PDA

View Full Version : Dusted off the Thorens TD160 today

Removed
10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Broke out the Thorens TD160 today.....its been on the side lines for awhile since I had sold the Rega arm I had on it. I mounted my Origin Live Illustrious arm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge....Had to do some tweaking with the suspension as the OL arm is a bit heavier than the Rega but she's sounding pretty good.....all in all a good day for some vintage spins, however just a temporary set up as its just keeping the shelf warm for the Clearaudio Ovation that should be in the system shortly.

jwhite613
10-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Jeff.. It sure does look nice. :thumbsup:

jdandy
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Jeff.......Very sweet looking Thorens. I like it.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/turntables/12538d1318122966-dusted-off-thorens-td160-today-td160originlive.jpg

Removed
10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks Jeff, Dan.....

cmalak
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Jeff...looking super nice. Is the carbon fiber-type mat and strip underneath the tonearm as well as the strip that goes across the table purely aesthetic or does it serve a dampening or other function? Just curious. It looks nice for sure but just wandering if it also serves a purpose. :thumbsup:

Removed
10-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Cyril.....The carbon mat kills the ringing from the platter and prevents micro vibrations bleeding up into the arm and cartridge.....the stock rubber mat helped a bit in taming the ringing but it killed the sonics big time.

The arm board is three layers with the top being carbon fiber, middle layer is phenolic and the bottom is aluminum......this works fantastic and really isolates any vibrations getting to the arm......

The carbon fiber piece at the front is more cosmetic as the stock TD160 uses a black aluminum in the same fashion......I wanted to keep some similarity to the stock one.

cmalak
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Cyril.....The carbon mat kills the ringing from the platter and prevents micro vibrations bleeding up into the arm and cartridge.....the stock rubber mat helped a bit in taming the ringing but it killed the sonics big time.

The arm board is three layers with the top being carbon fiber, middle layer is phenolic and the bottom is aluminum......this works fantastic and really isolates any vibrations getting to the arm......

The carbon fiber piece at the front is more cosmetic as the stock TD160 uses a black aluminum in the same fashion......I wanted to keep some similarity to the stock one.

:thumbsup: