PDA

View Full Version : MM or MC - Questions

MC352
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Since I am getting back into my TT more, I am becoming curious about a couple of things.

Why would you pick a MC cartridge over a MM, or vise versa?

If you pick a MC and don't have a MC input on your pre amp, where would you plug your phono pre amp into? Aux?

Why are MC's better then MM?

gregswaim
06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Since I am getting back into my TT more, I am becoming curious about a couple of things.

Why would you pick a MC cartridge over a MM, or vise versa?

If you pick a MC and don't have a MC input on your pre amp, where would you plug your phono pre amp into? Aux?

Why are MC's better then MM?

Most that choose a MC vs MM pickups is because it reveals more details,dynamics/bigger sound stage,ect. Very few that choose MC pickups ever go back to MM. Pricing has a influence on choices- how much can you afford?
The inputs on the back of my MA6500 are all the same- just a different label to sort things out. The only exception is the Aux/Phono combo. The Aux input is the same as the rest but there's also a small switch on the back that can be moved in order to take advantage of the internal MM phono stage so this input serves as a dual purpose input. The built in MM phono stage is very good but a good external phono stage with separate power supply will reveal more information on playback. Lots of good choices these days for phono stages.

Removed
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I find MM to be more of a rocker cart with MC being a bit more refined. MC seems to extract the finer details needed for vocals, jazz etc. however don't discount MM cart as there are some fine one's out there. I use both types and each has thier own place.

MM may be less critical in regards to arm cart match than MC and there is the loading issues assoiated with MC cart and stages. Arm and cart can be a deal breaker but more with MC IMO.............

gregswaim
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I find MM to be more of a rocker cart with MC being a bit more refined. MC seems to extract the finer details needed for vocals, jazz etc. however don't discount MM cart as there are some fine one's out there. I use both types and each has thier own place.

MM may be less critical in regards to arm cart match than MC and there is the loading issues assoiated with MC cart and stages. Arm and cart can be a deal breaker but more with MC IMO.............

+1. Better pickups require upgrades for tonearms because of tracking and other issues. Starting off with a really good TT base in the beginning will minimize the need to start over with a new/better rig later on, so the focus for upgrades can be isolated to tonearms/pickups, power supplies, phono stages,ect.

thisOne
06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Some say that if you want to spend less than a thousand bucks on a cart you should get a MM one, but if you want a cart that costs more than a thousand bucks then you're wasting money on an MM cart at that price and you should get a MC one.

It apparently has to do with the build quality and the expense of it. It takes more cost and effort to build a better moving coil than it takes for a moving magnet one. And there is a point at which you can't either manufacture a better magnet or make it move better. But you can make a better moving coil.

But since the better sound is the function of individual pair of ears the debate on how more expensive cart sounds (after some price point) can go on forever (and it does)

On the subject of your preamp not having a MC phono stage...., well, then you need either a separate one or (better yet) a step up transformer.

Here (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stepup/primer.html) is a good article on MC carts and step up transformers.

Of course, you can take the middle of the road and get a HOMC cart (a High Output Moving Coil cart) and run it through your MM phono stage.

So now we have another debate..., HOMC or LOMC???

...this should take more than forever

gregswaim
06-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Some say that if you want to spend less than a thousand bucks on a cart you should get a MM one, but if you want a cart that costs more than a thousand bucks then you're wasting money on an MM cart at that price and you should get a MC one.

It apparently has to do with the build quality and the expense of it. It takes more cost and effort to build a better moving coil than it a moving magnet. And there is a point at which you can't either manufacture a better magnet or make it move better. But you can make a better moving coil.

But since the better sound is the function of individual pair of ears the debate on how more expensive cart (after some price point) can go on forever (and it does)

On the subject of your preamp not having a MC phono stage...., well, then you need either a separate one or (better yet) a step up transformer.

Here (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stepup/primer.html) is a good article on MC carts and step up transformers.

Of course, you can take the middle of the road and get a HOMC cart (a High Output Moving Coil cart) and run it through your MM phono stage.

So now we have another debate..., HOMC or LOMC???

...this should take more than forever

You have a very good point- HOMC vs LOMC. A really good external phono stage will take care of this issue altogether. If you're stuck with one of those fixed output MC phono stages and have a low output MC pickup then you'll always have to really crank the volume in order to experience the moment. I've yet to hear a decent high output MC that would work for a MM input. In my opinion pick either a MM pickup or a reasonable output MC- unless you've got a EAR 324 phono stage then you're covered. :D