PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Thoughts on the CA200 ....

joeinid
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Has anyone compared the CA200 to the ET250? How does the CA200 stand up to its more expensive siblings? :scratch2:

Thanks!

ronenash
10-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I had the CA200 and found it to be one of THE best amplifiers I had in my system. The CA200 is very similar to the Premier 350SA. It has great transparency, a huge soundstage and very good dynamics. I did not keep it mainly because I needed a power amp and it did not make sense to use them as a power amp. I have to say the CA200 had many advantages over the stock LP125M monoblocks I got later. I assume that after upgrading the 125M to SE things will be different. I still miss the CA200 and might get it anyway as a second amplifier.
I loved that big little amp!

joeinid
10-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks. I keep looking at one but am waiting for more reports on the ET250S. So much gear, so little time.

Puma Cat
10-31-2011, 12:59 AM
I've also heard that the CA200 sounds more like a Premier 350 than anything else C-J put out, and that is not a bad thing. I heard a Pr350 from the guy I bought my Pr17 from, it is one of the most impressive amps I've ever heard. A lot like a Burmester 911 Mk3.

Joe, FWIW, I have a friend who as an ET250S and he loves it; he uses it very effectively to drive Maggies, just about the hardest speaker to drive. He thinks it is a real "sleeper", a truly excellent product that almost no one knows about. I read a review of once in a mag where the guys at C-J also think the ET250S is a "sleeper", and one that pairs beautifully with a tube preamp. I've thought many times myself about getting one, and would love to have one to live with for a while.

Trouble is, I'm extremely happy with my LP70S. It's a gorgeous sounding amp, and I got for a steal, only $2500 in like-new condition.

Puma Cat
10-31-2011, 01:04 AM
I had the CA200 and found it to be one of THE best amplifiers I had in my system.
I loved that big little amp!

Not surprising, I've heard the same thing about this control amp from everyone who has ever had or heard one.

joeinid
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
The main reason I shy away from some nice tube amps is because the amount of time my system is on. There has been a great deal on a demo CA200 & sometimes the ET250's show up at reasonable prices.

dpod4
11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd love to hear opinions on rank order of best to less from anyone who has heard all three of these:
- CJ CA200
- LP275m
- ET250s

joeinid
11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I'd love to hear opinions on rank order of best to less from anyone who has heard all three of these:
- CJ CA200
- LP275m
- ET250s

:yes: Me too!

Puma Cat
11-05-2011, 01:28 AM
I haven't heard any of these, but I would hazard a guess:

1) LP275M
2) ET250S
3) CA200

ronenash
11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I think the LP275M is in a different price range and would definitly be the best choice if (and thi is a bug if)
1. You are willing to pay the high electricity bills - They will eat up ~1K watt each when powered on.
2. You are willing to pay ~$1000 for replacement tubes every 2-3 years.

The CA200 are in the same price range. I have heard both. The ET250s is a bit warmer in tone and you can fine tune it through tube rolling. The CA200 is dead natural, super detailed, transparent and has that seductive CJ glow. With the CA200 you also get a build in passive preamp that has worked with any cable or source component I have tried extremely well.

If I was to make a purchase now I would get the CA200. I might still get it in addition to the LP125m I have. It is that good!

dpod4
11-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I just wish some kind audiophile would sell me their Premier 350!

Puma Cat
11-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Premier 350s are unstable and can blow up if not handled correctly. This is why C-J discontinued it and replaced it with the ET250S. If you want Pr350 sound, as Ron has pointed out, you should get a CA200.

dpod4
11-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks...was hoping for more juice to power my Maggie 3.7s during the summer months when I'm not running tubes. Although, having preamp and amp in one package sure is enticing.

Puma Cat
11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Do the summer months get that hot in Portland that you don't want to use tubes?

dpod4
11-05-2011, 02:31 PM
We have one A/C and one thermostat for our entire home, and my media room is on second floor where a/c already struggles to cool the room even before the tubes kick in. 8 KT88s plus 4 6sn7s do raise the temperature at least a few degrees in the room. One option is to use money to buy a second 300.1a and better air conditioning!

Coppy
11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Premier 350s are unstable and can blow up if not handled correctly. This is why C-J discontinued it and replaced it with the ET250S. If you want Pr350 sound, as Ron has pointed out, you should get a CA200.

I'll have to strongly disagree with you about the instability of the PR350. Sure, if you short the outputs after it's been running a while, that big caps that make all that power will unload in a big way. So... don't do that. Mine and everyone I know who has one has had no issues. I'm sure CJD would aggressively disagree that they discontinued that highly regarded amp for that reason. People want to buy tubed equipment from CJD... it was a bit of an outlier in their product line.

dpod4
11-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I called CJ and told them if they came out with an "anniversary" version of the 350 they would sell out in a hurry, and I'd be first in line.

turntable
11-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Interesting. I was reading the M Colloms hifi critic review of the Wilson sasha's and he put on his reference cj prem 350's.

playing vinyl, the cj 350A power amp became violently unstable,not through acoustic feedback but some kind of electrical feedback. It was as if the 350A was not well disposed towards the Sasha's known low bass impedance. heavy low frequency transients set it off, sending an electrical ripple back to that sensitive moving coil preamplifier

When I owned the 350A. it used to just switch off for no reason, or electrical feedback into the pre amp and switch that off - almost as if it was not grounded correctly - a bit scary

I know cj's tube power amps never do that - in fact they drive Wilson speakers brilliantly

dpod4
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting. I was reading the M Colloms hifi critic review of the Wilson sasha's and he put on his reference cj prem 350's.

When I owned the 350A. it used to just switch off for no reason, or electrical feedback into the pre amp and switch that off - almost as if it was not grounded correctly - a bit scary

I know cj's tube power amps never do that - in fact they drive Wilson speakers brilliantly

How do you like your CJ GAT amp?? What did you compare it to before buying, if you don't mind me asking?

ronenash
11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I will try to relate to a few of the things said in one post.

The Premier 350SA had a revision made because of the shutoff issue. CJ sent a simple update to all dealers to avoid this problem. Its was a simple 5 minute fix. You do need to drag the beast to your dealer.

Regarding the blowup issues mentioned, to avoid degrading sound quality, CJ did not put any protection circuits in the 350. There is no series resistor, or short circuit protection. With all that power, if you short the output it will blow up. When this happens its a mess and many components need replacement. You need to get the components from CJ as they use such high quality components that they are not available off the shelf.
Of course you can avoid all this by simply powering off the 350 and waiting a few minutes before connecting and disconnecting cables.

CJ stopped making the 350 because of two reasons: (1) There was little demand for non tube gear from CJ and it was not selling as well as they hoped. Personally I think this is insane as all reviews stated that this is one of the best amps around! (2) The manufacturing costs of the 350 were very high and required a major price increase which CJ did not think they could charge for the amp.
If it ever goes back into manufacturing do expect much higher prices than before.

JONERVI
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM

The Premier 350SA had a revision made because of the shutoff issue. CJ sent a simple update to all dealers to avoid this problem. Its was a simple 5 minute fix. You do need to drag the beast to your dealer.

Regarding the blowup issues mentioned, to avoid degrading sound quality, CJ did not put any protection circuits in the 350. There is no series resistor, or short circuit protection. With all that power, if you short the output it will blow up. When this happens its a mess and many components need replacement. You need to get the components from CJ as they use such high quality components that they are not available off the shelf.
Of course you can avoid all this by simply powering off the 350 and waiting a few minutes before connecting and disconnecting cables.

CJ stopped making the 350 because of two reasons: (1) There was little demand for non tube gear from CJ and it was not selling as well as they hoped. Personally I think this is insane as all reviews stated that this is one of the best amps around! (2) The manufacturing costs of the 350 were very high and required a major price increase which CJ did not think they could charge for the amp.
If it ever goes back into manufacturing do expect much higher prices than before.

Now this is as EDUCATED, well RESEARCHED, and INFORMATIVE a post as you will ever find.......thank you kindly roneash for setting the record straight.

My PR350SA has performed flawlessly since birth, and since I work only 10 mins away from the cj mothership, I plan to stop by soon and have the cj techs perform a health check on my 350...... because it is definitely a keeper. :thumbsup:

turntable
11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
How do you like your CJ GAT amp?? What did you compare it to before buying, if you don't mind me asking?

The GAT pre amp is superb. I had a cj ART3 before that.

Coppy
11-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Ronenash,

I too thank you for the factual response on the P350.
Regarding Martin Collom's experience it should probably be taken in the context of understanding "mains" power in the UK. In the US, notwithstanding all the filtering and fussing we do with our power input, we enjoy a consistent supply of power at constant voltage, lots of current and most important to this discussion... at contstant 60 cycles. Not an excuse but many good equipment companies have some difficulty designing power supplies for use overseas as their supply of higher voltage power is very inconsistent as to voltage and AC frequency. We've all seen the discussions of their efforts to control the power issues coming into their systems. Maybe this is a part of the problem for the respected Mr. Collums. What I did take away from that quote was that despite the probable availability to him of some very fine modern amplification, the old P350 is still his "reference". Also, personally I have no problem driving my Sashas to brick loosening db levels at very low organ pipe frequencies with the P350.

Bob

ronenash
11-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Now this is as EDUCATED, well RESEARCHED, and INFORMATIVE a post as you will ever find.......thank you kindly roneash for setting the record straight.

My PR350SA has performed flawlessly since birth, and since I work only 10 mins away from the cj mothership, I plan to stop by soon and have the cj techs perform a health check on my 350...... because it is definitely a keeper. :thumbsup:

Thank you. The CJ dealer in the country is a good freind of mine and I personally asked for one last P350SA for myself. This is the answer coming directly from Lew. Maybe if we all keep pushing we will get a re-issue of the P350....

joeinid
11-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Thank you. The CJ dealer in the country is a good freind of mine and I personally asked for one last P350SA for myself. This is the answer coming directly from Lew. Maybe if we all keep pushing we will get a re-issue of the P350....

Yes! Count me in. Thank you very much for the information. I love tubes but for most of my listening, though not critical, solid state or hybrid is necessary.

Joe

dpod4
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I will send a check ASAP for a 350. Count me in.

joeinid
11-07-2011, 12:20 AM

I sense a group buy :)

Make it so .......

ronenash
11-07-2011, 02:23 AM
All that is left is to convince Lew Johnson to manufacture them again... :yes:

turntable
11-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Has anyone heard the McCormack DNA-750?

I wonder how much cj heritage is now inside

turntable
11-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Ronenash,

I too thank you for the factual response on the P350.
Regarding Martin Collom's experience it should probably be taken in the context of understanding "mains" power in the UK. In the US, notwithstanding all the filtering and fussing we do with our power input, we enjoy a consistent supply of power at constant voltage, lots of current and most important to this discussion... at contstant 60 cycles. Not an excuse but many good equipment companies have some difficulty designing power supplies for use overseas as their supply of higher voltage power is very inconsistent as to voltage and AC frequency. We've all seen the discussions of their efforts to control the power issues coming into their systems. Maybe this is a part of the problem for the respected Mr. Collums. What I did take away from that quote was that despite the probable availability to him of some very fine modern amplification, the old P350 is still his "reference". Also, personally I have no problem driving my Sashas to brick loosening db levels at very low organ pipe frequencies with the P350.

Bob

That is good news that you can drive your sasha's no problem at all. Collom's still should not had any problems with the cj regardless of the voltage, he had none with the Krell. not sure if he ever found the root cause.

I am another from the 240 volt world. The voltage can go up to 255-260 volts at time's. I never had any problems driving any speakers with the 350's - then again I never had Sasha's either. But the issue of the amps switching off now and then was real and happened toafew of us in Australia.

I did have serious issue with Cary with their 500Mb monoblocks. Transformers incorrectly spec'd for 240 volts and they buzzed like crazy and used to shut down all the time. Cary eventually replaced them with over spec'd german transformers - but frankly with those, the magic in the sound was gone. Got my $$ back fortunately.

That is why buying 220 volt gear from Hong Kong is a no no, for amps especially. Things blow up.

Coppy
11-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess we're luck in the states to have good power in most places... even if we fuss with it doing filters for EMI. I think some of the power issues for equipment overseas has to do with the inconsistent frequency of the AC current. (60 cycles, etc) That would make many transformers act really crazy.

JONERVI
11-08-2011, 03:15 AM
All that is left is to convince Lew Johnson to manufacture them again... :yes:

based on this thread alone.......the not yet manufactured PR350SA re-issues have already sold out. :D

Puma Cat
11-08-2011, 04:54 AM
I'll have to strongly disagree with you about the instability of the PR350. Sure, if you short the outputs after it's been running a while, that big caps that make all that power will unload in a big way. So... don't do that. Mine and everyone I know who has one has had no issues. I'm sure CJD would aggressively disagree that they discontinued that highly regarded amp for that reason. People want to buy tubed equipment from CJD... it was a bit of an outlier in their product line.

I was relating the information that the principal of Spearit Sound related first-hand to me about Premier 350s and he's about as in touch with C-J as one could possibly be. Also when I mentioned this instability issue with my local C-J dealer in Berkeley, CA, he also said that he blew up a Pr350 due to these issues. Nothing I've mentioned in my post above differs in substance to the info from Ron, Shane, or Martin Colloms.

Cheers,
PC

Puma Cat
11-08-2011, 04:59 AM
based on this thread alone.......the not yet manufactured PR350SA re-issues have already sold out. :D

C-J will never bring that amp back, much as you, I, or anyone else would like them too...they were never able to solve the failure mode issues without making it sound worse.

Guys, don't get me wrong here...I love this amp. If I had one, I would be using it (carefully). I think it's one of the finest amps I've ever heard. But it does have a documented history of having failure modes that can cause it to blow up or otherwise fail.

turntable
11-08-2011, 06:03 AM
moved to new thread

Rafale
11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
CA 200 review....enjoy
AudiogoN Forums: Review: Conrad Johnson CA200 Amplifier (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ramps&1196116042&read&keyw&zzconrad=johnson)

joeinid
11-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks Philippe,

Very nice indeed!

Joe

Rafale
11-12-2011, 03:27 PM
CA 200 = best kept CJ secret ?

Pider
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Very nice review. My interest is definitely piqued.

BTW. When some says "dark" what does that generally mean?

Rafale
11-12-2011, 03:34 PM

imo the tonal balance does not favor high frequencies

chessman
11-12-2011, 03:34 PM

I understand "dark" to be the same as "warm," i.e. a touch less detailed in favor of sounding lush. Interestingly, when the listener likes the sound it is usually called warm, lush, romantic or musical. When the listener dislikes the sound it is called "dark," apparently to imply "not detailed."

ronenash
11-13-2011, 12:06 AM
CA 200 = best kept CJ secret ?

It most certainly is! I am perty much set on getting the CA200 back from the dealer in addition to my LP125M SE.

Just can't stand the idea of parting with that amp!

Rafale
11-13-2011, 06:25 AM
CJ bargain of the month....
Conrad Johnson CA-200 For Sale | AudiogoN (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1325530614&/Conrad-Johnson-CA-200-Award-wi)

dpod4
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM

My luck and persistance paid off. Found and bought a NIB unopened Premier 350 amp.

Rafale
11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow...great news, congrats.....

joeinid
11-16-2011, 06:01 PM
My luck and persistance paid off. Found and bought a NIB unopened Premier 350 amp.

Are you kidding? Wow!

dpod4
11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Are you kidding? Wow!

Yep purchased from an auth dealer for HT room that never happened and sat in storage past few years.

joeinid
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep purchased from an auth dealer for HT room that never happened and sat in storage past few years.

Ooooooh what a lucky man you are, great score. Enjoy!

dpod4
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Ooooooh what a lucky man you are, great score. Enjoy!

Thanks!

ronenash
11-17-2011, 12:16 AM

Indeed a lucky catch. Congrats and enjoy!
Just give it plenty of break in time. 400 hours or so to start sounding good. At 600 hours you should be in heaven :music:

dpod4
11-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Indeed a lucky catch. Congrats and enjoy!
Just give it plenty of break in time. 400 hours or so to start sounding good. At 600 hours you should be in heaven :music:

Thanks. Any advice on stock power cord versus upgraded pc?

ronenash
11-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks. Any advice on stock power cord versus upgraded pc?

CJ stock is good. Better than most other manufacturers. Wireworld Electa is still a big step up.

dpod4
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
CJ stock is good. Better than most other manufacturers. Wireworld Electa is still a big step up.

Thanks. I will run stock for a few hundred hours then decide. I'm very excited - brand new pr 350 is on its way to me.

ronenash
11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
One additional note, this is not an amplifier you want to make coonections to when it is powered. Before making any connections make sure the amplifier is turned off and that you are not shorting the outputs.
If you follow this procedure it will last a life time.

dpod4
11-19-2011, 02:42 AM
One additional note, this is not an amplifier you want to make coonections to when it is powered. Before making any connections make sure the amplifier is turned off and that you are not shorting the outputs.
If you follow this procedure it will last a life time.

Thank you!

dpod4
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
It arrived!

jimtranr
11-22-2011, 02:40 PM
It arrived!

Gee, I wonder what you'll be doing this week. :D

Congratulations. I have just one concern--the impact it's going to have on the Cascadia subduction zone.

Seriously, I'm sure we're all anxious to hear what you hear.

dpod4
11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm going to hook it up and play it for a few hundred hours without listening to it. I assume break-in can occur without speaker wire being plugged into speakers?

Thanks to Jeff Dorgay for his advice months ago when I asked about class A or SS amps to drive the 3.7s. He said I should be patient and wait for a PR350. Now to see if it beats or equals my VAC 300.1a. Worst case scenario I have a summer and winter amp!

joeinid
11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know how you did it, but Congrats. Enjoy it from the moment you turn it on. Don't waste a minute and let it play by itself. I really like when a piece of gear matures in front of me, It's awesome to finally realize - WOW! What just happened and know you are there.

Joe

chessman
11-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm going to hook it up and play it for a few hundred hours without listening to it. I assume break-in can occur without speaker wire being plugged into speakers?

Not sure about this, but I think I recall that amps should never be run without being under a load, i.e. speaker cables connected to speakers.

jimtranr
11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Not sure about this, but I think I recall that amps should never be run without being under a load, i.e. speaker cables connected to speakers.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially with that amp.

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Especially with that amp....

dpod4
11-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Thx for the advice. I shall burn it in while listening to the Maggies.

Kevinkwan
11-22-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure why you'd want to run a signal through an amplifier without having it connected to a load, but in the case of the CJ Premier 350 (and quite unlike CJ's tube amplifiers) doing so will cause no harm. Of course, it will do no good either, so why not keep it connected?

I auditioned a Premier 350 a year ago and, living dangerously, switched speaker cables not only while the amp was running, but while music was playing. No problem whatsoever.

This ain't your grandfather's CJ.

dpod4
11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure why you'd want to run a signal through an amplifier without having it connected to a load, but in the case of the CJ Premier 350 (and quite unlike CJ's tube amplifiers) doing so will cause no harm. Of course, it will do no good either, so why not keep it connected?

I auditioned a Premier 350 a year ago and, living dangerously, switched speaker cables not only while the amp was running, but while music was playing. No problem whatsoever.

I wanted to burn in the amp silently.

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:00 PM

You're right, that was living dangerously....my local dealer destroyed a Pr350 doing something similar. :scratch2:

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
It arrived!

Congrats on your Pr350 find!

I think it's time we created a new thread for your impressions of the Premier 350, probably the closest thing to a domestically produced Burmester 911 MkIII.

dpod4
11-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Congrats on your Pr350 find!

I think it's time we created a new thread for your impressions of the Premier 350, probably the closest thing to a domestically produced Burmester 911 MkIII.

I will do that. It will be in my reference system up against a $20k VAC tube amp.

Kevinkwan
11-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Actually, that can't be done. To burn in the amp, you need current flow rather than current, per se. In the simplest terms, it's the "flow" that does the work.

You're right, that was living dangerously....my local dealer destroyed a Pr350 doing something similar. :scratch2:

I've no idea what your dealer did (maybe crossed the leads?), but running a Premier 350 without a load did not cause the amp to fail.

I studied the circuit extensively when I had the amp in house. As an EE, it was pretty easy to interpret what I saw. However, just to be super safe, I called Ed at CJ. He confirmed what I saw when I looked at the circuit: It does not require a load, unlike CJ's tube amplifiers, to operate safely.

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I've no idea what your dealer did (maybe crossed the leads?), but running a Premier 350 without a load did not cause the amp to fail.

I don't exactly what he did either, all I knew is he blew one up when connecting or disconnecting speakers.

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Perhaps we should move this discussion over to the Pr350 thread.

dpod4
11-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Perhaps we should move this discussion over to the Pr350 thread.

Pls provide link. Thx

Puma Cat
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Pls provide link. Thx

http://www.audioaficionado.org/conrad-johnson/11012-conrad-johnson-premier-350-discussion.html

rthomeint
11-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Here's what I do when I'm burning in an amp or speaker cable: I use a pair of old speakers I don't care about and hook one speaker in phase and one speaker out of phase. Place the speakers face to face very close and play music or pink noise from a test cd on repeat(I used and old cd player that I don't care about) at a low to moderate to levels. Most of the sound should cancel out. If not pillows or towels to dampen even more. My Listening room is under my bedroom and I can run this all day without hearing it upstairs. I burned in a pair of Audioquest Speaker cables last month doing this.

Kevinkwan
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
That's one way to do it. Another is to hook the speaker cables to a pair of appropriately rated non-inductive wirewound resistors. Very simple, very silent.

joeinid
11-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi,

Back to the CA200 for a moment, has this been discontinued? I don't see it on CJ's list of current products. Does CJ offer any updates/upgrades for the CA200? Can it be used as an amp only hooked up to a preamp?

Thanks!

ronenash
11-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi,

Back to the CA200 for a moment, has this been discontinued? I don't see it on CJ's list of current products. Does CJ offer any updates/upgrades for the CA200? Can it be used as an amp only hooked up to a preamp?

Thanks!

Yes. The CA200 was discontinued together with the Premier 350 a few year ago. You can still find some new old stock unit at Spirit Sound.

joeinid
11-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes. The CA200 was discontinued together with the Premier 350 a few year ago. You can still find some new old stock unit at Spirit Sound.

Thanks ronenash,

If anyone can help answer a question, since these amps were discontinued a few years ago, will CJ be able to repair them going into the future? If I found a good deal on a CA200, should I jump on it?

Thanks !

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks ronenash,

If anyone can help answer a question, since these amps were discontinued a few years ago, will CJ be able to repair them going into the future? If I found a good deal on a CA200, should I jump on it?

Thanks !

Yes. C-J repairs virtually everything they have ever made, going all the way back to the PV-1.

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
And yes, you should jump on any CA-200

joeinid
11-25-2011, 12:43 PM
And yes, you should jump on any CA-200

Thanks! :music:

joeinid
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Just one more question:

Can I bypass the preamp section on the CA200 and use it just as a power amp only with my own preamp?

nz022
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I have owned a CA200 for about 3 years now and have enjoyed every moment.
This was a transition for me to make life simple with audio gear.

I now have the CA200 with a Cary 303/300 CD player and a pair of B&W Matrix 802s w/ NorthCreek crossovers.

This replaced Premier 11 / Premier 10 / Premier 17 / DV-2b player and a lot of extra tubes and interconnects.

dpod4
11-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Just one more question:

Can I bypass the preamp section on the CA200 and use it just as a power amp only with my own preamp?

Spearit sound told me u could. They said the ca200 has the circuitry and so the same magic as the pr350. I wish I knew about this amp last year. I would have bought it instead of the sim audio i5.3se. And I read the ca200 is what lew Johnson uses in his own home.

joeinid
11-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Spearit sound told me u could. They said the ca200 has the circuitry and so the same magic as the pr350. I wish I knew about this amp last year. I would have bought it instead of the sim audio i5.3se. And I read the ca200 is what lew Johnson uses in his own home.

Thanks. I'll know next week when I have it in my hands. I wanted to snag one before it was too late. I found a great deal on a store demo that was recently checked out. It will have a new warranty.

dpod4
11-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks. I'll know next week when I have it in my hands. I wanted to snag one before it was too late. I found a great deal on a store demo that was recently checked out. It will have a new warranty.

Congrats. One to keep and never sell.

joeinid
11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrats. One to keep and never sell.

Thanks,

Puma Cat already called dibs if I sell it.

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
That's right and don't anyone forget it! :D

joeinid
11-25-2011, 05:24 PM
That's right and don't anyone forget it! :D

You are locked in and I promise not to make a profit. I'll only ask what I paid for it :)

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Works for me!

joeinid
11-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Works for me!

;)

Masterlu
11-25-2011, 06:26 PM
nz022... Welcome! :wave:

jwhite613
11-25-2011, 06:34 PM
nz022... Welcome To AA!!!!

:welcome2.:

joeinid
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I have owned a CA200 for about 3 years now and have enjoyed every moment.
This was a transition for me to make life simple with audio gear.

I now have the CA200 with a Cary 303/300 CD player and a pair of B&W Matrix 802s w/ NorthCreek crossovers.

This replaced Premier 11 / Premier 10 / Premier 17 / DV-2b player and a lot of extra tubes and interconnects.

Hi nz022,

I can't believe I missed your post. Welcome to AA. Thanks for giving me another reason to jump on the CA200. I should have it next week and am looking forward to it. Nice system you have. CJ makes great natural sounding gear.

Joe

jimtranr
11-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Welcome aboard, nz022.

joeinid
11-25-2011, 10:34 PM
As for features, the CA200 has five line-level inputs — enough to accommodate just about any sane audiophile. But because there are no sane audiophiles the CA200 also offers two external processor loops. The first is a set of line-level inputs and outputs and can be used as either a tape loop, a sixth source or to hook up a line-level tone or parametric equalizer. The second processor loop, labeled "Theater", locks the volume level on the CA200 at unity and thus cedes volume and balance control to an external surround sound processor. There is also a set of "pre-out" RCA jacks on the rear panel which can be used to send a line-level signal to such things as a powered sub-woofer. The rear plate also hold two sets of heavy-duty, gold-plated speaker jacks as well the IEC power cord receptacle.

Does this mean I can use this second processor loop as my preamp input?

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 11:07 PM
I believe that's correct. I would call Ed to confirm; you want to make sure that the EPL does not involve the CA200 preamp circuit.

joeinid
11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks!

dpod4
11-25-2011, 11:09 PM
As for features, the CA200 has five line-level inputs — enough to accommodate just about any sane audiophile. But because there are no sane audiophiles the CA200 also offers two external processor loops. The first is a set of line-level inputs and outputs and can be used as either a tape loop, a sixth source or to hook up a line-level tone or parametric equalizer. The second processor loop, labeled "Theater", locks the volume level on the CA200 at unity and thus cedes volume and balance control to an external surround sound processor. There is also a set of "pre-out" RCA jacks on the rear panel which can be used to send a line-level signal to such things as a powered sub-woofer. The rear plate also hold two sets of heavy-duty, gold-plated speaker jacks as well the IEC power cord receptacle.

Does this mean I can use this second processor loop as my preamp input?

Yes the pass-thru inputs are how u bypass preamp and utilize it as an amp. The tape out is useful too. I use my VAC Ren preamp's tape output to feed my byerdynamic headphone amp. The VAC can be completely off and as long as selector switch is set to right input my headphone amp gets a signal.

ronenash
11-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I believe that's correct. I would call Ed to confirm; you want to make sure that the EPL does not involve the CA200 preamp circuit.

I can verify this PC. I have used the CA200 as a power amp via the EPL2 (Theater input). The CA200 does not have a preamp section (passive) but EPL2 bypasses the volume control.

joeinid
11-26-2011, 12:57 AM
I can verify this PC. I have used the CA200 as a power amp via the EPL2 (Theater input). The CA200 does not have a preamp section (passive) but EPL2 bypasses the volume control.

Yea! Thanks ronenash

Puma Cat
11-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Yea! Thanks ronenash

Looks like you're set, Joe!

joeinid
11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Should be very nice. I can't wait.

Rafale
11-27-2011, 11:43 AM
CJ CA200 Control Amplifier- TAS August 2007- by Neil Gader

C-J 's 30th anniversary gift to music lovers

' I chatted up c-j vice-president Lew Johnson for details about the CA200. He emphasized that the CA200 is not an intregrated amplifier per se, because that implies the presence of a linestage preamplifier and there is no linestage int the CA200. The audio circuit comprises a single voltage gainstage, followed by a high-current buffer/output stage. ''It's exactly the same circuit found in the Premier 350, scaled down to roughly one-half scale ( 185 watts per channel ), as dictated by the compact chassis size '' Johnson said. "This circuit uses our autolinear gain circuit that is designed for zero distorsion (theorical) with zero feedback-and in fact, as is the case with the Premier 350 amp, there is no loop feedback in the CA200''. Finally the bipolar transistor output stage achieves a high damping factor without loop feedback. In essence the CA200 is a high gain amplifier harnessed to a stepped-attenuator level control and input-selector switchs. As Johnson would be the first to point out, less circuitry and the elimination of a set of interconnect give amplifiers of this ilk an advantage, but only if other elements have been equally well-executed. Certainly, parts-quality is first rate: Vishay metal-foil resistors (including all elements of the discrete stepped-attenuator level control), CJ D polystyrene capacitors, and the same input and outpout connectors found on CJ's flagship products.
The sonic character of the CA200 is marked by a golden sweetness and a hint of tube-like warmth that are best appreciated with acoustic instruments and voices. ....The CJ's dynamic reserve is considerable, but it's at its most expressive with complex harmonic interplay-the kind of challenges that the disparate voices of a symphony orchestra routinely provide.....Although it would be a fool's mission to attribute specific sound traits to the distinctive topology and minimalist ethic of the CA200, a couple of unexpected characteristics captured my attention. This amp flat-out images and soundstaging with a dimensionality and openness that I've rarely experienced with an integrated ( oops, control) amplifier. It conveys a sensation of bloom and scope that brings to mind the magic of LPs. Also the soundstage has a slightly unusual perspective, compared to my current reference. The stage is narrower but reaches back a bit deeper. On a recording like Norah Jones "Broken" instruments don't seem regimented across the stage, like a jailhouse lineup; rather they're staggered front to back, a foot here, a foot there, taller , shorter, like real players assuming natural positions. It's a reminder of how height cues and distances aid us in locating trancient minutiae....
Whether it's the shorter signal path,one less gainstage, or just old-fashioned design brilliance, the musicality of the CA200 made a rare direct connection with me. This year marks the 30th anniversary of conrad-johnson. With the CA200 joining the line-up, it's hard to imagine a more fitting tribute to the skill, instincts, and passion of one of the great pioneering teams of the high end.

joeinid
11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
That is an awesome read. Thank you for posting. Too bad the case was not a little bigger to house the better teflon caps. I'm curious to see what's coming out from CJ in the near future.

ronenash
11-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Nothing like the CA200 for sure. I think they have dropped the all solid state design for the time being. A big loss for us audiophiles.

joeinid
11-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I am glad I have one on the way. Fingers crossed for future solid state models. I will have to check out the ET250S next year. The ET250S should be very nice.

Puma Cat
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Joe,
I'd love to experience both the CA200 and ET250S at some point in time. My Dyns like big power amps and I'd love to see what they'd do with major current muscle to control their 3" voice coils.

On the other hand, you might want to think about checking out one of the higher-end tube amps e.g. the linear pentode (LP) series amps at some point in time. The guys at Spearit feel these are best amps C-J have ever put out (though Shane's superb Premier 8s have to be considered to be in that class). I haven't experienced the joy of monoblocks yet, but I can say my LP70S is "beauty" as the Ozzies say.

Puma Cat
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Nothing like the CA200 for sure. I think they have dropped the all solid state design for the time being. A big loss for us audiophiles.

C-J really seems to be heading towards more of a hybrid design philosophy lately as exemplified by the enhanced triode series: ET250S, ET-2, ET-3, ET-5 and GAT.

Puma Cat
11-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I am glad I have one on the way. Fingers crossed for future solid state models. I will have to check out the ET250S next year. The ET250S should be very nice.

Joe, I have a friend whose main system is a CT-5 and an ET250s driving Maggie 3's. He says it's a killer system for driving Maggies, that the CT-5 is a "very special" preamp and the ET250S is the "sleeper" in the C-J lineup, and this guy is much pickier than I am. He also likes a very neutral system, and feels these two components are amongst the most neutral C-J has made. He feels the C-J tube preamp/hybrid power amp setup is very effective and sounds great. He also has an all ARC system for his Martin-Logans, but prefers his C-J system.

joeinid
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Stephen,

I appreciate the comments above. I will be tied up and can't respond for a while but you make a lot of sense. Its too bad work intrudes on our/my audio habit.

Joe

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:09 AM
ETA on the CA200 will be Wednesday evening. I'll only have a small window to catch the UPS guy. I hate chasing him down :(

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Oh man, I am jealous. Hope you catch him.

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Oh man, I am jealous. Hope you catch him.

Let's see, I have the spike strips, pointy jax, police tape, street cones and barricades. What else do I need?

Puma Cat
11-29-2011, 02:29 AM
A GPS leg thingy?

joeinid
11-29-2011, 02:30 AM
A GPS leg thingy?

Great idea!

joeinid
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, the good news is that the CA200 is in the car. The bad news is I don't get home from work until after 1:00am :( I hope I can get it warm enough on the way home to hook it up and play a few tunes. Oh it's going to be tough.

I wonder how a GAT playing through a CA200 would sound as a short term solution?

Puma Cat
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Purdy dang schweet.

jimtranr
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Congrats, Joe. Hope the day goes quickly for you.

Pider
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Joe.... Congratulations! I keep looking longingly at this unit. Can't wait for your report!

jwhite613
11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Congratulations Joe!!!! :thumbsup:

dpod4
11-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, the good news is that the CA200 is in the car. The bad news is I don't get home from work until after 1:00am :( I hope I can get it warm enough on the way home to hook it up and play a few tunes. Oh it's going to be tough.

I wonder how a GAT playing through a CA200 would sound as a short term solution?

Congrats! I'm picturing it in an infant car seat with a warm blanket around it! I bet with the GAT and moderately efficient speakers, that would be a very hard setup to beat. The GAT should super charge the imaging and midrange magic, and the CA200 will deliver the grunt and speed.

joeinid
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks! More later ...

joeinid
11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Joe!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff :D

Congrats! I'm picturing it in an infant car seat with a warm blanket around it! I bet with the GAT and moderately efficient speakers, that would be a very hard setup to beat. The GAT should super charge the imaging and midrange magic, and the CA200 will deliver the grunt and speed.

Pretty close, I'll just keep the car running with the heat on :yes: This should get me a good taste of honey.

Puma Cat
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
We want a report as soon as possible!

joeinid
11-30-2011, 09:34 PM
It's a 45 minute ride home. I'll put the amp next to me and crank the heat :) Hope it's warm enough to get her going.

Hibbing
06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
LOVE my CA-200 oddly I "downgraded" from a 350 and absolutely never miss it. The 200 is the closest you can get and sounds just as good if you don't need the extra power. Never heard an integrated amp come close and that includes the Pass Labs and BAT.

Briz Vegaas
06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi Hibbing. Glad you are enjoying your CA200. If you have a DAC with digital volume control or a PC based source give it a go as a straight power amp using the Theatre bypass input, digital volume control ( hardware or software) and let us know what you think. It's an interesting experiment and I know what I preferred.

Hibbing
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Hibbing. Glad you are enjoying your CA200. If you have a DAC with digital volume control or a PC based source give it a go as a straight power amp using the Theatre bypass input, digital volume control ( hardware or software) and let us know what you think. It's an interesting experiment and I know what I preferred.

As a matter of fact I have both. Thanks for the tip I'll try that right now.