PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compare Esoteric with DCS?

TOGA
11-26-2011, 03:29 PM
I would like to know what I can expect changing from Esoteric P03/D03 to DCS Paganini 4 pieces stack.
My Esoteric are pretty good but just wanna know the differences between these two brands.. Such as tonality, dynamic, musicality.
Toga.

amati
11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I would like to know what I can expect changing from Esoteric P03/D03 to DCS Paganini 4 pieces stack.
My Esoteric are pretty good but just wanna know the differences between these two brands.. Such as tonality, dynamic, musicality.
Toga.

Toga, i haven't compared the Esotaric but i do have compared the DCS with the MSB platinum Signature. After that i got the MSB for a week at home.
I ordered the MSB platinum Diamond. I really can recommend you to give the MSB a try for an audition. Look for a review overhere:
http://www.msbtech.com/reviews/HFC21_complete_med-rez-Review.pdf
They work very well with the DD Momentum's.. http://www.audioaficionado.org/wilson-audio/7561-amps-sasha-w-p-17.html
To me it's the best sounding CD/DAC at the moment which i have heard.
I haven't heard everything offcourse :o

TommyC
11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
At this price, you should also consider Burmester's belt drive CD player. 069 or 089.

TOGA
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks, MSB is technically interesting, but I just don't like the designs.
For Burmester, no official distributor in the country yet.
I happen to like designs of DcS and Wadia.
Just interesting to know the difference in sonic character between DCS and Esoteric.
But no plan to purchase yet. New power amps have priority .

jdebonth
12-18-2011, 05:44 AM
In this price category I would definitely also consider the new (2010) Weiss Medea +

jfrech
12-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Toga, I replaced a Esoteric DV50s with a dCS Puccinni and U clock. Now the price diff here is substantial. The dCS is much much more natural in the top end...closer to a vinyl presentation (I run vinyl about 80% of the time). I have buddy that has the esoteric separates. This same top end signature I could clearly hear is his set up also...I am not saying the dCS is right and the Esoteric is wrong.

My Wilson's (maxx 3's) I have to be careful with matching (the tweeters can get a bit hot on top), dCS is a wonderful match with the Wilsons....

This is NOT a fair comparison, many different variables....hope this helps a bit

Car commander
01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I had a Esoteric X03 SE and replaced it with a DCS Puccinni. The Punccinni is more musical and more detailed. It should be it's twice the price. I also tried a 808.3 it was not to my ears better than the Esoteric.

asiufy
01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
TOGA,

I've replaced the exact same models of Esoteric gear, that I loved, for the DCS Puccini+U-Clock, and never looked back.
My deal with the dealer was that he could bring it for a demo. The DCS had to be clearly and immediately better than the Esoteric for me to keep it.
I've used a Stevie Wonder track that I know well, and as soon as Stevie started singing, I hit STOP and grabbed the checkbook...
So, yes, the DCS is that much better, more natural, more transparent. It *is* literal, as some people like to put it, but I like it that way.

alexandre

JSCC
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
To be fair, the price point (over here) for the dCS Puccini+U Clock is far greater than that of the Esoteric X03SE. Should compare to the same price point the new K-01.

Personally, I preferred the dCS BUT I would not say the K-01 is much lesser. To be fair, its so new, difficult to do an "A" "B" comparison and certainly no home auditions as they are represented by different dealers!

The only thing the Meridian "lacks" is SACD playability. In my system, the 808.3 beat the dCS hands down. Maybe its because of overall system compatibility, as the 808.3 are from the same factory and hence the algorithm matches perfectly with each other - all the way to the speakers! All said and done, all 3 machines are great ones. I would and can live with any one of them - which I did .. the 808.3.

If I can build a second system, the dCS Puccini+U Clock OR the Esoteric K-01 would be high on my list.

Cheers!

ozy
01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
iwas at last ces show 2 weeks ago and listened specificlly to -- stahl-tek, dcs scarletti, the soulution 745(they only had the 540 playing), the new esoteric p-02/d02,& neodio.
the dcs scarletti had the most life and vividenss. the stahl-tek was the most annalog- like.
the new esoteric had more resolution compred to the stack i'm using, but was also "drier'" in its presentation. the540 was incredibly detailed and refined. i can only imagine just how good the 745 would be....
so which one did i pick to replace my esotericp-01/d/01? none yet, but tbc....:-))

howiebrou
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
iwas at last ces show 2 weeks ago and listened specificlly to -- stahl-tek, dcs scarletti, the soulution 745(they only had the 540 playing), the new esoteric p-02/d02,& neodio.
the dcs scarletti had the most life and vividenss. the stahl-tek was the most annalog- like.
the new esoteric had more resolution compred to the stack i'm using, but was also "drier'" in its presentation. the540 was incredibly detailed and refined. i can only imagine just how good the 745 would be....
so which one did i pick to replace my esotericp-01/d/01? none yet, but tbc....:-))

Ozy,

Do you really think the PO2/DO2 can outperform your PO1/DO1? MOst dealers think not and that the PO1, though old still betters the new cheaper models. I have heard the Stahl teck and whilst nice, found nothing special about it. Soulution's 745 is fantastic but oh so expensive! YOu should check out the Zanden Cd stack (separates). They really sound analogue and make the stahl teck sound very digital I have ABed them directly on several occassions and the difference is marked.

Meanwhile my 808.3 remains my player of choice :yes:

howie

ozy
01-31-2012, 10:25 AM
howie,
no, not at all. i only found the p-02/d-02 slighlty more resolving then my current stack of p-01/d-01vu, but not enough to sway me away from it.
the stahl-tek is very nice, imho, but will not play sacd which i have invested in quite heavily.
i don't believe that the zanden plays sacd either. but it is very nice sounding, no doubt.
the soulution or the dcs are currently my top picks for a possible replacement of my p-01/d-01 vu stack....

epic
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
howie,
no, not at all. i only found the p-02/d-02 slighlty more resolving then my current stack of p-01/d-01vu, but not enough to sway me away from it.
the stahl-tek is very nice, imho, but will not play sacd which i have invested in quite heavily.
i don't believe that the zanden plays sacd either. but it is very nice sounding, no doubt.
the soulution or the dcs are currently my top picks for a possible replacement of my p-01/d-01 vu stack....

Hi ozy,

Have you had any listen on the CH Precision C1 & D1?
Understand from my local dealer that a few owners of the full DCS Scad 4 tiers system sworn by the CH combo and have since traded in their full DCS.

Rags

ozy
01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
i heard this particular combo at the ces, but honestly ,didn't spend as much time exploring it as i should have.... mmmm......

Audioseduction
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
I would say the EMM LABS XDS1 SACD player is a nice contender.

ozy
01-31-2012, 06:49 PM
george, i agree- it is a very well sounding unit! just addedd it to my list.......thank you.

Rocco
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Give a listening to the Burmester 069 with PSU Reference Line. I compared side by side it with the 4 stacks dcs scarlatti and I prefer the German player.

ozy
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
grazie rocco- the burester gear always wooed me, but it doesn't appear to have a usa distribution any longer?(please correct me if i'm mistaken on this?) so not too sure how and where to get an audition. i'm sure it is sensational.

bart
02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
grazie rocco- the burester gear always wooed me, but it doesn't apear to have a usa distribution any longer?(please correct me if i'm mistaken on this?) so not too sure how and where to get an audition. i'm sure it is sensational.

Ooops Ozy!?
Ivan has just become Burmester dealer!
So I guess distribution in the US won't be a problem... :thumbsup:

bart
02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
But this was an Esoteric-DCS thread if I recall well :D

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
A $50K Burmester 069 no SACD. :boring:

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I think the best combo is a player that can provide digital inputs for your computer based transport and provide at least up to sample rates of 24/192 and a killer SACD section to die for. That’s my plan down the road.

Currently I have my transport configure to load sound tracks into RAM before playing so there is no mechanical component to interfere with the digital stream which will produce less jitter which equals to better playback sound.

For best SQ RB playback a computer based transport is the way to go IMO.

jdebonth
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM

IMO anything that plays silver discs of any kind is :boring:

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Joost, why you have 2 DACs (Weiss Medea / Wavelength Cosecant ) , Can't make up your mind?

jdebonth
02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Exactly right! :P

Different styles for different moods :)

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Exactly right! :P

Different styles for different moods :)

How would you describe the differences?

Car commander
02-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe it is because I am old but on most recordings I can't tell alot of difference between the DCS playing CD's and the high res stuff off my soolos control 15. Getting and down loading stuff to my sooloss is a pain.

jdebonth
02-01-2012, 02:39 PM
The weiss is ultra resolving, detailed, dynamic, has absolutely fantastic bass, and I would describe as completely neutral/accurate and true to the source.

The wavelength has a hint of tube "warmth" on the mids and highs and is not quite as resolving, but sounds smoother and more intoxicating and throws a beautiful 3D soundstage.

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
My solution for playing from my music server and playing SACD will most likely be one of these from my short list below:

Esoteric K-01
EMM Labs XDS1
DCS Puccini/U-Clock
Playback Designs MPS-5

bart
02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
My solution for playing from my music server and playing SACD will most likely be one of these from my short list below:

Esoteric K-01
EMM Labs XDS1
DCS Puccini/U-Clock
Playback Designs MPS-5

Have you considered Accuphase also?
E.g. the DP-700

http://file.blog-anison.audiounion.jp/dp-700_front_08.jpg

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
E.g. the DP-700

Very nice player except the digital coaxial input max. sample rate is 24/96. :sigh:

howiebrou
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Very nice player except the digital coaxial input max. sample rate is 24/96. :sigh:

Can you really hear the difference?:scratch2:

howiebrou
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Getting and down loading stuff to my sooloss is a pain.

How come? Seems pretty easy for me. Download it to computer (as any download would be done). Open ControlMac or Control PC and import.

Job done? I do it often with Blue Coast et al stuff.

howie

Rocco
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM

But DCS Scarlatti 4 four stacks is sacd and comparing it with the Burmester 069, the german gear sounds simply better (more natural and neutral, like the best turntable without the defects).

Try to listen and share your experience.

Audioseduction
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Can you really hear the difference?:scratch2:

Yes, I can. Sounds more live and real.

Car commander
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
How come? Seems pretty easy for me. Download it to computer (as any download would be done). Open ControlMac or Control PC and import.

Job done? I do it often with Blue Coast et al stuff.

howie

Yes but not as easy as just loading a CD into My Puccini. I have done it. My control 15 has about 500 albums on it.

Elberoth
02-04-2012, 10:32 AM
E.g. the DP-700

Having heard the DP-700 in my system, I'm not sure it can compete with any of the aftermentioned players. Cheap ARC CD-8 simply smokes it in terms of sound quality. DP-700 is far better finished though.

tdavism3
03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I recently added a K-03 to my 2 channel system and have been very happy with the results, especially USB and SACD performance. With the right cabling and associated equipment, I found the K-03 to be near the equal of the 808.3 in terms of cd performance yet offering more flexibility.

Car commander
03-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I had an 808.3 and a X03SE (previous model of K03) player at the same time. They sound very similar. IMHO the Puccini sounds better than either.

TOGA
03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Planning to upgrade from P03/D03 to P02/D02
First thing to do it to sell 03 at reasonable price(for me).

jdebonth
03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
What about Audio Aero La Source Music Center (30kEUR)? According to my dealer this is as good as it gets. I have heard it (with my own amp & speakers) and it sounded sublime.

http://www.velvetaudiohiend.com/userimages/LaSource_frei.jpg

Car commander
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
One of the problems we have is hearing everything in our systems. Hard to get demos. I bought a 808.3 and thought it was not better than my X03. The Puccini was much better than either in my system. I had to buy them to find out.

TOGA
03-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I have a chance to listened to Accustic Arts separate players at home in my own system.
there is tubes in DAC output stage. They made a very beautiful sounding while provide
much greater dynamic than my Esoteric 03 combo. Sound is liquid and tube like..
With this I get sound of like using tube amp, but without power limitation.
Price is the same as Esoteric separates. Here they're
Accustic ArtsŪ (http://www.accusticarts.de/pages/en_referenz-serie.html)
I think Esoteric is more natural sounding, but A.A. is more musical overall.
If they offer to trade them with my Eso for free, I will take it, but that is impossible so
I will keep my Esoteric for awhile.

Still-One
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Having heard the DP-700 in my system, I'm not sure it can compete with any of the aftermentioned players. Cheap ARC CD-8 simply smokes it in terms of sound quality. DP-700 is far better finished though.
The ARC DAC-8 was a big disappointment for me as it was unable to resolve the highs as well as the MCD-1100. I pointed this out to my dealer and he thought I was suggesting his unit was broken? He was surprised when I asked him to compare the two with the same tracks.

I hope to try out the Playback Design unit in my set-up in the next couple of months.

Jim

LordoftheRingsEE
03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Anyone here's familiar with the North Star Design Sapphire SACD Player (http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Hi-Fi/north-star-design-sapphire-sacd-player-review.html) ? ...Plays CDs too.

* Click on for info plus a review (at the right spot). :)

TOGA
03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Right now I have only 4 choices in mind.
1. Esoteric P02/D02
2. CH Precision C1/D1
3.Accoustic Arts Drive2/DAC2
4. forget all and keep Esoteric P03/D03

gdtrfb
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Toga

I saw one of your previous posts about about the moon w7 monos/p8 combo. I am considering buying this pairing and would greatly appreciate your input. please feel free to email me directly.

thanks

gdtrfb72@gmail.com

jwhite613
03-30-2012, 12:30 PM
gdtrfb... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

gdtrfb
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
thanks. I've been hanging around the site for a while and didn't even realize this is my first post. sorry I had nothing to offer.

Car commander
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
1. Esoteric P02/D02
2. CH Precision C1/D1

Mu Puccini is considerably better than the X03 I had. Have you tried it?

chessman
03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
gdtrfb, welcome aboard! :wave:

Elberoth
03-31-2012, 05:17 AM
The ARC DAC-8 was a big disappointment for me as it was unable to resolve the highs as well as the MCD-1100. I pointed this out to my dealer and he thought I was suggesting his unit was broken? He was surprised when I asked him to compare the two with the same tracks.

I hope to try out the Playback Design unit in my set-up in the next couple of months.

Jim

Not sure why you mentiond the DAC-8, as I was talking about the CD-8 (the CD player). Two completely different pieces of gear.

psjl
03-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Esoteric K-01
EMM Labs XDS1
DCS Puccini/U-Clock
Playback Designs MPS-5

George,

My shortlist is exactly the same as yours.

I'm currently evaluating the above choices, and thus far, the Playback Designs MPS-5 is the front runner for me.

Philip

1. Esoteric P02/D02
2. CH Precision C1/D1

TOGA,

You might want to consider adding the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD Player to your list of choices.

At $17K (vs $57K for the CH Precision C1/D1 combo), I think it's worth a look. Plus, Andreas Koch (About Us | Playback Designs (http://www.playbackdesigns.com/about-us/)) is the brains behind this player/DAC.

Philip

TOGA
03-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Wahh so many choices....
Hi Philip, MPS-5 actual price is way lower than that.. I think My Eso 03 are still great anyway. I need something that is a true upgrade, rather than a change in sonic, so by
using Eso 02 it is pretty sure that it is an upgrade due higher up the line from same manufacturer. Weird that before I buy Eso03, I tried DCS Puccini+ U clock before, and I feel Eso P05/D05 were more to my liking, then I purchased 03. At that time I was not much into expensive cables so DCS may be bottle necked in my system due cables.
Well.... Constellation Sirius is really tempting.... if dealer just set the price right...

Toga

TOGA
03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Regarding Moon,
here you are gtdrfb

http://www.audioaficionado.org/mbl-dcs-goldmund-esoteric-etc/13278-moon-p8rs-_-w7mrs.html

psjl
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Wahh so many choices....
Hi Philip, MPS-5 actual price is way lower than that.. I think My Eso 03 are still great anyway. I need something that is a true upgrade, rather than a change in sonic, so by
using Eso 02 it is pretty sure that it is an upgrade due higher up the line from same manufacturer. Weird that before I buy Eso03, I tried DCS Puccini+ U clock before, and I feel Eso P05/D05 were more to my liking, then I purchased 03. At that time I was not much into expensive cables so DCS may be bottle necked in my system due cables.
Well.... Constellation Sirius is really tempting.... if dealer just set the price right...

Toga

Toga,

How does the 2-box Constellation Sirius DAC/CD player sound? For USD 50,000 it better sound good! :D I'm sure your dealer there will give a good price that is lower than the U.S. M.S.R.P. of 50K, and it still costs less than the USD 80K dCS Scarlatti stack, but that's still a lot of dough for a digital source!

Anyway, if you haven't demo'ed the PD MPS-5 yet, even if you think it's not a significant "step up" from where you are currently, I still highly recommend that you try to have a go at demo'ing it.

BTW, I am curious about the pricing of the PD MPS-5 over there. Could you PM me regarding the price if you get the chance.

Many thanks,

Philip

TOGA
04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Philip,
First of all, how to PM ??? Can I just tell the price here ? or is it against forum rules?
But frankly, I really can't remember exact price, I just remember that it is very reasonable priced locally, when compare to us MSRP. Ok, and next I think Sirius is 3-piece machine , PS+Transport/HDD+DAC,and if can buy at lower than US MSRP, then it is very interesting.
One thing I afraid is that this is so new company owned by investors. they may get bored with the company and sell it or stop doing it in less than 10 years time. I am sure
TEAC and Esoteric will still alive for longer time.
Right now, it seems hard to sell my Eso 03 at the moment, may be not so good economics here. If can't sell 03, I cannot buy new one.
Toga

Still-One
04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Not sure why you mentiond the DAC-8, as I was talking about the CD-8 (the CD player). Two completely different pieces of gear.
It was a typo on my part. I did mean the CD-8.

Jim

TOGA
04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Finally I sold Esoteric P03/D03 today.
These are coming to my home to try.
1. DCS Puccini+uClock , I've tried these long time ago before buying Esoteric, but now with better cables and speakers, wanna try one more time. this time with new software updates, the menu looks different, so many mode of digital processing and digital filters.
2. Soulution 540 , this one is pretty good, I like it more than Puccini, by a lot margin.
3. EMM XDS-1 is coming soon.
4. Accuphase 900+901 coming soon
5. Esoteric 02 Series, not in stock for demo
6. Ok should try MPS-5 as Philip suggested too.
7. and TAD-D600
Toga.

will update when I get more machines to play with, now only DCS and Soulution are at my place.

jdebonth
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi Toga, nice list! and the Scarlatti? Weiss Medea?

TOGA
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Joost,
Scarlatti not even in my mind, due to way out of reach price.
Paganini may be, but 4-piece are.. too many cables involved. 4 AC cords, 2 XLR digital, 1 BNC clock link.. 1 analog XLR.. Oh and DCS provides very poorly designed remote controller. cheap look and feel, no matter plastic or aluminum one.
Weiss ? hmm....I have tried DAC202 once in my system and I prefer Esoteric 03 more.
But well, after many of trying, I like Accustic Arts the most. Accustic Arts Drive II and DAC II were very musical, very dynamic.. less digital sound. OK it's not analog but it is much less digital than other, may be tubes in the output stage fools me, but I love the sound. Only the bass that was too tubey.. fat, big, but not very detailed.
Now disconnected DCS out of system and listening Soulution 540. Fortunately that I don't have to hurry into buying new one. as $$$ from selling Esoteric 03 is not enough to buy any of them. So some more times is needed to make $$$ required.
Oh too bad Wadia S7i and 9 is not available here, would love to here them too.
TOGA

jdebonth
04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
There is a scarlatti DAC on audiogon for 13,000 USD ;)

TOGA
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
As of now feeling like Soulution is quite a good deal, sounding good enough, save a lot on digital and AC cord compared to 2-piece. Only hate the remote controller and the way it respond to remote controller command. Both DCS and Soulution has some noise during disc loading, similar to Esoteric P05. guess that is sound of disc clamp working. and hey DCS and Soulution share the same remote control codes.

TOGA
05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Hello,
Rightnow after much choosing, I think Accuphase 900/901 was the most to my liking..
Esoteric 02 not yet heard. Until last night, when I tried Metronome Kalista+C3 DAC. .
these Metronome sound very musical as well, a bit darker tone than Accuphase, but denser and fuller sound.
Toga

googleli
08-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I have been using the K01 for a year now and am quite happy with it. It sounds much more musical than the previous Esoterics I auditioned. By the way a word clock does make a difference, at least to me, to the Esoteric players, even for a one box unit like the K-01. The difference is very audible in my speaker setup (McIntoshs and Dynaudio C4) but quite subtle when I listen to headphones (Audeze LCD3, Stax SR009) via the K-01. I guess it is because the strength of the clock excels in the pinpointing of instruments and thus an overall improvement on imaging, rather than a change in tonality.

vintage_tube
08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I have been using the K01 for a year now and am quite happy with it. It sounds much more musical than the previous Esoterics I auditioned. By the way a word clock does make a difference, at least to me, to the Esoteric players, even for a one box unit like the K-01. The difference is very audible in my speaker setup (McIntoshs and Dynaudio C4) but quite subtle when I listen to headphones (Audeze LCD3, Stax SR009) via the K-01. I guess it is because the strength of the clock excels in the pinpointing of instruments and thus an overall improvement on imaging, rather than a change in tonality.

Speaking from a dCS viewpoint with a seperate clock --- you have one box & all it does is clock the other components at 44.1Khz -- simple job, but there is a +/- variance compariable to the atomic clock (as managed/operated by USN Observatory).:yes:

It's value as a seperate master timing component is paramount, IMO. If a player company offers a seperate clock, buy it.:thumbsup:

Bob

vintage_tube
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
As of now feeling like Soulution is quite a good deal, sounding good enough, save a lot on digital and AC cord compared to 2-piece. Only hate the remote controller and the way it respond to remote controller command. Both DCS and Soulution has some noise during disc loading, similar to Esoteric P05. guess that is sound of disc clamp working. and hey DCS and Soulution share the same remote control codes.

Even though I disagree about dCS having a plastic remote (for Paganini as you mentioned several posts ago -- the one that came with my unit is CAD (??) cut metal & weighs heavier than the Esoteric remote I had and is the heaviest remote I've ever owned).

dCS povides this remote as standard to the Scarlatti player and optional for the Paganini.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/mbl-dcs-goldmund-esoteric-etc/18947d1344478958-anyone-compare-esoteric-dcs-q50.jpg

Bob

Echo
08-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Now this thread is more than just comparing Esoteric with DCS, did someone here listen also to the ( latest upgrade of) Bow ZZ-8 and is able to compare this cd player with other top gear?

I find it odd the (Danish) Bow ZZ-8 is so little mentioned here at this site while many are considering this as one of the greatest cd players... (yes, I own it and love it a lot)

JohnThomas
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Speaking from a dCS viewpoint with a seperate clock --- you have one box & all it does is clock the other components at 44.1Khz -- simple job, but there is a +/- variance compariable to the atomic clock (as managed/operated by USN Observatory).:yes:

It's value as a seperate master timing component is paramount, IMO. If a player company offers a seperate clock, buy it.:thumbsup:

Bob

Well I must of gotten ripped off my clock doesn't come in a box and its so small. :scratch2:

Kidding aside I agree a 100% if they offer a clock get it.

vintage_tube
08-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Well I must of gotten ripped off my clock doesn't come in a box and its so small. :scratch2:

Kidding aside I agree a 100% if they offer a clock get it.

Good one John.

I have one better -- you should have seen my wifes' reaction when I was answering her "what do you need 4 components for when you had just one before" question?

I started off explaining the purpose of the Transport and DAC and when I began explaining the clock, she just walked away & I just stood there like a teacher speaking to the chalkboard.:angel:

Women.:moon:

Good thing I saved the Upsampler for last. Whew...that was close.:roflmao:[

Best

Bob

JohnThomas
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Good one John.

I have one better -- you should have seen my wifes' reaction when I was answering her "what do you need 4 components for when you had just one before" question?

I started off explaining the purpose of the Transport and DAC and when I began explaining the clock, she just walked away & I just stood there like a teacher speaking to the chalkboard.:angel:

Best

Bob

I'm bet the conversation went like this
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZlLPKm4xAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Car commander
08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I had an X03 and it was good. I tried a puccini and it sounded great but was not reliable.
3 trips for service, 3,000 dollars andhad to buy software I didn't need. and 4 months. I sold it (after it was supposedly fixed) and bought a K03. IMHO it sounds great and so far no issues. I hope you have better luck with the Paggini than I had. My DCS was a POS. I was considering a Scarlatti.

bart
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Good one John.

Best

Bob

Hilarious! :laughin:

Elberoth
08-10-2012, 02:30 AM
I had an X03 and it was good. I tried a puccini and it sounded great but was not reliable.
3 trips for service, 3,000 dollars andhad to buy software I didn't need. and 4 months. I sold it (after it was supposedly fixed) and bought a K03. IMHO it sounds great and so far no issues. I hope you have better luck with the Paggini than I had. My DCS was a POS. I was considering a Scarlatti.

I can only conclude that you were extremely unlucky. Me and 4 of my close friends had Puccini with ZERO problems, and I owned one for over 3 years.

I had upgraded to the Scarlatti since, and never looked back.

vintage_tube
08-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I had upgraded to the Scarlatti since, and never looked back.

Hello!!!!! Very Nice indeed Adam. Any interest in the newer remote or do you already have it?

Cool Beans,

Bob

JohnThomas
08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Hey Bob,

If you really end up having the Cool Bean shirt made I would like to order one in XL just make sure it's good clothing material. I know picky,picky, picky.

vintage_tube
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey Bob,

If you really end up having the Cool Bean shirt made I would like to order one in XL just make sure it's good clothing material. I know picky,picky, picky.

John,

I will for sure -- when is the question. I'm taking comp time today & may start looking into silk screening companies/options. Roger on the qualitry of tee shirts -- I wear Polo Tee shirts everyday -- my favorite and they last forever.

Bob

MyPal
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
John,

I will for sure -- when is the question. I'm taking comp time today & may start looking into silk screening companies/options. Roger on the qualitry of tee shirts -- I wear Polo Tee shirts everyday -- my favorite and they last forever.

Bob

Bob... So what's your specialty? Are we in for some famous NYSF tucker when we visit the big apple next?

http://newyorkstreetfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/truck8.jpg

Elberoth
08-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm using an old Puccini plastic remote I got from my dealer - simply because it is the easiest to use and doesn't weight a ton like the new aluminium remote :) The new aluminium remote looks cool, but is not handy at all. Same for the pronto touch screen remote.

A friend of mine, who also has a Scarlatti stack, uses am ARC remote (he has a separate preamp, so desn't need the volume feature). In geeral, any RC5 (Philips IR code) remote will work.

vintage_tube
08-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Bob... So what's your specialty? Are we in for some famous NYSF tucker when we visit the big apple next?

Sure thing Steve:thumbsup:

Best

Bob

vintage_tube
08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm using an old Puccini plastic remote I got from my dealer - simply because it is the easiest to use and doesn't weight a ton like the new aluminium remote :) The new aluminium remote looks cool, but is not handy at all. Same for the pronto touch screen remote.

A friend of mine, who also has a Scarlatti stack, uses am ARC remote (he has a separate preamp, so desn't need the volume feature). In geeral, any RC5 (Philips IR code) remote will work.

Thanks for the info Adam - I'll find out first hand as have the new touch screen on order.

Best

Bob