PDA

View Full Version : My ET5 does not seem to have enough volume steps on the low end ...

joeinid
11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Late at night I like to play music low and I've noticed even from step 0 to step 1 on the volume scale of my ET5 can be too loud at times. Also, it does not seem there is a linear progression of volume steps as I step through the scale. Sometimes when I change the volume going down, I don't perceive as much volume change as when I go up the scale. Any ideas? :scratch2:

jdandy
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Joe.......This has always been an issue with stepped attenuators. The only way around it is to have a custom built attenuator specific to your volume needs.....$$$.

Face
11-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd contact CJ, it may be as simple as a resistor swap in the pre or amp.

joeinid
11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks Dan!

I guess I could always use the variable output of my MCD1100 to compensate. At that point, it's just background music.

joeinid
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks Mike, I'll call them and see what's up.

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:20 PM

That might be more complex than one might think. The volume attenuators in C-J preamps are microprocessor controlled relays that select from a network of precision, low noise, metal foil film resistors...might be more difficult to get into than one might think.

I would just leave things alone.

Also, if you mod your preamp, the resale value will drop.

joeinid
11-22-2011, 11:22 PM
That might be more complex than one might think. The volume attenuators in C-J preamps are microprocessor controlled relays that select from a network of precision, low noise, metal foil film resistors...might be more difficult to get into than one might think.

I would just leave things alone.

Also, if you mod your preamp, the resale value will drop.

I would never do that, but will call CJ.

Rayooo
11-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Late at night I like to play music low and I've noticed even from step 0 to step 1 on the volume scale of my ET5 can be too loud at times. Also, it does not seem there is a linear progression of volume steps as I step through the scale. Sometimes when I change the volume going down, I don't perceive as much volume change as when I go up the scale. Any ideas? :scratch2:

Hummmm, very interesting.

Just as a point of reference, 85% of my listening is between 10 and 25 on the ET-5 readout. I run digital input from W4S-DAC-2 fixed at max output.
I also occasional run BDP-95, which generally speaking seems to have roughly same level out as the W4S, meaning the 10-25 setting still applies.

In my case, can't say I ever listen down below 10 as that is very quiet down there.

The Maggie 3.7s probably help in my case being so inefficient.
Do your power amps have any input level controls?

There are high-quality in-line attenuators available, in the past with another system I used a set of 10DB attenuators from Rothwell Audio Products. If you would like to experiment just shoot me a note and I'll send'em to you.

turntable
11-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Hi Joe

I think the cj unity gain is sround 64 or something on the volume. the steps are .7db. You have around 44db of attenuation.

You need to check the total gain of your system. I believe your Klips and Nola's are high gain. not sure about the Burmester. the cj is quite high gain.

Add that to the high CD output and you probably have a LOT of gain in your system. Does the CD have variable output?

I do not think cj can do anything without affecting sound quality. I have asked them in the past. If you use ARC pre amp - each different gain has a different sound :-(

hence the struggle on the vol control.

goone
11-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Rayoo,
I have a question regarding the Oppo 95 and your W4S DAC 2, are you using your Oppo as a transport going to your W4S? how is the sound with the oppo connect to the dac?
I am looking to get a dac for my oppo 95 I like the oppo sound but want to take it up to another level especially dynamic, soundstage and more bass.
Thanks in advance

Rayooo
11-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Hello goone!

The W4SDAC2 would be highly recommended by me, no reservations.
With 90% of my listening being from Media Streaming FLAC to the W4S to ET-5... the performance is absolutely spectacular in my opinion. If I had to replace the DAC2 today, I don't have a clue as to what I could replace it with at anywhere near the cost.

My situation is a bit strange. I only use the digital out of Oppo into W4S occasionally for previewing a CD. I use the analog out of Oppo for an occasional SACD playback. My impression is that the analog out of the Oppo is not in the same league as the W4S, BUT, I must stress this is very likely more a case of my impression than actual. :confused-18:

If I'm not mistaken the Oppo and W4S use the same SABRE 32 DAC. 'course the magic is in the surrounding analog processing circuitry anyway.

If not for my occasional need to play an SACD, I'd simply run digital out of Oppo to W4S and not give it a second thought.

Puma Cat
11-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Rayoo,
I have a question regarding the Oppo 95 and your W4S DAC 2, are you using your Oppo as a transport going to your W4S? how is the sound with the oppo connect to the dac?
I am looking to get a dac for my oppo 95 I like the oppo sound but want to take it up to another level especially dynamic, soundstage and more bass.
Thanks in advance

Wavelength Brick ASYNCHRONOUS USB. from Gordon Rankin....

This discussion should really move over to the DAC thread,though. ;)

joeinid
11-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations and input. Most of the time I'm between 15-25+ on the volume scale so its not a problem. I'll just use the variable output on the mcd1100 and sonos to fine tune the volume.

goone
11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Rayoo, one more question have you compare the oppo analog by itself to the ET5 and oppo digital out to the W4S to the CJ how would it sound? does the oppo to W4S gain any dynamic and soundstage? I am in the process to pick up a DAC for my system also thinking about audio research DAC7. I am mostly interested in redbook cd very few SACD

Rayooo
11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Rayoo, one more question have you compare the oppo analog by itself to the ET5 and oppo digital out to the W4S to the CJ how would it sound? does the oppo to W4S gain any dynamic and soundstage? I am in the process to pick up a DAC for my system also thinking about audio research DAC7. I am mostly interested in redbook cd very few SACD

Over the next days I'll do a bit of listening and comparing of the various combinations... :music: If I can come up with something I feel worthy of comment I'll post it over in the DAC neighborhood. :yes:

goone
11-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you will looking forward to it

Coppy
11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations and input. Most of the time I'm between 15-25+ on the volume scale so its not a problem. I'll just use the variable output on the mcd1100 and sonos to fine tune the volume.

Going back to the volume issue... every C-J Preamp I've owned (PR14, 16, Act II, ActII S2 and GAT) has had the too loud at low volume issue. As they are relatively close by, and though they advised against it for sound quality reasons, I had them install a resistor to reduce the input a bit. Bad decision, I paid them a second time to take it out and resort the inputs to normal. Lesson learned... as usual, they know what they are doing.

:scratch2:

Bob

joeinid
11-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks Bob,

I've read the same in reviews about not enough steps on the low end. I am sure my system has way too much gain with the Cornwalls at 102dB. My Nolas don't suffer the same problem at approx. 86-88dB.

No biggie. I've got a bead on a GAT and we'll see what happens. I'll suffer with the GAT if I have to :D

Joe

Puma Cat
11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
The GAT will have exactly the same volume response, Joe.

joeinid
11-24-2011, 08:56 PM
The GAT will have exactly the same volume response, Joe.

Thanks Stephen,

I thought so. It really is not a problem. There are many ways to work around it. I'll just have to live with it. I'm sure it will not be too much of an inconvenience. :D

Rayooo
11-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks Bob,

.... I've got a bead on a GAT and we'll see what happens.....
Joe

WHAT!!!!??? good for you! :icon_jump: :eek2:

joeinid
11-24-2011, 09:23 PM
WHAT!!!!??? good for you! :icon_jump: :eek2:

It's not a done deal yet, I hope I did not jinx it but I really want one.

Rafale
11-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Stephen,

I thought so. It really is not a problem. There are many ways to work around it. I'll just have to live with it. I'm sure it will not be too much of an inconvenience. :D

I had this problem with my LP140M but I do not have it any more with the ET250s, the level 1 of the GAT with the LP140M corresponds to the level 10 with ET250s :scratch2:

joeinid
11-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Very nice Philippe,

So how do you like the ET250S? Is it playing well with the GAT?

Thanks!

Rafale
11-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Joe....yes good match with the GAT, I just come to comment on the evolution of the ET250S, it evolves in the right direction, I had a lot of work to be made on the placement of Elipsa to sieve a certain vitality in treble, now the balance is better.....work in progress

Coppy
11-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I had this problem with my LP140M but I do not have it any more with the ET250s, the level 1 of the GAT with the LP140M corresponds to the level 10 with ET250s :scratch2:

Now that's interesting Philippe. C-J preamps all seem to have a good deal of gain. The slightly loud Level 1 volume sounds the same with the LP140s and the Prem. 350. I can only assume your ET250 was designed with a lower input sensitivity for some reason.

Bob

JONERVI
11-25-2011, 01:53 AM
I'll just use the variable output on the mcd1100 and sonos to fine tune the volume.

This method solved the issue for me using the variable outs on my MCD 500 into my Prem 17LS Series 2.