PDA

View Full Version : Bellari V129 tubed phono stage.

PHC1
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok, so I got my new TT all setup and ready to go. Except there is one problem, no phono stage (awaiting the EAR 324) and the TT didn't fit on my planned for it rack that I have.... :sigh:

What to do? :scratch2:

I ran out and bought the Bellari Rolls V129 tubed phono stage that has headphone output on it and this allowed me to give all the hard work I put into the setup a listen. :D

I really didn't expect this $250 phono stage to do anything special for the price and really didn't know what to expect from this new TT/Arm/Cart either. The only known piece of the puzzle were my trusty Senn's HD650 headphone. :music:

Well, I can't tell you what's responsible for what since there are so many unknowns to me in this equation but the combination is extremely satisfying, warm, sweet and very, very "musical". :music:

As I experiment with a different phono stage later on (solid state) I will be able to compare the two to see what the difference brings. Right now though, the sonic signature is buttery smooth, warm, relaxed, with just enough resolution and "air" to keep things interesting and with a smooth dynamic response that doesn't accentuate or emphasise anything in particular but just makes the music flow in most natural, relaxed way possible.

The bass is warm and round but not bloated, the highs are very smooth and delicate with nice sparkle and not an ounce of harshness or grain but not extended into the stratosphere either. The midrange is simply drop dead gorgeous, Diana Krall's voice is simply ethereal.

I also gave a well recorded classic record a spin and the violins and cellos were simply spectacular. The harmonic texture of those stringed instruments was wet and dripping with richness, the instrument's bodies were portrayed with a golden glow of the strings and enriched with a wooden overtones of the body of the instruments. Most enjoyable! :music: The oboe was both delicate, sweet and natural sounding and I could hear the air moving out of them... This analog thing, really has it going on!!!

Man, I am impressed with this combo for sheer musicality. :thumbsup:

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Clearaudio table with an acrylic platter but the combination bowled me over with the richness and sweetness of it's sonic signature. I am sure the highly recommended Clearaudio Maestro Wood cartridge (special thanks to Alberto!) has a lot to do with it but I can't exclude the fact that some of this richness could be coming from the Bellari tubed phono stage either. At least through the headphones, the phono stage is very quiet. As I eventually install this turntable into my main system, I'll follow up on this.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/PHC1_2007/Clearaudio/IMG_1046.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/PHC1_2007/Clearaudio/IMG_1050.jpg

Alberto
06-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Serge,

One more thing we have in common :thumbsup:. Or only one thing now that the McIntoshes gave way to the Lamm and Ayres and the Guarneris to the Willies :D.

I also have a Bellari for my phono experiments (see pic) and I think it's a great sounding little phono stage (with bonus headphone amp).

After a more careful re-reading of the post, I realized that we also have the Maestro in common. Bravo! I am glad you decided to try it and happy you like it.

I look forward to reading more about your audio adventures.

Alberto

PHC1
06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Serge,

One more thing we have in common :thumbsup:. Or only one thing now that the McIntoshes gave way to the Lamm and Ayres and the Guarneris to the Willies :D.

I also have a Bellari for my phono experiments (see pic) and I think it's a great sounding little phono stage (with bonus headphone amp).

After a more careful re-reading of the post, I realized that we also have the Maestro in common. Bravo! I am glad you decided to try it and happy you like it.

I look forward to reading more about your audio adventures.

Alberto Alberto, thanks for the recommendation of the Maestro Wood, I like the sonic signature a lot. Very musical and enough resolution/detail/air to keep things interesting. Really a great MM cartridge. :thumbsup:

gregswaim
06-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice pixxx Serge! :thumbsup:
I'm glad that you've got the vinyl thing happening. The EAR 324 will transform your listening experience completely- the downside is that it will reveal flaws associated with your new TT- you'll probably feel a strong need to upgrade after you get it into your system. The 324 is a first rate phono stage and I'm sure that you'll be most satisfied with it. As you seemed to have experienced already, external phono stages are a good thing - even cheap ones.:D

PHC1
06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice pixxx Serge! :thumbsup:
I'm glad that you've got the vinyl thing happening. The EAR 324 will transform your listening experience completely- the downside is that it will reveal flaws associated with your new TT- you'll probably feel a strong need to upgrade after you get it into your system. The 324 is a first rate phono stage and I'm sure that you'll be most satisfied with it. As you seemed to have experienced already, external phono stages are a good thing - even cheap ones.:D

A strong need to upgrade? Yeah, you're right, there is always a strong need to upgrade.... :D I've been reading up on the Basis turntables, I like their design philosophy and the meticulous/precise workmanship. Check out some of their white papers. I am so glad I didn't just jump into an expensive turntable right from the get go, there are so many to choose from out there. :scratch2: Basis Audio, Inc. (http://basisaudio.com/)

gregswaim
06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
A strong need to upgrade? Yeah, you're right, there is always a strong need to upgrade.... :D I've been reading up on the Basis turntables, I like their design philosophy and the meticulous/precise workmanship. Check out some of their white papers. I am so glad I didn't just jump into an expensive turntable right from the get go, there are so many to choose from out there. :scratch2: Basis Audio, Inc. (http://basisaudio.com/)

Those are some very nice looking tables for sure! :yes: The number of choices these days for TT's are daunting to say the least. So many options and accessories....:scratch2:

Jean-Marc jmajma
06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello Serge,

I didn't think you were going for Clearaudio TTs !

Anyway congrats on your purchase and welcome in the vinyl club.

I chose the Satisfy Ebony arm coupled with the Symphony cart (which is ebony wood too) because my dealer said it would bring some warmth, and I must admit he was right; I too was anxious (like you in another thread if I remember) with the possible harshness or coldness that could bring the very big acrilyc plate of my Champion Level II but I can say now that this combination is made in heaven.

I was very interested in your setup thread and I will follow it until you'll put the EAR in the system and give your impressions.

Thank you very much for your always highly interesting posts.

Jean-Marc.

PHC1
06-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Hello Serge,

I didn't think you were going for Clearaudio TTs !

Anyway congrats on your purchase and welcome in the vinyl club.

I chose the Satisfy Ebony arm coupled with the Symphony cart (which is ebony wood too) because my dealer said it would bring some warmth, and I must admit he was right; I too was anxious (like you in another thread if I remember) with the possible harshness or coldness that could bring the very big acrilyc plate of my Champion Level II but I can say now that this combination is made in heaven.

I was very interested in your setup thread and I will follow it until you'll put the EAR in the system and give your impressions.

Thank you very much for your always highly interesting posts.

Jean-Marc.

Jean-Marc, I actually had a VPI Classic in mind at first... Then my dealer called and gave me the heads up that the 2 he had in stock were not perfect, expect some "blemishes" he said.... :sigh: To which I replied, no thanks.... :icon_thumbsdown:

I then found a great deal on the Clearaudio and had no doubt in my mind that the German engineered table would at least bring decent quality. The VPI Classic may have very well been a better sounding table at this price point since the creator claims it is one of his best designs but I expect the table to look perfect when you are paying close to $3k for it.... Is that too much to ask these days???

I am not disappointed at all with the Clearaudio, I think it is a great design with the Ceramic/Magnetic bearing, the plinth and platter look attractive and are of great quality build and the tonearm is also great. Best part is that it sounds great so far. :music: I'll let you know what I think once I migrate it over to my main system with the EAR phono stage.

phil_er_up
06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I also have a Bellari V129 tubed Bellari phono stage and really like it. I agree it is warm sounding and has nice bass and overall a very good piece of equipment that does not cost too much.

2 things I will add about this:
1) Do you ever get a hum from the wires on the bellari?
2) I cracked my bellari tube when my budda fell on it. It only cracked the tube and I replaced it with a gold end of that series of tube and it improved the sound from bellari quite a bit. The gold end was 10 dollars more then the original tube. Great upgrade!

Funny was I took apart the stereo for the 20 amp upgrades and forgot to plug the TT back into the bellari and had it connected to the Mac C45 Phono and it did not sound good at all. I would not be able to listen to the phono stage from the Mac C45 after running the TT with the bellari.

PHC1
06-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I also have a Bellari V129 tubed Bellari phono stage and really like it. I agree it is warm sounding and has nice bass and overall a very good piece of equipment that does not cost too much.

2 things I will add about this:
1) Do you ever get a hum from the wires on the bellari?
2) I cracked my bellari tube when my budda fell on it. It only cracked the tube and I replaced it with a gold end of that series of tube and it improved the sound from bellari quite a bit. The gold end was 10 dollars more then the original tube. Great upgrade!

Funny was I took apart the stereo for the 20 amp upgrades and forgot to plug the TT back into the bellari and had it connected to the Mac C45 Phono and it did not sound good at all. I would not be able to listen to the phono stage from the Mac C45 after running the TT with the bellari.

I am sure that a tube upgrade is worthwhile on it. Mine seems to have an ElectroHarmonix tube, I'll take a closer look. I didn't notice any hum yet but I am listening through headphones so far. :scratch2:

jdandy
06-07-2009, 04:36 PM
phil er up.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

phil_er_up
06-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I am sure that a tube upgrade is worthwhile on it. Mine seems to have an ElectroHarmonix tube, I'll take a closer look. I didn't notice any hum yet but I am listening through headphones so far. :scratch2:

From Soundstage about bellari:
SoundStage! "Vinyl Word" - Bellari VP129 Phono Stage (6/2008) (http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl20080615.htm)

"The company boasts that the unit utilizes all-tube circuitry and the output stage features one dual-triode 12AX7. This is a common tube, so its use allows for the owner to experiment with other tube brands, opening up a sonic playground where the owner experiences the sonic qualities of different tubes. The claimed signal-to-noise ratio is fairly high at greater than 80dB unweighted, while equalization is RIAA +/- 1.5dB, 20Hz-20kHz."

I ordered from needle Doctor and here is the web page:
Search Results (http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store?search=12AX7)

My tube says "tung - 12AX7" and its the gold one.
I think it was this one:
Tung-Sol 12AX7 Tube Gold Pins (http://www.needledoctor.com/Tung-Sol-12AX7-Tube-Gold-Pins)

This is what they say about that tube: "The Ultimate 12AX7. Big, warm, and musical."

phil_er_up
06-07-2009, 04:54 PM
phil er up.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

-p

ehoove
06-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I have used the Bellari VP129 for 2 years now, and have rolled several tubes in it. The Mullard Reissue has been the go back to tube in my system, and the headphone output has kept the Bellari in my system for longer than I had expected. It is a giant killer in my opinion.
Regards,
Jim

PHC1
06-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, there is a little bit of hum from the Bellari in my main system. Not too bad, once the music starts, it is irrelevant and I can't hear it during the quiet passages either. My Lamm tubed preamp also hummed a bit but once the music starts, oh man, gorgeous sound. :yes:

Alberto
06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, there is a little bit of hum from the Bellari in my main system. Not too bad, once the music starts, it is irrelevant and I can't hear it during the quiet passages either. My Lamm tubed preamp also hummed a bit but once the music starts, oh man, gorgeous sound. :yes:

I am sure you've taken care of this already, but with the phono cables, dressing and keeping them really far from other cables and components is very important. I get no discernible hum from my phono stages (including the Bellari) but I route the cables very carefully. If I move it even an inch closer to, say, the turntable motor or a transformer I get hum as well. Right now, the tube rush becomes noticeable way before I can hear any hum.

Alberto

PHC1
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I am sure you've taken care of this already, but with the phono cables, dressing and keeping them really far from other cables and components is very important. I get no discernible hum from my phono stages (including the Bellari) but I route the cables very carefully. If I move it even an inch closer to, say, the turntable motor or a transformer I get hum as well. Right now, the tube rush becomes noticeable way before I can hear any hum.

Alberto

I'll play around a bit with the cables. Thanks Alberto. :thumbsup:

US Blues
06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
My tube says "tung - 12AX7" and its the gold one.
I think it was this one:
Tung-Sol 12AX7 Tube Gold Pins (http://www.needledoctor.com/Tung-Sol-12AX7-Tube-Gold-Pins)

This is what they say about that tube: "The Ultimate 12AX7. Big, warm, and musical."

I've had the pleasure of hearing phil-er-up's system before and after the new tube and I can say it made a very noticeable and welcome improvement. "Big, warm and musical" is an accurate description of the sound. :thumbsup: