PDA

View Full Version : CT6 or other recommendations.

AndyPandy
11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
May I ask - is the CT6 a well regarded tube pre?
I know nothing of CJ - other than it is a well regarded and respected manufacturer.

I am looking for a pre to add some richness to an active system which tends to the clinical.

Thank you

Rafale
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
CT-6 Preamplifier (http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/ct6.html)
conrad-johnson CT6 Preamplifier Review By Rick Becker (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1006/conrad_johnson_ct6.htm)
AudiogoN Reviews: Conrad Johnson CT6 Tube preamp (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rprea&1163221900&&&/Conrad-Johnson-CT6-Tube-preamp)

Andy
Never listened to, but me seriously thought of buying one, before deciding on me for a CT5
Premier 17 or 16 would suit very also, 16 being the warmest ot the three but difficult to find because of the high demand....

ronenash
11-25-2011, 12:56 AM
The CT6 is a very good amp in the middle of the CJ line. I had it to for a short while. No teflon caps but the sound is very transparent and fluid. I really liked it. It is way better than older CJ designs such as the PV-12.

You can't go wrong with the CT6.

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Ron, any thoughts on how it compared to the Premier 17?

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 01:01 AM
CT-6 Preamplifier (http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/ct6.html)
conrad-johnson CT6 Preamplifier Review By Rick Becker (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1006/conrad_johnson_ct6.htm)
AudiogoN Reviews: Conrad Johnson CT6 Tube preamp (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rprea&1163221900&&&/Conrad-Johnson-CT6-Tube-preamp)

Andy
Never listened to, but me seriously thought of buying one, before deciding on me for a CT5
Premier 17 or 16 would suit very also, 16 being the warmest ot the three but difficult to find because of the high demand....

The Premier 17 always seems to be in high demand, too...there were two recently on the 'Gon, and they both sold in a few days, and I just noted the lone 17 that is presently listed just sold. Says a lot for these preamps; must be because they are baby ARTs! ;)

ronenash
11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Ron, any thoughts on how it compared to the Premier 17?

Unfortunately I have not heard the Premier 17. My experience is that CJ preamp have improved with each generation although based on your experience with the CT5 and P17 that might not always be what everyone thinks.

AndyPandy
11-26-2011, 01:01 AM
I think I'll dip my toe in the water with a ET3 . Any thoughts?

ronenash
11-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I think I'll dip my toe in the water with a ET3 . Any thoughts?

The ET3 is a great preamp. Try to stretch for the SE version if budget permits. Also if you need a phono stage get the version with a phono stage as the one in the ET3 will be hard to surpass.

AndyPandy
11-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks. I am digital only these days after a sojourn into vinyl that was horribly addictive and expensive.

I have in mind a second hand unit on Audiogon which is just the plain vanilla ET3. I figure I can see if I like the CJ signature without too much downside.

Thanks for your help.

joeinid
11-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Andy,

I think you can always get an upgrade from ET3 to the SE version at any time.

Good Luck

Puma Cat
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I figure I can see if I like the CJ signature without too much downside.

Oh, you'll like it alright...:yes:

C-J is the American version of Burmester.

joeinid
11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Oh, you'll like it alright...:yes:

C-J is the American version of Burmester.

Thumbs up!

AndyPandy
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Ended up with the SE - we shall see....

joeinid
11-27-2011, 09:51 PM

:banana::banana::banana:

Give it some break-in time - You will love it!

AndyPandy
11-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes - a little worried about that: patience isn't a strong suit.

cmalak
11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Good luck Andy...hope it works out for you :thumbsup: I would have thought the C-J aficionados would have steered you towards an older more tubey preamp model but hopefully the ET-3 SE serves up all that you're looking for :yes:

AndyPandy
11-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes: well we will see. Limited downside I suspect.

cmalak
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes: well we will see. Limited downside I suspect.

:thumbsup:

AndyPandy
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Cyril
you got me thinking - I just cahnged my order and went for the standard model on the advice of the dealer, who suggested the SE was, apart from being saved from the horrid break in, far more clinical and revealing than the standard. In short - if I wanted a more sumptous sound - go the standard: so I did.
And saved $1500 - woohoo! Bought an EAT 6922 to tube roll off if I find it is too rich in stock form.
Cheers
AS

Masterlu
11-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Congrad's Andy... enjoy your new C-J :banana:

joeinid
11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Congrad's Andy... enjoy your new C-J :banana:

Another member of this elite group :thumbsup:

cmalak
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Congrats Andy :thumbsup:

ronenash
11-28-2011, 12:06 AM

Great choice! You will love it.
Run it connected to a power amp with an MP3 player on loop for two three weeks and it will be broken in. The power amp does not have to be powered on. Every time you do not listen to music leave it on with a radio or MP3 signal to break in.

ENJOY!

AndyPandy
11-28-2011, 01:38 AM
I spotted this disconcerting statement on a review of the ET3:

Like all c-j preamps, you need to phase invert the signal at the speaker terminals if you want to keep the sound in absolute phase.

Conrad-Johnson ET3 preamp (Hi-Fi+ 75) | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/conrad-johnson-et3-preamp-hi-fi-75)

Now given I have active speakers...and the CJ isn't balanced...that may be a problem. Anyone ever noticed a problem?

ronenash
11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Now given I have active speakers...and the CJ isn't balanced...that may be a problem. Anyone ever noticed a problem?

That would be a problem as you will be listening out of absolute phase. You have two options:
1. If your speakers have a phase inversion switch, you can use it.
2. Re-wire you interconnects between the preamp and the speakers to inverse phase. This is not particularly difficult.

I have read somewhere that there are RCA-RCA plugs that inverse phase but this will put another set of connectors in the signal pass.
I am sure all the hasle will still be worth it when you hear the ET3SE.

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Thank you- I am having some cables made up now inverting phase.
Received my ET3 today. Am not even listening to it for 72 hrs or so : it's on loop ATM burning in. I had a brief listen through headphones and it was horrid - so that is that till Friday: don't want to fall out of love with it before I fall in love :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Good luck Andy. Don't worry, patients grasshopper. Your reward will come.

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Yes, patience will be key, Andy.

Remember some of us have been on this path since February....:eek:

Trust us on this....;)

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
February? I'd have set fire to it after March....that is crazy stuff.

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Yup.

That's life with Teflon caps.

It's been an arduous road, to be sure, and until this last weekend, I was still pretty sure I was going to sell the CT-5 and keep my Premier 17.

But, I got back Saturday from our American Thanksgiving holiday at my sister's place and spent the rest of the day listening to music. On a lark, I plugged the CT-5 back in to the system, and that night while listening, the CT-5 just exploded.

Into a markedly better sounding preamp, that is. Something kind of just "snapped" so to speak, and the CT-5 just exploded into a veritable "wall of sound"; it starting sounding much fuller, richer, weightier, dynamic, with gorgeous decay, inner detail, etc. as well as having it's much faster transient response, detail, transparency, that it's had all along. I remember exactly when it happened, I was listening to an LP, and it was like a switch had just been thrown, bang! Gorgeous-sounding preamp, just like that.

Additionally, some of this is due, in part, and strangely enough I think, to the KT-120 power tubes in the LP70S; they seem to have created a pretty wonderful synergy with the CT-5.

I've done a lot of listening to it with the Rega P5 and Shelter MC cartridge, and the combination of these three, the CT-5, KT-120s in the LP70S, and the P5/Shelter have had literally had me shaking my head in disbelief at times.

I've been listening to it for the last three days, and while I still have some trouble believing it, I have to truthfully say the CT-5 now sounds bloody fantastic.

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Wonderful news! It's marvelous when it comes together. If I ever re enter vinyl I reckon the P5 is the place to do it! Thanks for sharing.

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Oh btw I've got an EAT 9622 on the way....

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Cool, that should be interesting. Let us know what you think; some folks love 'em.

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 03:46 AM
Told they have reliability issues so an expensive punt...

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Also think about the Genalex Gold Lions, they are quite a bit cheaper and also very good sounding.

AndyPandy
11-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Yes will try those if the EATs fail: no EAT distrib here ( or GL) so all from the US

Rayooo
11-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Told they have reliability issues so an expensive punt...

My replacement EAT 6922 is working, first one lasted a month or so as I recall.
Took about 6 months for a replacement.

the place I bought mine from did eventually elude to possible problems, although would not elaborate or actually state it as fact.
Hopefully they have addressed possible issues.

One thing though, the original tube was good one minute, and literally instantly one channel became very noisy, so it's not like it's a subtle failure. GOOD LUCK!

Rafale
11-29-2011, 08:55 AM
i have now Genalex Gold Lion 6922 now in my GAT and ET250s since 2 weeks and they are very good.... regarding the price, gonna try EAT cool damper....

AndyPandy
11-30-2011, 04:04 AM
28 hrs later and the ET3 is improving: going from unlistenable to errmmm...sort of ok...still shrill with no body and over emphasis of mids: and bass is MIA: very light on - no impact to drums. Hoping it will flesh out as we go on....another couple of days and it should tell a story.

I have no idea HOW you blokes dealt with months of run in...seriously just not something I would want to do to myself. I'm impatient and its day 2....

joeinid
11-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Hi Andy,

I know, I know, it's tough. But somebody has to do it! One advantage of buying used I suppose. Hang in there. When you start breaking through, it will be marvelous :) At least with a preamp, the amp does not have to be on to keep the break in going. So turn the amp/speakers off and go to bed or work, whatever.

Keep us posted!

Joe

joeinid
11-30-2011, 04:17 AM
i have now Genalex Gold Lion 6922 now in my GAT and ET250s since 2 weeks and they are very good.... regarding the price, gonna try EAT cool damper....

Gold Lions are very good for the money. Will the EAT fit in the GAT?

Philippe, please update me on the ET250S. I am very interested in that combo but there are other amps I am looking into to mate with my ET5/GAT.

Joe

Puma Cat
11-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi Andy,

I know, I know, it's tough. But somebody has to do it! One advantage of buying used I suppose. Hang in there. When you start breaking through, it will be marvelous :) At least with a preamp, the amp does not have to be on to keep the break in going. So turn the amp/speakers off and go to bed or work, whatever.

Keep us posted!

Joe

Well said.

Andy, I know it's challenging and frustrating, but it WILL get better. You can imagine what it's been like for me with my CT-5, Philippe and now Shane with their GATs, respectively. Remember the adage that patience is a virtue. I've heard burned in ET3s (with a McCormack DNA amp no less, Joe!) and they are one sweet preamp. So was the McCormack for that matter. ;)

joeinid
11-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Well said.

Andy, I know it's challenging and frustrating, but it WILL get better. You can imagine what it's been like for me with my CT-5, Philippe and now Shane with their GATs, respectively. Remember the adage that patience is a virtue. I've heard burned in ET3s (with a McCormack DNA amp no less, Joe!) and they are one sweet preamp. So was the McCormack for that matter. ;)

Hi Stephen,

I am going to take a deep breath. Hook up the CA200 first by itself and then maybe with the ET5 and see what happens. I am very interested in hearing about Philippe's ET250S + GAT combo and take it from there..... I imagine that is a very good match. Time will tell. For now, I have a new toy :banana:Yes!

Joe

Puma Cat
11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Joe,
I think you're going to be impressed with the CA200 just by itself. It's effectively a Premier18 and half a Premier 350.

joeinid
11-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Joe,
I think you're going to be impressed with the CA200 just by itself. It's effectively a Premier18 and half a Premier 350.

That's 2 reasons why I could not pass it up plus it should be very nice :banana:

AndyPandy
12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
@55 hrs now and opening up nicely - bass is beginning to get there although is very lacking IMHO, mids are balanced with the highs and, generally, everything is falling into place - sort of. Musical pre - nice tone. Super glad I didn't pump for the SE. Burn in alone would have been prohibitive and I wouldn't want a less sumptuous pre.
Criticism? Seems a little slow and ponderous atm: no real hard leading edge to the notes - however should suit my actives beautifully (they turn up tomorrow - yippee).

ATM? I prefer the headphone out of my MBP into my Sony MDR 7506's - which may be an impedance thing. Great headphones btw.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgUiFENIq7FIlAHp6Z81n2yg3CrUIv-N3kcmt2fjFpU9qThNmdKw

Sneek picture - this is what they look like: http://sgraudio.com.au/products/convex/images/CX4F_gallery3.jpg

Sealed active 4 ways 28 - 20 Hz.

Mine are in Cherry burl: http://sgraudio.com.au/products/convex/images/CherryBurl.jpg

joeinid
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Andy,

I know it's tough and probably why people sell their gear before they realize its full potential. My CA200 was terrible out of the box but now sounds way better and with each passing note, major improvement. You have nice gear by the way. Enjoy!

Joe

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Ok have the gear finally set up in the family room (I keep losing rooms - first my listening room becomes the "china room" ie the dining room where my wife keeps her china and then my second listening room - which became my home office..sssseeehhh: a guy can't cop a break...)

Through the actives the ET3 is very nice: so far so good. Bass is a little sloppy but there are many reasons for that - apart from the pre - ha!

Nice speakers - better than the 2905's - well sort of. Cheap as chips for what they are.

Aussie made actives - will write up a review in a few months once I get a feel on them.

joeinid
12-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Andy,

Don't feel bad. I hooked up my CA200 out of phase. I was even warned to be careful. It does sound better already. Go figure.

Joe

PS Sorry about all the loss of real estate, just put your foot down :(

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Sorry about all the loss of real estate, just put your foot down

Uh Huh....

joeinid
12-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Uh Huh....

I'm kidding :)

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Ha - I know mate - just noting the improbability of it ha ha.

All good - coming along nicely ....

turntable
12-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Hi Andy

Great to see another Aussie cj owner.

I would be the first to admit the coupling of a cj pre with one of Stuart's active SGR speakers would not have been something I would have thought of.

That said, as long as you have the phase invertion issue sorted there is no reason why it will not sound great - after burn in and brain realignment that is:D

Cheers

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi TT

I'm the tricka from SNA. As you probably know by now.

Yes Stuart's SGR's are fairly...ahem...revealing... and IMHO benefit from a rich source: OzMillsy's sound fabulous with the Killer Dac. Indeed my view of SGR changed radically when I heard OzMillsy's set up: it is superb. Rich textures in what previously I would have described as a soulless speaker.

Ha! from their biggest critic to a purchaser...wonders will never cease eh?

Enjoying the CJ kit - it is very musical and enjoyably laid back - which I like. Question mark over the handling of the bass remains - and the ET3 isn't the most dynamic or transparent pre in the world, but then again I wouldn't form any concluded view until I'm familiar with the system and I have my source bedded in - and the Mytek is still some way off.

So far a very "analogue" sounding digital system. Much warmer for instance than my Leben + Proac combo.

Phase inversion sorted: Peter Graves of Grave science cables is making me a custom RCA - XLR interconnect with phase inversion: bless him :)

Thanks for posting.

Best Wishes
Andy

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Day 4 of non stop pre running in - I have to say the ET3 is warming to its task. It certainly is a warm pre amp - which I like - superb for eg piano - really thickens up the notes. Absolutely excellent for jazz, chamber and violin music - just the right amount of atmosphere and takes some bite of uf the strings.

I find the mids are also a little confused atm in eg orchestral - which is definitely source or room related.

Criticism's - I'd posit the ET3 lacks a little air and the bass is a tad woolly so far - but bass can be anything - room, source, etc. I know they speakers have a very tight focused bass with no over hang so will put it down to source, pre and/or room. As i say with a very transparent pro derived source eg the Mytek I expect the ET3 to come into its own - softening the very revealing nature of both my speakers and source.

Very glad I bought it. Can't see any pre coming close to it for 2.5k.

What will be interesting will be hooking up the Mytek directly via XLR to my actives. THAT will tell a tell.

Cheers
AS

cmalak
12-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Andy...can you give us a little bit more info on your active speakers? They look interesting. Also, at least from the pics, they seem to have fine build quality :thumbsup:

Thx

AndyPandy
12-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Just off for a nap Cyril - will post some details and pics in a couple hrs. Thanks for asking :)

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Oh I love a nap in the afternoon after a busy week.

Now the SGR's -

They are an Australian company consisting of father and son Harry and Stuart Ralston. Stuart is the electronic whizz.

They manufacture speakers and electronics. They only make sealed active speakers.

The CX 4 F is their entry level floorstander. It is part of their convex range - which is the entire 5.1 set up. My speakers retail for about 10k. The cab's are CNCed in China and finished here - not sure where the electronics are made. All designed by Stuart.

My 4's have plate amps.

Fit and finish is exemplary.

Now onto the important stuff. Sound.

Sounds is like any really well sorted cone driver 3 or 4 way: extremely coherent and effortless. I can't detect XO and certainly it appears cohesive. Bass is of course deep punchy and fast from a sealed unit. Dynamics are extraordinary, as you would expect from an active unit and they can crank if you want them too.

I once characterised them as incredibly accurate but unmusical speakers. ESL's with bass but no real magic about them. I should have realised they were transparent of source. Really if they have a sonic signature it is too the Dynaudio end of life. With eg the CJ ET3 they are very rich sounding indeed.

A more complete speaker then the 2905's and build quality is vastly superior. A serious hi fi speaker for not a huge amount of money these are good value.

Pic's tomorrow...

Jerome W
12-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Congrats Andy on your new CJ preamp :banana: !
I'm a bit late here : I missed that you bought one.

Stephen, what did you mean by "CJ is the american version of Burmester" ?
They have the same sonic signature ?

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Congrats Andy on your new CJ preamp :banana: !
I'm a bit late here : I missed that you bought one.

Stephen, what did you mean by "CJ is the american version of Burmester" ?
They have the same sonic signature ?

In essence, yes. While they don't sound exactly alike, C-J sounds more like Burmester, perhaps a better way to put it is that the experience is more Burmester-like than any other American manufacturer I know of.

Jerome W
12-03-2011, 02:41 AM
In essence, yes. While they don't sound exactly alike, C-J sounds more like Burmester, perhaps a better way to put it is that the experience is more Burmester-like than any other American manufacturer I know of.

Thanks Stephen.
Interesting.
Did you have a chance to compare high end ARC preamps with CJ ones ?

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Jérôme,
Not directly in a side-by-side. I heard an ARC preamp at RMAF, the Ref 5. It was very neutral, but personally I don't find it as musical as a C-J preamp. The ARC sounded very good, but it didn't move me. Maybe kind of like how your describe your Clearaudio compared to your Rega, perhaps.

I also prefer the Octave preamp to ARC.

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Hi Jerome - thanks for the kind words :)

I agree with Steven - ARC are excellent but quite dry - they suit a warmer sounding pair of speakers. The analogy with Clearaudio is an excellent one. Both to the transparent dry end of the scale. Lots of information but don't move me the same as some other brands - which isn't to say other people pefer that sound and its right for them. The Ref line I have always thought more clinical than the regular line. I prefer the ARC LS 26 to the Ref 3 for instance. The Ref 110 is a cracker of an amp - holographic but quite dry. Quite abit less generous than eg McIntosh.

Out of curiosity I hooked up my Auraliti analogue out directly to my speakers attenuating with digital volume control. The combination had more snap and presence than with the CJ in the chain, but not nearly as beautiful. I suspect having had the Auraliti in phase with the speakers helped - ha!

It also confirmed my thoughts about the rate limiting factor being the source atm: clearly the modded Esi @ Juli card in the Auraliti, good as it is for $160 in the context of a $800 music server product, has its limitations :scratch2:

I have my Oppo 93 feeding the CJ - sounds gorgeous even out of phase. :yes:

Playing Christmas carols as we wrap Xmas presents :D I enjoy this time of year - having a Dad in the USA, an Aunt in Scotland and a sister in NZ with kiddiwinks we always have a busy early December getting presents bought, wrapped and sent. On the home straight now..

Xmas wishes to you all....

joeinid
12-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks Andy for the description and background on your speakers. I'm glad to read the ET3 is at least doing mostly what you want. CJ makes great gear and I look forward to reading what you think as it gets more time on the clock.

I understand where Stephen is coming from and Andy makes great points. I prefer the warmer, more engaging sound of CJ as opposed to a slightly drier presentation. Burmester really straddles the line and gives you the best of both worlds. No other solid state sounds like Burmester, and no other gear I've heard is as musical as CJ. They are for me the 2 best brands.

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh no - this morning no sound - lights up everything looks ok and no sound - like the mute is on ( it's not). Eeeekk ... And I have a couple folk coming around for a listen and to set up the speakers EQ. Fortunately I have an MSB dac sitting here that can be plugged in and act as a pre.....

Bit of a worry when a new ET3 has a problem after 4 days....sigh ..must be something in the water up here.

cmalak
12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Andy...thx for the description on your speakers :thumbsup:

On the ARC commentary, from evrything I read and hear the current line of amps Ref 150 and Ref 250 (as compared to my Ref 110s and the Ref 210s) are less dry and lean and present more meat on the bones. I have not heard them but that is what I hear. But yes, Audio Research has continuously evolved into a less tubey more neutral sound in each successive generation. What it retains from the tube circuitry is the transparency, openness, and 3D holographic nature of tubes but there is no beautification going on with Audio Research circuitry.

Rayooo
12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh no - this morning no sound - lights up everything looks ok and no sound - like the mute is on ( it's not). Eeeekk ... And I have a couple folk coming around for a listen and to set up the speakers EQ. Fortunately I have an MSB dac sitting here that can be plugged in and act as a pre.....

Bit of a worry when a new ET3 has a problem after 4 days....sigh ..must be something in the water up here.

wow, just noticed this,...have you determined what happened?:sigh:

chessman
12-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Does it have more than one input? Somehow chose an inactive input?

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Rayoo - nope - just popped it back in its packaging to return to the dealer; not voiding warranty by opening it up without permission. Although I do have an electronics engineer coming over this morning....tempted - but the dealer /importer here is a very prickly customer.

He is likely to say its my problem if he sees I've opened it up without talking to him first. On the other hand if I ring him he is likely to send me a new unit in exchange immediately. Odd and difficult man to deal with.

Hi Randy - nope - tried all inputs and none play. Its definitely the Pre - I left it playing a loop CD last night with my speakers turned off to continue burning it in, shuffled into the lounge this morning, turned on the speakers and...nothing...nor with the other sources I have hooked up to it. Turned it off...waited...turned it on..nothing. Mute - on /off - nothing. Volume up and down - nothing. Might just be a blown 6922 tube. Or a faulty solder join on the rca out. In any event have my Auraliti hooked up directly to speakers now an its playing just fine.

Tres annoying. What is it with me and gear? First the Quads and now the ET3...:sigh: I can understand the Quads...they are made in China to very poor quality control standards (I got to look at the soldering once they were pulled apart - it was disgraceful) but CJ? One doesn't expect problems.

Of course the common denominator is moi....

Rafale
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Andy....it is very probably a fuse....

Rayooo
12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi Rayoo - nope - just popped it back in its packaging to return to the dealer; not voiding warranty by opening it up without permission. Although I do have an electronics engineer coming over this morning....tempted - but the dealer /importer here is a very prickly customer.

He is likely to say its my problem if he sees I've opened it up without talking to him first. On the other hand if I ring him he is likely to send me a new unit in exchange immediately. Odd and difficult man to deal with.

Hi Randy - nope - tried all inputs and none play. Its definitely the Pre - I left it playing a loop CD last night with my speakers turned off to continue burning it in, shuffled into the lounge this morning, turned on the speakers and...nothing...nor with the other sources I have hooked up to it. Turned it off...waited...turned it on..nothing. Mute - on /off - nothing. Volume up and down - nothing. Might just be a blown 6922 tube. Or a faulty solder join on the rca out. In any event have my Auraliti hooked up directly to speakers now an its playing just fine.

Tres annoying. What is it with me and gear? First the Quads and now the ET3...:sigh: I can understand the Quads...they are made in China to very poor quality control standards (I got to look at the soldering once they were pulled apart - it was disgraceful) but CJ? One doesn't expect problems.

sorry to hear this! No doubt about it, these things happen. I had an ET3 for awhile, 'was trying to think of any gotchas, but nothing came to mind. I understand about not wanting to pop the top.

Maybe the tube itself went south, 'course most of the tube failures I've had have been them going way noisy and not a complete failure.

Were you able to hear the normal relay clicking sounds for volume and the mute relay going on/off? I guess if the tube heater pwr supply failed that'd send the thing to a failure sounding like what you experienced. :scratch2: :tears:

Rafale
12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I had a comparable incident with my CT5, it was a tube and a fuse to change....

joeinid
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Andy,

I am so sorry to read of your trouble with the ET3. Let's hope it's something simple so you don't have to suffer through a LONGER break in. Good Luck!

Joe

chessman
12-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Andy, I would be wroth. What a PITA!

Puma Cat
12-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Andy,
This has happened to me with my Pr17 and CT-5...did you try completely unplugging the ET3, waiting 10 secs and replugging it back in? I find that does the trick in my case.

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks Stephen
Problem fixed! All working again.

Cheers
AS

joeinid
12-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks Stephen

Cheers
AS

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

AndyPandy
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I know - don't I feel a goose...

turntable
12-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Stephen

Cheers
AS

Ah ha ha. Gotta laugh at that one. You probably had your active speakers on or something when switching the et3 off/on.

The old switch off and back on is standard help desk speak if you ring Telstra of foxtel with problems.

jwhite613
12-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks Stephen

Cheers
AS

Another reason AA is so great!!! :thumbsup: :yes: :banana:

joeinid
12-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Another reason AA is so great!!! :thumbsup: :yes: :banana:

+1

Jeff,

You are so right!

:D

Puma Cat
12-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Ah ha ha. Gotta laugh at that one. You probably had your active speakers on or something when switching the et3 off/on.

The old switch off and back on is standard help desk speak if you ring Telstra of foxtel with problems.

There's this weird thing the microprocessor controlled relay-switched preamps do under certain conditions that cause the preamp to kind of "lock up" and not put out any sound. Believe it or not, I've induced this failure mode when lifting a record off a TT and hearing a static electricity crackle. That's how I was able to suggest to Andy to just try unplugging and replugging in his preamp; it's always worked for me!

Puma Cat
12-04-2011, 01:23 AM

Actually, in this case, you actually have to unplug and replug in the preamp; switching it on or off will not do it. It gets into a "locked" mode.

AndyPandy
12-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Exactly! On off didn't make any difference - unplugging it was the key. Thanks Stephen.

Puma Cat
12-04-2011, 03:23 AM
Cheers, mate!

Rayooo
12-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Exactly! On off didn't make any difference - unplugging it was the key. Thanks Stephen.

great news! yea, I guess in this world today everything has some kind of processor in it just waiting to go nuts. Hum, guess I'd better go reset my toaster, 'been getting a lot of burnt toast lately. :D :D :D

Rafale
12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
great news indeed
btw excepted a fuse to be changed with my CT5, I have never met problem with a CJ for more than 10 years of use, with a majority of equipment bought overseas, thus delivered to my place of residence after a long international transport, CJ is reliable ....

AndyPandy
12-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Rafaele - Thanks for your input. Sure CJ are 120% reliable - just having a bad equipment run of late ha!
Now update - plugged in the custom RCA - XLR connectors and Much improved clarity and quality when in phase but.....hum! So that isn't going to work.

So it goes on.....

joeinid
12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Rafaele - Thanks for your input. Sure CJ are 120% reliable - just having a bad equipment run of late ha!
Now update - plugged in the custom RCA - XLR connectors and Much improved clarity and quality when in phase but.....hum! So that isn't going to work.

So it goes on.....

Maybe it doesn't know the words?

Andy,

I am so sorry to hear of this. And you are right, this will not work. Maybe a balanced preamp is in store for you.

I've used these with success.

Cardas Gold Premium CGA Male XLR Adapters - XLR Male to RCA Female
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1352634/i/CardasXLRNew1BLK.jpg

The new Cardas XLR/RCA adapters are "clearly" the best performing adapter on the planet. Rhodium and Gold surfaces throughout. Extremely short signal path and one piece construction result in unparalleled performance and signal integrity. Unique "end shielding" technique rejects RF and Clock signal interferences.
Sold in pairs

AndyPandy
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Ohh...I just got it ha ha ha ha

Thanks Joe for the suggestion will investigate.

joeinid
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Ohh...I just got it ha ha ha ha

Thanks Joe for the suggestion will investigate.

Fingers and toes crossed.

AndyPandy
12-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Well I have to say..this is one brilliant pre amp: I'm not sure how much better the range gets but...as with all audio...I'm sure diminishing returns kick in.

Frankly I'm amazed at what $2500 buys you in terms of musicality. I'm not sure I would suggest pumping for the SE model: at nearly $1500 (or 40% more) one would have to ask...why? Surely you would be getting into used ET5 territory....for not much more.

Overall - a superb piece of kit and one I can easily recommend. Even out of absolute phase.

Graham (Audio-Savant??) hopefully will be visiting over the Xmas break with his Shindo pre...which will make for an interesting comparison.

BTW I'm loving these actives..guys - these are serious value - fully active 4 ways with 28-20Hz FR, sealed enclosures, separate psu's and fully adjustable...well everything: on- board EG, slopping 3 db stepped bass attenuation the lot. And all for A$10k.

Ivan - you should think about picking up this as a distributorship. Fit and Finish is amazing. The CX4F is the pick of the line for value vs performance.

Utterly transparent - they sound like what you have up front.

Puma Cat
12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Another happy C-J convert!

The ET3 reminded me of my Premier 17, and for the money is a killer preamp.

joeinid
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Andy,

How did you sort out the Hum issue?

Joe

AndyPandy
12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Nope - just using the CJ via RCA - its out of absolute phase with my speakers: which is a nuisance but not something to get too excited about.

AndyPandy
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Update - my EAT 6922 tube is at the PO. Will pick up later and pop in the system.

The Mytek has a nice feature: you can invert absolute phase. CJ problem solved.

Its interesting - when I have a REALLY good recording I prefer it straight from my Mytek via XLR - everything else I like the CJ in the chain. Which says alot about the pre function in the Mytek....

Fortunately its as hard as flicking a switch on the speakers and bypassing the volume control on the Mytek and voila - instant CJ in the path.

Much fun. Now to convert some SACD ISO's...

turntable
12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi Andy

Great to see you have resolved the phase issue and the system is humming.

AndyPandy
12-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks Shane.

AndyPandy
01-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Love the EAT 6922: it really lifts the ET3 to another level.

Highly recommended.

Oh and I can recommend Galen Carol as a dealer - took the trouble to disclose to me that the EAT 6922 has had some returns and then went to the trouble of playing my tube for a few days to ensure it would be trouble free. All for a $230 sale including shipping. Does him great credit.

Rafale
01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=AndyPandy;248162]Love the EAT 6922: it really lifts the ET3 to another level.

Highly recommended.

+1
stunning holographic sound with my GAT, best ECC 88 /6922 i have tried

domj
03-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Hi guys, anyone knows how does the ct6 compare to the Classic ? I am using the Classic now but am contemplating either upgrading it to SE, or getting a used CT6. Upgrading my Classic to SE is of cos the most cost effective route but How much difference would that make vs going with a ct6. Budget does not allow for a et3 for now. Amp is a mv60se with focal 1007s Thanks.

domj
04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Anyone?😊

jwhite613
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
domj... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

chessman
04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
domj, welcome aboard! :wave:

Puma Cat
04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi guys, anyone knows how does the ct6 compare to the Classic ? I am using the Classic now but am contemplating either upgrading it to SE, or getting a used CT6. Upgrading my Classic to SE is of cos the most cost effective route but How much difference would that make vs going with a ct6. Budget does not allow for a et3 for now. Amp is a mv60se with focal 1007s Thanks.

I think the CT6 would be a nice step up from the Classic as the CT6 is a "composite triode" design, and looks on paper to be much like the Premier 17 preamp. The CT6 was supposed to be a "baby CT-5", but it uses 6922 tubes, which gives you a lot more flexibility as far as tube rolling goes.

You can always call C-J and ask Ed how the CT-6 compares to the Classic. They are very honest and open and will tell you what they know based on their experience. When I called and asked if the ET3 was as good as the Premier 17, they said, "No way. The Premier 17 was built to a notably higher specification than the ET3".

I'd say go for it!

domj
04-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks 😊