PDA

View Full Version : New cherry Rega P5 on the way...

Puma Cat
09-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a demo Rega P5 with cherry surround from a dealer back east. The table has less than 50 hours on it, and I got it for 1/3 off MSRP, delivered.

I've always been very intrigued about the Rega P5. I've read and have heard first-hand from friends that it is the sweet spot for performance per dollar in the Rega line and for the price, it seemed like a great deal.

I've always loved the simple and elegant (almost Danish styling) of the table.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/REGATTP5CHY.jpg

My Planar 3 has an SME III arm, and as such, I've never owned a Rega with a Rega arm, and I've always been curious as to how much a top-flight Rega arm contributes to the performance of Rega tables. I've read nothing but great things about the RB700 arm, so my guess is that this table will be capable of very high performance for the money. Once I get the P5, my Planar 3 will be going up for sale...

My plan is to fully tweak this table out, so I will be installing my black-anodized GrooveTracer Reference subplatter in it, and I ordered the Rega TT-PSU from the dealer along with the table. Also on deck will be a GrooveTracer counterweight to sling as much mass below the arm as possible as this is always a better configuration than having the center of gravity of the counterweight mass higher up.

Initially, I will likely put my Grace F9 Ruby or Shelter 501 on the P5. Longer term, though, I am particularly interested in a different flavor than what I have with my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion on my Michell Gyro. One thought is a Lyro Delos...but I'm open to suggestions. It will be fun to have a different table with a different "house sound" to mix things up a bit on the analog front.

Should be here in about a week...:thumbsup:

Volks
09-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Awsome TT! Congratz!

jwhite613
09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
PC Congratulations on the new TT. I've been looking at those also. (If I go for a 2nd table). Looking forward to your impressions.

Rafale
09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Stephen, beautiful TT, I recognize very there your Scandinavian tastes

Jerome W
09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Stephen,
Onve again, Congrats on the new addition to the family ! :thumbsup:
AA has the Rega fever these days !
Those tables are awesome and they are a bargain :banana: !

Rafale
09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
With what arm is she delivered RB900, RB1000?
it seems that Dynavectors are a very good match with Rega arms

Jerome W
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM

RB700 I believe.
Only the P9 has the RB1000. Leave the Queen alone please :D !

I believe that Rega carts are good with Rega arms....I know I'm not very original but I play safe :D

jdandy
09-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Stephen.......Very nice purchase, and a great deal, too. I just looked at the P5 in Gainesville last week. Very attractive turntable. I did not get an opportunity to listen to it, so I am looking forward to your impressions. You are right about the good press the Lyro Delos has been getting. I can also heartily recommend the Ortofon Cadenza Black. I am at about 50 hours on my Cadenza Black, and it is extremely impressive, and opening beautifully as it breaks in.

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 12:45 AM
PC Congratulations on the new TT. I've been looking at those also. (If I go for a 2nd table). Looking forward to your impressions.

Jeff,
I hope to have impressions to contribute in about a week or so...once I get the deck in.

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 12:46 AM

The P5 has the RB700 arm, the same as on the P7. The RB1000 is exclusively for the P9.

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Stephen.......Very nice purchase, and a great deal, too. I just looked at the P5 in Gainesville last week. Very attractive turntable. I did not get an opportunity to listen to it, so I am looking forward to your impressions. You are right about the good press the Lyro Delos has been getting. I can also heartily recommend the Ortofon Cadenza Black. I am at about 50 hours on my Cadenza Black, and it is extremely impressive, and opening beautifully as it breaks in.

Dan,
Thanks.. the dealer even took a little off the price of the TT-PSU and is shipping both out for free, so it's ending up to be quite a good deal.

I may or may not opt for the Lyra...someone else wrote me that it may be too much a good thing on the P5, and a big, meaty, weightier cartridge might be the sweet spot. I'd be interested in the Cadenza Black, but it's a bit out of my price range...and it might be overkill to put a $4000 cartridge on a table that's costing me $950. It's also a bit tall-bodied, and I might need some Rega VTA spacers for the arm to get the VTA right. I'd even consider a MM like the Clearaudio Maestro Wood. We'll see. In honor of the P5 purchase, I'm listening to my Rega Planar 3 right now with the Grace F9 Ruby and the Premier 17, and sounds well...pretty luscious, I gotta say. So, the Grace may be on the P5 for a little while until I decide on something, the Grace will likely go on first, then after that, I will give the Shelter 501 MkII a try.

But finding a cartridge instead of the Grace or Shelter are lower priorities. First, I need to find another phono stage...preferably something higher performing than the EAR834P (which is no slouch), but with 2 phono inputs (sorry, Jerome, an ARC Ref 2 is right out). If I can find one of those, then I can use the EAR for the Clearaudio Concept mono deck.

miner
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
When I had my P5 I used the Rega Exact cartridge - a nice match for that level of TT. A Dynavector DV20XH would be a good match too. You made the right choice by getting the TTPSU. Enjoy your new TT - a great value BTW.

Audio 1
09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Stephen,

Congratulations on the Rega P5 purchase. Should look very nice with the 3.4's!
The Rega flu is starting to spread on AA and everyone seems to be very happy :yes:

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
When I had my P5 I used the Rega Exact cartridge - a nice match for that level of TT. A Dynavector DV20XH would be a good match too. You made the right choice by getting the TTPSU. Enjoy your new TT - a great value BTW.

Stephen,

You won't be surprised to hear that I also recommend the Exact !
And Dave too I suppose !
I know that you 're a MC believer but you should really hear the Exact on a Rega arm. Don't be fooled by its relative low price tag.

Rafale
09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Dynavector XX2 MKII (http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_xx2mk2.html)
Apheta or dynavector XX2mk2, imo the VFM of this later is amazing

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Dynavector XX2 MKII (http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_xx2mk2.html)
Apheta or dynavector XX2mk2, imo the VFM of this later is amazing

Philippe,

Did you read the Apheta review in Stereophile ?
It does not give the will to buy !

Rafale
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Jérôme
If you read Steve Harris's article in HI-FI News you are going to want to buy it.....
HFN August 2008- Rega P9 / RB1000/apheta/Ios phonostage
Editor's Choice
HFN verdict 85/100
''Yes this player system is a tour de force......it is a spectacularly good value.

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Jérôme
If you read Steve Harris's article in HI-FI News you are going to want to buy it.....
HFN August 2008- Rega P9 / RB1000/apheta/Ios phonostage
Editor's Choice
HFN verdict 85/100
''Yes this player system is a tour de force......it is a spectacularly good value.

Philippe,
The "roast beefs" like their gear as much as the "frogs" like theirs :D !
Does not mean so much to me.
They just defend their economy and that is a good thing !

Rafale
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Jérôme
Easy to say and applicable to all the reviews
they do like Devialet, Lavardin, Jadis, Neodio, Audioaero....Sonus Faber, Kuzma, Nagra etc

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Jérôme
Easy to say and applicable to all the reviews
they do like Devialet, Lavardin, Jadis, Neodio, Audioaero....Sonus Faber, Kuzma, Nagra etc

Yes, they like everything....
I don't often read an average review of a product. Too bad because we could learn a lot !

Rafale
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=C220MC275;209645]Yes, they like everything....

I shall not quote what they do not like....

Rafale
09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.sigsound.com/PDFs/RegaP9Apheta.pdf

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.sigsound.com/PDFs/RegaP9Apheta.pdf

Philippe,
Thanks for the review.
Actually Jeff likes the P9 even more than what he wrote here. :D

Rafale
09-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Philippe,
Thanks for the review.
Actually Jeff likes the P9 even more than what he wrote here. :D

I suppose that Stereophile considers that Apheta is bright ?

cmalak
09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Stephen...congrats on the P5 :thumbsup: looking forward to hear your thoughts on it, especially as compared to your Michell deck :yes:

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Put simply yes !

f1 fan
09-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Stephen...congrats my friend on your purchase of a very fine Rega 'table. I recommend the Exact cartridge because it's a great deal and no fuss having to add spacers and such to the tone arm affecting the VTA. All this said it's a great 'table right out of the box and one you can tweak if the desire should occur. Looking forward to your pix and impressions.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Jerome W
09-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Stephen...congrats my friend on your purchase of a very fine Rega 'table. I recommend the Exact cartridge because it's a great deal and no fuss having to add spacers and such to the tone arm affecting the VTA. All this said it's a great 'table right out of the box and one you can tweak if the desire should occur. Looking forward to your pix and impressions.

Dave

A big +1 !

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Somehow the Exact just doesn't really appeal to me. If I ultimately go with a MM cartridge, it will be more along the lines of a Clearaudio Maestro Wood or a Soundsmith Ebony Voice.

Jerome W
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks, Dave.

Somehow the Exact just doesn't really appeal to me. If I ultimately go with a MM cartridge, it will be more along the lines of a Clearaudio Maestro Wood or a Soundsmith Ebony Voice.

Stephen,

Sorry to ask but did you listen to it or is it just based on reviews ?
The Exact outperforms its price tag. It must be heard to be believed.

Puma Cat
09-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Mikey Fremer noted a brightness to the upper mids that he was never able to vanquish during the review period, but Jeff noted in his review that this was due to impedance loading, and that the Apheta should see a maximum of 100 ohms loading and even less was better. It's entirely possible Fremer did not explore loading in his Apheta review. So, who's to say?. FWIW, I never see any editors/reviewers using Aphetas as a reference cartridge.

miner
09-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Yes. Probably because of loading issues as Jeff pointed out. Apheta is on my list of cartridges to supplement my current Lyra Delos.

BlueChiaro
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Stephen,

Great to hear about your purchase! Like everyone else, I look forward to your listening experiences. I also anxiously await your quality photos. Congrats.
Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

Rafale
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Yes. Probably because of loading issues as Jeff pointed out. Apheta is on my list of cartridges to supplement my current Lyra Delos.

Mikey Fremer noted a brightness to the upper mids that he was never able to vanquish during the review period, but Jeff noted in his review that this was due to impedance loading, and that the Apheta should see a maximum of 100 ohms loading and even less was better. It's entirely possible Fremer did not explore loading in his Apheta review. So, who's to say?. FWIW, I never see any editors/reviewers using Aphetas as a reference cartridge.

from the HFN P9/RB1000/Apheta/Ios review : the Rega IOS phonostage include a filter to compensate for a peak in the MC's response, this adjustable filter is designed to enhance the Apheta cartridge by reducing unwanted high frequency energy present. It is described as a notch filter centred on 8.5 kHz, adjustable from 0 to -6.5dB and said to be useful for older presings with higher surface noise.

Puma Cat
09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Ah, so that explains it. 8.5 Khz is certainly upper mids/lower highs range.

Personally, I think that's a band-aid...the cartridge shouldn't have that problem in the first place from a design perspective.

It's akin to putting a steering damper on a sport motorcycle to prevent tankslappers when the real solution is proper chassis/steering geometry design.

Puma Cat
09-28-2011, 04:11 PM
from the HFN P9/RB1000/Apheta/Ios review : the Rega IOS phonostage include a filter to compensate for a peak in the MC's response, this adjustable filter is designed to enhance the Apheta cartridge by reducing unwanted high frequency energy present. It is described as a notch filter centred on 8.5 kHz, adjustable from 0 to -6.5dB and said to be useful for older presings with higher surface noise.

And of course, the surface noise being present because Roy Gandy does not believe in washing your records.

Puma Cat
09-28-2011, 04:13 PM

I dunno...personally, I wouldn't bother; I would probably go with Ortofon Cadenza or a Dynavector.

Or even a Koetsu, that would be nicely different from a Lyra.

miner
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Thank you Puma Cat - i cetainly won't go the Apheta route unless I can hearone first. I blindly took the leap on a previous Dynavector 20XH and my curent Lyra Delos and neither one dsiappointed me.

Puma Cat
10-05-2011, 02:52 PM
My new Rega P5 is at the local FEDEX depot...heading over now to pick it up! :thumbsup:

Pix to follow...

f1 fan
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
My new Rega P5 is at the local FEDEX depot...heading over now to pick it up! :thumbsup:

Pix to follow...

Stephen...congrats buddy on a fine 'table! Looking forward to the pix...

Dave

BlueChiaro
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
My new Rega P5 is at the local FEDEX depot...heading over now to pick it up!

YEE HAW! Gonna be a fun night... :yes:

Puma Cat
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Okay...it's all set up and playin' music!

Pix to come when I get back from the chiropractor, but here's a teaser photo:

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-6.jpg

Just played a few LPs, but so far, this deck sounds fantastic, bloody good as the Brits would say! :thumbsup:

jwhite613
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Steven... Congratulations! & Very nice! :thumbsup:

BlueChiaro
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Love the cherry! :thumbsup:

f1 fan
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Stunning!!

Dave

Puma Cat
10-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Okay, here are some more pix....
The business end of the GrooveTracer Reference subplatter, complete with sapphire jewel.
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-2.jpg

This jeweled end bearing is what really lowers the noise floor, IMHO, in combination with...the zirconium oxide ceramic ball bearing...

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-3.jpg

The subplatter installed and ready to go...sch-weet!
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-4.jpg

A GrooveTracer Reference is a MUST for all (non-P9) Regas, IMHO. This one is a trick, one-off black anodized one.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-5.jpg

The TT-PSU awaits...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-7.jpg

Installed the Grace F9E Ruby, got it all aligned perfect with the UNI, and she's good to go and making beautiful music!

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Rega%20P5-8.jpg

Complete with patented Stalking Leopard...

f1 fan
10-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Stephen...beautiful 'table, congrats to you my friend.

Dave

Puma Cat
10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Dave...just sitting here, having a beer and really enjoying the music this little deck is making. For the money, it's phenomenal. The Grace F9E Ruby has never sounded better.

JJinID
10-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Great looking table Stephen - thanks for sharing the pics! :thumbsup:

I really like the cherry - if it sounds anywhere as good as it looks you are a happy man! :music:

f1 fan
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Dave...just sitting here, having a beer and really enjoying the music this little deck is making. For the money, it's phenomenal. The Grace F9E Ruby has never sounded better.

Stephen...nothing like a cold beer and some tunes on a great 'table. Enjoy!

Dave

Volks
10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Beautiful TT :)

cmalak
10-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Stephen...congrats on the new P5 :thumbsup: Great pics!

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Great looking table Stephen - thanks for sharing the pics! :thumbsup:

I really like the cherry - if it sounds anywhere as good as it looks you are a happy man! :music:

Thanks, JJ...

It sounds BETTER than it looks! Ha! :D

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Stephen...congrats on the new P5 :thumbsup: Great pics!

Thank you, Cyril.

Certainly enjoying spinning some tunes on it this evening.

Something that impresses immediately is this table is really QUIET.

joeinid
10-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi Stephen,

Absolutely looks beautiful. Congratulations! I love it and I'm happy you are having a great time with it.

Joe

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks, Joe. It's really been fun listening to it this evening...been digging out LPs I haven't heard in a while, and that's always a good sign!

Jerome W
10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Congrats Stephen !
Very nice !
Enjoy it in great health buddy ! :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Congrats Stephen !
Very nice !
Enjoy it in great health buddy ! :thumbsup:

Merci, Jérôme.

I'm home for vacation this week and next, and have just been sitting here all day listening to music and enjoying the h*ll out of this table. :thumbsup:

jwhite613
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Merci, Jérôme.

I'm home for vacation this week and next, and have just been sitting here all day listening to music and enjoying the h*ll out of this table. :thumbsup:

Steven... Nice how that worked out. New table to enjoy with 2 weeks vacation. Looks great!

Audio 1
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Merci, Jérôme.

I have always wanted to have a day or so off just to enjoy music, but something else always seems to take precedence :tears:

Enjoy your time off and enjoy the new P5 :thumbsup:

(P.S. uncrating the C2 Sig's tonight!)

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Jeff...right now, I am listening to some Christopher Parkening classical guitar ("In the Spanish Style)"...classical has been on deck all morning and the P5 is taking it in stride, no problems.

On another note, my cat Lucky just came out to listen, he likes quiet jazz piano (Bill Evans is big with Lucky), classical solo piano (Brailowski playing Chopin) and acoustic solo classical guitar, including apparently, Parkening playing "in the Spanish style"! ;)

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I have always wanted to have a day or so off just to enjoy music, but something else always seems to take precedence :tears:

Enjoy your time off and enjoy the new P5 :thumbsup:

(P.S. uncrating the C2 Sig's tonight!)

Oh, man! Uncrating C2 Sigs! I am VERY envious...congrats! :thumbsup:

Somebody's gonna be up late listening!

We want pics and impressions ASAP! Then, like Turntable (Shane) you got some serious running in to do....

Audio 1
10-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh, man! Uncrating C2 Sigs! I am VERY envious...congrats! :thumbsup:

Somebody's gonna be up late listening!

We want pics and impressions ASAP! Then, like Turntable (Shane) you got some serious running in to do....

I have spent the last two weeks preparing for this moment!
A lot of work in preparation for all new furniture and amplification requiring removing everything from the room and adding another dedicated circuit.

Would be nice to have a dedicated Dynaudio area here and get some of the guys from AVS over here :yes:

I will certainly post some pictures and listening impressions when time permits.

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I have spent the last two weeks preparing for this moment!
A lot of work in preparation for all new furniture and amplification requiring removing everything from the room and adding another dedicated circuit.

Would be nice to have a dedicated Dynaudio area here and get some of the guys from AVS over here :yes:

I will certainly post some pictures and listening impressions when time permits.

Well, let me know how it goes...I'm waiting with bated breath! ;)

We do need to get some more guys from AVS over here and maybe Ivan will then create a dedicated Dynaudio area for us...Jaxwired is here and pops in from time to time. We could get Dynero who is also a McIntosh guy, maybe CD, Borderdog, etc.

jwhite613
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Well, let me know how it goes...I'm waiting with bated breath! ;)

We do need to get some more guys from AVS over here and maybe Ivan will then create a dedicated Dynaudio area for us...Jaxwired is here and pops in from time to time. We could get Dynero who is also a McIntosh guy, maybe CD, Borderdog, etc.

Why not ask Ivan to give Dynaudio a forum and see if there is support for it. It worked with Shindo most recently. The CJ forum has taken off recently to. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Jeff, I'm sure Ivan will be happy to do that once we get enough members that are Dyn users/fans/owners to have critical mass to get something going for us. I will post some PMs at AVS and see if we can get some Dyn owners to come over and join the AA family.

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, as I'm vacation this week and next, I've spent the day enjoying the P5. I've been listening a lot to quiet classical music most of the day. Including a lot of lute and classical guitar. My cat Lucky has been out in the room at lot with me today. He's particularly fond of quiet music, e.g. Bill Evans jazz piano, classical piano (he seems to have a fondness for Brailowsky playing Chopin), and of course, solo classical guitar.

Was doing some reading online while listening to Christopher Parkening playing Bach, and just snagged this photo....

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Lucky-1.jpg

Guess I'm not the only one who's enjoying the Rega! ;)

He looks so comfy I don't have the heart to disturb him or change the type of music...c'est la vie!

jwhite613
10-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Steven... Great Picture! I think you need another chair for Lucky. :D

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, he likes the Zero Gravity chair...and music like this.

I've been telling an audio buddy, Gregory, who is particularly fond of Bill Evans, that Lucky really seems to like Bill Evans also, cause everytime I have Bill Evans on, he comes in and plunks down in the front of the stereo.

Gregory was over two weeks ago, and put Bill Evans' Moonbeams on. Well, sure enough, in trots Lucky, who proceeds to plunk down in front of Gregory and settle down for a listen.

Had a GF once whose cat really loved Beethoven.

f1 fan
10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, as I'm vacation this week and next, I've spent the day enjoying the P5. I've been listening a lot to quiet classical music most of the day. Including a lot of lute and classical guitar. My cat Lucky has been out in the room at lot with me today. He's particularly fond of quiet music, e.g. Bill Evans jazz piano, classical piano (he seems to have a fondness for Brailowsky playing Chopin), and of course, solo classical guitar.

Was doing some reading online while listening to Christopher Parkening playing Bach, and just snagged this photo....

He looks so comfy I don't have the heart to disturb him or change the type of music...c'est la vie!

Stephen...beautiful pic, nothing better than a cool cat and great music.

Dave

BlueChiaro
10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Stephen...thoroughly enjoying your thread, and I'm glad to "hear" the excitement for your new table in your writing. Very happy for you...wish I lived closer to have a listen.

chessman
10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Stephen, BIG CONGRATS on the TT and a cool cat!

Puma Cat
10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Randy.

Jerome W
10-07-2011, 12:34 AM
He likes it for sure Stephen !
3 TTs and a cat.....
I have 2 TTs and 2 cats so we're not so far...:D

joeinid
10-07-2011, 01:12 AM

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Lucky-1.jpg

Hi Stephen,

You put a big smile on my face with the photo and captions. You have a really nice, beautiful system. We are enjoying it with you. Don't worry about Lucky, the same thing happens to me. Good stereo and good music, I am down for the count. :boring::D

Joe

Jerome W
10-07-2011, 01:26 AM
BTW Stephen, Lucky has the perfect name for being YOUR cat ! :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 01:30 AM
BTW Stephen, Lucky has the perfect name for being YOUR cat ! :thumbsup:

Jérôme,
Merci beaucoup, mon ami.

Actually, you're not the first person to say this, but the way I see it, I am one who is lucky, lucky to have him!

He has a wonderful, sweet, heart.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Stephen...thoroughly enjoying your thread, and I'm glad to "hear" the excitement for your new table in your writing. Very happy for you...wish I lived closer to have a listen.

Thanks, Robert. It'd be great to be able to have you and the others over a for listen.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Hi Stephen,

You put a big smile on my face with the photo and captions. You have a really nice, beautiful system. We are enjoying it with you. Don't worry about Lucky, the same thing happens to me. Good stereo and good music, I am down for the count. :boring::D

Joe

Thank, Joe. I am certainly enjoying it the last few days on vacazione. I only had three vacation days off since last Christmas, and was really ready for a break. :yes:

The system isn't the be-all and end-all of high end, with unbelievable transparency, detail, dynamics, power, all that audiophile hoo-ha, etc., but it is musical as all get-out.

Funny thing...the P5's been having the same effect on me, too....there's something that it's doing that's triggering endorphins or some interesting brain receptors, but I find myself not listening to the gear and becoming completely absorbed in the music, and kind of almost nodding off in the nicest way. What's interesting is that I found a review of the P5 by an individual somewhere (Vinyl Asylum, maybe) and he said the P5 put him to sleep.... :scratch2:

By the way, I have some nice mellow Oscar Peterson on, and guess who's here by my chair? The Luckmeister!

Jerome W
10-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Stephen,

That is exactly how I feel when I listen to the Rega table. I focus on music.
With the Clearaudio, I listen more to the sounds. I like it also but the Rega seems more liquid.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Stephen,

That is exactly how I feel when I listen to the Rega table. I focus on music.
With the Clearaudio, I listen more to the sounds. I like it also but the Rega seems more liquid.

Jérôme,

My Michell is pretty liquid-sounding, suspended tables have a way of doing that; probably more so than the P5, and it has a better cart on it, but I am very, very impressed with the P5 so far, and enjoying very much what it is doing musically. I'll be posting first impressions tomorrow, but I would say the Michell is warmer and more liquid, the Rega is more neutral and punchier than the Michell, but both are very musical, just in different ways. The P5 is quite a bit better than my old Planar 3, that's for sure. I think a lot of that is due to the arm; the RB700 is a much better arm than the old SME III with it's knife-edge bearings.

I can only imagine how good the P9 is. Does your wife still like the Rega better?

Jerome W
10-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Yes Stephen,
Suspended tables are generally less neutral.
The way I see it, is that the best compromise is given by low mass non suspended tables like Rega.
High mass big TT's like my Clearaudio are more neutral, but to the point that their sound is closer to digital. Better than digital but close ! And suspended tables are more colored.
The P9 is my best all around performer from all the TT's I got.
I will have to ask my wife if she still prefers it over the big Clearaudio.

ehoove
10-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Yes Stephen,
Suspended tables are generally less neutral.
The way I see it, is that the best compromise is given by low mass non suspended tables like Rega.
High mass big TT's like my Clearaudio are more neutral, but to the point that their sound is closer to digital. Better than digital but close ! And suspended tables are more colored.
The P9 is my best all around performer from all the TT's I got.
I will have to ask my wife if she still prefers it over the big Clearaudio.

Jerome,
I have never heard it put quite that way, but I think you are spot on in that assessment of table types. That really has been my experiance as well, although with not quite the high caliber of tables used to reach your conclusion.

I plan on changing out the spring suspension of the TD150 using a rubber hose compression type, so it will be interesting to heard the change in sonic character of that table, IMHO

Puma - great looking table! Sorry to go sideways a bit.
Regards,
Jim

joeinid
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi Stephen,

The P5 sounds like my kind of TT :) The setup even looks like something I could handle. Maybe, just maybe I could be tempted.

Joe

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Set-up is really easy on these. The only part that requires a little fiddling is mounting a non-Rega cartridge and aligning it with a protractor. I think that took me all of 15 minutes. I believe you can order a P5 with a Rega Exact pre-mounted, though, like Jerome has done with his P9. The Exact must be pretty good if Jerome is getting excellent results out of it with a $5K table! If you get a Rega Exact separately, there is no fiddling as the arm comes pre-aligned for Rega cartridges. It's three little mounting bolts, and you're good to go!

Right now, Music Direct is selling P5s for $995! Screamin' deal. You might be able to talk to them and see if you can get a comparable deal for one with an Exact cartridge pre-mounted. If so, it'll take you longer to get it out of the box than to set it up. Be sure to pick up a TT-PSU (much better power supply) for $375....definitely worth the money and a no-brainer.

As Shane has said in the C-J thread, C-J and vinyl are made to go together (gee, I wonder if that's why his handle is "Turntable"? ;))

jwhite613
10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Joe... Vinyl is a lot of fun to listen too. IMO it sounds better too.

joeinid
10-07-2011, 01:02 PM

I have no doubt Vinyl is better and even heard the difference in a superb system. Night and day difference. I'm afraid of dust - keeping records and TT clean. :tears:

f1 fan
10-07-2011, 01:04 PM

+1...

Dave

jwhite613
10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I have no doubt Vinyl is better and even heard the difference in a superb system. Night and day difference. I'm afraid of dust - keeping records and TT clean. :tears:

Joe... Dust is easily taken care of and inexpensively.

bakerman
10-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Stephen,

Congrats on the P5. I'm glad it's exceeding your expectations :thumbsup:

I know your Concept table is set up for mono, but how would you compare the two? I've been doing some research and the Concept and the RP3 is on my short list, but at that price I may have to consider the P5.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Doug,
There's no doubt the Concept is excellent, I am very impressd with it. I put my Grado Reference Sonata in it when I first got it and I was impressed with it's performance. It really seems to like wood-bodied cartridges, probably because they add a nice degree of warmth. I didn't like my Shelter in the Concept as much as I did the Grado Ref Sonata. My mono Ref Sonata1 is even better than my "original" Sonata because of the new stylus/cantilever design in the new 1-series Grados, which are a BIG improvement.

They are supposed to work VERY well with the Clearaudio Maestro Wood as well as the Benz wood-bodied MCs.

IMO, the Concept is a better deck than a P3-24 and an RP3. As to whether it's better than the P5 is harder to say. I would love to have two identical cartridges around that I could mount in both and do a shoot-out. My guess is the P5 would edge out the Concept, though. That's with a GrooveTracer Reference subplatter and TT-PSU, bear in mind.

The Concept is $1400, you can get a new P5 for $995 at Music Direct and a TT-PSU for a bit less than the price of a Concept. Given they are so close, I think that's an easy choice right now. I've also heard of some folks who have had quality control issues with Concepts. All Regas are very well made and extremely durable, so right now I would give the nod to the P5.

Puma Cat
10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I put the smoke tinted cover from my Planar 3 on the P5.

Guys, what do you think?

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Smoked%20Cover-1.jpg

chessman
10-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I like it!

BlueChiaro
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I prefer her naked...

Face
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I prefer her naked...
That should be a given. :D

IMO, the smoked cover looks better.

Puma Cat
10-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I prefer her naked...

Well, yeah..:)

I always completely remove the cover when playing records. The cover only goes on when not in use.

f1 fan
10-08-2011, 02:51 PM
If you must cover her I like the smoked but prefer naked...

Dave

Rafale
10-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I put the smoke tinted cover from my Planar 3 on the P5.

Guys, what do you think?

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Smoked%20Cover-1.jpg

nice....
spitfire in the background ?

Puma Cat
10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Ha! Only a guy would notice a Spitfire in the background from a partial crop of a model in a small part of the photo. I'm convinced that one of the genes that is on the Y chromosome is the ability to identify aircraft! LOL! You'd never hear a woman make a comment like that.

Yes, that is a diecast model by Gemini Jets from a series called "Gemini Aces". The detail and build quality is superb....this model of Spitfire was used by the USAAF during the campaign in North Africa, hence desert colors and American markings.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Spit.jpg

I have thing for Spits...

Rafale
10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/IMG_0326.jpg?t=
love me Spitfires too.....1/48 kit

jwhite613
10-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Steven... Looks good with the smoked cover. Hopefully it won't have to spend much time covered. :D

Jerome W
10-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Stephen,

When you spin a record, you remove the cover because it has an effect on the sound right ?
I have noticed that the P9 cover can be left in place with no effect. A good think to keep the record clean when it is being played !

Puma Cat
10-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Hi Jerome,
Yes, I usually remove the cover when using the Rega.

chessman
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Stephen,

When you spin a record, you remove the cover because it has an effect on the sound right ?
I have noticed that the P9 cover can be left in place with no effect. A good think to keep the record clean when it is being played !

Jerome,

I played a few albums with the covers on in the '70's but they always sounded scratchy. ;)

Jerome W
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Jerome,

I played a few albums with the covers on in the '70's but they always sounded scratchy. ;)

:lmao:

Puma Cat
10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
FWIW, I do remove my album covers before playing LPs, but I leave the MoFi sleeves on so they don't get dusty! :p

Jerome W
10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
FWIW, I do remove my album covers before playing LPs, but I leave the MoFi sleeves on so they don't get dusty! :p

Stephen, this one is a bit "rechauffé" :D !

Rafale
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I always leave the stylus guard in, so my cartridge remains very :roflmao:clean....