PDA

View Full Version : The hammer of Thor ... ens - great article

Alberto
10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
People are often puzzled that, after trying many brands of modern turntables, I decided to keep a 40-year old Thorens TD125ii turntable with an equally old tonearm.

I know what I like, and to my ears the TD125ii had the most delicious sound of any other turntable I've owned (and this includes a couple of the more sought after TD124s which I sold.) I don't need external validation for my choices, but I must admit that reading this article (http://www.stefanopasini.it/images/Thor1215.pdf) gave me a better understanding of why I like this table so much. The TD125 was not meant to be a cheap successor to the TD124, it was supposed to be an improvement - even though these days TD124s are the ones getting all the attention. As a matter of fact the TD125 was priced comparably to a Garrard 401 at the time.

Anyway, if you are into vinyl and vintage turntables, this is a very good article on Thorens' history.

Yes, my TD125 has a custom plinth but for the most part it's an all original TD125 and still going as strong as ever. The only thing I have to do is change the belt every couple of years.

Here's an unmodified TD125:

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/giradischi/thorens-td-125-mkII/thorens%20td%20125%20mkII.jpg

Here's mine:

http://usr.AudioAsylum.com/images/3/38572/Clearaudio_Maestro_on_TD125_1.JPG

Alberto

chessman
10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Alberto, that TT is flat gorgeous!

Masterlu
10-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Alberto, that TT is flat gorgeous!

An Absolute +1

JSCC
10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
People are often puzzled that, after trying many brands of modern turntables, I decided to keep a 40-year old Thorens TD125ii turntable with an equally old tonearm.

I know what I like, and to my ears the TD125ii had the most delicious sound of any other turntable I've owned (and this includes a couple of the more sought after TD124s which I sold.) I don't need external validation for my choices, but I must admit that reading this article (http://www.stefanopasini.it/images/Thor1215.pdf) gave me a better understanding of why I like this table so much. The TD125 was not meant to be a cheap successor to the TD124, it was supposed to be an improvement - even though these days TD124s are the ones getting all the attention. As a matter of fact the TD125 was priced comparably to a Garrard 401 at the time.

Anyway, if you are into vinyl and vintage turntables, this is a very good article on Thorens' history.

Yes, my TD125 has a custom plinth but for the most part it's an all original TD125 and still going as strong as ever. The only thing I have to do is change the belt every couple of years.

Here's an unmodified TD125:

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/giradischi/thorens-td-125-mkII/thorens%20td%20125%20mkII.jpg

Here's mine:

http://usr.AudioAsylum.com/images/3/38572/Clearaudio_Maestro_on_TD125_1.JPG

Alberto

:thumbsup:

FOR SALE? :D

JSCC
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Seriously, there is one TD126 MKIII Centennial for sale over here. Been gawking at it for some time. Just don't know how to "spring" for it. :thumbsup:

Alberto
10-31-2011, 10:20 AM
:thumbsup:

FOR SALE? :D

If I have to live on the street pushing a shopping cart, that turntable will be on the cart :D.

Thank you for the compliments on the photo of my table, but the reason for the post was the excellent article on Thorens turntables in general - well worth a read for any analog fan. It has information I did not know (e.g. there was an EMT table based on the TD125.)

Alberto

Alberto
10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Seriously, there is one TD126 MKIII Centennial for sale over here. Been gawking at it for some time. Just don't know how to "spring" for it. :thumbsup:

That's an amazing looking Thorens. Wow! However, the article in the original post is less than flattering about the TD126 - but I am not sure if the centennial model is special in some way. It's definitely an '10' in term of looks.

Alberto

ehoove
10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
That's an amazing looking Thorens. Wow! However, the article in the original post is less than flattering about the TD126 - but I am not sure if the centennial model is special in some way. It's definitely an '10' in term of looks.

Alberto

Alberto,
I have owned a TD150, TD160, TD160 Super, TD125, TD125mkII, and a TD126MkIII. the TD125 was an improvement over the TD150, and the TD125MkII an improvement over the TD125, while the TD126 series was on par with the TD125MkII in performance just adding electronic controls, and a DC motor in the case of the TD126MkIII. IMHO they are all great tables, but the TD125mkII is the sweetspot.
Regards,
Jim

wgallupe
11-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Alberto

Hello Alberto,

I interpreted that part of the article a little differently. The author said the TD126 was an improvement over the TD125. However, in his opinion, the performance improvement was not significantly better and therefore did not justify the much higher price.

From this we can now say that, 40 years later, both turntables are very good performers. The fact they sell for about the same price today means that purchase decisions can be based on personal preferences rather than performance differences.

Kind regards,
Wayne

Masterlu
11-04-2011, 12:21 AM
wgallupe... Welcome! :wave:

wgallupe
11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
wgallupe... Welcome! :wave:

Hello Masterlu,

So, you noticed it was my first post. Thanks for the welcome :D

Been stopping in now and then to see what's going on. Nice forum. Nice people. What more can one ask for :thumbsup:

Looking forward to more participation.

Best regards,
Wayne

jwhite613
11-04-2011, 09:03 PM
wgallupe... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

Alberto
11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Hello Alberto,

I interpreted that part of the article a little differently. The author said the TD126 was an improvement over the TD125. However, in his opinion, the performance improvement was not significantly better and therefore did not justify the much higher price.

From this we can now say that, 40 years later, both turntables are very good performers. The fact they sell for about the same price today means that purchase decisions can be based on personal preferences rather than performance differences.

Kind regards,
Wayne

Wayne,

#1 - Welcome to AA

#2 - I re-read the article, and you are right about the TD125 vs TD126.

Alberto

wgallupe
11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. It's a nice feeling...

Alberto, I also wanted to say that your TD125 is beautiful. I too have found vintage turntables to be very rewarding. Your point in your OP about not needing external validation: Bravo! I'm with you.

Kind regards,
Wayne