PDA

View Full Version : Music Matters Jazz

Old Grey
12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Any Music Matters jazz fans out there? If so, you may find this interesting:

I recently received Sonny Rollins' "Newk's Time". Oddly, I noticed the right channel will occasionally drop in volume -examples at 2:10, 3:37, 4:22, and 4:45 on Side One. Not sure what the issue was, I contacted them directly and they sent me the following link to explain:

Sonny Rollins: Newk's Time (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=40154&pg=1)

Turns out Rollins just wouldn't stay still and the masters reflect it -just another way these albums connect you to the music.

FranklinLG
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Awesome. I am current on the set and will need to play that. Thanks so much for sharing about his!

Myles B. Astor
12-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Any Music Matters jazz fans out there? If so, you may find this interesting:

I recently received Sonny Rollins' "Newk's Time". Oddly, I noticed the right channel will occasionally drop in volume -examples at 2:10, 3:37, 4:22, and 4:45 on Side One. Not sure what the issue was, I contacted them directly and they sent me the following link to explain:

Sonny Rollins: Newk's Time (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=40154&pg=1)

Turns out Rollins just wouldn't stay still and the masters reflect it -just another way these albums connect you to the music.

I've heard the same phenomena on other RVG recordings too! the actual recording eludes me but remember one where the left channel just seems to drop out totally, then comes back. It almost sounds as if Rudy turned the mike off. Weird as hell to hear.

sibelius
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I've heard the same phenomena on other RVG recordings too! the actual recording eludes me but remember one where the left channel just seems to drop out totally, then comes back. It almost sounds as if Rudy turned the mike off. Weird as hell to hear.

Yes, I love the MM series. I've probably picked up close to 85% of the series so far. Amazing sound and production quality. I would not be suprised if these become future collectors items. Yes, $50 per offering is not cheap but I can't recommend these more highly. If you love Blue Note Jazz you have to listen to these.

If you go to the Steve Hoffman forum there is a long standing thread that covers the MM series - often release by release.

PHC1
12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm a subscriber through Elusive Disc. They come automatically every time. :thumbsup: Love 'em. :music:

vintage_tube
12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I've been a subscriber thru MMJ since the beginning & like so many others have reported, MMJ is the 'holy grail' of any past or present Jazz/Blues remastering effort by anyone, period. Others can only strive to reach their level of perfection.

Bob

Puma Cat
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Others can only strive to reach their level of perfection.

Bob

I agree with you guys on the Music Matter Jazz reissues, and own many of them. I think they are superb in all respects, particulary regarding the execution of the product.

That being said, I respectfully do not agree with the statement that others can only strive to reach their level of perfection. I feel the Speakers Corner reissues are every bit as good as MMJ, and as they are on 33 instead of 45, are more convenient to listen to. I feel that Speakers Corners remaster/repress reissues are continuing to get better all the time, and are every bit the quality of the MMJ releases. in fact, my favorite source of many re-masters/re-press/reissued LPs is Speakers Corner due to the consistency of superior product, superb remastering quality, and pressings of non pareil quality. The Illinois Jacquet recent release is a superb example of this.

Moreover, the pressings by Analogue Productions coming out of Quality Record Pressings are exemplary and are also every bit as good as Music Matters, if not better.

So, while my comments in no way diminishes the superb product from MMJ, there are other companies that can product LPs that are every bit as good, IMO.

Myles B. Astor
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Some of the SCs were mastered by Kevin Gray. I might be wrong but the sC Verves were done by Kevin.

Also don't you find the sound of SC variable since they're done by several remastering engineers depending upon where the master tapes are?

sibelius
12-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree with you guys on the Music Matter Jazz reissues, and own many of them. I think they are superb in all respects, particulary regarding the execution of the product.

That being said, I respectfully do not agree with the statement that others can only strive to reach their level of perfection. I feel the Speakers Corner reissues are every bit as good as MMJ, and as they are on 33 instead of 45, are more convenient to listen to. I feel that Speakers Corners remaster/repress reissues are continuing to get better all the time, and are every bit the quality of the MMJ releases. in fact, my favorite source of many re-masters/re-press/reissued LPs is Speakers Corner due to the consistency of superior product, superb remastering quality, and pressings of non pareil quality. The Illinois Jacquet recent release is a superb example of this.

Moreover, the pressings by Analogue Productions coming out of Quality Record Pressings are exemplary and are also every bit as good as Music Matters, if not better.

So, while my comments in no way diminishes the superb product from MMJ, there are other companies that can product LPs that are every bit as good, IMO.

I don't think the Quality Record Pressings are as good, as a whole, as the MMJ ones. I think some of the issues may be in their decision to use 200 instead of 180 gram pressings. I've never had any quality problems with MMJ but have noticed some minor issues with some of the QRP products I've purchased. In my experience 200g pressings seem to inherently have more problems, regardless of who is in charge of quality control.

All that being said I agree with your main point that there is nothing that keeps others from offering product at the same quality level as MMJ. The almost uniform praise of MMJ is helping to raise the bar for others who aspire to produce audiophile quality records. A good example where Analogue Productions stepped up and hit one out of the park, IMO, is the 5 disc Nat King Cole Story. At $150 it's not cheap but the product execution is almost flawless across the board.

My $.02

btf1980
12-15-2011, 06:51 AM

I just don't feel Speakers Corner is in the same league with Music Matters. In every category, from fidelity to LP jacket quality, Music Matters is better. I have a lot of superb sounding titles from Speakers Corner, but there are also some that leave a lot to be desired. Now, that could be due to a lot of things from the source of the tapes used in the mastering process etc and other things we may not be privy to, but I can't unequivocally say that all Speakers Corner LPs sound great. I can say that about Music Matters.

In terms of presentation, packaging, LP jacket/sleeves etc, there simply is no comparison between Speakers Corner and Music Matters. Speakers Corner doesn't even come close in that regard.

I have quite a few of the QRP releases from AP, they are great as well. I agree. :thumbsup:

Josquin des Prez
01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I have about 14 Music Matters titles. They are all great quality, beautiful presentation. The QRP albums are great too. I have the new Verve subscription and the first four issues are first rate, although I really prefer the gatefold sleeves we get with Music Matters.

I have had a couple quality control issues with Analog Productions stuff, but so far the QRP issues have been spot on.

I agree with PC that the Speakers Corner reissues are excellent and worth collecting. It's nice to see some classical get the high end remaster treatment as well as jazz and pop.

Masterlu
01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
RaceTripper... Welcome! :wave:

Josquin des Prez
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Received my latest Music Matters album today: a numbered, sealed copy of the out of print Hank Mobley "Soul Station." It's on the Okki Nokki now for an initial cleaning. I look forward to playing it this evening. :thumbsup:

FranklinLG
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
RaceTripper,

Why do you clean your new records? Just curious.

f1 fan
01-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Received my latest Music Matters album today: a signed, sealed copy of the out of print Hank Mobley "Soul Station." It's on the Okki Nokki now for an initial cleaning. I look forward to playing it this evening. :thumbsup:

Race...nice find with Hank Mobley, its a great jazz lp, congrats!

Dave

Josquin des Prez
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
RaceTripper,

Why do you clean your new records? Just curious.
I've been told the most important time to clean a record is when it is new, and that's what I do. It lossens and removes mold release compounds left over from the record pressing process, which can otherwise contribute to pops and ticks later. Do I know this for a fact? No, but I've been told that on more than one ocassion, including by the folks at Acoustic Sounds, who are in the business of mastering and pressing high end records.

But I don't even need to be told to do it. I get a lot of records that are visibly dirty out of the shrink wrap, including Music Matters releases. i don't play a record until it has been cleaned. I use an Okki Nokki RCM and Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions. That has worked great for me.

Josquin des Prez
01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Race...nice find with Hank Mobley, its a great jazz lp, congrats!

DaveThanks, I actually already have an older French EMI issue from the 80s. This copy is [expensive] icing on the cake. :D