PDA

View Full Version : CA200 plays ....

joeinid
12-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Well, she's hooked up and playing nicely. Here is a photo and she's in the spot where the 911mk3 was :thumbsup: temporarily of course :yes:. As usual, it sounded crappy out of the box but now that it's a little warm it's opening up and there's more bloom and weight. So far, so good. I am not sure how broken in it is, but for the money, it's a screaming deal. I tested "EPL 2 in" or "Theater" input and, in fact, it relies on the input to control volume, etc. A big thumbs up for using a preamp before it :scratch2:.

Puma Cat
12-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Joe, she's gorgeous!

It looks so new that it may not be very broken in at all...I'd just leave her on all the time. As you spend many hours a day listening to music, it shouldn't take more than a week or so to run in if in fact it's pretty new. I don't believe the CA200 had Teflon caps.
Good to hear you'll be able to bypass the passive pre and use the ET-5.

Alternatively, you can always send it to me for running in! :D

joeinid
12-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Joe, she's gorgeous!

It looks so new that it may not be very broken in at all...I'd just leave her on all the time. As you spend many hours a day listening to music, it shouldn't take more than a week or so to run in if in fact it's pretty new. I don't believe the CA200 had Teflon caps.

Which one? The ET-5 or the CA200? Ha! No :no:, well maybe :yes:.

Yes, very clean. Looks new! A great score indeed.

It really is sounding better now. I've been cranking it. :banana:

When cold out of the box, there was no sound stage and it was compressed. Yuk! Now, Big sound stage, more layers, more open. :music:More Conrad Johnson sweet sounds.

Puma Cat
12-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Which one? The ET-5 or the CA200? Ha! No :no:, well maybe :yes:.

Ha! :D

Well, I was thinking the CA200, but if you want me to run in the ET-5 for you, that can be arranged. I can send you the CT-5 to use in the interim! ;)

Yes, very clean. Looks new! A great score indeed.

It really is sounding better now. I've been cranking it. :banana:

When cold out of the box, there was no sound stage and it was compressed. Yuk! Now, Big sound stage, more layers, more open. :music:More Conrad Johnson sweet sounds.

It looks gor-jay-oos, as the Dutch say. Definitely a great score. Remember I have dibs on it if you ever decide to pass it on to another member of the AA family!

As were discussing, it may well be new enough that it's not very run-in yet; my expectation would be by the end of the week, or this time next week, it will be beautiful-sounding. Ron can also give you some insights into run-in time. I know for my Shunyata Hydra power distributor, it sounded dreadful when I first plugged it in, so I ran it connected to the HDTV system for 10 days and then plugged it back into the stereo and it was transformed into all sorts of Shunayata wondrousness.

joeinid
12-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Thanks Stephen for all the guidance, much appreciated. I am happy with it, but of course I heard you call shotgun :)

I am using a WireWorld Silver Electra (?) AC cord and a 1 meter Cardas Golden Ref RCA to the McIntosh MCD1100. Nice simple setup. The Sonos with the Wyred mod is plugged into the MCD1100 with a D-60 Illuminations digital cable.

All in all, very nice.

Puma Cat
12-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Great to hear; we will want daily reports, you know! ;)

I am very happy for you...:thumbsup:

joeinid
12-01-2011, 04:18 AM
I will, I will. She sounds better already :)

Puma Cat
12-01-2011, 04:33 AM
I will, I will. She sounds better already :)

:)

klipschfan
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Joe...Looks nice!. Have fun experimenting...:thumbsup:

joeinid
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Joe...Looks nice!. Have fun experimenting...:thumbsup:

Thanks Brian. There is so much good gear, I'm having a blast. If anyone is even thinking of one, run don't walk.

Pider
12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Joe, congratulations! PC has been trying to get me to get one of these, but I refuse to buy until I hear. None that I know of in my (Portland) area. Where are you in ID? Might have to fuel up the plane and come have a listen! The way you folks talk about this unit, I'm getting more and more interested.

joeinid
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Joe, congratulations! PC has been trying to get me to get one of these, but I refuse to buy until I hear. None that I know of in my (Portland) area. Where are you in ID? Might have to fuel up the plane and come have a listen! The way you folks talk about this unit, I'm getting more and more interested.

Thanks Pider. Ha! ID is not a state I live in but a department I work in :smoking:. I think someone on the forum, JJinID is from ID? I'm on Long Island so the cost of the trip might be prohibitive for you. Gary from Summit Sound in ME had a display piece he was selling and I could not refuse. He was a super nice guy to deal with and packed it very well. It looks brand new and has been playing since I got it. I think AndyPandy might think it sounds slow (his words), but I like it. It's a musical piece, very non-fatiguing.

Joe

nz022
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I bought mine about 3 years ago after a 5 minute audition in my home.

I was primarily looking for a "one box unit" that sounded OK. This was to simplify my audio gear and sell off all of the tubes and gear that I was accumulating.

I was lured by simplicity, but captivated by the sound of the CA200.

Masterlu
12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
nz022... Welcome! :wave:

joeinid
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I bought mine about 3 years ago after a 5 minute audition in my home.

I was primarily looking for a "one box unit" that sounded OK. This was to simplify my audio gear and sell off all of the tubes and gear that I was accumulating.

I was lured by simplicity, but captivated by the sound of the CA200.

Hi nz022,

Welcome! Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you like yours. This little box sounds great. I can't wait to use my ET5 with it and see, err hear what that does to the sound.

Glad to see you here.

Joe

AndyPandy
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I think AndyPandy might think it sounds slow (his words), but I like it. It's a musical piece, very non-fatiguing.

Joe
I've never heard the CA 200. I bet I'd love it if I heard it. My comment was re my ET3 - but it should be taken in the context of break in and not applied generally to CJ gear. Besides as we all know its system dependant - I bet when I get my actives going and my Mytek (which has a sonic signature much like your Lio 8 - which I have owned - ie transparent) in there it will work beautifully.

Cheers
Andy

joeinid
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Joe
I've never heard the CA 200. I bet I'd love it if I heard it. My comment was re my ET3 - but it should be taken in the context of break in and not applied generally to CJ gear. Besides as we all know its system dependant - I bet when I get my actives going and my Mytek (which has a sonic signature much like your Lio 8 - which I have owned - ie transparent) in there it will work beautifully.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

Totally understand, not trying to use your words against you or CJ, I am a slow listener (Ha!) so it works for me. Seriously, now that you mention it, I do get a very slight sense of slowness for lack of a better word, but I want to call it relaxed as in "non-fatiguing". I was playing this thing for 12 plus hours straight yesterday and never felt the need to shut it off or walk away because I was tired of listening. For me that is a very high praise. I do think you are correct about being "system dependent", everything matters, and matching sources to an amp and preamp is very important. I think you will be very happy with the ET3 in the long term, as I am already with the CA200 and I still have a ways to go, I think, for ultimate break in. Enjoy the ride!

Joe

Pider
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Shoot! Here I was all jazzed to hop in the plane and head over! Sounds like you have yourself a great musical piece in the 200.

Enjoy!

joeinid
12-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry :( Maybe we could send it around the country on a listening tour. :)

Something to think about.

Puma Cat
12-02-2011, 02:26 AM
So, how's the CA200 doing today?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

dpod4
12-02-2011, 02:27 AM

Feel free to come to Lake Oswego and hear my new CJ 350 - same circuitry and sound.

Puma Cat
12-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Sorry :( Maybe we could send it around the country on a listening tour. :)

Something to think about.

Maybe we should set up a C-J "lending library" where we send our components around to each other to live with for a month. :scratch2:

Pider
12-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Feel free to come to Lake Oswego and hear my new CJ 350 - same circuitry and sound.

What.......!!!!! I'd love to!

joeinid
12-02-2011, 02:40 AM

You lucky dawg :) I bet the 350 is very nice.

As far as the CA200. Doing very well. I was just thumbing through the manual and I read it is phase inverting. So that makes me think I should have reversed the speaker connections. Darn. Time to shutdown and rewire and see if it males a difference. Or just hook up the ET5 and that should accomplish the same thing. Maybe the phase is inverted. Back in a little bit.

Pider
12-02-2011, 02:43 AM
JoeinID..... Up late, are we.... Must be that new CJ.

joeinid
12-02-2011, 02:50 AM
JoeinID..... Up late, are we.... Must be that new CJ.

Always, I'm a night owl. :)

Hmmmm, I think I was running out of phase. Doh! Maybe it sounds better.

joeinid
12-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Holy cow, that does sound better. Please read the manual. I thought it sounded a little funny last night. I feel a little stupid.

Puma Cat
12-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Aw, we've all done that with C-J gear at least once.

Keep in mind that the ET-5 is also phase-inverting, so you should check carefully how the speakers should be wired when running the ET-5 in combination with the CA-200.

But, RTFM is always a good idea, too! ;)

joeinid
12-02-2011, 03:29 AM
I think if I do add the ET5, then the speakers go back to normal and the ET5 will take care of the phase inversion.

Puma Cat
12-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Yes, I think that's right, but it would be a good idea to double-check.

nz022
12-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I am not certain if all; but most CJ gear is phase inverted.

Simple solution to any situation is as follows:
Even number of CJ gear in system = no need to correct for inversion.
Odd nuber of CJ gear in system= correct for inversion

joeinid
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

That's correct as far as I know. I have a similar problem with Burmester. Pin 2 on the XLR is reversed from the norm.

jimtranr
12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Odd number of CJ gear in system= correct for inversion

That's true with cj preamps and line stages. But I know that my MF2500 is phase-correct, so in my 17LS-MF2500 setup, the speaker leads are reversed to correct for phase inversion.

Puma Cat
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Same is true for my LP70S.

dpod4
12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

That's correct. My CJ350 is phase inverting, but so is my VAC preamp, so it cancels out and speaker feeds can be normal (positive to positive, negative to negative).

turntable
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM

I think it maybe wise to read the cj manual than have general statements.

My cj pre amp - inverts phase

My cj tube monoblocks and cj phono stage - phase correct.

Briz Vegaas
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi

I use a CA200 and CT5. love it love it love it.

(second attempt to post - first one seems to be lost)

Rafale
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
trust your ears.....out of phase the system lacks focus and energy, the low is badly defined, without impact and speed

Masterlu
12-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Briz Vegaas... Welcome! :wave:

Briz Vegaas
12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Thank you sir!
You lot are partly responsible for my recent purchase of the CT5 so I thought I would join rather than just lurk. This is primarily a CA200 thread so I felt I had something to add after using this amp in all it's configurations, mostly through B&W 804s, but also with Quad 2805 (home demo). I've tried lots of tweaks and currently I employ almost all of them so I know a little about what works and what was in the "you must try" category ( all qualified based on my setup). I have not opened any boxes however.

joeinid
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi

I use a CA200 and CT5. love it love it love it.

(second attempt to post - first one seems to be lost)

Hi Briz,

Welcome!

:welcome2.:

Thanks! I can't wait to hook up my ET5 to the CA200.

Joe

chessman
12-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Briz, welcome aboard! :wave:

jwhite613
12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Briz Vegaas... Welcome To AA!!!!!

Briz Vegaas
12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Briz,

Welcome!

Thanks! I can't wait to hook up my ET5 to the CA200.

Joe

Hey Joe (Why do I suddenly feel like Jimmy Hendrix). It !should be a combo that just let's the music speak to you, highly recommended. I thought running direct into bypass was an improvement (digital volume control)until I ran the preamp (still into bypass obviously)

Be sure to use your best source. It's seems to just search out that direct mike feed from the recording session and tells you all about it.

Thanks everyone for the hospitality.

joeinid
12-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey Joe (Why do I suddenly feel like Jimmy Hendrix). It !should be a combo that just let's the music speak to you, highly recommended. I thought running direct into bypass was an improvement (digital volume control)until I ran the preamp (still into bypass obviously)

Be sure to use your best source. It's seems to just search out that direct mike feed from the recording session and tells you all about it.

Hi Briz,

Where are you going with with that gun in your hand!

I can just use the Theater Thru in to bypass the volume control, correct? Right now I'm playing with a Burmester 099 preamp/dac into the CA200 and it sounds awesome. I bet the ET5 will sound even better because its got a tube :thumbsup: inside.

Glad you are here. Look around and have some fun. What speakers are you using? Rest of your system?

Joe

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 01:50 AM

Hey Briz,
Welcome....great to have another AA member and C-J owner here. You'll find this a lively but friendly community!

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat aka PC

Briz Vegaas
12-03-2011, 02:46 AM
My hifi dealer showed me the schematics. Theatre bypass allows you to step around the ladder attenuator on the CA200. It explains the greater detail and cleaner sound I was getting running my Weiss INT202 in digital volume control mode and the DAC directly into theatre bypass.

My system is based around B&W804s. In Australia they are priced at the same level as the CA200. They demand power to really sound at their best but are easier to drive than the 5 driver 803D. They are the oldest part of my setup.

Source is WD USB HDD/4gb Macbook pro/puremusic 1.8/Weiss INT202 via Nordost Silver shadow to a Naim DAC. This front end sounds very good and I have heard it sound exceptional with a little work on the INT202 power supply.

I have put major effort into room treatments, Nordost cabling, power cabling (critical, we seem to get rubbish power here) and component resonance management (little feet). So much so that I really should be running Wilson Alexandrias to balance the investment, but its nice to be a little eccentric with hifi.

...........and I have a nice little 15watt Laney valve guitar amp so that I can play along to 3 chord songs when the mood takes me.

joeinid
12-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Hey Stephen,

This CA200 is awesome. I can only imagine how good a Premier 350 is/was in the grand scheme of things. That little box sounds great. I'm glad I picked it up.

Joe

jimtranr
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Welcome aboard, Briz.

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Hey Stephen,

This CA200 is awesome. I can only imagine how good a Premier 350 is/was in the grand scheme of things. That little box sounds great. I'm glad I picked it up.

Joe

The Premier 350s real strengths are it's dynamics and seemingly limitless reserves of power and best-of-tube-like qualities. In terms of absolute sound quality (power differences aside), I'm not sure that it tops the LP-series of amps (LP70S, 140M, etc), however.

joeinid
12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
The Premier 350s real strengths are it's dynamics and seemingly limitless reserves of power and best-of-tube-like qualities. In terms of absolute sound quality (power differences aside), I'm not sure that it tops the LP-series of amps (LP70S, 140M, etc), however.

Thanks, I totally understand. There's time for a LP amp and It's in my mind. I am curious as to what CJ will officially introduce with the KT120 tube. Hmmmmm, good times ahead. Is it general consensus that the KT120's beat the 6550's?

dpod4
12-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I totally understand. There's time for a LP amp and It's in my mind. I am curious as to what CJ will officially introduce with the KT120 tube. Hmmmmm, good times ahead. Is it general consensus that the KT120's beat the 6550's?

I agree as awesome is the CJ 350/200 (best solid state I have ever heard) there is something special about tube amps. My VAC amp brings a spatial harmonic magic that I am not sure any SS could trump. I have read kt88 and 120s are now preferred to 6550s but I have never compared.

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I think when you have a different situation and do not require an amp you can leave on for 14 hours a day, the LP-series will prove a magical amp for you; it is for me.

Certainly in my experience the KT120s beat the 6550s in many respects: better dynamics, bass, fullness and weight of presentation. They have the best qualities of KT88s and 6550s together.

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I agree as awesome is the CJ 350/200 (best solid state I have ever heard) there is something special about tube amps. My VAC amp brings a spatial harmonic magic that I am not sure any SS could trump. I have read kt88 and 120s are now preferred to 6550s but I have never compared.

Tubes are magic, for sure. They get the "intangibles" so right...

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
That being said, Joe, I would have love to have either a Pr350 or CA200! ;)

It's fun changing things out; I've been having an absolute blast with my Rega P5. My Michell Gyro/SME V/Koetsu sounds fantastic, but the little P5 really likes to kick out the jams! It's a more dynamic and punchy table.

joeinid
12-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Briz,

Nice setup. Thanks for the info on the CA200.

Dpod4 and Stephen,

Agree about tubes, pure magic in a bottle. Maybe I'll break out the Manley amps before selling them and experience something wonderful.

Joe

dpod4
12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I think when you have a different situation and do not require an amp you can leave on for 14 hours a day, the LP-series will prove a magical amp for you; it is for me.

Certainly in my experience the KT120s beat the 6550s in many respects: better dynamics, bass, fullness and weight of presentation. They have the best qualities of KT88s and 6550s together.

Lots of manufacturers are endorsing 120s as being very musical and powerful.

Coppy
12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Lots of manufacturers are endorsing 120s as being very musical and powerful.
As to C-J and the KT120... they, as LJ said in a note I posted someplace on this forum in the last month or so... "It's the new super tube". Better in every way.

Surely they'll be using it for as soon as they figure out how to configure their tube cages for the larger tube. The cages on my LP140s no longer fit but I like the look without them so that's okay. Stephen, do your's on the LP70 fit any more?

Stephen,

As to LP140 vs. P350, you know I prefer the LP140 but that has as much to do with the music I listen to; classical and jazz. Small groups of acoustical instruments in a live space for me. Now... were I a rock fan, maybe this opinion would be a bit different.

Bob

dpod4
12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I love having two amps. One SS and one high powered tube. Equally compelling. VAC for winter and Pr 350 for summer. Or just different flavors for different moods/music. I will get a 2nd VAC 300.1a someday and want to compare 300 tube watts per channel to cj pr350's 600 watts driving 4 ohm maggies

turntable
12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Do you think us audiophiles get a bit bored with the same sound, so little changes here, upgrade there,different amp, different carts etc etc etc keep our respective juices flowing ?:scratch2:

joeinid
12-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Do you think us audiophiles get a bit bored with the same sound, so little changes here, upgrade there,different amp, different carts etc etc etc keep our respective juices flowing ?:scratch2:

Absolutely, unfortunately. I guess we tend to be tinkerers by nature. I am finding that I like to experience different sound/taste in music and equipment. I really think no one system does all music perfectly.

turntable
12-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I really think no one system does all music perfectly.

that just about sums up our hobby.:thumbsup:

I find my Strads are awesome for most music, however lacking in large dynamic electronic and some rock music.

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 08:30 PM
As to C-J and the KT120... they, as LJ said in a note I posted someplace on this forum in the last month or so... "It's the new super tube". Better in every way.

Surely they'll be using it for as soon as they figure out how to configure their tube cages for the larger tube. The cages on my LP140s no longer fit but I like the look without them so that's okay. Stephen, do your's on the LP70 fit any more?

Bob,
Nope, no way! ;)

Stephen,

As to LP140 vs. P350, you know I prefer the LP140 but that has as much to do with the music I listen to; classical and jazz. Small groups of acoustical instruments in a live space for me. Now... were I a rock fan, maybe this opinion would be a bit different.

Bob

I'd love to have both, but like you Bob, most of my listening consists of acoustical jazz and classical. Not much rock anymore...

dpod4
12-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Great question! I think we are unrelenting perfectionists who need to seek other gear to know what we already have is awesome.

ronenash
12-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Joe, she's gorgeous!

No Teflons in the CA200. She will sound good after 150 hours and great after 300 hours in my experience.

Enjoy! This is truely one of the best. :yes:

ronenash
12-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Same is true for my LP70S.

Most power amps are phase correct. The P350 and CA200 are the only exception I know of.

Rafale
12-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Ron .....ET 250s is phase inverting

ronenash
12-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Ron .....ET 250s is phase inverting

You are obviously correct. None of the tube power amps are phase inverting though. Thanks for the correction.

joeinid
12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
No Teflons in the CA200. She will sound good after 150 hours and great after 300 hours in my experience.

Enjoy! This is truely one of the best. :yes:

Thanks Ron,

It sounds really good already. I believe it may have been mostly broken in and for the money it really is an awesome piece. Thanks! :music:

Joe

Rafale
12-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Ron,

It sounds really good already. I believe it may have been mostly broken in and for the money it really is an awesome piece. Thanks! :music:

Joe

Joe.... congrats on your CA200, love me the faceplate of this CJ amp :thumbsup:

joeinid
12-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Joe.... congrats on your CA200, love me the faceplate of this CJ amp :thumbsup:

Thanks Philippe,

It looks brand new, direct from the dealer and used lightly as a demo piece. Never customer owned.

:banana:

Puma Cat
12-08-2011, 05:06 PM
So, Joe how is life with the CA200?

Have you hooked up the ET-5 to it yet?

joeinid
12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
So, Joe how is life with the CA200?

Have you hooked up the ET-5 to it yet?

Hi Stephen,

I will have to nominate the CA200 as one of the best purchases of the year. It is one sweet little integrated, err control amp :thumbsup:. I have not hooked up the ET5 to it yet, someone made an offer I could not refuse so it will be shipping out tomorrow. That spot will have to be for the GAT once funds clear and money gets swapped around :yes: and I officially place the order for it. I am really curious to see when CJ officially offers their amps with the KT120 besides the Classic Sixty SE.

TommyC
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
CJ should make another tube "control amp." The last one was introduced more than a decade ago.

joeinid
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
CJ should make another tube "control amp." The last one was introduced more than a decade ago.

+1 :yes:

I, for one, will put in a request and deposit to Conrad Johnson to make an updated solid state amp and/or control amp with their best/musical design. In a heartbeat! Conrad Johnson are you listening? :music:

Rayooo
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Stephen,

I will have to nominate the CA200 as one of the best purchases of the year. It is one sweet little integrated, err control amp :thumbsup:. I have not hooked up the ET5 to it yet, someone made an offer I could not refuse so it will be shipping out tomorrow. That spot will have to be for the GAT once funds clear and money gets swapped around :yes: and I officially place the order for it. I am really curious to see when CJ officially offers their amps with the KT120 besides the Classic Sixty SE.

Sorry to see you leaving the ET-5 club, but I understand!
maybe, just maybe, a GAT sometime in the future for me. :yes::no::yes::no::D Although the thought of breaking in another piece of gear anytime soon gives me the creeps now. :yuck:

I've spent the majority of this year waiting for things to settle, they seem to now have and I'm thrilled. I've been playing this silly hifi hobby for 20+ years now and have never been happier than the last couple months. :thumbsup:

joeinid
12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I am sad to see it go also, but look forward to it's replacement :)

TommyC
12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
+1 :yes:

I, for one, will put in a request and deposit to Conrad Johnson to make an updated solid state amp and/or control amp with their best/musical design. In a heartbeat! Conrad Johnson are you listening? :music:

Or a hybrid will do.

ronenash
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I am really curious to see when CJ officially offers their amps with the KT120 besides the Classic Sixty SE.

The LP125m SE also comes with the KT120 and it is one terrific amplifier. By far better than anything I have heard to date.

joeinid
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
The LP125m SE also comes with the KT120 and it is one terrific amplifier. By far better than anything I have heard to date.

Thanks Ron,

Oooooh, now that's interesting. I did not realize that. I bet they would mate very well with the GAT :yes:

Joe

Puma Cat
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Or a hybrid will do.

The ET 250S is their hybrid amp.

Rafale
12-10-2011, 01:09 PM
The ET 250S is their hybrid amp.

:yes:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0mIDN2OV9peN2uss3lYadpyxsWbxoX FqwQ8MrhYKTTHsIlt3Y6Rer0McVLQ

Puma Cat
12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Yep, and that does not look like a toroidal transformer.

Rafale
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree.... it is not a toroidal, it is to have your opinion that I posted this photo:yes:

Puma Cat
12-10-2011, 02:33 PM
It's gorgeous!

The usual super-high C-J level of execution and design.

joeinid
12-10-2011, 02:41 PM
It's gorgeous!

The usual super-high C-J level of execution and design.

Yes it is, I would love to hear one.

Puma Cat
12-10-2011, 02:45 PM
That makes two of us.

joeinid
12-10-2011, 03:09 PM
That makes two of us.

Maybe we can get Philippe to give us an update.

jimtranr
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
That makes two of us.

+1

It's on my wish list.

Coppy
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I agree.... it is not a toroidal, it is to have your opinion that I posted this photo:yes:

I think you'll find that c-j does not use toroidal transformers very often. Lew/Bill consider them not the best design in most cases as they radiate all kinds of electrical and magnetic stuff that can't be controlled close by. I haven't looked inside my P350, but don't think it has one. But, as a friend over at c-j says about regular laminated core transformers, "they all want to be motors". Well said and we've all seen the noise issues with some. They test everything at the factory, especially the stuff with big power supplies, for transformer noise before being sent out and replace a surprising number of them.
:yes:
Bob

ronenash
12-10-2011, 11:35 PM
BTW, this is not the ET-250s but rather the 5 ch. version of the amp. I think it was called MET-5. Looks at the five pairs of speaker binding posts on the back and the five tube sockets on the front.
The ET250s looks very similar inside and uses a similar non toroid transformer.

Rafale
12-11-2011, 06:17 AM
BTW, this is not the ET-250s but rather the 5 ch. version of the amp. I think it was called MET-5. Looks at the five pairs of speaker binding posts on the back and the five tube sockets on the front.
The ET250s looks very similar inside and uses a similar non toroid transformer.

Ron.... you are right... here is the good photo of an ET250S
http://www.dagogo.com/assets/images/image/AMPLIFICATION/Conrad%20Johnson%20ET-250S/ConradJohnsonET250S4.jpg

Puma Cat
12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Joe,
How are you getting on with the CA200? Spending some time with it?

joeinid
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Joe,
How are you getting on with the CA200? Spending some time with it?

Hi Stephen,

For the past couple of weeks I've been running my 099 straight to my 911 to try and break it in. It's very nice. I should be going back to the CA200 very shortly.

Joe

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Joe,
Is the 099 a new piece?

joeinid
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Joe,
Is the 099 a new piece?

Yes. Brand new and new to me. :smoking:

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Cool, how recently did you get it?

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Life must be rough having to force yourself to listen to a Burmester 911 MkIII.

joeinid
12-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Cool, how recently did you get it?

I think it was delivered 12-2 and I've been running it non-stop since. :music:

Life must be rough having to force yourself to listen to a Burmester 911 MkIII.

Well, I know it's tough, but it's a great amp, and it's not a Conrad Johnson :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Well, I know it's tough, but it's a great amp, and it's not a Conrad Johnson :thumbsup:

You'd really have to twist my arm to get me to listen to one.

Not.

ronenash
12-16-2011, 01:37 AM
I am with you PC. I tried a Burmester once and although it was very good, It was not good enough to move me away from CJ...

Keep the faith!

joeinid
12-16-2011, 07:18 AM
I am with you PC. I tried a Burmester once and although it was very good, It was not good enough to move me away from CJ...

Keep the faith!

:roflmao:

I know, we all make mistakes. :D

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Keep the faith!

I agree with you, Ron, but I'd love to have a Burmester system, too. The 077 pre, and I sure wouldn't kick a 911MkIII out of bed for eating crackers, to put a twist on the phrase! The 911 is one of the best amps I've ever heard. Reminded me a lot of a Premier 350.

joeinid
12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree with you, Ron, but I'd love to have a Burmester system, too. The 077 pre, and I sure wouldn't kick a 911MkIII out of bed for eating crackers, to put a twist on the phrase! The 911 is one of the best amps I've ever heard. Reminded me a lot of a Premier 350.

As much as I love the CJ gear, I need the Burmester combo. Full sound, bloom and some warmth, deep bass and clear open highs. The CJ gear is AS SATISFYING in a different way. I still want to move up to the GAT and a really nice CJ amp. :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, they are like two different fine wines, Cabernet and Pinot Noir; both full-bodied reds, alike but satisfying in different ways.

joeinid
12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, they are like two different fine wines, Cabernet and Pinot Noir; both full-bodied reds, alike but satisfying in different ways.

Yes, but I have Champagne taste on a beer budget :yes:

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, you're doing pretty well if that's the case!

Pider
12-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Guys! I'm just happy with my new Dyn F140's! you guys have incredible gear! No beer budget there.

joeinid
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Puma Cat[/B];240615]Well, you're doing pretty well if that's the case!

At least it's imported beer :D

Pider[/B];240621]Guys! I'm just happy with my new Dyn F140's! you guys have incredible gear! No beer budget there.

I've always wanted to hear Dynaudio speakers. Since Stephen and you guys like them, they MUST be good :thumbsup:

ps I like your tag line :yes:

Pider
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I've always wanted to hear Dynaudio speakers. Since Stephen and you guys like them, they MUST be good :thumbsup:

Well.... today was instructive. Today I put on some Joe Pass, smooth guitar with standup bass and drums. I couldn't get out of the friggin chair! I just sat there, eyes closed. I was so happy to have the music back in my life. I had to finally rip myself loose because there were things to do, but I had no desire to do much other than listen. Now, I don't know if that is due to the type of speakers I chose, and I'm sure if I put some Contour 1.4s next to them I'd go for the latter, or even PMC or ProAc or Spendor higher end models, but today I really didn't care. The music was so sweet. I can't wait till the coffers fill up enough again for me to get a CA200 or maybe Bryston gear, but in the meantime what I am hearing is enough to make me extremely happy, and I think that's 90% of this whole adventure.

I'm out at my hangar now, and I'm already saying that if I rearrange this and that I can hook up my old Spica's to the old B&K and have some pretty good music here, too. Good music in one's life, especially live music. That's the bottom line for me. Boy, was that a sweet moment today. Thanks everyone for helping me get there.

John

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Guys! I'm just happy with my new Dyn F140's! you guys have incredible gear! No beer budget there.

Congrats, Pider.
The Dyn 140s are one of the sweet spots in the Dyn lineup. A real sweetheart of a speaker you can listen to all day long and never suffer listener fatigue. Pair it sometime with a REL sub to flesh out the lower octaves and you can be happy for a long, long time! By the way, Dyns go great with C-J gear, including the C-J tube gear.

Are your Dyns used?

Pider
12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
No. Got them new. Last pair of rosewood in the states, or at least that's what I was told. Put them on Dyn's stand 3s and love the look. Got about 100 hours on them now, and they seem to get sweeter every day. The bass is coming along, too. I have a ML Grotto for a sub, but it's having some buzzing issues, which someone here thought might be a ground loop issue. If it turns out it is bad, I'll take a look at the REL. I'm going to hear a CJ 350 set up sometime next week, hopefully. I know zip about tubes, but I'd be open for something. Heck, I started this whole venture in the late 60's by building my own system, a Fisher. Maybe I'll build one of the tube DIY projects, just for kicks.

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Awesome, Pider.

Wait until they get 300 hours on them; it will be like throwing a switch...Wham! and all of a sudden they will "be there..."

More goodness yet to come! :D

Regarding subs, REL subs work particularly well with Dyns because they are one of the few subs that are actually fast enough to keep up with Dynaudio drivers. Dyn makes amongst the fastest dynamic drivers in production by anybody; they are so fast they compare with panels for speed of response. REL makes a new Serie T set of subs that are superb, very affordable, the T5, T7, and T9, and yet with fast class A/B amps. These are killer subs at a killer price. They've already won awards from the mags; the new Serie T5 won a TAS award earlier this year.

You will be quite impressed with the Premier 350, I expect. Regarding tubes: all you need to know is that they are easy to bias, last longer than people think, and sound like pure magic.

Pider
12-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Before you mentioned the RELs, I had been intrigued with the T-5, which Echo has in stock. Nice coincidence.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/images/products/t5_front.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
I would snap it up if I were you. I think you will find it will match and integrate quite a bit better to your way-fast little Dyn 140s better than the ML (by the way, your 140s are only going to get faster as they run in; the 140s are like the Porsche Cayman of the loudspeaker world).

I have the recently discontinued R-305. It's a really nice sub, i really like it a lot, and integrates very well with my Contour S3.4s, but if I were to purchase today, I would definitely get a T-7 or T-9 as it has a Class A/B amp as opposed to the Class D amp on the R-305.

All of the dealers that I know that carry REL, to a person, say nothing but superlatives about REL. REL is a class company that builds a class product.

If you have more questions, start a Dyn thread in the General Speakers forum, or send me a PM.

That way, we can get back OT! ;)

Pider
12-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Ahhhh, you make me so happy with that analogy!

http://www.automotivescycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/porsche-cayman%20(4).jpg

I might have to change my image!

joeinid
12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Rayooo
12-16-2011, 07:05 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Maybe one of those instead of the GAT? :dunno:

joeinid
12-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe one of those instead of the GAT? :dunno:

Maybe both of those :yes: :thumbsup:

Rayooo
12-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe both of those :yes: :thumbsup:

I was hoping you would say that! my thoughts exactly!

joeinid
12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I was hoping you would say that! my thoughts exactly!

Maybe I should have said I'll take all three :naughty:

Rayooo
12-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Maybe I should have said I'll take all three :naughty:

Oh yea! :yes: that way you can relax with the GAT after the first two absolutely wear you out! :dazed: