PDA

View Full Version : Tight Holes on 200 gram LP

all2ears
12-01-2011, 05:53 AM
I've been running into a issue with 200 gram LPs in that the holes are tight on my McIntosh MT10 turntable - Sometimes they won't even fit the turntable spindle - It had only been the 200 gram records and I hate returning them

Anyone else have this happen? Any solutions?

MyPal
12-01-2011, 06:07 AM
I've been running into a issue with 200 gram LPs in that the holes are tight on my McIntosh MT10 turntable - Sometimes they won't even fit the turntable spindle - It had only been the 200 gram records and I hate returning them

Anyone else have this happen? Any solutions?

You could try using a Dremmel on the hole at slow speed to widen the diameter.

BearCubinNY
12-01-2011, 06:54 AM
You could try using a Dremmel on the hole at slow speed to widen the diameter.

+1 :thumbsup:

I've had to use my Dremmel on quite a few of my albums as well. I have a ClearAudio Double Matrix Record Cleaner. It does an outstanding job cleaning both sides at once. The only drawback is that the spindle is slightly thicker than most of my albums. I thought about trying to shave the spindle down. But after seeing how easy addressing the vinyl was, I went that direction. The way I see it, it's just one additional "step" in my vinyl process.

I scarfed one of my wife's fancy trash pales that's covered with soft material. I have it positioned next to the cleaner with the Dremmel at the ready. It takes me less than 10 seconds to place the album over the pale and "tap" the opening. I use the Dremmel's highest speed though. YMMV

Good luck!

Reg

turntable
12-02-2011, 08:00 AM
All you need is a sharp smallish kitchen knife. Put it into the LP hole and gently turn the knife around. Some of the vinyl will come off. Check to see if it fits, if not take a little more of the inside vinyl off again. Just try to take it off evenly.

Cheers

PHC1
12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
A small reamer would probably be even easier.

AudioNut
12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I've been using a flat head screwdriver to enlarge the holes on hundreds of records over many years. The tip of the screwdriver is slightly tapered - so you just insert it into the hole until the blade stops, then rotate using gentle pressure, removing vinyl until the hole is the size you need.

Voila - the hole will be enlarged in a perfectly round fashion to whatever extent you need for it to be enlarged! I usually go into the hole from both sides of the record to make it uniform.

You can do the exact same job with a pocket knife - but I prefer the screwdriver. The important thing is to rotate the implement to ensure that the hole remains "round".

http://www.flatheadscrewdriver.net/img/flat-head-screwdriver-image.jpg

streetspirit
12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I've been using a flat head screwdriver to enlarge the holes on hundreds of records over many years. The tip of the screwdriver is slightly tapered - so you just insert it into the hole until the blade stops, then rotate using gentle pressure, removing vinyl until the hole is the size you need.

Voila - the hole will be enlarged in a perfectly round fashion to whatever extent you need for it to be enlarged! I usually go into the hole from both sides of the record to make it uniform.

You can do the exact same job with a pocket knife - but I prefer the screwdriver. The important thing is to rotate the implement to ensure that the hole remains "round".

http://www.flatheadscrewdriver.net/img/flat-head-screwdriver-image.jpg

Nice and easy! I'm going to have to do this on a few of mine as well, thanks!

Face
12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
A small reamer would probably be even easier.
And probably safer.

audiopoor
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I have always kept a 9/32 drill bit along side my tt, or at least in my accessories drawer to enlarge tight spindle holes. Just spin the bit by hand to remove the burr. No other tools needed. Most of the time there's only a small shaving to pick up with you fingers.
Good luck Harv

Masterlu
12-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is my solution:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NbzeAOBNL.jpg

Works like a Champ!

Amazon.com: Empire Level 27770 T-Handled Tapered Reamer: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-27770-T-Handled-Tapered/dp/B001DZE5FW/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1322965388&sr=1-2)