PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any thoughts on the MV-60 non SE ...

joeinid
10-01-2011, 02:42 AM
I saw one come up for sale and it looks like the EL34 version (which I think I like) and wonder if there might be some internal updates available while keeping the EL34's or even using KT77's.

Still looking .....

Rafale
10-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Joe ....to my knowledge we can can modify a MV60 in MV 60SE but we cannot change tubes once the modified wiring,thus if you decide for the EL34 version you cannot put the other tubes

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I saw one come up for sale and it looks like the EL34 version (which I think I like) and wonder if there might be some internal updates available while keeping the EL34's or even using KT77's.

Still looking .....

The MV60 was a design that was intended to provide "close to" Premier 11A levels of performance utilzing the EL34 based power tube, and bridge the gap between the MV55 and the Premier 11A. It's sound quality was comparable to the Premier 11A, and the amp puts out 55 Wpc. From an in-depth review in Stereophile in 2002, mention is made that it really wants to see the Sovtek EL34 for best performance and reliability. My guess is you could use the new Gold Lion KT77s with it with good results.

The MV60SE was an MV60 modified to provide the bias voltage required to utilize the 6550C Svetlana power tube. It put out more power and had improved dynamics, mostly due to the 6550 tube. Sam Tellig felt the MV60SE sounded even better than the original MV60, but you always have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Once modded to an MV60SE, you cannot go back to an EL34 w/o having C-J "un-mod" back to original specification. The MV60 could also be bridged to mono if you so desired by C-J at the factory, but a good friend says that this is not advisable with tube stereo amps.

joeinid
10-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Guys! I am trying to get it from the seller. I don't plan on bringing it up to SE status. I like EL34's and if I succeed, I will talk to C-J about KT77's. I imagine bias might be slightly different.

:)

Rafale
10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Conrad Johnson MV-60 For Sale | AudiogoN (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1322622348&/Conrad-Johnson-MV-60-)

joeinid
10-01-2011, 11:40 AM
That's the one I was talking about. I am waiting for a reply from the seller. Fingers crossed. Seems pretty nice.

Rafale
10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
yes very nice.....good luck, Joe

joeinid
10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
yes very nice.....good luck, Joe

Thank you! I have to start somewhere :) Baby steps :yes:

joeinid
10-01-2011, 12:35 PM
OK! I should have my new to me MV-60 by Wed/Thur. :banana: It's mine. I've dipped my toe in the C-J amp pool. This should be fun :smoking:

http://pic3.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1317438136.jpg

Rafale
10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Congrats Joe... you will not be disappointed you risk rather to be surprised by the musicality of this amplifier

jimtranr
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Joe, congratulations on the new acquisition. :banana:

I think it's safe to say that we're all anxious to hear your impressions once it's in-house and up and running.

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
OK! I should have my new to me MV-60 by Wed/Thur. :banana: It's mine. I've dipped my toe in the C-J amp pool. This should be fun :smoking:

http://pic3.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1317438136.jpg

Congratuations! I think you are going to be particularly pleased with the synergy you're going to find with using a C-J preamp with an C-J amp. My P5 should be here Wed. as well!:thumbsup:

joeinid
10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks. I am excited to hear myself.

Congrats Stephen!

joeinid
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Stephen,

Is that a PS Audio P5 or a P5 turntable? I'm so confused :)

Joe

joeinid
10-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I spoke to the seller, C-J can do a cap upgrade on the MV-60 for about $1,000. Should I do it now or wait?

He is already in VA.

turntable
10-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I spoke to the seller, C-J can do a cap upgrade on the MV-60 for about $1,000. Should I do it now or wait?

He is already in VA.

Depends if your plan is to keep the amp, or just a plan to see how it sounds and if you like the cj amp sound? That said, the EL34 is not really thecj sound as they have generally used 6550's with EL34 as an option.

Not sure about the efficiency and easy of drive of the speakers you are planning to use them with. The teflon cap upgrade will not help bass drive at all, but will add to transparency and quietness. Well worth the upgrade, however it will probably not increase the sell price by $1000 if you were to sell.

cheers

joeinid
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Any of my speakers will not be a difficult load for the amp. I realize any upgrade will not bring any additional money down the road. I'm sure it will be something done only for personal satisfaction. I think I'll wait and maybe talk to Ed. I know it can also be rewired for Triode operation for a sweeter sound and lower power, something else I may consider doing. I'll wait until I get it home and get familiar with it.

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Stephen,

Is that a PS Audio P5 or a P5 turntable? I'm so confused :)

Joe

Sorry, a Rega P5 turntable. :D I'm an analog guy....:yes:

Interested in a "starter" Rega TT? My Rega Planar 3/SME III arm TT will be going up for sale soon. They don't get any simpler than Regas.

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 08:07 PM

He is already in VA.

Wait, spend at least 6 mos. getting used to it the way it is first....you might be very happy with it just the way it is.

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Depends if your plan is to keep the amp, or just a plan to see how it sounds and if you like the cj amp sound? That said, the EL34 is not really thecj sound as they have generally used 6550's with EL34 as an option.

Not sure about the efficiency and easy of drive of the speakers you are planning to use them with. The teflon cap upgrade will not help bass drive at all, but will add to transparency and quietness. Well worth the upgrade, however it will probably not increase the sell price by $1000 if you were to sell.

cheers

+1. Great post, Shane.

Joe, also bear in mind those thousand hours you'll need to burn in the Teflon caps...:tears:

joeinid
10-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Wait, spend at least 6 mos. getting used to it the way it is first....you might be very happy with it just the way it is.

:thumbsup: Will do!

Puma Cat
10-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Any of my speakers will not be a difficult load for the amp. I realize any upgrade will not bring any additional money down the road. I'm sure it will be something done only for personal satisfaction. I think I'll wait and maybe talk to Ed. I know it can also be rewired for Triode operation for a sweeter sound and lower power, something else I may consider doing. I'll wait until I get it home and get familiar with it.

Good idea...I would live with it for a number of months and focus on....listening to music! :thumbsup:

joeinid
10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
+1. Great post, Shane.

Joe, also bear in mind those thousand hours you'll need to burn in the Teflon caps...:tears:

Thankfully I do not consider that hard work :thumbsup: sort of a labor of love.

jwhite613
10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Congratulations Joe!!!! Your signature starting to look a lot like Ivan's. :D

joeinid
10-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Congratulations Joe!!!! Your signature starting to look a lot like Ivan's. :D

Thanks Jeff. But I am sure Ivan's stuff is all paid for :tears:

jimtranr
10-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks Jeff. But I am sure Ivan's stuff is all paid for :tears:

:lmao:

Rafale
10-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Good idea...I would live with it for a number of months and focus on....listening to music! :thumbsup:

+1
The hasty conclusions feed the second-hand market, it is regrettable for the first owner but it is the luck of the following one, it is necessary to take its time especially when it is Teflon-inside' .....

JONERVI
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM

He is already in VA.

joeinid,

great amp choice as your first step into the world of CJ.

I previously owned the CJ MV60 SE version.......the superb sound of that amp left me hungry for more CJ, so I traded the MV60SE for my current LP140's.

It appears you have already decided to sit tight and not go for the cap ugrade, which I agree is correct.

Another option is to save the 1K you were gonna spend for the cap upgrades, wait for a MV60SE to show up (usually they sell for $1400-1600) grab it quick then sit back compare your MV60 to the MV60SE version.

You sure wont lose much money on either CJ MV amp whichever version you decide to sell off.

Best of luck.

joeinid
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
joeinid,

great amp choice as your first step into the world of CJ.

I previously owned the CJ MV60 SE version.......the superb sound of that amp left me hungry for more CJ, so I traded the MV60SE for my current LP140's.

It appears you have already decided to sit tight and not go for the cap ugrade, which I agree is correct.

Another option is to save the 1K you were gonna spend for the cap upgrades, wait for a MV60SE to show up (usually they sell for $1400-1600) grab it quick then sit back compare your MV60 to the MV60SE version.

You sure wont lose much money on either CJ MV amp whichever version you decide to sell off.

Best of luck.

Hey that's not a bad idea, I keep looking for deals so I'll keep my eyes open. I'll see it mid next week and can't wait to hook it up. I can directly compare it to my Rogue Atlas, which should be fun. The Rogue can take different tubes (EL34/KT77) so I hope to experience that against the MV-60 with the EL34's. It will be fun to hear the full boat C-J sound.