PDA

View Full Version : Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:51 PM
This thread is for discussion of the famous Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 amplifier:

From the C-J website:
Hybrid Solid-State Circuit.
The Premier 350 benefits from an interesting hybrid of solid-state technologies. The distortion characteristics of an amplifier are dominated by it's voltage gain stage. We have selected FETs for this application, because, like tubes, and unlike bi-polar transistors, they produce almost no strident odd-order harmonic distortion. The output stage of an amplifier must efficiently couple the high amplitude signal produced by the voltage gain stage to the loudspeaker system to assure the power and control needed to produce a musically accurate response. Bi-polar devices have been specified for the output stages of these amplifiers because they offer about 1/4th the output impedance of a MOSFET, resulting in much better control of the loudspeaker. This is most noticeable in faster, more solid bass response.

Zero Feedback.
Negative feedback is an engineering technique used to reduce measured distortion. While feedback does achieve this goal, it also introduces aberrations in the tran-sient response characteristics of the circuit. The Premier 350 uses conrad-johnson's unique auto-linear gain block for the voltage gain stage, which achieves low distortion with zero loop feedback by exploiting the symmetrical distortion properties of n and p channel fets.

Solid Power Supplies.

Power supply circuits present a parallel signal path to the audio circuits. Ideally this signal path provides ac signals with a zero impedance path to ground. Any deviation from this ideal is reflected in the reproduced audio signal. Thus the power supplies are as important to audio performance as the audio circuits and must be accorded equal attention in design. The Premier 350 features a discrete dc regulators to power the critical voltage gain stage.

Quality Parts.

As with all Premier components, the Premier 350 is constructed from the highest quality, carefully selected parts for unrivaled sonic performance and reliability. The circuits employ polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors extensively, except in the main power supply storage, where special high-speed electrolytics are used because of the extremely high capacitance required. The audio circuit and related power supplies utilize precision low inductance laser-trimmed metal foil resistors. The obsession for parts quality extends to the high quality, gold plated input jacks and output connectors - even the internal wiring is chosen on the basis of its sound quality in its specific application.

Thoughtful engineering, specification of the finest available component parts, and painstaking care taken in production make this an audio amplifier without peer in music reproduction. We invite you to arrange an audition with your conrad-johnson dealer to confirm for yourself the extraordinary musical performance of the Premier 350.

dpod4
11-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines...

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 12:45 AM
We need Coppy to chime in...he's got a Pr350 IIRC....

dpod4
11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Nov 2011. Unpacked brand new PR 350. I am living in a special time space continuum.

cmalak
11-23-2011, 01:29 AM
dpod4....congrats! How did you manage to get a brand new one?

dpod4
11-23-2011, 01:36 AM
dpod4....congrats! How did you manage to get a brand new one?

Dealer's bro in law had one in storage never opened. Nixed home theater room. I did major outreach at right time. Talked to CJ and confirmed unit was new and authorized. Seller even double boxed and did 2 day fed ex. I am so grateful. I feel very fortunate.

Here is system it is going into.

cmalak
11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Major score! Very nicely done :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Nov 2011. Unpacked brand new PR 350. I am living in a special time space continuum.

Congrats...it looks beautiful...that's a major coup.

Rafale
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
BRAVO, beautiful and great amp, well done:thumbsup::tresbon:

turntable
11-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Dealer's bro in law had one in storage never opened. Nixed home theater room. I did major outreach at right time. Talked to CJ and confirmed unit was new and authorized. Seller even double boxed and did 2 day fed ex. I am so grateful. I feel very fortunate.

Here is system it is going into.

Sweet and lucky buy to get nos.

Will be iteresting how they drive the maggies.

This review for the et-250 had trouble with his martin logans

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=815

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Should be good on the Maggie's; I think the issue with MLs is that their impedance goes way low at some point....

dpod4
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Should be good on the Maggie's; I think the issue with MLs is that their impedance goes way low at some point....

Maggie 3.7s are stable at 4 ohm so PR 350 should effortlessly handle them.

Another shout out to ToneAudio and AA which really incented me to join the CJ family. Same music-first, holistic, equipment with loyal fan base as I read in Shindo forums.

Coppy
11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
We need Coppy to chime in...he's got a Pr350 IIRC....

I'm here... just tuned in to this thread. You folks know how I feel about this AMP, it's an incredible bargain for this level of performance... can't let it go. Some say it's a bit delicate but I've not had any issues although I'm careful not to connect/disconnect anything while it's on or has been on. Those big caps inside retain a good deal of their power long after it's shut down. As has been said, be careful not to short the outputs... ever. I think some folks at dealers who are constantly pulling equipment in and out for demo have had difficulty when they were too casual about connections.

Now that's said, enjoy the dynamics... the P350 will drive just about anything. And it's response is dead flat. It's still a reference amp for reviewers overseas. It's difficult for them to use our beloved tube amps as the don't always match speakers. Here's a ToneAudio review if it comes through on this post...
/Users/rbc7/Downloads/review_premier350_j_dorgay_ta.pdf

Hmm... maybe not. Got to figure out how to add this PDF file. In the meantime, enjoy the music.

Stephen... how are the KT120s doing?

:music:

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Coppy,
The KT-120s are doing great, and the interesting thing is they seemed to have created a wonderful synergy with the CT-5. I spent the evening listening to the CT-5 last night with my Rega P5 and I'm going to have to rethink things. The fuller, weightier, and punchier presentation of the KT-120s has filled in some of the gaps I've always felt the CT-5 had compared to the Premier 17. Namely, while the CT-5 was quieter, faster, more detailed and transparent, it was thinner, leaner, flatter, more neutal and smaller in presentation than the Premier 17.

The KT-120s seems to have really brought the CT-5 to another level in terms of these gaps. Gotta say, the CT-5 sounded REALLY good last night. The other remarkable thing is how good the Rega P5 is compared to my much more expensive Michell/SME V/Koetsu UV.

Interesting thing to think about, about how a power tube in an amp can create greater synergistic results with a preamp.

Coppy
11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Coppy,
The KT-120s are doing great, and the interesting thing is they seemed to have created a wonderful synergy with the CT-5. I spent the evening listening to the CT-5 last night with my Rega P5 and I'm going to have to rethink things. The fuller, weightier, and punchier presentation of the KT-120s has filled in some of the gaps I've always felt the CT-5 had compared to the Premier 17. Namely, while the CT-5 was quieter, faster, more detailed and transparent, it was thinner, leaner, flatter, more neutal and smaller in presentation than the Premier 17.

The KT-120s seems to have really brought the CT-5 to another level in terms of these gaps. Gotta say, the CT-5 sounded REALLY good last night. The other remarkable thing is how good the Rega P5 is compared to my much more expensive Michell/SME V/Koetsu UV.

Interesting thing to think about, about how a power tube in an amp can create greater synergistic results with a preamp.

It never ceases to amaze me how simply getting properly matched equipment together makes such a huge difference in the sound. Some of the world's best equipment can be so disappointing paired badly together. And, it's not at all obvious why that is or how to match things except trial and error. Why do Transparent cables work well with Wilson speakers? Certain interconnects work better in certain systems? There are a few obvious electrical issues like impedance and damping factor but look at what a tube change in your amp did for the amp/preamp combo. The output of the CT-5 was probably always there but only now can your amp fully express it. Maybe we need a thread on just this subject. Glad to hear everything is working so well for you.

Bob

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Bob,
Yes, I think we need a new thread on just this subject! ;)

I'm listening to the CT-5 right now again, and it sounds fab; it's strikingly quiet for a tube preamp.

dpod4
11-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Just plugged my CJ350 in, after listening to my reference CDs thru my VAC 300.1a amp. Wow, I guess that's what bass and punch is supposed to sound like thru my Magnepan 3.7s! I kid you not, I muted and unmuted my Velodyne DD15+ and could no longer hear the subwoofer...my Magnepans are now taking over the low end via the Premier 350. I was bracing myself for loss of delicacy at the top, but right of the box, first 1/2 hour turned on the CJ is much better in the mids and highs than I was expecting -- not overly bright nor rolled off. Nice to know the spatial soundstaging inherent in my VAC preamp carries over to the SS amp. Other thing I am noticing is incredible combination of macro and micro dynamics.

chessman
11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you have a winner. Congrats!!

joeinid
11-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Lets get a CJ Premier 350 re-issue group buy going !!! I'm in!

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd be with ya, Joe, but they'd never do it....

joeinid
11-23-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd be with ya, Joe, but they'd never do it....

If we wish it, it will come true :thumbsup:

dpod4
11-23-2011, 11:36 PM
If we wish it, it will come true :thumbsup:

When I called CJ a few weeks ago they said it would be $15-16k + to build that amp today. From initial listening I am not surprised. Not quite as liquid smooth as my VAC (not broken in tho) but sheer force and presence is mind boggling.

joeinid
11-23-2011, 11:49 PM
When I called CJ a few weeks ago they said it would be $15-16k + to build that amp today. From initial listening I am not surprised. Not quite as liquid smooth as my VAC (not broken in tho) but sheer force and presence is mind boggling.

:scratch2: Maybe an ET250S might be good enough :D

turntable
11-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Gee guys

I almost wish I did not sell my prem350 a few years back.

that said, my prem 8a's are the better sounding amplifiers, especially with 3d floating image, tone and upper frequency extension and "air"

still, would have been nice to use during summer :-)

dpod4
11-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Gee guys

I almost wish I did not sell my prem350 a few years back.

that said, my prem 8a's are the better sounding amplifiers, especially with 3d floating image, tone and upper frequency extension and "air"

still, would have been nice to use during summer :-)

Agree it is tough to beat tubes for nonfatiguing natural fluid holographic mids and highs. I can't imagine selling my VAC 300.1a

Coppy
11-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines...

dpod my friend... I should add two more suggestions:

First... as you doubt already know, that thing is a heavy 85 lb. and is not a well balanced lift. The left side is so much heavier than the right. It's a hoss to move around... and please be careful. The cooling fins on the left side all have sharp edges and will show no mercy to your forearms.

Secondly... although this may be a good thing as you already like the sound...this was one of the first units in which C-J used proprietary teflon caps. I don't remember a break-in issue but the sound should only get better for you with time. I've never found the sound at all fatiguing and none of the reviewers that I've read did either. Is it as holographic as my LP140 tubes, probably not but it sure is faster with tighter lows. Back to the Ravens.

Enjoy the champaign beast! :yes:

Bob

turntable
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM

First... as you doubt already know, that thing is a heavy 85 lb. and is not a well balanced lift. The left side is so much heavier than the right. It's a hoss to move around... and please be careful. The cooling fins on the left side all have sharp edges and will show no mercy to your forearms.

Secondly... although this may be a good thing as you already like the sound...this was one of the first units in which C-J used proprietary teflon caps. I don't remember a break-in issue but the sound should only get better for you with time. I've never found the sound at all fatiguing and none of the reviewers that I've read did either. Is it as holographic as my LP140 tubes, probably not but it sure is faster with tighter lows. Back to the Ravens.

Bob

Bob

Where does it say it has teflon caps?

certainly not in the spec's

The circuits employ polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors extensively, except in the main power supply storage, where special high-speed electrolytics are used because of the extremely high capacitance required.

Coppy
11-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Bob

Where does it say it has teflon caps?

certainly not in the spec's

If it will come through, here is an excerpt from Roy Gregory's review in HiFi Plus of the P350 referring to the teflon caps: /Users/rbc7/Desktop/Screen Shot 2011-11-24 at 10.50.27 PM.png. Got to figure out how to add this stuff here, but maybe you can look it up on their site. There were reviews in both HiFi+ and ToneAudio. I might also have the original C-J product flier someplace. If so I can e-mail a picture to you.

I can remember discussing the caps with Tor Sivertsen (then sales manager for C-J) when I bought the 350 some years ago.

Bob

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Here is the link to the Roy Gregory HiFi+ review of the Pr350:

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/HiFi+PR350.pdf

It does mention the use of Teflon caps....

dpod4
11-25-2011, 01:02 AM

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I had read where most of the weight was on the left side so I was super careful lifting and placing it. Thanks for the good counsel. CJ and others have also advised about the burn in for Teflon caps - 300+ hours to hit their stride so I will be certain to listen for changes although I think it sounds awesome out of the box. Your description is very accurate. The sound is very fast. I feel like all veils have been lifted without any glare or edginess being present (I'm very sensitive to overly strident or etching sonics). Cheers.

dpod4
11-25-2011, 01:03 AM

And the manual and brochure that came with it references the Teflon caps.

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Bob. I had read where most of the weight was on the left side so I was super careful lifting and placing it. Thanks for the good counsel. CJ and others have also advised about the burn in for Teflon caps - 300+ hours to hit their stride so I will be certain to listen for changes although I think it sounds awesome out of the box. Your description is very accurate. The sound is very fast. I feel like all veils have been lifted without any glare or edginess being present (I'm very sensitive to overly strident or etching sonics). Cheers.

Now all you need is a C-J preamp! :thumbsup:

turntable
11-25-2011, 01:09 AM

And the manual and brochure that came with it references the Teflon caps.

thanks Gents.

bizzare how the cj web site spec's say nothing.

JONERVI
11-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Just plugged my CJ350 in

Wow, I guess that's what bass and punch is supposed to sound like

..my Magnepans are now taking over the low end via the Premier 350.

the CJ is much better in the mids and highs than I was expecting -- not overly bright nor rolled off.

Other thing I am noticing is incredible combination of macro and micro dynamics.

Congrats on your purchase dpod4..........I own this amp as well

I'm amazed that in your short time with this amp....you have experienced and written in your post the best qualities of the Prem 350SA.............Enjoy

dpod4
11-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Congrats on your purchase dpod4..........I own this amp as well

I'm amazed that in your short time with this amp....you have experienced and written in your post the best qualities of the Prem 350SA.............Enjoy

Thanks!

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 01:50 AM
dodp4,
How is the Premier 350 settling in?

dpod4
11-29-2011, 02:21 AM
dodp4,
How is the Premier 350 settling in?

Thanks for asking. I now know why this component has a cult following and why Jeff Dorgay encouraged me to be patient and find one. It is amazing. Just noticed tonight listening to a Naim cd recording on my modwright 5400es that the Pr350 is sounding even better - more richness and meat on the bones. I sent an email today to CJ stating how happy I am (a portion pasted below). While my (broken-in) VAC 300.1a amp has a hard to equal, impossible to beat holographic harmonic magic to it, the CJ is pleasing in similar and different ways and better in others like micro/macro dynamics etc. I could not be happier (unless the loud startup pop wasn't part of the circuitry). The fact I landed a NOS in-perfect-condition unit makes me even more grateful. Sorry to gush but this 350 is perfect for my Magnepan 3.7s and my ears. I'm now a CJ fan for life. Thx to die-hard CJ loyalists on AA as that incented my search.

In part, sent to CJ earlier today and was told it was being forwarded to mssrs Conrad and Johnson:

"....I hooked up the Premier 350 into my high-end 2 channel audio system and let it compete against my tube amplifier. It held its own in a big way and that was right out of the box! The sweet, delicate nature of this amplifier is matched by its deliberate grip and dynamic finesse. It is a perfect solid state amplifier, delivering the power and speed of solid state, and the spatial imaging, delicate mids/highs and non-fatiguing sound of tubes. My favorite piece of equipment has been my Benz Micro LP-S moving coil cartridge. I think it was just displaced by the Premier 350. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Hard to believe after it breaks in it will sound even better...."

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:24 AM
That's wonderful, dpod4 (BTW, what is your real name?); you have a lot of us envious here. I'm sure Bill and Lew will like to hear of your review.

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Sign me up for one. Let's get the petition going and deposits ready. Congratulations! Glad you are enjoying an amazing piece of history. I don't think the lottery would have been any better!

dpod4
11-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Sign me up for one. Let's get the petition going and deposits ready. Congratulations! Glad you are enjoying an amazing piece of history. I don't think the lottery would have been any better!

Thx. From what I'm told you are in for the same treat with the ca200!!

dpod4
11-29-2011, 02:35 AM
That's wonderful, dpod4 (BTW, what is your real name?); you have a lot of us envious here. I'm sure Bill and Lew will like to hear of your review.

And sorry should have signed threads with my name (Darrin).

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Thx. From what I'm told you are in for the same treat with the ca200!!

Thanks Darrin,

I am excited, that's one reason why I snagged it before they disappear. I think the ET5 playing through the CA200 should be a fun combo.

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks, Darrin!
No worries, this is just such a friendly place, most of us use our real names when addressing each other; it's more personal.

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat.

dpod4
11-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks, Darrin!
No worries, this is just such a friendly place, most of us use our real names when addressing each other; it's more personal.

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat.

It's a great resource and friendly community for sure. AA is now tied with Words for Friends as most used app on my iPhone and iPad!
Darrin

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Darrin,
You've got quite a system there; it's impressive. How do you like the Soundsmith Ebony Voice? I've always liked the Ebony Voice when I've heard it in Peter's rooms at audio shows; I prefer it to the Strain Gauge, the Susurro and the new "cactus needle" cartridge.

Rafale
11-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Truly amazing Darrin....thanks for sharing

dpod4
11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Darrin,
You've got quite a system there; it's impressive. How do you like the Soundsmith Ebony Voice? I've always liked the Ebony Voice when I've heard it in Peter's rooms at audio shows; I prefer it to the Strain Gauge, the Susurro and the new "cactus needle" cartridge.

Thanks, Stephen,
The Voice Ebony is very fast, detailed, open and airy. Throws a massive soundstage...biggest I've heard . I'm not sure I have the VTA dialed in and I'm not sure how much of what I am hearing is the triplanar and/or the modified empire table. I need to spend more time with it and compare to Innovation and Graham/Benz. I am thinking I wish I had stuck with just one table (ESP now since it has two arms). I grew up with an Empire 698 so the Atmasphere was an impulse purchase. Will likely sell it if anyone is interested here....a turnkey system with a new triplanar arm (mfgd in this past summer). I had a local audiophile friend over who's ears I trust a lot and encouraged me to keep it. Darrin

dpod4
12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Update. Pr350 is becoming more awesome each day. Listened to sacd Rickie Lee Jones last night (Pirates, Woody and Dutch track). Best I have ever heard it bar none. Nothing between me and RLJ vocals. Heard details never noticed before. The CJ350 remained sweet but lifted all veils.

This is the album/track I remember listening to as a teenager with my maggies and modified hafler amp and empire ttable/grado setup. All the Maggie traits I remember and love but more detail sweetness dynamics and MUSIC. Front to back imaging depth is amazing. What amazes me is amount of detail and extension coupled with perfect sweetness. Not as holographic as VAC tubes tho....

joeinid
12-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Sure, rub it in. Seriously you have great amp there. I am very happy you are enjoying it very much. Happy break in
:)

cmalak
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Sure, rub it in. Seriously you have great amp there. I am very happy you are enjoying it very much. Happy break in

Joe...that's not rubbing it in. When Darrin lets you know how the Pr350 is beating the pants off the 911mk3 he auditioned just recently, that's when he'll be rubbing it in :D

dpod4
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM

:-) you and I were the lucky ones this year!!

joeinid
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Joe...that's not rubbing it in. When Darrin lets you know how the Pr350 is beating the pants of the 911mk3 he auditioned just recently, that's when he'll be rubbing it in :D

Cyril,

That 911 is a tough cookie to crack. The ONLY thing that might beat it is a 909 mk5. :) Hmmmmm. That's for another day.

I would love to hear/own a Pr 350 based on my experience with that little CA200.

Ha!

joeinid
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
:-) you and I were the lucky ones this year!!

No truer words have been spoken. Thanks!!!

dpod4
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Cyril,

That 911 is a tough cookie to crack. The ONLY thing that might beat it is a 909 mk5. :) Hmmmmm. That's for another day.

I would love to hear/own a Pr 350 based on my experience with that little CA200.

Ha!

From talking to Jeff Dorgay I would bet it would be hard to beat the 911mk3 (or a pair of them). Although I was fortunate enough to hear the Pass Labs monos driving his Gamuts. Not sure I have heard anything that good/sublime in my life.

cmalak
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Cyril,

Ha!

I was just teasing Joe :D

joeinid
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I was just teasing Joe :D

I know, Cyril. No offense taken. But I'd like to hear the 909 :) you never know when a deal may pop up. If I had a chance for a NOS Pr 350, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. It's legendary.

cmalak
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Joe...I am going to send you a PM with a question so as not to derail Darrin's thread on the Premier 350.

joeinid
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Joe...I am going to send you a PM with a question so as not to derail Darrin's thread on the Premier 350.

Fire away!

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Darrin,
How is life with the Premier 350? Inquiring minds want to know. You've been pretty quiet lately so we can only assume you've been absorbed in listening to music!

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Ha!

It's a lot like a Burmester 911MkIII except perhaps just a skosh warmer and "rounder", but not by much. If you can imagine a 911 MkIII done by C-J you'd have the Premier 350.

dpod4
12-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Darrin,
How is life with the Premier 350? Inquiring minds want to know. You've been pretty quiet lately so we can only assume you've been absorbed in listening to music!

The word that comes to mind is "giddy" to describe how I am feeling about the pr350. A few hundred hours and it sounds 40-50% better from its original awesomeness. Fuller, richer, more musical, more textured harmonics, tighter slam. It is a perfect amp, especially driving my stable 4 ohm Magnepan 3.7 speakers. Darrin

Rayooo
12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Dont' get me wrong, I love the JC-1s, just wish I could've had a listen with PR350 and my 3.7s prior.

Puma Cat
12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Wonderful, Darrin, thanks for the update.

The rest of us are sincerely happy for you but admittedly a bit envious! ;)

joeinid
12-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Wonderful, Darrin, thanks for the update.

The rest of us are sincerely happy for you but admittedly a bit envious! ;)

+1

:banana:

dpod4
12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
+1

It feels like winning the lottery for sure. Same way I feel about my 2004 VW R32. Soooo fortunate to have purchased one. If anyone is in Portland OR area feel free to drop me a line and I will have you over to listen to my setup. The CJ 350 has me in a state where I am not thinking about "what to upgrade next?" I know one day I will likely add a second VAC 300.1a tube amp, but I'm super super super happy right now. Am grateful to all the CJ loyalists on AA as it tipped me over the top on my hunt for the CJ PR350. First counsel came from Jeff Dorgay offline for which I'm grateful. Darrin

dpod4
12-16-2011, 10:10 PM
By the way, my FAVORITE quality of the CJ Pr350 is what I love about Maggies...

The 350 strips ALL VEILS between me and music...total transparency and presence...but with absolutely NO GLARE, ETCH, SHRILLNESS, SIBILANCE or FORWARDNESS WHATSOEVER. It is like a magic trick...all punch and clarity of best solid state plus all the richness and sweetness of tubes. An amazing hat trick. Sorry to gush again, but man, this amp kicks it.

dpod4
12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Dont' get me wrong, I love the JC-1s, just wish I could've had a listen with PR350 and my 3.7s prior.

Those JC-1s are legend...wait for it...ary. The dealer who sold me my VAC amp recommended the JC-1s as his go-to reference on the solid state side.

turntable
12-18-2011, 12:01 AM
You guys are driving me crazy with you universal drooling over the prem350:D

There is one locally available in Aust but the guy is asking too much.

How much do used one's go for now?

Anyway, can't go into debt as I have a significant change in the system about to happen.

dpod4
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
You guys are driving me crazy with you universal drooling over the prem350:D

There is one locally available in Aust but the guy is asking too much.

How much do used one's go for now?

Anyway, can't go into debt as I have a significant change in the system about to happen.

I think used ones go for 4-5k. Thing to remember tho is this amp today new if CJ built them would cost $15-17k. It easily competes with my $19.5k VAC amp.

dpod4
12-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Listening to Rickie Lee Jones tonight I realize a few hundred hours burn in for the Pr 350 is equivalent to putting butter on toast.

joeinid
12-18-2011, 10:55 PM

joeinid
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Is it a big deal to convert a Premier 350 from 230V to 120V by Conrad Johnson?

turntable
12-27-2011, 06:51 PM

No Joe, easy. You thinking of buying the Aussie one on audiogon?

I am in Sydney and the prem350 is in Perth - 2500 miles away.

joeinid
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
No Joe, easy. You thinking of buying the Aussie one on audiogon?

I am in Sydney and the prem350 is in Perth - 2500 miles away.

:yikes:

Yes!

I sent an email. Hoping for a response. I'd like to see pictures :music: Does the price seem a little high?

Puma Cat
12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
The price is pretty high, new retail was $7500, median price in the Audiogon Blue Book is $4790.

joeinid
12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
The price is pretty high, new retail was $7500, median price in the Audiogon Blue Book is $4790.

I looked it up also and he has $15K new retail. Way off. He should be sending me a picture. I'll see how low he will go. :thumbsup:

turntable
12-27-2011, 07:21 PM
:yikes:

Yes!

I sent an email. Hoping for a response. I'd like to see pictures :music: Does the price seem a little high?

Yes, it is high. The 15k was probably the Aussie retail back when our $ was .56 to the US. It is basically a lie, as all audiogon pricing should be in US retail, and that was never 15k.

I was tempted but too much for me at this time. But its all supply and demand right.

Please note that this is being sold by a dealer in Perth and the prem350 is on consignment fronm one of their customers.

Personally I would wait for one in the US to come up. Freight will be EXPENSIVE to the USA.

joeinid
12-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, it is high. I was tempted but too much for me at this time. But its all supply and demand right.

Please note that this is being sold by a dealer in Perth and the prem350 is on consignment fronm one of their customers.

Personally I would wait for one in the US to come up. Freight will be EXPENSIVE to the USA.

Thanks! Good advice.

Puma Cat
12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes, it is high. The 15k was probably the Aussie retail back when our $ was .56 to the US. It is basically a lie, as all audiogon pricing should be in US retail, and that was never 15k.

I was tempted but too much for me at this time. But its all supply and demand right.

You can say that again.

Not only that, but you then have to pay to ship to C-J and back after the conversion once you do get it in the U.S. That will be a minimum of another $200.

joeinid
12-27-2011, 07:28 PM
You can say that again.

Not only that, but you then have to pay to ship to C-J and back after the conversion once you do get it in the U.S. That will be a minimum of another $200.

If the price was right, I'd just have him ship straight to CJ with a proper RMA.

microstrip
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Not a big deal, but you have to know how to do it. I did the opposite a few years ago. You have two transformers to re-wire - as far as I remember there is a smaller one behind the faceplate that powers the switch-on relays and control system. It was not easy to find!

joeinid
01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Not a big deal, but you have to know how to do it. I did the opposite a few years ago. You have two transformers to re-wire - as far as I remember there is a smaller one behind the faceplate that powers the switch-on relays and control system. It was not easy to find!

Hi,

Thanks. I would just have CJ do it. I think the price is too high, but I am waiting for photos. I'll see if he comes down on price.

jeffreybehre
02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm hoping :scratch2:
...after underpowering my V'steen 5Bs for most of the 2 years I've had them, that the sounds of the McCormack DNA-750s will be really close to those of the 350.

dpod4
02-19-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm hoping :scratch2:
...after underpowering my V'steen 5Bs for most of the 2 years I've had them, that the sounds of the McCormack DNA-750s will be really close to those of the 350.

I heard Steve McCormack does upgrades too to where they go to an even higher level.

CDLehner
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I heard Steve McCormack does upgrades too to where they go to an even higher level.

I have to admit, this kinda makes Steve an audiophile hero in my book...lol. It's kinda like he's saying "look guys...you know the deal; reality is we have to use certain parts, in order to hit a certain price point. And now...C-J has the brand, and there's no way they're going to let it outclass their namesake. But I stand by the design...so if you own something of mine, and want...I'll really unleash it, with parts we couldn't possibly spec and still sell it for what we originally did".

Am I reading too much into that? lol...that's the way I take it. I tell ya...for what they cost you on the used market, I'd take an RLD-1 and DNA-225, and let SMc spruce them up for me in a heartbeat.

dpod4
02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I have to admit, this kinda makes Steve an audiophile hero in my book...lol. It's kinda like he's saying "look guys...you know the deal; reality is we have to use certain parts, in order to hit a certain price point. And now...C-J has the brand, and there's no way they're going to let it outclass their namesake. But I stand by the design...so if you own something of mine, and want...I'll really unleash it, with parts we couldn't possibly spec and still sell it for what we originally did".

Am I reading too much into that? lol...that's the way I take it. I tell ya...for what they cost you on the used market, I'd take an RLD-1 and DNA-225, and let SMc spruce them up for me in a heartbeat.

We are very lucky in the US to have exceptional brands competing for our dollars!

turntable
03-10-2012, 01:48 AM
If someone wants to buy a prem 350' get over to audio asylum before it's gone

conrad-johnson Premier 350SA ... 350 poweramp - Audio Asylum Trader (http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-SS/conrad-johnson/Premier-350SA-...-350/poweramp/58482)

Puma Cat
03-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Cr*p, it's local pickup only in New Hampshire....

Urg.

turntable
03-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Cr*p, it's local pickup only in New Hampshire....

Urg.

Road trip :banana:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I sent an email. Let us see what happens. ;)

turntable
03-10-2012, 03:14 AM
I sent an email. Let us see what happens. ;)

The quick and dead :uzi:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
The quick and dead :uzi:

It's still a 300 mile drive (one way) and who knows if someone else was quicker. :scratch2:

CDLehner
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry; I must be wayyy too cynical...but isn't this scam 101, sort of akin to the exiled King's ransom and such? The widow selling gear (and the popular variation of scorned divorced gal selling gear) is pretty common isn't it?

I know it's a heart-felt story (isn't that the whole point), and I'd feel like rather a sh*t-heel if it's true; but c'mon...blind deposit, ahead of local pick-up...and this well-to-doer at AA has no feedback?

Like I said; guess I'm the cynic of the group? :no:

Rayooo
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry; I must be wayyy too cynical...but isn't this scam 101, sort of akin to the exiled King's ransom and such? The widow selling gear (and the popular variation of scorned divorced gal selling gear) is pretty common isn't it?

I know it's a heart-felt story (isn't that the whole point), and I'd feel like rather a sh*t-heel if it's true; but c'mon...blind deposit, ahead of local pick-up...and this well-to-doer at AA has no feedback?

it does rather make one say "hummmmm"

not a fun road trip, after sending a deposit, then arriving at a vacant lot as the pickup address. :tears:

Joe Appierto
03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
it does rather make one say "hummmmm"

not a fun road trip, after sending a deposit, then arriving at a vacant lot as the pickup address. :tears:

You can always use Google Earth to check out the address ahead of time. :yes:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I'll show you a picture of it next weekend ;)

CDLehner
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I'll show you a picture of it next weekend ;)

What's that mean exactly Joe?

joeinid
03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
What's that mean exactly Joe?

I think it's mine. More to come. I don't think It's a scam.

CDLehner
03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I think it's mine. More to come. I don't think It's a scam.

Great news! I hope I'm wrong; not only does it restore my faith in humanity...but you get a great amp in the process. :D

joeinid
03-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Fingers crossed.

Rafale
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
superJoe :thumbsup:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
superJoe :thumbsup:

I should be back in the CJ camp with a Premier 350. Yes! I'll post a photo when I can.

joeinid
03-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Pr 350

turntable
03-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Yes you are.

Do some simple research. Jeff Behr is a well respected member of audio asylum and has a long history of owning cj gear. He certainly would not mention Ed's name at cj if it was not legit. I for one had no reason to second guess the add and that is why I posted it here so a fellow cj lover could enjoy it.

turntable
03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Pr 350

Is that a photo in your room? :banana:

Great to see a cj lover snapped it up.

joeinid
03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Is that a photo in your room? :banana:

Great to see a cj lover snapped it up.

Hi Shane,

This is the one for sale that I am buying. It's not my room. I should be able to pick it up next week from the seller. :banana: Hasn't been used in 4 years so I will have to make sure all is well before firing it up for the first time.

Joe

joeinid
03-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Great news! I hope I'm wrong; not only does it restore my faith in humanity...but you get a great amp in the process. :D

Chris,

It's real, OMG! it's legit. Come to papa......

Joe

Puma Cat
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi Shane,

This is the one for sale that I am buying. I should be able to pick it up next week from the seller. :banana: Hasn't been used in 4 years so I will have to make sure all is well before firing it up for the first time.

Joe

Excellent. If and when you decide to part with it, give me a shout.

joeinid
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Excellent. If and when you decide to part with it, give me a shout.

Line forms to the right for this piece as well. :D Seriously, God works in mysterious ways my friend. I think I owe Shane a big hug. :hug: :thumbsup: Hopefully next Saturday, I will meet the seller and pick it up. :banana: I can't wait to hear it on the CR-1's (after suitable testing on lesser speakers, of course).

Ritmo
03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Joe,

You are having one heck of a week! Nice pick up.

Mike

CDLehner
03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes you are.

Do some simple research. Jeff Behr is a well respected member of audio asylum and has a long history of owning cj gear. He certainly would not mention Ed's name at cj if it was not legit. I for one had no reason to second guess the add and that is why I posted it here so a fellow cj lover could enjoy it.

I absolutely meant no offense. I don't know Jeff Behr, or Asylum at all...so I was just speaking in general. "Divorce" and "widow"-sales are common scams, on Craigslist and such. You've seen the ads: "don't know what this is...it was my late/ex husband's; it's really heavy and says Krell on it"...lol.

Plus...I've been trading used gear for quite some time...close to 10 years or so; granted, probably not as long as some of you...but I've NEVER seen a deposit ahead of local pick-up. But I'm obviously glad it worked out for Joe...and jealous...and again, didn't mean to disparage anyone personally.

CDLehner
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Chris,

It's real, OMG! it's legit. Come to papa......

Joe

Great Joe; all is right with the world. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought those speakers in the White Van? :scratch2:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Joe,

You are having one heck of a week! Nice pick up.

Mike

Yes I am Mike! Pinch me, I hope I am not dreaming. Maybe I should pick some numbers tonight for the lottery. I AM ON FIRE!!!!

Time to reload :uzi:

Ritmo
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Yes I am Mike! Pinch me, I hope I am not dreaming. Maybe I should pick some numbers tonight for the lottery. I AM ON FIRE!!!!

Time to reload :uzi:

:lmao:

joeinid
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Great Joe; all is right with the world. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought those speakers in the White Van? :scratch2:

Chris,

I almost blew it off myself, but have been rolling the dice lately and all I say is, 7 come 11, baby needs new shoes. Boo Ya!

You are correct in being cautious. I see the aftermath of "bad deals" in my line of work and it's not pretty. So, trust but verify. :yes:

ps Stay away from the white vans, no matter what!

Joe

turntable
03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I absolutely meant no offense. I don't know Jeff Behr, or Asylum at all...so I was just speaking in general. "Divorce" and "widow"-sales are common scams, on Craigslist and such. You've seen the ads: "don't know what this is...it was my late/ex husband's; it's really heavy and says Krell on it"...lol.

Plus...I've been trading used gear for quite some time...close to 10 years or so; granted, probably not as long as some of you...but I've NEVER seen a deposit ahead of local pick-up. But I'm obviously glad it worked out for Joe...and jealous...and again, didn't mean to disparage anyone personally.

That is kool. no problems at all. I would not have posted it here if I had any doubts in my mind.

Anyway, all good for Joe :thumbsup:

Cheers

joeinid
03-11-2012, 03:23 AM
one more :drool:

CDLehner
03-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Is she also selling that Bryston? :scratch2:

joeinid
03-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Is she also selling that Bryston? :scratch2:

I'll have to ask. I don't think so.

cmalak
03-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Joe...great pick up. I will also be in line if you decide not to keep it. It may make sense to have it sent to CJ to have it checked out if it has not been used in 4 years. Enjoy it :thumbsup:

cmalak
03-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Looks like there is Nordost Valhalla ICs and SCs there too. That could be a nice pick up too Joe if you are looking for some premium cables at a good price.

joeinid
03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Joe...great pick up. I will also be in line if you decide not to keep it. It may make sense to have it sent to CJ to have it checked out if it has not been used in 4 years. Enjoy it :thumbsup:

Thanks Cyril,

I could not say no to this amp. I'll call Ed at CJ after I pick it up and see what's best for it.

joeinid
03-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I think she has Wisdom speakers, Oh my. :)

cmalak
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Cyril,

I could not say no to this amp. I'll call Ed at CJ after I pick it up and see what's best for it.

Joe...you are going to have a bidding war on this piece when you decide to sell it. You may actually make some money on this transaction :D

joeinid
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I'll have to set up a 900 number to accept bids ;)

'cisco
03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice looking amp Joe......:drool: Forget the 900 number....just sell it to me under the table....I won't tell anybody. :D I promise :D

Can anyone explain why CJ doesn't produce SS amps or integrateds anymore? I would definitely put them on my list if they did.

Hope to see some more pics when you get it Joe. :yes:

CDLehner
03-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Nice looking amp Joe......:drool: Forget the 900 number....just sell it to me under the table....I won't tell anybody. :D I promise :D

Can anyone explain why CJ doesn't produce SS amps or integrateds anymore? I would definitely put them on my list if they did.

Good question. I guess they leave good SS to the sister-badge, McCormack.

joeinid
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks Cisco. I'll post photos. We will talk. I assume nobody took their SS amps seriously until they were gone. CJ is known for tube gear and people only focus on that aspect of their business.

microstrip
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Some time ago I read in another forum that cj stopped producing the Premier 350 because they were not making money on it, as manufacturing costs were too high and they would have to raise the price to keep it in production to a point it would not be a good value compared to their tube amplifiers.

Joe, when you get you amplifier check is all the fuses ( B+, B- ) are the correct ones of proper type, and if the RCA connectors are firm. It was one the problems of this amplifier - it the internal nut became loose, the plug would could start rotating and break the ground wire - something that could damage the amplifier, as the body of the connector is insulated from the chassis. Also always disconnect the power cables from the mains when exchanging the input cables or preamplifier. The ON-OFF switch has a poor de-bouncing system, and sometimes switches on again if you do not push it firmly in a decided way to switch off

Other that this the amplifier is very reliable - but avoid shorts in the output. The only protection are the fuses and sometimes a transistor breaks faster than the the fuse. On my 350 I always insert some plastic spacer between the binding posts, as they are very close.

microstrip
03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
(...) I assume nobody took their SS amps seriously until they were gone. CJ is known for tube gear and people only focus on that aspect of their business.

Not true, :nono: at less in Europe. Here the Premier 350 received great reviews and critics when it was launched!

'cisco
03-11-2012, 03:58 PM
CD, microstrip....thanks for the CJ explanation,much appreciated. :thumbsup:

joeinid
03-11-2012, 04:26 PM
microstrip,

Thank you very much. I appreciate the explanation. I think the amp may have been repaired once when the woman's husband was alive. I want to make sure it's 100% before I start using it.

turntable
03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks like there is Nordost Valhalla ICs and SCs there too. That could be a nice pick up too Joe if you are looking for some premium cables at a good price.

Joe, I will take the valhalla cables :-). I am serious, especially if she has a 6 m ic or speaker cables

joeinid
03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Joe, I will take the valhalla cables :-). I am serious, especially if she has a 6 m ic or speaker cables

Unfortunately, I don't think she is selling anything else. I will be a gentleman and ask nicely :thumbsup:.

CDLehner
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think she is selling anything else. I will be a gentleman and ask nicely :thumbsup:.

The gentle-lady widow needs Bryston, but not C-J?? Maybe it's just too warm for her taste...rofl (sorry, couldn't resist :D).

joeinid
03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
The gentle-lady widow needs Bryston, but not C-J?? Maybe it's just too warm for her taste...rofl (sorry, couldn't resist :D).

I think she's using Wisdom speakers which do not play well on the CJ.

turntable
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

I am sure you can talk her around, after all valhalla are bright and lean :D

You will be doing her a favor :nono:

You should get her to join AA :yes::no:

joeinid
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
T minus 5 days and counting..... (I think that's how it goes)

cmalak
03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I am sure you can talk her around, after all valhalla are bright and lean :D

You will be doing her a favor :nono:

You should get her to join AA :yes::no:

They are awful Shane aren't they? :laughin:

joeinid
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
They are awful Shane aren't they? :laughin:

Terrible I know, I'll do her a favor. :)

Rayooo
03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
T minus 5 days and counting..... (I think that's how it goes)

getting closer! :D

joeinid
03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
getting closer! :D

:yes:

:D

dpod4
03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

:yes:

:D

U my CJ friend are in for a treat. I marvel at my CJ 350. I need to send Jeff Dorgay a thank u card for talking me into one.

joeinid
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
U my CJ friend are in for a treat. I marvel at my CJ 350. I need to send Jeff Dorgay a thank u card for talking me into one.

Thanks Darrin :thumbsup:

I need to call Ed and make sure there will be no problems firing it up for the first time in 4-5 years as well as checking connections and giving it the once over. This will be fun, I sure :yes:

I think she has had only one other email besides myself. I think everyone thought it was a scam.

dpod4
03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Darrin :thumbsup:

I need to call Ed and make sure there will be no problems firing it up for the first time in 4-5 years as well as checking connections and giving it the once over. This will be fun, I sure :yes:

I think she has had only one other email besides myself. I think everyone thought it was a scam.

I wondered too but when u mentioned the intermediary had talked to Ed then I knew it wasn't a scam.

joeinid
03-15-2012, 11:14 PM
How could I say no?

Impossible. ;)

joeinid
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
The eagle has landed and I just hoisted the Premier 350 out of the trunk. Holy cr@p, it is heavy. Now I really don't miss the CA200 :) Time for some preliminary going over and the big hook up on cheap speakers - just in case ;)

Rayooo
03-17-2012, 04:35 PM
The eagle has landed and I just hoisted the Premier 350 out of the trunk. Holy cr@p, it is heavy. Now I really don't miss the CA200 :) Time for some preliminary going over and the big hook up on cheap speakers - just in case ;)

thanks for the update! I've been anxiously awaiting to hear how your road trip went. so far so good it sounds like.:yes:

cmalak
03-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Looking forward to hear all about it Joe :thumbsup:

joeinid
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Rayoo,

A couple of photos. REALLY needs break in. I'm using the cheap Pioneer speakers to run it in before I use the CR-1's. :banana:

What a score.

Rayooo
03-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks Rayoo,

A couple of photos. REALLY needs break in. I'm using the cheap Pioneer speakers to run it in before I use the CR-1's. :banana:

What a score.

fantastic condition! heck, from the front it looks brand-new :applause:

joeinid
03-17-2012, 05:01 PM
fantastic condition! heck, from the front it looks brand-new :applause:

Yes, indeed. A little elbow grease on the top and sides and it will look even better. The front is spectacular. Sounds crappy out of the box, mainly because it saw no use since 2008. Patience grasshopper.

joeinid
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Looking forward to hear all about it Joe :thumbsup:

Cyril,

I think it will be wonderful. So far so good, somewhat congested and restrained but that's to be expected.

jwhite613
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Congratulations Joe!!! Keep us updated.

'cisco
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Looks beautiful Joe..... Congrats :thumbsup: :drool:

Is that a 20A iec connector back there?

cmalak
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Cyril,

I think it will be wonderful. So far so good, somewhat congested and restrained but that's to be expected.

Joe...I would run a signal through it continuouslly for the next 48-72 hours and I would think it should start opening up and relaxing into its sound.

joeinid
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Congratulations Joe!!! Keep us updated.

Oh I will. I'm getting that GLORIOUS midrange and treble. Vocals to die for :drool:

I would buy a new re-issue Conrad Johnson Premier 350 with all premium parts in a heartbeat. This thing is amazing.

Looks beautiful Joe..... Congrats :thumbsup: :drool:

Is that a 20A iec connector back there?

Yes it is, had me worried for a second but she had the AC cord, box and manual. :banana:

I'll let it cook on the Pioneer speakers before I hook it up to the CR-1's. She is already getting better and starting to open up.

joeinid
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Joe...I would run a signal through it continuouslly for the next 48-72 hours and I would think it should start opening up and relaxing into its sound.

Cyril,

I don't think that will be too difficult :no: :D

Please peel me off the ceiling and strap me down once again :banana: I can't take this. I think i'm in Heaven.

Rafale
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Joe....glorious amp :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
big congrats

joeinid
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Joe....glorious amp :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
big congrats

Philippe,

Thank you. It is one heck of an amp. Belongs in the Hall of Fame :music:

Joe Appierto
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Congratulations and best of luck with it, Joe. She looks like a beauty!

joeinid
03-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Congratulations and best of luck with it, Joe. She looks like a beauty!

Thanks Joe!

I really appreciate it.

Rafale
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Do we know how many 350 were produced by CJ?

Ritmo
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Rayoo,

What a score.

Joe,

Looks very nice and classy. I bet it even sounds better! :thumbsup:

I hope it meets your expectations. Keep us posted.

Mike

joeinid
03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Joe,

Looks very nice and classy. I bet it even sounds better! :thumbsup:

I hope it meets your expectations. Keep us posted.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. It's really sounding quite amazing. I can't believe how lucky I got finding this, thanks to Shane for posting the initial contact info and with a little luck, I was the first to respond and leave my contact info. I can't believe I was able to get one.

jwhite613
03-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Joe... You have quite the stable of very fine amps!

joeinid
03-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Joe... You have quite the stable of very fine amps!

Jeff,

I am so confused at this point. I seriously do not know what to do. I will probably hook the CJ 350 up to the TADs tomorrow night after I get some time on the amp just to make sure all is well. That should be an amazing combo. Then it will be time to do some soul searching and see what stays and what goes. It's too bad the Premier 350's are no longer available. Everybody should get to experience one. :music: I can only imagine the GAT with the Pr 350. Oh my, nirvana.

dpod4
03-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Congrats Joe!! Way to go!!!!!

turntable
03-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. It's really sounding quite amazing. I can't believe how lucky I got finding this, thanks to Shane for posting the initial contact info and with a little luck, I was the first to respond and leave my contact info. I can't believe I was able to get one.

My pleasure Joe

Sounds like you are enjoying it:D

joeinid
03-17-2012, 11:12 PM

:banana: Thanks Darrin!

My pleasure Joe

Sounds like you are enjoying it:D

Shane,

I am enjoying it very much. When I first fired it up, it sounded like a wet blanket was on top of the speakers. I knew from the CA200 what to expect, so I was not worried and also knew it sat unused for 4 years, so I just started swapping cd's. Now, OMG! This is a fantastic amp, absolutely incredible and I know it's only going to get better.

Puma Cat
03-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Joe,
That's great you're enjoying the Premier 350; just think what it would sound like with a turntable and a great LP! ;)

joeinid
03-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Joe,
That's great you're enjoying the Premier 350; just think what it would sound like with a turntable and a great LP! ;)

:scratch2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

oldjayz
03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
:scratch2: Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0)

Joe,
Congrats on the Premier 350. I know you said it had been sitting for a few years. Do you know actually how they used it before it was "turned off" The reason I say this it may be that the caps are not fully broken in yet. It can take at least 100 hours or more to really open up. Some say between 300 and 500 is when you will start to really hear the magic. If it has been sitting I would say at least 50 hours before the caps are "happy" again.

Enjoy from another 350 owner :music:

Jeff

Rayooo
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Jeff,

I am so confused at this point. I seriously do not know what to do. I will probably hook the CJ 350 up to the TADs tomorrow night after I get some time on the amp just to make sure all is well. That should be an amazing combo. Then it will be time to do some soul searching and see what stays and what goes. It's too bad the Premier 350's are no longer available. Everybody should get to experience one. :music: I can only imagine the GAT with the Pr 350. Oh my, nirvana.

...and I'm patiently awaiting your in depth report of GAT + PR350 later this year..... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

dpod4
03-19-2012, 02:06 AM
...and I'm patiently awaiting your in depth report of GAT + PR350 later this year..... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

GAT + Pr 350 = Awesomeness

Ritmo
03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Joe,

Is it the system sounding? Still happy with the Premier?

Mike

Briz Vegaas
03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I would like to know about CA200 with a pre vs the 350. It would be an interesting comparison given their similarities.

lotus340r
03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi guys, im new here and watching this thread with interest.

Next week i pick up an ACT 2 mk2 and also a premier 350.

I am totally new to CJ and also i've not owned equipment of this level before so am really excited. My last amps in 2011 were Dynavector L300mkii/HX1.2 which were very very good, especially for the price but I am hoping for something a little more from teh CJ combo.

I'm building up the rest of the system from scratch as well so it should be interesting.

jwhite613
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM
lotus340r... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

chessman
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
lotus340r, welcome aboard! :wave:

I have a feeling the new gear is going to wow you. Congrats!! :)

ronenash
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi guys, im new here and watching this thread with interest.

Next week i pick up an ACT 2 mk2 and also a premier 350.

I am totally new to CJ and also i've not owned equipment of this level before so am really excited. My last amps in 2011 were Dynavector L300mkii/HX1.2 which were very very good, especially for the price but I am hoping for something a little more from teh CJ combo.

I'm building up the rest of the system from scratch as well so it should be interesting.

That's one fine way of entering the CJ world. I am sure you will be nocked out by this combo. :yes:

lotus340r
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I also have a Tron seven phono stage turning up. Turntable will most likely be a Raven AC or Raven 1 with 10.5 arm.

Not certain on the digital source yet. A few things are being explored.

dpod4
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys.

I also have a Tron seven phono stage turning up. Turntable will most likely be a Raven AC or Raven 1 with 10.5 arm.

Not certain on the digital source yet. A few things are being explored.

Modwright 5400 is worth checking out. Punches way above its class.

lotus340r
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks dpod ? is that CD/SACD replay ?

I am looking for a DAC or streamer. It has to beat a Linn Klimax DS as that's the best i've heard so far.

dpod4
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks dpod ? is that CD/SACD replay ?

I am looking for a DAC or streamer. It has to beat a Linn Klimax DS as that's the best i've heard so far.

Yes it is cd and sacd. Modwright was also coming out with inputs via a mod to turn it into DAC

I am using the ps audio perfect wave DAC mkii with USB hard drive wirelessly streaming into PerfectWave. Couldn't be happier. I heard the Linn. Very nice piece for sure.

joeinid
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Darrin,

Now I truly understand what you have been experiencing. This is one amazing amp. Explosive dynamics, bottomless bass and that glorious midrange and layering that made CJ famous.

Joe,

How's the system sounding? Still happy with the Premier?

Mike

Mike,

I have been glued to my CR-1's and the Pr. 350SA. Disc after disc, song after song from the many music streams and I am LOVING every minute! There are no better speakers, except maybe the TAD Ref. 1 big brother, but the CR-1's are PERFECT for my room. I really don't need the subs. My kingdom for a GAT :banana:

Joe

dpod4
03-24-2012, 05:44 PM
"Explosive dynamics, bottomless bass and that glorious midrange and layering that made CJ famous."

Joe, that is the most perfect description of the Pr350 I have heard. By the way, I picked up an Audience Au24e powerchord and thru the Audience Power conditioner, it opens up the dynamics even more, and takes a veil or two away from the upper registers. I put in HiFi Tuning fuses in the PR350 and that also added more air and clarity. The Pr350 keeps getting better and better!

lotus340r
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Guys, what interconnect for the pre and 350 do you recommend ? Something musical (not so worried about the hifi sonic checklist IYSWIM) but not too expensive. Maybe £200 ($350) or so secondhand. Thanks, Rich.

joeinid
03-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks Darrin,

I've had time to focus on the music ;) It is wonderful. My Pr 350 was in hibernation for 4+ years so I think she needs some break in and time to wake up a little. I sense a slight forward treble but I am not using it under ideal conditions. Even with all that said. This is a keeper, no doubt.

Joe

joeinid
03-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi Rich,

Welcome!

:welcome2.::pg2:

Ritmo
03-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Mike,

I have been glued to my CR-1's and the Pr. 350SA. Disc after disc, song after song from the many music streams and I am LOVING every minute! There are no better speakers, except maybe the TAD Ref. 1 big brother, but the CR-1's are PERFECT for my room. I really don't need the subs. My kingdom for a GAT :banana:

Joe

Joe,

Sounds heavenly! :speaker:

Mike

joeinid
03-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Joe,

Sounds heavenly! :speaker:

Mike

Thanks Mike!

It does indeed.

dpod4
03-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Guys, what interconnect for the pre and 350 do you recommend ? Something musical (not so worried about the hifi sonic checklist IYSWIM) but not too expensive. Maybe £200 ($350) or so secondhand. Thanks, Rich.

I have found three cables that work pretty well, one of them awesome.
1. Cardas Golden Reference
2. Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 (especially good if anything in your system is on the bright side and you want to smooth things out)
3. Audience Au24 "e" interconnect is amazing with it...opens up the soundstage and micro detail

dpod4
03-25-2012, 12:24 AM
By the way, I continue to be amazed at the understated excellence that CJ builds into their components. Mssrs Conrad and Johnson sure do know how to put all their efforts/time/money into making sure the final product is musical and big big big bang for the buck. It amazes how the Pr350 does so many things superbly that many more expensive amps miss. I think they have nailed the simplicity equation...fewer things in the signal path. Best parts and design possible.

joeinid
03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
By the way, I continue to be amazed at the understated excellence that CJ builds into their components. Mssrs Conrad and Johnson sure do know how to put all their efforts/time/money into making sure the final product is musical and big big big bang for the buck. It amazes how the Pr350 does so many things superbly that many more expensive amps miss. I think they have nailed the simplicity equation...fewer things in the signal path. Best parts and design possible.

+1

Well said ! I agree. The Pr 350 is a great amp.

Puma Cat
03-25-2012, 02:54 PM
+1

Well said ! I agree. The Pr 350 is a great amp.

So, you've got some great amps in house now, the Dart and the Pr350. How do they stack up or is it more a matter of personal preferences (Glenfiddich vs. Glenmorangie kind of thing?)

joeinid
03-25-2012, 03:05 PM
So, you've got some great amps in house now, the Dart and the Pr350. How do they stack up or is it more a matter of personal preferences (Glenfiddich vs. Glenmorangie kind of thing?)

Hi Stephen,

I have to say they are both excellent but I think I need a better matching preamp for both of them. I'm trying to workout how I can get a GAT to try with them. My 077 is superb with anything Burmester and nice with the Dartzeel, maybe not as good with CJ 350. I think the GAT would be superb with the 350 and probably as good with the Dart. They could both be good on the right music. The 350 is an amazing piece but I'm not getting the true flavor because of the preamp, I feel.

Rafale
03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Prem 350 absolutely has to be reborn :yes:

joeinid
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Prem 350 absolutely has to be reborn :yes:

Yes, I totally agree. I would jump on one in a heartbeat.

ronenash
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Stephen,

I have to say they are both excellent but I think I need a better matching preamp for both of them. I'm trying to workout how I can get a GAT to try with them. My 077 is superb with anything Burmester and nice with the Dartzeel, maybe not as good with CJ 350. I think the GAT would be superb with the 350 and probably as good with the Dart. They could both be good on the right music. The 350 is an amazing piece but I'm not getting the true flavor because of the preamp, I feel.

How about the ET5? I have heard both the GAT and ET5 (not in my system unfortunately) and at least to these ears the differences are minimal.

joeinid
03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
How about the ET5? I have heard both the GAT and ET5 (not in my system unfortunately) and at least to these ears the differences are minimal.

Hi ronenash,

I had the ET5 and wished I had it now. I never expected to come up with the CJ Pr. 350 and sold the ET5 specifically to get the GAT. Other gear showed up in the meantime :yes: and I have not replaced the CJ preamp yet. I'd feel funny buying an ET5 again so I'd have to go for the GAT :thumbsup: I could save some money and get the ET5 again. I did like the ET5 when I had it.

joeinid
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Update:

I was experimenting last night and decided to replace my Aural Harmony solid silver jumpers on the CR-1's to another pair I had on hand. Bluejean Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP with bananas. Well, the slight brightness I was hearing went away with the Belden jumpers and so did the big, wide and deep soundstage. I guess I'm not going crazy. It's not that bad (soundstage wise) but still noticeable. The silver jumpers seem to be a little brighter with the CJ 350 than the Dart 108 for some reason.

Puma Cat
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Silver cables can be known to be a on the bright side. Maybe Wireworld makes a nice pair of copper jumpers you could use?

Puma Cat
03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi ronenash,

I had the ET5 and wished I had it now. I never expected to come up with the CJ Pr. 350 and sold the ET5 specifically to get the GAT. Other gear showed up in the meantime :yes: and I have not replaced the CJ preamp yet. I'd feel funny buying an ET5 again so I'd have to go for the GAT :thumbsup: I could save some money and get the ET5 again. I did like the ET5 when I had it.

You wouldn't be the first guy in history to have sold a piece of gear only to realize you need it after all. VTSkier auditioned the ET5 and GAT, and also felt that the differences between the two were minimal. Perhaps an ET5 is the way to go. It would save you a lot of money and you could think about a TT to really hear what the Pr350 and TADs could do! ;)

joeinid
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Stephen,

That's what I always like about you. Very practical. :) I'll have to think about my next move. Just when I think I'm done, I get pulled back in. I still want a better cd player/DAC, better cables/ac cords and power conditioner for now ;)

turntable
03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi ronenash,

Joe, You know you want the GAT. If you go back to the CT5, you will always be wondering, regardless of the sonic differences.

I am never very practical :D

If you can stretch it, go for it. :thumbsup:

joeinid
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Joe, You know you want the GAT. If you go back to the CT5, you will always be wondering, regardless of the sonic differences.

I am never very practical :D

If you can stretch it, go for it. :thumbsup:

Hi Shane,

That's the plan. I am just not sure when is the question. :scratch2: The Pr 350 is an outstanding amp, especially for the money.

Puma Cat
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Stephen,

That's what I always like about you. Very practical. :) I'll have to think about my next move. Just when I think I'm done, I get pulled back in. I still want a better cd player/DAC, better cables/ac cords and power conditioner for now ;)

Understood. Think of it as a process. As the preamp is the heart of the system, I would give that priority over cables, AC cords and distributors. Those bits can be added piecemeal over time to get add layers of benefits as your budget allows.

bgiliberti
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Understood. ... the preamp is the heart of the system...Interesting comment. I would have said power amp. The power amp seems to affect the sound more to me. Of course, I don't have vinyl sources.

microstrip
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Understood. Think of it as a process. As the preamp is the heart of the system, I would give that priority over cables, AC cords and distributors. Those bits can be added piecemeal over time to get add layers of benefits as your budget allows.

I fully agree with you. The preamplifier should be the heart of the system. When I had to part with the ART II preamplifier, because it was too noisy when used with the cj premier 350 and my speakers, it broke my heart. :no: Only the ACT2 series 2 was able to partially repair it, unhappily I never managed to listen to a GAT.

Much later an used ART III showed in the used market - happily (for budgetary reasons, surely ... ) it was sold before my heart could take over my brain!

dpod4
03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I was surprised what a big difference to sonic footprint the preamp makes. In my system a VAC tube preamp is more different from a CJ tube preamp than is a VAC tube amp versus a CJ350 in my system.

bgiliberti
03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I was surprised what a big difference to sonic footprint the preamp makes. In my system a VAC tube preamp is more different from a CJ tube preamp than is a VAC tube amp versus a CJ350 in my system.But, you are using a phono preamp, correct? Would you think it would make as much difference with a line stage only system?

dpod4
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
But, you are using a phono preamp, correct? Would you think it would make as much difference with a line stage only system?

This with cd player outputs with same cable one into CJ preamp and other to VAC preamp, switching back and forth amp connection to each pre. No phono preamp in the comparison.

bgiliberti
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
This with cd player outputs with same cable one into CJ preamp and other to VAC preamp, switching back and forth amp connection to each pre. No phono preamp in the comparison.Very interesting...I'll bet that CJ350 sounds mighty sweet with either preamp :music: I would love one of those babies someday.

dpod4
03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Very interesting...I'll bet that CJ350 sounds mighty sweet with either preamp :music: I would love one of those babies someday.

The CJ 350 amazes me. Hard to imagine a better amp for less than $25,000 with that type of musical power (600 watts into 4 ohms in one chassis). It sounds really good/best with tube preamp. It will help float the sound almost like a tube amp but with much better punch.

chessman
03-27-2012, 06:03 PM
The CJ 350 amazes me. Hard to imagine a better amp for less than $25,000 with that type of musical power (600 watts into 4 ohms in one chassis). It sounds really good/best with tube preamp. It will help float the sound almost like a tube amp but with much better punch.

Psst, BAT VK-600 SE. ;)

dpod4
03-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Psst, BAT VK-600 SE. ;)

That's sounds line a winner too - a click to the warm side, true dual mono and plenty of power into 4 ohms.

joeinid
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
That's sounds line a winner too - a click to the warm side, true dual mono and plenty of power into 4 ohms.

I like the warm side :yes:

bgiliberti
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I like the warm side :yes:My back is not too crazy about the "heavy side," though. 110lbs? Good lord. Makes CJ seem like an Ipod.

dpod4
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
My back is not too crazy about the "heavy side," though. 110lbs? Good lord. Makes CJ seem like an Ipod.

I have a 115 lb VAC amp and I can barely lift it 5 inches off the floor.

slowGEEZR
03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Darrin, if you don't mind, would you contrast the sound qualities of your VAC 300.1a to the CJ Premier 350? Thanks.

dpod4
03-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Darrin, if you don't mind, would you contrast the sound qualities of your VAC 300.1a to the CJ Premier 350? Thanks.

VAC 300.1a is clean and pure with absolute harmonic integrity (a guitar sounds like a guitar, a piano like a piano); and soundstage is wide with great floating of images. The CJ 350 is less "airy" with a little more hi-fi to the sound, but there is better dynamics including micro and macro dynamics. The soundstage is not as wide but has more depth/layering front to back. The 350 has more growl and grunt on the low end but doesn't have as much transparency and accuracy and sparkle on top end as VAC. My Maggies require current and watts so the 150 wpc of the VAC come up short compared to stable 600 wpc into 4 ohms the CJ delivers. There is something about the VAC preamp and amp that suspends disbelief unlike any amp or preamp I have heard. There is something comfortable powerful and nonfatiguing about the CJ 350 I haven't experienced with an amp before.

joeinid
03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Very nice synopsis Darrin :)

Thanks!

dpod4
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Very nice synopsis Darrin :)

Thanks!

Thanks Joe. I believe 2 VAC amps would beat the the CJ 350 but that is 40k worth of VAC amps!

dpod4
03-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks Joe. I believe 2 VAC amps would beat the the CJ 350 but that is 40k worth of VAC amps!

And I cant rave enough about the VAC preamps. Magic.

joeinid
03-28-2012, 01:18 AM
And I cant rave enough about the VAC preamps. Magic.

When I was younger, I had a favorite dealer (gone now, unfortunately) that would let me "play" with all their gear. They had many great lines and one was VAC. I remember it well. This was a long time ago but it still left an impression on me. So I agree there is magic in those little bottles :music:

slowGEEZR
03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Darrin! I'm trying to decide what preamp/power amp combo to power my WP8's. I can't get all the various amps/preamps combos in my listening room, due to a lack of dealers in my area. I keep changing my mind on what preamp/amp combo to purchase! I want the pre and pwr amp to be from the same manufacturer. I waffle between Audio Research, conrad-johnson, VAC, and Lamm so much it sometimes feels like my head is going to spin. I want to keep the price below $20K, so used/demo is ok for me. Here are (some of) the combos I've been thinking about:

Audio Research – Ref 5/Ref 150. I wonder if 150 wpc is enough, but I've read that the new Ref 150 really takes hold of the speaker. I would only have to buy the Ref 5 used, the Ref 150 new. I can get from my dealer for an in-home loan, but only if I'm "serious".

The other choices would require each piece be used, in order to stay under $20K. Also, no way to get an in-home review.

Conrad-johnson – ET5/LP275M (or 140 or 125) Great looks and great sound. Downs: Older amp.

VAC – Renaissance Mk.3/Phi.3001a Hard to find a Renaissance Mk.3 used.

Lamm – Various combos appeal to me, but would have to buy older to keep under $20K.

It's too bad that EAR doesn't make a more powerful amp because I really like their preamp.
Luckily, I'm not in a great hurry and hopefully, I'll get a chance to listen to each.

dpod4
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Hello. Just sent you an email. My experience with ARC is it is lean and treble centered, so with detailed Wilsons, for my ears, that would be too much. From what I've heard about the LAMMs those would be a good counter-balance to Wilsons. Warmth plus detail. Too much CJ may be too laid back; I'm not sure of your listening preferences. I can say without reservation, the VAC Renaissance Mk III preamp is utterly amazing. Without equal. Magic. Holographic. I have heard Shindo, ARC, MBL, ad nasium, and the VAC is, by a wide margin, the best I have heard...regardless of amp being driven, brand...SS...tube.
Darrin

slowGEEZR
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks Darrin. PM sent.

lotus340r
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi all, does anyone have the 350 manual/instructions ? Is there a copy online at all ?

regards

Rich

Coppy
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi all, does anyone have the 350 manual/instructions ? Is there a copy online at all ?

regards

Rich

Rich,

Call Ed at c-j... he should be able to send you one. Like most c-j manuals, it is plain and a bit sparse.

Bob

lotus340r
03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
thanks very much, will do

my CJ kit is all here now :)

It's all a bit of a mess and just plonked on some temporary stands whilst i work out what racks to get.. the proper sources aren't here yet either, making do with a Rega Isis.

It all sounds very very promising. Quite shocked at how much drive the thing has, it's definitely not laid back ! Very very involving and it hooks you in bigtime. The grip and coherence/timing is stunning.

http://www.lotus340r.net/TMP/_MG_7607b.jpg

joeinid
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Very Nice lotus340r (http://www.audioaficionado.org/members/lotus340r.html),

I remember the Shahinian Obelisk Mk. 1's. Great little speaker. Great for classical music. Thanks for posting the photo. If you can't get a copy of the manual, I'll photocopy mine and send it to you.

Puma Cat
03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
thanks very much, will do

my CJ kit is all here now :)

It's all a bit of a mess and just plonked on some temporary stands whilst i work out what racks to get.. the proper sources aren't here yet either, making do with a Rega Isis.

It all sounds very very promising. Quite shocked at how much drive the thing has, it's definitely not laid back ! Very very involving and it hooks you in bigtime. The grip and coherence/timing is stunning.

http://www.lotus340r.net/TMP/_MG_7607b.jpg

Verrry nice, Rich.

You must be British from your posts....."kit", "plonked", "whilst"...:D

Hope you get it all "sussed" soon! ;)

joeinid
03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
lotus340r,

Richard, very nice photo skills my friend. JSR - Photographers (http://www.jamiestephen.com/photographers/richard-morris/)

Thanks for sharing!

dpod4
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Beautiful set up. I'm also happy to send jpg of each of the pages of the manual if you want, or don't get what you need from Ed, although that dude is a CHAMP.

Rafale
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Beautiful set-up, congrats:thumbsup:
Linn speaker Kable ?

lotus340r
03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the nethusiasm guys. Ha ha puma, yes english through and through.

Yes, its all a bit of a mad confusion here. The linn cable is all I have ! It must be 20 years odl or more. Some mogami is arriving next week. I have a cardas cross on its way for the pre to power and on sunday a Linn KDS/1 arrives which will have its own Linn silver interconnect. I'll have to work on the mains leads then and get a decent block although i'm considering something like the Burmester 948 as well. Turntable to be sorted soon as well, Raven AC in all likleyhood and I hopefully have a local carpenter making me a bespoke rack.

Joe, the obelisk are a beautiful sound, very non-hifi. These are the 1's though and I had the 2's last year and stupidly sold them. Truth be told the Mark 2's are worlds better.

CJ is totally new to me. Its all very exciting !

joeinid
03-30-2012, 07:46 PM
The Burmester 948 should help. I need some help in the AC dept. myself. You've done well as CJ gear is awesome. The Premier 350 is a special amp.

You have great taste!

Masterlu
03-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I just ordered a 2nd 948, but I'll put that in the correct thread. ;)

Looking Very Nice! :ok:

joeinid
03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I just ordered a 2nd 948, but I'll put that in the correct thread. ;)

Looking Very Nice! :ok:

That is one h*ll of a system Ivan! It should be be sweeeeeet :drool:

bgiliberti
03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Rich,

Call Ed at c-j... he should be able to send you one. Like most c-j manuals, it is plain and a bit sparse.

BobAn understatement for sure.

lotus340r
04-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Guys, just wondering what people find works best supporting CJ gear ?

Granite, slate ? I realise that something bespoke like SRA no doubt gives excellent results but these ar expensive and hard to come by in the uk.

i am using some temporary stands at the moment which seem to isolate the amps from the floor pretty well but when i put my hand on the boxes there is no shortage of vibration. Something tells me i should get the kit as far away from the speakers as possible.

Puma Cat
04-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Rich,
For vibration isolation, I am using alight plywood board for my C-J preamp(s) resting on Herbie's Audio Labs IsoCups and Lampblack balls (middle shelf, right)

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/EAR324P-1.jpg

My LP70S rests on Herbie's Extra Firm Tenderfeet for vibration isolation, which you can't see in this photo. Both are in a Sanus Euro II rack.

I would stay away from granite or slate; my understanding of what works best is a very light but stiff board or platform, like the plinth in a Rega TT, for example. My Rega P5 and E.A.R. 324P phono stage also shown are resting on a bicycle inner tube inflated to about 10 psi. This works very well for vibration isolation, BTW.

Briz Vegaas
04-08-2012, 02:48 AM
I use Nordost sort cones (AC & TC) It's circuit resonance control rather than vibration control so the feet couple with the chassis. My CT5 also sits on a concrete paver, I have a few different pavers and found a smaller more dense paver sounded best ( but looks worst of course).

Some CJ amps have built in solutions with transit screws I believe. I think the 17 is one of them.

Puma Cat
04-08-2012, 03:03 AM
I use Nordost sort cones (AC & TC) It's circuit resonance control rather than vibration control so the feet couple with the chassis. My CT5 also sits on a concrete paver, I have a few different pavers and found a smaller more dense paver sounded best ( but looks worst of course).

Some CJ amps have built in solutions with transit screws I believe. I think the 17 is one of them.

Briz,
Have you had any issues with the metal (or whatever it is..) tops of the Sort Kones garfing up the bottom of gear? I'm concerned the material is pretty hard and would garf up the finish of the bottom of the component.

rthomeint
04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
The red base under my Premier 11 is a home made base made with 1 inch particle board on the top and bottom with 1 X 2 pine for the sides. The whole thing is filled with sand. I made two these for a pair of Golden Tube Audio SE 40 amp I had briefly. I use the other one under my MV-52 that I use for a center channel amp. These bases weigh almost as much as the amps. On top of the Premier 11 I have a VPI brick which is basically 5 pounds of iron wrapped in a wooden case. Under Mac Mini and the HD3 I have a 3/4 inch piece of particle board painted black and the cones under the equipment are Black Diamond Racing type 4 cones. With a 2 pound weight on top of the Mac Mini for dampening.

Rob

CDLehner
04-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Rich,
For vibration isolation, I am using alight plywood board for my C-J preamp(s) resting on Herbie's Audio Labs IsoCups and Lampblack balls (middle shelf, right)

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/EAR324P-1.jpg

My LP70S rests on Herbie's Extra Firm Tenderfeet for vibration isolation, which you can't see in this photo. Both are in a Sanus Euro II rack.

I would stay away from granite or slate; my understanding of what works best is a very light but stiff board or platform, like the plinth in a Rega TT, for example. My Rega P5 and E.A.R. 324P phono stage also shown are resting on a bicycle inner tube inflated to about 10 psi. This works very well for vibration isolation, BTW.

Stephen, I've been looking to set-up some isolation control myself...and I very much like your IsoCups/Lampblack solution (so don't be surprised if I steal it :yes:). I was going to look into Boos Block though...and that seems to go against your idea of "light but stiff". Yet you use it for your TT. Can you explain the choices?

Puma Cat
04-08-2012, 12:00 PM
CD,
The maple board setup works for the Michell because it's a suspended rather than rigid table like the Rega, so it's got vibration isolation "built-in" as it were. While maple isn't light per se, it's great for reducing resonances.

You can steal the Isocup/lampblack ball idea with pride; it's Steve Herbelin's design. Just don't put the balls directly under a component; they are very hard and can garf up the finish on the bottom.

'cisco
04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Stephen.....can you tell me how you placed your Herbie Extra Firm Tenderfeet under your LP70S? peel and stick? just by sheer weight?

Since the CJ CA200 is just shy of 40lbs. ...would you recommend the "extra firm" version? :dunno:

Any advice would be appreciated....thanks

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/dot1.jpg