richness are far better with LP140M vs LP70s, the more complex is the musical message and the more the gains are blatant, it at low level as at high level

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Not surprised about that...these are all the advantages of more power and monoblocks...that's why they build them that way! ;)

How is the GAT doing with running in?

Rafale
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Stepehn....GAT with EAT ECC88 selected is ORGANIC, HOLOGRAPHIC,.....it reminds me the hologrames of Minority Report

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Sounds wonderful....maybe I will hear one one day.

For time being, I'm having to suffer with the CT-5 and Premier 17...;)

Rafale
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Stephen... 'you have the right to suffer'

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 05:31 PM
heheh.

Rafale
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
John Lee Hooker It Serves me right to suffer - YouTube

ronenash
01-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Ron, yes, I have a ground loop issue with when I added my Premier 17 or CT-5 to the system; I now have to use a 69¢ cheater plug with my expensive $750 Shunyata Black Mamba HC CX power cord to break the hum on my LP70S. Nothing else I've done will get rid of it. I did not have this problem with it when I was using my PV12 preamp for the first 7 months I owned the L70S in 2010, as the PV12 had a captive 2-prong power cord. As soon as I added the Premier 17 with it's three prong replaceable IEC power cord, I had the ground loop issue.

With over 500v running inside the amp I am a bit worried to lift the ground on the LP70s or any tube power amp for that matter. Anything goes wrong inside and you are in some serious trouble without the grounding to protect you. :scratch2:

Rafale
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
With over 500v running inside the amp I am a bit worried to lift the ground on the LP70s or any tube power amp for that matter. Anything goes wrong inside and you are in some serious trouble without the grounding to protect you. :scratch2:

wise:yes: